Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2015, 12:48   #18151
BHPian

Re: Supercar & Import Crashes in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
^ Above news article contents and illustrative pictures are representing wrong picture of the whole accident. Such an useless and irresponsible journalism.
Media is media. They look for sensationalism. BUT, our leaned readers are better positioned to make a better judgement. Please see the illustration and the damages on the vehicles. They contradict and the damages being reality, you know the illustration is WRONG!!!!

If that is not enough, please read the family's account in the TOI link above. The father says he is at negligible speeds, he saw one WagonR crossing the road and he followed. Well, that WagonR guy was lucky. First, Alto driver should have seen the approaching vehicles, cross the road as quick as he can - NOT at negligible speeds. [Not sure if it was a junction where he wants to take a turn, OR just trying to go to the other side of the road and drive further]

And blaming the doctor for helping only the star. We don't know his limitations. Don't blame him for not helping all. Thank him for atleast helping some.

BOTTOM line is one [cute] life is cut short, and IMHO it due to her own people's carelessness.
FORTified is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2015, 14:16   #18152
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

An innocent child is lost forever. Our media is busy in reporting the kind of plastic surgery needed for a cine star. The laws of land for the roadways are conveniently ignored. As a parent, I find it to be a really sad state of affair.

After reading a lot of conflicting media reports, I thought of doing some logical analysis myself to have some understanding of the chain of events.

Damages to the vehicles:
Alto: Passenger side
Mercedes: Driver side

So above two data rule out head-on collision. So what could have happened?

Destination of the vehicles:
Alto: Lalsot from Jaipur via Dausa
Mercedes: Jaipur from Mathura via Dausa
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-destinationillustrated.png

Possible accident spot:
Some media report mentioned that accident happened near Dausa bypass. From Maps, it looks like that the most probable spot of accident could be the intersection of NH-11 and NH-11A (south bound to Lalsot). ( Another spot could be the next intersection (?) closer to town)
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-intersectionsi.png

Possible path to collision:
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-likelypathtocollisioniv1.png

Who is at fault?

It seems to me both Alto and Mercedes drivers were at fault.

Alto: Alto seems to have failed to yield as Mercedes had the "right of way" at the intersection
Mercedes: Given it was at-grade intersection, legal speed limit would be around or less than 40 km/h. So from the damages, it looks like Mercedes was way over speed limit at the intersection.

Last edited by gmhossain : 4th July 2015 at 14:24.
gmhossain is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 4th July 2015, 14:55   #18153
BHPian

Noticed a grey swift with frontal damage on my way to the airport today morning somewhere on the flyover after Yelahanka towards airport. From tyre tracks, it looked like the swift was being driven in middle lane, driver encountered 'something' suddenly ahead, tried sudden maneuver to left lane, lost control and crashed to guard-railing on the left side of the road.
Old 4th July 2015, 15:09   #18154
BHPian

Sheer carelessness from both the drivers has cost the child her life needlessly. Looks like the Alto driver blindly made the turn without bothering to look at oncoming traffic or he didn't see the high speed Mercedes at all before making the turn - hard to believe how that could happen, even if it was night.

Mercedes driver was driving rashly, he should have slowed down at that big intersection, if the accident took place at the spot indicated in the post above. Furthermore a WagonR had also just made that turn before the Alto, so he very well knew there was a turn there and cars were crossing. Just didn't bother to slow down, maybe he also thought of himself as a VIP, and these VIP drivers think they own the road.
heavenlybull is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2015, 10:52   #18155
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay kamath View Post
On a lighter note, I inform about another absurd unusual accident involving an Audi!!

"A drunken adventure and an abandoned Audi"

CHENNAI: An abandoned Audi floating in sea near Kovalam created quite a flutter among residents and fishermen in the area.

A group of fishermen first noticed the luxury car around 6am and alerted the Kelambakkam police.
What's with Audis & being submerged in the sea? They better make AWD standard now .

Original post with pics
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th July 2015, 11:37   #18156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
What's with Audis & being submerged in the sea?
"Look, ma! I found an Audi in my nets!"

Trying out the AWD at low tide it seems. Driver sunken in liquor and the ride in the seawater.

Out of curiosity, will such a car be roadworthy again? It does seem to have spent a few hours under the water.

Last edited by honeybee : 5th July 2015 at 11:38.
honeybee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2015, 11:53   #18157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post

Trying out the AWD at low tide it seems. Driver sunken in liquor and the ride in the seawater.

Out of curiosity, will such a car be roadworthy again? It does seem to have spent a few hours under the water.

I don't think Audi would have tested their cars like this.
Audi pls include this terrain also for your test mules. After all you will have to make cars for India.
Old 5th July 2015, 12:46   #18158
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

They have to dip the car in a fresh water lake or river to make it road worthy again LOL. With the amount of salt that would have gone into the nooks and crannies of the audi, it will become a rust can from the inside slowly.
Old 5th July 2015, 12:59   #18159
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:

the hilux in TG did survive after a whole night of being submerged in sea
venkyhere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2015, 13:19   #18160
GTO
Team-BHP Support

With reference to Hema Malini's accident, it's all the more important for you to buckle up on the back seat of German luxo-barges. Reason? The rear entertainment systems. Instead of the back of a headrest, you smash into a hard, glass display screen.

GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th July 2015, 14:28   #18161
Distinguished - BHPian

Seat belts are given a pass by 3/4 car occupants in my experience. A relative buys an Amaze and stated that he wanted a car with ABS and Airbags because nowadays it's best to get a car with them. Asked him to buckle up when I was driving and he's refusing to put the seat belt. I don't get it. Should steering wheels and dashboard have a peel off sticker during delivery that the airbags are supplementary restraint systems which won't help much if the primary restraint, the belts aren't used?
kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2015, 14:40   #18162
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Should steering wheels and dashboard have a peel off sticker during delivery that the airbags are supplementary restraint systems which won't help much if the primary restraint, the belts aren't used?
Cars with airbags will have the warning sticker stuck on one of the locations - the passenger side sunvisor or the door sill extension or the plastic trim at the end of the dashboard.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-sunvisor.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-air_bag_warning_sign.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-c25f76d8.jpg

Source: Google Images

This is also one of the requirements as per the NCAP standards. For eg:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1.png

Source: Polo 6R Euro NCAP

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 5th July 2015 at 14:47.
Gannu_1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th July 2015, 15:24   #18163
Team-BHP Support

This happened in Chennai, not Surat
Old 5th July 2015, 16:06   #18164
BHPian

Looking at all the illustrations and available data I firmly believe that the Alto driver is the one at fault. The two main reasons are
a) The child was sitting in it's mother's lap in the front seat and the mother was not buckled up. This is an invitation to disaster. The child would be crushed between the parent and the dashboard / windshield. I see so many parents doing this without realising the consequences of their actions. Frustration.)
b) On a highway like this where people do tend to drive fast and otherwise also it is the responsibility of the person crossing the road to look out for oncoming vehicles.
The Mercedes driver was going really fast and should have exercised anticipation knowing Indian roads but that's the extent of his mistake.
Old 5th July 2015, 17:09   #18165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Cars with airbags will have the warning sticker stuck on one of the locations - the passenger side sunvisor or the door sill extension or the plastic trim at the end of the dashboard.
Correct, I've seen that. In the example I have quoted, the problem was that the owner seems to assume that the presence of Airbags discounts the need for belts.

Most Viewed