Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2015, 20:08   #18136
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

The girl that died in the Merc crash was in the front seat, sitting on her mother's lap :

Quote:
Just before accident, they were listening to songs, he recollects. ''My daughter, Chinni was sitting in her mother's (Shikha's lap) on the front seat. She was trying to snatch my phone to play. She loves phones," he said while talking to TOI at the hospital.
Her family says the child may have survived , had she received timely medical attention.

Source
Old 3rd July 2015, 20:23   #18137
Team-BHP Support

Sounds extremely rude and insensitive to blame someone who has lost a child (in whatever circumstances), but if there ever was an example of the endemic 'it's everyone's fault except my own' mindset that pervades us, here's one.

Extremely unfortunate and heartbreaking that innocent kids have to suffer the disastrous consequences of ignorant adults who leave everything to fate or the deity on the dashboard. They'll all mourn and eventually move on (without learning any road-safety lessons I'm sure), but what about the child that died for no fault of its own? I don't care who the law dumps the blame on, I blame the parents first & foremost.

R.I.P. to the little one, you didn't have to die like this!
'Grown some brains for the future' to the adults who survived.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 3rd July 2015 at 20:25.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2015, 20:28   #18138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
The girl that died in the Merc crash was in the front seat, sitting on her mother's lap :

Her family says the child may have survived , had she received timely medical attention.

Source
I have a feeling the merc driver might have dozed off at the wheel. If he is coming straight on the highway and if the Alto has taken a slow turn from the right, he shouldn't have missed it. On the other hand, if the alto is getting on the highway from the left, then he would have to cross at least one lane to get onto the fast lane, provided the Merc was driving on the fast lane. That should also give the Merc driver enough visibility of the Alto.
If the alto had got onto the road suddenly and at a speed, then whatever everyone else says on this forum could be the truth.
Old 3rd July 2015, 22:08   #18139
Senior - BHPian

Here is the first hand report from the Alto family.
http://m.timesofindia.com/entertainm...m_campaign=TOI
Old 3rd July 2015, 23:20   #18140
BHPian

There is an urgent need to redesign all our highways and plug all the gaps ( like cuts in the medians to allow crossing at 90 degrees). We couldnt save that little girl but by scientifically redesigning our highways, we can save many more lives in future.
Old 4th July 2015, 00:16   #18141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_naik View Post
There is an urgent need to redesign all our highways and plug all the gaps ( like cuts in the medians to allow crossing at 90 degrees). We couldnt save that little girl but by scientifically redesigning our highways, we can save many more lives in future.
On the National highways we have flyovers by means of which we can bypass towns but still we do have some junctions wherein one can expect the unexpected. It would be foolish to have speed breakers installed on the main roads at these intersections. Whoever is on the cross road and waiting to turn to the main road should wait and watch before doing so.
This last point what i mentioned is lacking resulting in accidents.
With regard to the Alto Merc accident, prima facie I would blame the person who gave the nod for the child to sit on the mother's lap.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2015, 07:08   #18142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
With regard to the Alto Merc accident, prima facie I would blame the person who gave the nod for the child to sit on the mother's lap.
+1. It is so sad that we choose to stay in eternal ignorance. Everyone is talking only about how the Mercedes passenger should have helped the Alto passengers, even though she herself was injured. But no one wants to use this accident and its outcome as a fitting example to insist on using seat belts and teaching everyone the concept of "right of way".
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2015, 09:03   #18143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekz View Post
Looking at the damage on vehicles, this seems to be the only string of events. Merc has damage to its right and Alto to its left. No way they collided head on.

Also it seems Merc did not T-bone the Alto but it was more of a oblique collision angle. Either the Alto turned away (seems unlikely as that is impossible if you are taking a right or u-turn) or the Merc tried taking avoiding action and hence was able turn a bit away from Alto at the point of collision.

I am not trying to pass judgements here but I just analysed the damages and this is the only theory which comes to my mind

Such accidents keep happening dime-a-dozen everyday. It is just that a celebrity/MP is involved in this case. Otherwise this would not have even found a mention in any of the national dailies.
I agree with you on this. Also the newspaper quote of the Alto family states the same, there must have been an angular collision. But whole fault is it to leave a small child on the front seat on her mother's lap? Whose fault is it to not wear seatbelts? Whose fault is it to buy a car with zero safety ratings, then drive at night on a highway? Whose fault is it to leave an angular crossing or opening on a highway without adequate signs or speedbreakers to slow down fast moving traffic? Who is responsible for stop look and go, when entering a highway from a side road? The highway traffic or the one entering from a small road?

Primafacie the bulk of the fault appear on the Alto driver, for his sheer carelessness, lack of driving manners and ability to leave all the thinking on the other party and may be god...
apachelongbow is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th July 2015, 09:56   #18144
Senior - BHPian

Due to the high profile nature, the case is being hushed up and I don't think the real truth will ever come out.

Here is what happened, I think. Seems very usual on our highways.

If you see the damaged cars:
- Front Right of Mercedes
- Front Left of Alto
Since the passenger side of the Alto was the point of impact, the kid was the first to bear the brunt of the crash, and since she wasn't belted up (I assume), it turned fatal for her.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-untitled.jpg
Created using MSPaint. Apologies for the noice attempt.

Did anyone notice this ?
Quote:
She was trying to snatch my phone to play. She loves phones," he said while talking to TOI at the hospital.
More reasons why not to have kids in front seat. I personally had this experience once (kid tried to engage with the central console) on a short ride within our lane, and ever since then, even if it is a 2 kms ride, my kid always seats in his baby seat at the back bench.

May God bless the deparated soul and give brain to the survived adults.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th July 2015, 10:03   #18145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
+1. It is so sad that we choose to stay in eternal ignorance. Everyone is talking only about how the Mercedes passenger should have helped the Alto passengers, even though she herself was injured. But no one wants to use this accident and its outcome as a fitting example to insist on using seat belts and teaching everyone the concept of "right of way".
My anger toward the media is why the headlines are focusing on injury to Hema Malini only. There were and are many such accidents that go unnoticed. Since she is a celebrity, it has become good fodder for the media. As a result of this, news of the child' death has taken a back seat
Second point as to whether Hema Malini should have helped the occupants of the Alto car. It is unfair to blame her as she herself was in a state of shock and injured as well. Moreover it is quite tough to predict how our mental state will be at the time of an accident.
Old 4th July 2015, 10:43   #18146
Senior - BHPian

Re: Supercar & Import Crashes in India

my heart goes out to the bereaved family which was in the Alto. Hope they receive Justice. regards,Vinay

"Hema Malini Leaves For Mumbai Without Meeting Victim’s Family"

Actress Hema Malini is reportedly fine now after she met with an accident on Thursday night in which a four-year-old girl lost her life and her parents along with the siblings were injured. The family members of the deceased girl is apparently unhappy with the step-motherly treatment meted out to them as the actress was admitted to the Fortis Hospital in Jaipur, whereas the others were shifted to the SMS government hospital, which is also in the state capital.

The injured family also accused the administration for their VIP treatment towards Hema Malini and ignoring the others, who were also injured and lost their little child.

On the other hand, Hema Malini has left for Mumbai on Friday without even meeting the family of the deceased child.

Hema Malini’s driver was on Friday detained and an FIR filed against him for rash driving and causing death by negligence.

the link:
http://focusnews.com/entertainment/h...-family/72189/
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Sonam Could've Been Saved If Taken To Hospital With Hema Malini"

The father of the two-year-old girl who died in a road accident involving Hema Malini has said she could have been saved if she was rushed to the hospital along with the BJP parliamentarian immediately after the fatal crash in Rajasthan's Dausa district.

"My little girl died in the lap of her mother in the car. It is sad that her mother is also struggling for survival. . .and she does not know that Sonam is no more," Hanuman Khandelwal, the father of Sonam, told reporters as he lay injured at SMS Hospital.

Sonam was killed and her father, mother Shikha, brother Somil and Khandelwal’s sister-in-law Seema were injured when their car and Hema Malini's Mercedes collided on Thursday night.

Khandelwal said for about "20 to 25 minutes our family of five" lay bleeding on the road in the smashed car as a doctor took Hema Malini and others in his car to Jaipur's Fortis Hospital.

"We all were attended by Dausa Police, and the hospital (was in a) poor condition to tackle our injuries," he said.

Khandelwal said though his wife had gained consciousness, she had not been told of her daughter’s death. He said, "We convinced her that both girls were being treated."

Shikha and Seema are being treated in the poly-trauma ward while Somil is in a serious condition in the intensive care unit.

Read: Car crash victims protest 'lavish attention' to Hema Malini

Sonam's uncle Shirish Gupta said: "Hema Malini was taken to a hospital in Dausa by a doctor immediately after the incident. He then took her to Fortis Hospital while Sonam was lying at the spot for 15 to 20 minutes. Nobody asked about her.

"Had she (Sonam) been taken to the hospital along with Hema Malini, she would have been saved," Gupta said.

Relatives of the family said they could afford their treatment and are not looking for any compensation from the government.

The media has been focussing on the injuries of Hema Malini while no one came to us, they said.

"The actress's car was being driven on the wrong side (of the road and) that led to the mishap. Had all five of the injured been admitted to a private hospital, they would have been better now," a relative said on condition of anonymity.

Khandelwal has filed a complaint at Kotwali police station in Dausa against Ramesh Chand Thakur, who was driving Hema Malini's car when the accident occurred in Dausa, 60 km from Rajasthan’s capital Jaipur. Thakur was arrested and later granted bail by a court.

BJP leader Hema Malini expressed "deep sorrow" over the death of the child, hours after she was accused of not showing concern. She said that the news of the infant's death left her "very sad and in a distressed mind."

"I can realise the hard time the family is facing after her death. I pray to God to give them strength to bear this loss," she said.

The 66-year-old actress-turned-politician underwent surgery for her wounds at Fortis Hospital and is doing fine, doctors attending to her said. She was also treated for a minor fracture on her nose.

(With inputs from Agencies)

for pictures , please visit the link:
http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-...1-1365736.aspx

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hema Malini's car accident: Here's what happened"

The Rajasthan Police arrested veteran actress, Hema Malini's driver, Mahesh Thakur under sections 304, 337 and 338 on July 3, after the Bharatiya Janata Party MP's car was involved in a fatal road accident on July 2. The police had earlier filed an FIR against the driver after the accident, which occurred near Jaipur, left a girl child dead and Hema Malini injured. The actress is currently receiving treatment for head injuries in a city hospital. Hema Malini's daughter, Esha Deol, visited her mother at the hospital. The mishap occurred when the Hema's Mercedes collided with an Alto, leaving the four people travelling in the Alto severely injured. "The child, who has died, was in the Alto. She was a resident of Lal Chowk. Hema was in Mercedes. Both vehicles collided," said an eyewitness. "It happened in Dausa. The exact location can only be told by the employees. Now, the MP has been brought here for treatment," added a police officer.

However, Hema Malini's driver, Mahesh Thakur claims that he is innocent. He argues that it was the Alto car's driver, who turned the car without indicating.

for vehicles' pictures , please use the link:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/e...y/47922515.cms
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-w221.png  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-hemamaliniaccident4650_070215115657.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-w221-2.jpg  

Last edited by vinay kamath : 4th July 2015 at 10:56.
vinay kamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2015, 10:57   #18147
BHPian

^ Above news article contents and illustrative pictures are representing wrong picture of the whole accident. Such an useless and irresponsible journalism.

No one is highlighting sub par road safety standards in our country. No one is seriously talking about importance of seatblets and child seats.

No wonder we are doubling the number or deaths in the road accidents compared to even China which have far more number of cars than us.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 4th July 2015 at 10:59.
tbppjpr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2015, 11:50   #18148
Senior - BHPian

"Above news article contents and illustrative pictures are representing wrong picture of the whole accident. Such an useless and irresponsible journalism. " - I beg to differ tbppjpr. The artist impression may be defective, but the pictures are real ones from the spot. The Media could highlighted the death of the little girl more than the injuries to Hema's face, in their headlines and script.

The Harsh Fact is that A child has lost her life, when the Mercedes in the wrong lane collided with the little Alto. Other team bhpians may please join in and analyse the accident better than I did. Another similar accident involving a drunken lady advocate of RIL in an Audi SUV in the wrong lane killed passengers in a little Hyundai in Mumbai.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a lighter note, I inform about another absurd unusual accident involving an Audi!!

"A drunken adventure and an abandoned Audi"

TNN | Jul 3, 2015, 03.15AM IST

CHENNAI: An abandoned Audi floating in sea near Kovalam created quite a flutter among residents and fishermen in the area.

A group of fishermen first noticed the luxury car around 6am and alerted the Kelambakkam police.

Police along with coastal security officers rushed to the spot and found the 40 lakh-worth Audi bobbing on the water. The mystery surrounding the car and its incongruous location pushed the police officials and the fishermen to get the car off the sands.

After a five-hour retrieval operation, with the help of local fishermen and a crane, police found a wallet inside the car. It had a driver's licence belonging to William, a resident of Gowrivakkam and a real estate broker.

When police contacted him, William said the unregistered car was used on Wednesday by his relative Joshua as he had to drive down to Pudupattinam to inspect a tract of land there. On his way back, Joshua stopped the car near MGM beach resort and left the motor running to attend to nature's call. Then he saw two men on a motorcycle stop near the car. One of them got down from the bike and drove the car away, while the other followed him.

Police said the miscreants, who could have been drunk, took the car to the beach and later abandoned it after it got stuck in the sand. Their drunken adventure has left the car completely damaged, and the owner has refused to take it. The insurance agency has also refused to pick up the insurance claim. A case of unclaimed property was registered at the Kelambakkam police station.

They said the luxury vehicle will be surrendered to the Road Transport Authority. They also said efforts were on to trace the two men.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/47918395.cms

Aisa bhi hota hai!

Last edited by vinay kamath : 4th July 2015 at 12:00.
vinay kamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2015, 11:55   #18149
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay kamath View Post
I beg to differ tbppjpr.

A child ha----------SNIP--------------------8395.cms[/url]
Brilliant!
From message in a bottle, to wallet in a car.
This has the necessary traits to go into car-anecdotes!

Now if the insurance is not taking it, and neither is the owner, will the owner get a claim settlement?
Old 4th July 2015, 11:58   #18150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay kamath View Post
I beg to differ tbppjpr. A child has lost her life, when the Mercedes in the wrong lane collided with the little Alto.
Mercedes didn't collide with Alto in the wrong lane, rather it was Alto which seems to be trying to cross the road from one of the divider cut and Mercedes ended up colliding with it. Not ruling out that the Mercedes wasn't over-speeding but who can say the Alto was being driven in safest manners?

Look at the damages, Mercedes right side and Alto's left side got damaged, not like whats being shown by the brainless media. cars may have jumped the divider after the collision.

Also read the statement of the Alto driver where he states that his daughter was sitting on the lap of her mother on front seat, also the daughter was trying to snatch his mobile phone. Does it not ring the bell in anyone's mind?

Full sympathy to the little girl, media wasn't presenting full picture of the incident, their focus was where it shouldn't have been and thats why it boils the blood that a child lost the life still no one is trying to learn from this incident, only blame game is being played. No one is trying to analyse the accident as study material to improve poor road safety standards of our country.

Seatbelts, child seat and focus on the road while driving could have saved the life of that little girl.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 4th July 2015 at 12:09.
tbppjpr is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed