Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2015, 09:10   #17896
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Bad news pouring in from every where.

http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/6-dea...-lateststories

http://www.ndtv.com/andhra-pradesh-n...-lateststories

Yesterday a bus got electrocuted in rajasthan and these 2 incidents reported today have claimed more than 50 lives.
Old 13th June 2015, 09:23   #17897
BHPian

22 Pilgrims returning from Tirupati died when their van fell off Dowleswaram barrage at Rajahmundry. Link: http://m.ndtv.com/andhra-pradesh-new...pradesh-771216
Old 13th June 2015, 09:43   #17898
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
1. Woman #1 should have looked for oncoming traffic before opening the car door
In my opinion, Woman #1 is at fault

- First, its always advised to open the door on the side where there is no traffic.

- Second, she should have checked for other vehicles/pedestrians before opening the door.

- She could have turned on the hazzard light to indicate the other car to stop or at least given some hand signal.

And do you know how long she took to open the door? If she has take some time after stopping, obviously other driver will try to pass on.

CCTVs will help in these kind of scenarios.

Regarding the speed limit of 10Kmph, how many of them really follow this rule?! We have the same rule in our apartment and very few follow this rule. There were times when I was doing 10Kmph and the guy behind me overtook me
Old 13th June 2015, 09:43   #17899
BHPian

Quote:
TBHP opinions welcome. I personally told both of them that there were faults on both sides, and they should chalk it up to a lesson learnt in driving safety and get their own cars fixed with their own insurance.
I don't think one can attribute all the fault to anyone. Though the person opening the door should have had some common sense to check. Same applies to the second lady driving, albeit her fault is somewhat less.

Honestly, bury the hatchet over a cup of coffee and claim insurance. Works best in such a scenario.
pratyush6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2015, 10:41   #17900
Team-BHP Support

Woman 1 at fault for lacking peripheral sense, woman 2 at fault for lacking anticipatory skills, both lacking patience and proper indication (1 could've indicated stopping, 2 could've indicated intent to pass). Difficult to say who's more at fault, but definitely bad driving on both sides.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 13th June 2015 at 10:48.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2015, 10:57   #17901
BHPian

A cruel accident took place near Tonk, Rajsthan.

A high tension wire fell on a bus carrying a wedding party. Over 30 people got electrocuted are claimed to be dead. There were some kids in the bus too, few of them were even less than 6 years old.

:(

http://zeenews.india.com/news/rajast...s_1612192.html

Detailed coverage and pictures in Hindi Bhaskar: http://www.bhaskar.com/news-ht/c-10-2146427-NOR.html

Last edited by Aditya : 16th June 2015 at 12:39. Reason: Grammar
Old 13th June 2015, 11:06   #17902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Regarding the Audi accident, what surprises me is that she seems to have driven around in Mumbai quite a lot (Marine Drive, Chembur, etc) at midnight, but was not stopped by any police patrol. Don't they have this police checks at nakas like they used to have earlier ? I remember being stopped for checks at night while riding to work - sometime in the mid-nineties.

Given the stringent check on DUI and general patrolling in place in Chennai today, she would have been intercepted much before she could do damage.
They usually stop male drivers - but not female ones. This is because they come really close to smell you and only if they smell alcohol do they do a test. Most of the cops deployed are males. I guess after this incident, they might have to come up with a new system.
Old 13th June 2015, 12:29   #17903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Woman #1's car pulls up in front of the entrance of one of the blocks and opens the door to get down and pick someone up. Another car coming up from behind her car decides it is the best time to overtake, and goes past - only to have woman #1's opening car door hit and damage both doors. ...
Boy, oh boy!

You are right in saying it is their collective folly. But in my personal opinion woman #2 should have been in a position to avoid this accident. If it were me, I would

1. Wait behind the car till it finished unloading its contents and moved on, before I moved
2. Honk to get the first car driver's attention and make sure, through visual contact and gestures, that I can pass safely, and only then pass

Normal rules of road traffic cannot be applied in this situation as they are. Whwn a car pulls up in front of the home, tired occupants and impatient kids may want to open the doors and rush into the home or building. Also since it's a private driveway, the driver may not always pull up to a side, doors on the wrong side could be opened etc.

Overall while woman #1 may have erred by not looking before opening the door, woman #2 erred by not avoiding the accident she could have avoided.
Old 13th June 2015, 13:47   #17904
BHPian

I hope the lady in the Audi case does not get the benefit of first time offender, just because she was getting caught the first time, whenever the case sees the light of the day. The fact that she had gone to the same hospitals couple of days earlier for the BARC guards, should be accounted in the case.
Old 13th June 2015, 17:14   #17905
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
The story of the lawyer murdering two of a family is very disturbing indeed.

It simply proves that people with enough money can get away (or at least they think) with anything.

The law must punish the guilty quick and, in a manner which is befitting the crime, which happens to be cold blooded murder.
Full disclosure - I know the lady in question, having worked on some transactions with her. So I have seen her in a different context - as a hard working young lawyer and perhaps I am biased here.

Agree fully that she has committed a grave crime and must face its consequences. But to call her a murderer is too much - she is almost certainly guilt of culpable homicide but even the charge laid against her does not amount to murder. BTW, don't assume she is super rich - she is just another educated professional, who works hard and parties hard, and has ruined her own life (and sadly the lives of two other families) through her irresponsibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
So every killer's mother is right in protecting their wayward children? no matter if that 35 year old/50 year old 'child' has killed people in cold blood?
Its because of useless parents such as the mother above, that the daughter has become the monster that she is, believing that money can buy everything and might is right.
Does seem a bit much to blame the mom, who was just a ordinary middle class person for a 35 year olds act. Yes, the mom should have had the sense to keep her mouth shut but this is India - I am willing to bet that Sanju Baba's parents thought he is a kid too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Regarding the Audi accident, what surprises me is that she seems to have driven around in Mumbai quite a lot (Marine Drive, Chembur, etc) at midnight, but was not stopped by any police patrol.
You do have checks but more often on Friday evenings and weekends - rather than on Mondays which are seen as more safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I'm not, in any way, speaking up for this woman, but people are doing what she did every day. Perhaps some of them are actually better at handling a car than she turned out to be.

It is just amazing how the drink/drive climate has changed in UK from "one for the road" to many people completely abstaining if they are to drive. It is all in one generation. Some of those complete abstainers (not even drinking within the legal limit, when driving) are the same people I mentioned in the previous paragraph.

It needs a change in people, and a change in society. People watching this case may well think twice about their own actions in the future. Despite the common-sense-numbing effects of alcohol, they might just might stop and think, "It's just not worth the risk."

~

Agree fully - even one peg or one beer is too much if you are driving. The problem comes from folks who drink and find they reach home without a problem - it just makes them more brazen and this is the inevitable result for a certain percentage of folks that go down this path. It's only when people who drink and drive are completely ostracised that this will stop. Hope this leads to change at least in the professional circles in Bombay.
Hayek is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th June 2015, 17:57   #17906
Distinguished - BHPian

I too feel sad for her and her family. I think it is worth reflecting that one mistake, one moment of stupidity, can ruin a lifetime.

That is not to say that I feel she should be treated any less severely.
Old 13th June 2015, 18:04   #17907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
The problem comes from folks who drink and find they reach home without a problem
Same rule applies to other 'normal' folks also who don't mix drink n drive, but ignore the basic safety precautions while driving. These folks also think that wearing seatbelts or helmet is not necessary. They think nothing will happen to them and they don't hesitate breaking traffic rules and crossing limits while driving.

This type of ignorant mindset of people in India results in double the number of deaths compared to a country like China which is a much bigger country than us, having much higher number of vehicles than us and more number of accidents every year as well.

Last edited by GTO : 16th June 2015 at 15:34. Reason: Language
tbppjpr is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 13th June 2015, 18:14   #17908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Full disclosure - I know the lady in question, having worked on some transactions with her. So I have seen her in a different context - as a hard working young lawyer and perhaps I am biased here.

Agree fully that she has committed a grave crime and must face its consequences. But to call her a murderer is too much - she is almost certainly guilt of culpable homicide but even the charge laid against her does not amount to murder. BTW, don't assume she is super rich - she is just another educated professional, who works hard and parties hard, and has ruined her own life (and sadly the lives of two other families) through her irresponsibility.

Does seem a bit much to blame the mom, who was just a ordinary middle class person for a 35 year olds act. Yes, the mom should have had the sense to keep her mouth shut but this is India - I am willing to bet that Sanju Baba's parents thought he is a kid too.

Good of you to share that you knew this lady professionally. It adds a human touch for us, which otherwise is a faceless killer, shown on news.

I am surprised to find out that a hard working professional, who is meticulous and sincere @ work, can be so careless (for lack of a better word) in terms of personal life? Someone who cannot hold her drinks? Who cannot control how much to drink? Someone who doesn't have sense to leave the car at home/work and hire a cab? Maybe a chauffeur for the night even?
I have seen a lot of such people in India, who may be great @work but pretty much suck at life everywhere else, hopefully this is not the case here..

Also one has to remember that as we rise professionally, financially and socially, in India where the income disparity is so high, especially in professions considered as moneymaking, or have a high end car/house etc etc, we are fair game in being labelled as the spoilt rich brat who has everything easy, when we make mistakes. Hence it is up to us, to be more careful, down to earth and fly under the radar, when we turn successful, to live a peaceful life in India.

And no matter what her mother feels, she cannot spoil her daughter's case by making the silliest remarks, especially when a poor/lower middle class family has just been wiped out by her daughter... shows how much out of touch from reality she is...
apachelongbow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2015, 18:28   #17909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am surprised to find out that a hard working professional, who is meticulous and sincere @ work, can be so careless (for lack of a better word) in terms of personal life?
Peer pressure is a very strong catalyst in changing people. My long time simple middle class friend now works for a big MNC at Bangalore. She finds it obligatory to party (and do the things one does at a party), because if not, she fears social rejection from her colleagues. She does it because it makes her feel 'accepted' and 'cool'. It was actually quite shocking and very saddening for me to see her in that avatar.

Quote:
Someone who cannot hold her drinks? Who cannot control how much to drink? Someone who doesn't have sense to leave the car at home/work and hire a cab? Maybe a chauffeur for the night even?
When has anyone ever admitted to being drunk?

"I'm OK..", "No problem. Just a little tizzy that's all. I can manage..I'm not high", "I've had a lot more and still not got high. This is nothing", "I'm steady. Chill!", all sound familiar?

People find it shameful to admit that they're high. Ego problem, you see..

Last edited by schakravarthy : 13th June 2015 at 18:35.
schakravarthy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2015, 23:57   #17910
Distinguished - BHPian

In Delhi, there used to be this phenomenon till just a little while back, "Gaadi to tera bhai hi chalayega aaj. "

Doesn't translate well, but it basically means that I will drive.
It has sort of abated now, I feel. Mostly because of random crackdowns over the last few years. But you will still spot the odd person trying to remove themselves and others from the gene pool.

It's absolutely ridiculous that people think any amount of drink can be justified behind the wheel.
Take a check- if you think you can dance, sing, talk to strange people, expound theories, discuss politics at length, basically any skill you think you've got after you've had a couple, you can't. And neither are you a better driver that you insist on driving after drinks.

And about the Bombay case, I want to ask something. Is this like a proper expressway?
I mean, how could she drive for 11 km, and the first she got stopped was when she crashed?

Most Viewed