Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2015, 19:49   #17716
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Just for the information, this is on the lane towards the City from the airport side.
I had posted the same in the Rants on Bangalore Traffic thread, but it was moved here. So yes, please inform others about this, so that they can be prepared to face some jams.

Cabbies - Never learn. Its a Do or Die for them. They do rash stuff and then die one day. There is no learning in between. I wish the driver survived to tell his story to others.

Today, I was driving to airport at around 80 kmph and these airport taxis zoomed past me and disappeared from the horizon. Must be doing 120 - 130kmph.
Half a year back, had encountered one of these idiots. He was doing 100s' and the overspeeding warning system started saying "Please slow down. You are crossing the speed limit". The bugger switched it off and continued. I had to intervene 6 times to make him slow down.
I completely agree with S9. While the older more experienced drivers are more experienced, the younger ones are death on wheels. They care 2 hoots for others and simply drive all out. For trips around 3 days, I use my car and the BIAL long term car park just to avoid them.

Frankly being a daily user of the airport route, I have no respect for them. They are like autos on crack.

Last edited by itwasntme : 30th May 2015 at 19:50. Reason: Bold
Old 30th May 2015, 20:03   #17717
BHPian

Saw an interesting accident in Kollam near the KSRTC Bus Depot.

An Eicher truck loaded with timber was waiting at the signal (the road is sloping upwards towards the signal). On green, he gunned it in first gear, and popped a wheelie!

Sad that the truck stayed in the wheelie position even after it came to a stand still. Literally, STAND still

Sorry I couldn't click pictures as I was the only one in the car and there was a police man trying to sort out the block!
Old 30th May 2015, 20:04   #17718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
For trips around 3 days, I use my car and the BIAL long term car park just to avoid them.
I have been doing that for Monday-Friday trips for a few years now. The cost of parking still works out to be lesser than cab fare for me both ways. Plus the complete peace of mind that comes from driving myself. :-)

The last time though (April 30 - May 3), when I returned I had a cracked windshield - the thunderstorms of that weekend, I think. Cost me Rs. 5500 at Windshield Experts to replace it. Perils of the open parking at BIAL.
Old 30th May 2015, 20:10   #17719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
...Strangely, airbags didn't opened on a frontal impact...
Airbags not getting deployed in such a severe frontal accident is definitely a cause of worry. Not expected from a Toyota Innova.
Old 30th May 2015, 20:45   #17720
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Strangely, airbags didn't opened on a frontal impact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
Airbags not getting deployed in such a severe frontal accident is definitely a cause of worry. Not expected from a Toyota Innova.
From the pictures, it appears the truck didn't have underrun protection bars fitted, since the left headlight is intact. This meant that the trailer of the truck went straight into the windshield and A-pillar. The airbag sensors are placed behind the bumpers in the frame, so with no impact to & deformation in this region, the airbags haven't deployed.

Your friends are lucky - such accidents typically have worse consequences, since no crumple zones take the impact, and all the force comes into the A-pillar, and into the passenger compartment.
arunphilip is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2015, 23:13   #17721
BHPian

Chennai:

Saw a Black Santro Xing (TN-09-BC-****) with Got Bhp on the tail gate near LB road. Was following it in my friend's dzire. Didn't bother to signal or grab his attention as I was in an unstickered vehicle.
I changed lane and was parallel to him at madhya kailash signal. The signal turned green & we were just accelerating, the road was milled. Someone came in front of the innova that was ahead of this xing. The Innova slammed the brakes and I sensed something was gonna happen and... This xing rear ended it and a biker rear ended the xing, the dzire I was in escaped by a whisker as I didn't slam my brakes, or else the biker would have rammed into me as well. The bonnet got crumpled in the impact but, the innova had very minimal damage. Sad sight, couldn't stop there as traffic was piling up. The xing also had a "I (heart) Juno" sticker.
If its a fellow BHPian, I'm sorry about your car mate! Hope you get it fixed asap.
Old 31st May 2015, 10:50   #17722
BHPian

Sorry to hear about the accident and hope the xing driver was belted up.
On stupid question if the biker rear ended the xing and you were parallel how could the biker ram into you also
Dieseldunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2015, 12:34   #17723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Strangely, airbags didn't opened on a frontal impact.
I see that the bumper and ORVMs are black coloured and not body coloured.
Generally black bumpers and ORVMs indicate base variants of a car.

I think there wasn't any airbag in the innova since it looks like a base variant.
Old 31st May 2015, 12:58   #17724
BHPian

Quote:

I think there wasn't any airbag in the innova since it looks like a base variant.
I believe that all Toyota vehicles now come with dual airbags as standard.
Old 31st May 2015, 13:18   #17725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
I believe that all Toyota vehicles now come with dual airbags as standard.
Good observation Soumyajit. The bumper and ORVMs are black coloured and not body coloured. Generally black bumpers and ORVMs indicate base variants of a car. You are absolutely right. This could be the lower variant Innova GX.

RavSam you are correct to a certain extent. All variants of Toyota vehicles do come equipped with airbags as standard. However the GX variant, as in this case, comes equipped with only driver side airbag. Since the bumpers are untouched, where the airbag sensors are mounted, there would not have been any trigger for the driver airbag to deploy.
Old 31st May 2015, 18:34   #17726
BHPian

Accidents in India - PICS

This is near Pithagam just before Villupuram on NH45 Trichy - Chennai highway. The Volvo bus could not notice the left curve and has hit the median and has landed on the other side of the road. It has also hit oncoming state transport bus which got heavily damaged to its right. It took 15 mins to cross the spot. State transport bus will not be seen in these pictures.

Different reports from local channels, one channel says casualty is 1 whereas other says 3.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1433077203.521670.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1433077276.626205.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1433077335.530703.jpg

Last edited by couswheels : 31st May 2015 at 18:43.
Old 1st June 2015, 07:37   #17727
Senior - BHPian

Someone posted these ghastly accident images on HVK Forum on Facebook. Sharing here. Credits to original uploader.

Casualties: 3 Dead

No, there is nothing to do with Dzire build quality or anything, that people usually start debating on. No one can survive in a sandwich of two trucks even in the safest of cars with 10 or more airbags.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-fb_img_1433118014963.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-fb_img_1433118020840.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-fb_img_1433118024385.jpg

Last edited by ampere : 3rd June 2015 at 10:01. Reason: Removed one picture to make it suitable for viewing for all
Soumyajit9 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2015, 07:55   #17728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Someone posted these ghastly accident images on HVK Forum on Facebook. Sharing here. Credits to original uploader.

Casualties: 3 Dead

No, there is nothing to do with Dzire build quality or anything, that people usually start debating on. No one can survive in a sandwich of two trucks even in the safest of cars with 10 or more airbags.
Was this a case of overtaking gone horribly wrong. Looks like the car tried to overtake the second truck on the corner. The driver must have failed to notice the oncoming truck. The car must have got sandwiched between the two trucks.
Old 1st June 2015, 08:01   #17729
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post

Was this a case of overtaking gone horribly wrong. Looks like the car tried to overtake the second truck on the corner. The driver must have failed to notice the oncoming truck. The car must have got sandwiched between the two trucks.
Weren't these two trucks heading for a full on cabin to cabin if the dzire had not been caught in the middle?
Old 1st June 2015, 08:21   #17730
Senior - BHPian

Saw this accident on SH88 between Madikeri and Sulia.

Overspeeding + bald tyres caused this according to the locals.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20150531_072442.jpg

Diesel tank had ruptured, it was so helpful of the locals to stop the leak by filling it up in bottles and buckets for their own vehicles.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20150531_072507.jpg

On my way back, I saw this car up and running on the highway despite a smashed A pillar No pictures since I was driving
SunnyBoi is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed