Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2015, 00:46   #17911
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
And about the Bombay case, I want to ask something. Is this like a proper expressway?
I mean, how could she drive for 11 km, and the first she got stopped was when she crashed?
Yes, this is a 4-Lane stretch of about 14-15 kms without any signals. Kind of a mini expressway.
The traffic is sparse at the time accident occurred.
Attaching a picture for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-eastern-freeway.jpg  

abhi7992 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th June 2015, 00:56   #17912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Regarding the Audi accident, what surprises me is that she seems to have driven around in Mumbai quite a lot (Marine Drive, Chembur, etc) at midnight, but was not stopped by any police patrol. Don't they have this police checks at nakas like they used to have earlier ? I remember being stopped for checks at night while riding to work - sometime in the mid-nineties.

Given the stringent check on DUI and general patrolling in place in Chennai today, she would have been intercepted much before she could do damage.
You know, on Friday Nights, Saturdays and Sunday's, I would bet my car that no one in Mumbai can drive around drunk. There are so many checks at every major spot and highway in Mumbai. I'll give you an example, Driving from Malad to Ghatkopar on a Saturday Night, I got stopped at 5 places in the 25 kilometers road towards Ghatkopar, passing through some highway and some inside city roads. Once caught smelling of Alcohol, they will make sure in your entire 7 lives you never drink and drive, that much humiliation and insult along with fines and dhamkis the offender will face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I know I'm a bit of a born-again tee-teetotaller and all that, really rather anti-alcohol for all its physical and social ill effects, but I wasn't always like that, I can say this from personal experience as well as a judgement: Alcohol makes people stupid, and, on top of that, it makes them overconfident, and, if they are brash and arrogant (or even quiet and arrogant) when sober, they will be much much more so with even a little alcohol inside them, let alone a lot.

I'm not, in any way, speaking up for this woman, but people are doing what she did every day. Perhaps some of them are actually better at handling a car than she turned out to be. Back in the bad old days, thirty or forty years ago, I knew quite a few people who seemed to be able to drive safely with large amounts of alcohol in their blood. The ultimate difference is they did not make that series of mistakes that lead to the the death of others and the ruining (if there is any justice) of their own lives and careers.

It is just amazing how the drink/drive climate has changed in UK from "one for the road" to many people completely abstaining if they are to drive. It is all in one generation. Some of those complete abstainers (not even drinking within the legal limit, when driving) are the same people I mentioned in the previous paragraph.

It needs a change in people, and a change in society. People watching this case may well think twice about their own actions in the future. Despite the common-sense-numbing effects of alcohol, they might just might stop and think, "It's just not worth the risk."

Sorry that's all a bit preachy, but, obviously, many of us have strong feelings.~
You know what I find strange about this entire Audi Incident, that she went on the wrong side of the freeway, I mean you need to be really out of your mind to do that, REALLY REALLY OUT of your mind. If someone paid me a million to take a U turn on the freeway, I would not take it. People at night drive there like their tail was on fire.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2015, 09:01   #17913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
And about the Bombay case, I want to ask something. Is this like a proper expressway?
I mean, how could she drive for 11 km, and the first she got stopped was when she crashed?
Yes, it is a proper elevated toll free highway, two divided lanes, properly marked, concrete, a tad narrow and bumpy, but serves its purpose of being a fast connect from the city to the suburbs, however not suitable for high speed antics of maniacs.
Old 14th June 2015, 09:17   #17914
BHPian

I'm surprised why this hasn't made it to the thread yet! Anyways, this is one disheartening accident in which 22 members of a family deceased when a Force Toofan utility vehicle they were travelling in fell from from Dhavaleswaram barrage near Rajahmundry.

Link to the news article
Pferdestarke is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2015, 09:29   #17915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post

I'm surprised why this hasn't made it to the thread yet!
Hey Pferdestarke, I guess you missed the previous posts dude. It has been reported here - #17897.

I really fail to understand 2 things with families who plan road trips:

- Why would you want to bundle up people into a vehicle during long journeys. Neither is it safe nor is it really comfortable. Considering this scenarios, 23 Humans into a vehicle that was designed to carry 12 ??

- Darkness in nature usually symbolizes rest, unless one is particularly nocturnal. So if its not for a living, why tempt your fate by traveling in the absolute dead of night ? IMO one must really get some rest before the journey and probably try starting really early (say 3.30-4am).

P.S - It is quite chilling to read one of the news articles which reported that the kid who survived had to wait from around 1am till 4am to be rescued, while the rest of the family lay dead by his side !!

Last edited by Vik0728 : 14th June 2015 at 09:32.
Vik0728 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2015, 10:22   #17916
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpusher View Post
22 Pilgrims returning from Tirupati died when their van fell off Dowleswaram barrage at Rajahmundry. Link: http://m.ndtv.com/andhra-pradesh-new...pradesh-771216
Some pics from today's Deccan Chronicle. The vehicle fell top down from the barrage onto a concrete platform some 20 feet down. As per the news report, accident occured around 3.15 AM and police was informed around 4.30 AM. The 10 yrs old kid was the only one who survived.

I guess as a reaction AP Police was conducting breath tests on NH 5 yesterday near Tanuku at around 10 PM.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20150614_101240.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20150614_101030.jpg

Last edited by penpusher : 14th June 2015 at 10:44. Reason: Fixed some errors
Old 14th June 2015, 16:11   #17917
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
- Why would you want to bundle up people into a vehicle during long journeys. Neither is it safe nor is it really comfortable. Considering this scenarios, 23 Humans into a vehicle that was designed to carry 12 ??
Because... you can.

Because... it would cost multiple times the amount to have multiple vehicles.

Same logic goes for any absurdly dangerous load, whether it is a family of six or a washing machine on a motor bike, or 24 people in a minibus, or dozens of people crammed into a truck. There's room for one more: fill it.

Actually, I remember that, forty years ago, we used to do this stuff when giving each other lifts in London, home from parties, etc. I remember one journey when, with people sitting each side in the back of a small van, the last couple of people were lifted in to lie across their knees .

What happened? more regular police checks happened; the seat belt laws happened; we got scared and saw some sense happened. Yes, I suppose we got older too, but it is inescapable that the major deterrent against breaking some laws is the fear of getting caught. What can we expect, then, when there is danger at all of getting caught?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2015, 17:52   #17918
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually, I remember that, forty years ago, we used to do this stuff when giving each other lifts in London, home from parties, etc. I remember one journey when, with people sitting each side in the back of a small van, the last couple of people were lifted in to lie across their knees
Its a very common sign with these shared autos in Chennai. I think they carry 23 people a trip

The van based mass transit was better where there is no way you can make people stand or squeeze.

I consciously dont travel in Share auto.
Old 14th June 2015, 18:23   #17919
BHPian

Reading about the terrible drink driving accident in Mumbai got me thinking - do bear with me if this sounds unreasonable, just sharing an idea which came to my mind - what if hotel security staff are required to perform a breath test on the driver of exiting vehicles? If they are found to be drunk, they should not be allowed to exit the hotel premises, until arrangements are made to get the driver home.
Games Goblin is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th June 2015, 19:06   #17920
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Games Goblin View Post
what if hotel security staff are required to perform a breath test on the driver of exiting vehicles?
Poor Hotel/bar/Restaurant owners!! How will they survive when no one will visit them?

When a lobby can resist Govt's many ideas - Speed Governor for Trucks, School Buses you can very well imagine what the Hotel lobby can do.

Even now, Liquor shops mushroom a step away from a National Highway's shoulder that you can literally "walk in" to it from the road!!

The Govt or Authorities do care about safety of our lives sadly, we ourselves dont and follow rules only because we need to pay meagre fines and not because of safety! No wonder seat belts seldom get used on our highways only because cops' presence is less frequent and limited too!!
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2015, 19:59   #17921
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Poor Hotel/bar/Restaurant owners!! How will they survive when no one will visit them?
Zara - a popular bar in Chennai (attracts young and well heeled types, has a dress code including shoes and collared shirt etc) - had this lovely campaign which they set up along with the Chennai Traffic Police.

hserus is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 14th June 2015, 20:35   #17922
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Zara - a popular bar in Chennai......
Yes. Aware of that and this one went quite viral all over the Internet as well.

You'd still be able to find folks entering and driving out intoxicated from the same restaurant may be (unless they really did it for Social Cause and not for earning brownie points).

In Bangalore, in the name of advertising, good number of median space and Traffic signal areas get covered with "Wear Seat Belts, Don't Drink and Drive" Hoardings only because suddenly a new Jeweller has opened a shop in the Vicinity or something else!!

Apart from stringent checks we need to ban shops selling liquor on our roads too.

Gujarat is a Dry state (supposedly)and Just before the border we have huge neon signs and hoardings advertising liquor.

Forget that, the last known "good" stop before getting onto NH8 at Ghodbunder has a sprawling Bar to cater to crowd heading north.

When I was at the rest room spending a minute at Sugar and Spice on NH8 before Navasari, I could see 3 youths completely sloshed heading into GJ. I have no faith that one of them wasn't a driver.

Things like these matter on our roads more than just campaings to promote your own Brand.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2015, 06:24   #17923
Senior - BHPian

27 year old woman dies in an accident just before her marriage.

Apparently a bus rear ended a santro on the road to the bangalore airport, late at night with rain further impairing visibility. Both of them parked their vehicles in the middle of the road and got down to fight it out. A meru cab coming along at 120 kmph didn't see either vehicle and slammed into them. The driver - who was wearing a seatbelt - survived. Passenger and her mom didn't - they weren't wearing seatbelts.

Santro driver, bus driver and cabbie have been booked.

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/47668560.cms
Old 15th June 2015, 06:57   #17924
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
27 year old woman dies in an accident just before her marriage.

A meru cab coming along at 120 kmph didn't see either vehicle and slammed into them. The driver - who was wearing a seatbelt - survived. Passenger and her mom didn't - they weren't wearing seatbelts.
About 3 years back, I was on way from Gurgaon to Ashoka Hotel, Delhi to attend a conference in a Meru. On NH8 near airport, our vehicle was rammed by an Accent from behind on left side, I was sitting on rear left. Then it went on to hit a Santro and carried on. That day I was not putting on seatbelts as there was none on that Meru. On asking the driver, he simply shrugged it off. I wrote a complaint to Meru to which they said they'll look into it. Now I make it a point to check seatbelts or else report to them. I just got a sprain in my wrist as I had caught hold of front seat when I heard screeching of tyres.
BoneCollector is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2015, 08:16   #17925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Both vehicles were parked haphazardly in the middle of the expressway, with no hazard lights switched on or any indication that they were stationary, despite visibility already being impaired for other drivers due to the rain.
The article says 'Freak'. There is nothing freak here. It is expected if you stop in the middle of expressway and more so if it is raining.

Last edited by msdivy : 15th June 2015 at 08:17.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed