Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2015, 14:07   #18286
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Just read the following report in Mint and thought it would be useful to share it with other members.

Delhi sees highest number of traffic accident deaths in 2014
According to the Accidental Deaths and Suicides in India-2014 report by NCRB, 18,124 deaths due to traffic accidents were reported in 53 mega cities in 2014

Link: http://www.livemint.com/Politics/1Fm...s-in-2014.html

Delhi has seen 2200 deaths due to accidents in 2014, followed by Chennai (1,046 deaths), Bhopal (1,015 deaths) and Jaipur (844 deaths), according to the article.

I stay in Delhi and drive 80-100 kms everyday to work. I understand that it is difficult and dangerous to drive in Delhi, but never thought that it would be the city which would register most deaths due to traffic accidents!
abhinavb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 14:54   #18287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divya Sharan View Post
Though I hope your kid had her helmet on and strapped!
I think you got me there pal, do not currently have a helmet for her. What do you mean by strapped, in a 2-wheeler?

I would welcome comments on whats the safest way of transporting a 5 year kid to school on a 2-wheeler? Some say making them sit behind you and hold you is safer, but I find it less safe as the kids can lose hold and fall down when the 2-wheeler in motion.

Also, any other safety accessories I should consider apart from a helmet? My kid has a helmet for her bicycle, is that enough for this purpose?

I am actually thinking about not using the 2-wheeler for the drop-offs anymore, my Santro though without any airbags or safety features, still sounds a lot safer than a 2-wheeler
Old 20th July 2015, 15:12   #18288
Senior - BHPian

I am surprised that you are not aware that Delhi has greater no. Of 4-wheelers than (Mumbai+Chennai+Kolkata) put together.
So its a simple statistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavb View Post
I stay in Delhi and drive 80-100 kms everyday to work. I understand that it is difficult and dangerous to drive in Delhi, but never thought that it would be the city which would register most deaths due to traffic accidents!
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 15:28   #18289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post
I think you got me there pal, do not currently have a helmet for her. What do you mean by strapped, in a 2-wheeler?
I meant that a helmet must be used and its buckles must be strapped. Unstrapped buckles in the helmet render the lid useless.

Quote:
I would welcome comments on whats the safest way of transporting a 5 year kid to school on a 2-wheeler? Some say making them sit behind you and hold you is safer, but I find it less safe as the kids can lose hold and fall down when the 2-wheeler in motion.
I feel that small kids should never be taken on a 2 wheeler, but if it is absolutely necessary (when the larger vehicle is unavailable), one should have them seat at the back and hold the rider firmly. Also, make the kid wear appropriately sized helmets. Sadly, India hasn't recognized child safety yet and if you want a good lid, you may have to import one from the US.
See if you have a relative/friend coming down any time soon so that you can avoid shipping and customs.
A kid standing/sitting at the front is very risky. They can get startled if a vehicle approaches in front of you, they can lose balance under sudden braking/acceleration, while negotiating potholes and what not.

Quote:
Also, any other safety accessories I should consider apart from a helmet? My kid has a helmet for her bicycle, is that enough for this purpose?
Simply not the best form of protection, because it only saves the head (at slow speeds) and the rest of the face would remain exposed.

Quote:
I am actually thinking about not using the 2-wheeler for the drop-offs anymore, my Santro though without any airbags or safety features, still sounds a lot safer than a 2-wheeler
This is the best option. Use your 4 wheeler if time/traffic etc permit the same. Much safer than the 2 wheeler. At least until the kid grows up for a few more years.
Divya Sharan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 16:34   #18290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divya Sharan
Sadly, India hasn't recognized child safety yet and if you want a good lid, you may have to import one from the US.
Helmets for kids are available in India - I bought a Studds helmet for my son (7 years old).
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 01:46   #18291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Just read news of a landslide on the Mumbai Pune expressway near Lonavla.
http://www.ndtv.com/others-news/3-pe...2977?site=full

The video shows a dead body I suppose, so viewer discretion is advised.

There is a white Tata Manza MH 04 registered, very badly amashed up by the falling boulders and rocks.
Amongst the three deceased, one wasn't a victim of the landslide. Being a local from Khalapur, he was the first one to respond to the police's call for assistance to help the accident victims and was hit by an unidentified vehicle going towards Pune since this side of the E-way did not have any debris from the calamity and had flowing traffic. He was moved to a hospital in Panvel but was declared dead on arrival.

Besides the Manza, there was a Skoda which also got hit by the boulders and the motorist breathed his last three hours after being taken to a hospital in Pune.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-13045868.jpg
Old 21st July 2015, 11:50   #18292
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Received via Whats App:

Quote:
The building wall facing Olive restaurant (Bandra) collapsed as the ground lifted and cars rolled down to the road. Full road blocked.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-an2b39wbe5beioawvastyl9r7u0k4khhrlg_fmgqrmw.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-assryrgvjhj0ofaj1jroqmgft4rv9wn_sogissjoms.jpg
Old 21st July 2015, 12:52   #18293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjz View Post
Horrendous crash on the streets of Ahmedabad, birthday celebrations gone horribly wrong. Happened on the morning on Sunday at 6.15 am .Four friends two boys and two girls all aged 19 or 20 getting back from birthday celebrations of previous night . The driver a young lad of 19 and his female friend also aged 19 lost their lives , the two other friends battling for life in hospital.
Some Pictures of the same:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_3888.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_3890.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_3892.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_3893.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_3895.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_3896.jpg

Last edited by moralfibre : 21st July 2015 at 13:12. Reason: Removing pictures showing dead bodies.
sanjz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 13:34   #18294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjz View Post
Some Pictures of the same:
Thanks for the pics.

My first reaction was, man thats a Jetta, presumably one of the safest cars around. What happened, were they not wearing seatbelts, did the airbags not deploy, can see substantial damage to the side of the car, and no curtain airbags deployed either, going by the pics.

Can you either post or PM me a link to where you found these pics? Would be really useful to know if the front airbags deployed.

People like me bought the Jetta pretty much for the safety, so a bit concerned by this incident. Also do the reports mention what speeds the car was doing?
Old 21st July 2015, 13:40   #18295
Distinguished - BHPian

Side way hit to tree must have been at excess of 100kmph to bend the center of car like that!!! Does seem like air bags deployed evidenced by stripped fabric.
Old 21st July 2015, 13:43   #18296
Team-BHP Support

A request to members:

Please apply your own judgement before posting images. Some of them are very graphic. (The ones depicting human casualties)
ampere is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 15:38   #18297
Senior - BHPian

And it is often opined that "German cars are built like a tank". The fact is, no car is. Pics like these should be eye-opener to those who believe that nothing will happen to them since their car is built stronger than other cars.
pgsagar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 16:12   #18298
Team-BHP Support

If you wrap your vehicle around a tree (or anything vertical) like that, I doubt you'll walk away unscathed even if you were riding an actual tank.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 21st July 2015, 16:24   #18299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
And it is often opined that "German cars are built like a tank". The fact is, no car is. Pics like these should be eye-opener to those who believe that nothing will happen to them since their car is built stronger than other cars.
Excessive speed can be a very powerful enemy in fact I doubt even a rolls would be able to survive this and its metal is much thicker than Audi's/BMW. That said I am also sure a car like etios would most likely be split in two "Speaking from experience saw something similar in Ambala Highway"
Brishti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 10:05   #18300
BHPian

5 People Killed in road accident

All passengers in a Maruti Alto were killed in a collision with a KSRTC bus in Kollam, Kerala. The people who lost their lives were members of a family (grandma to grandchild) aged between 4 to 42 years and their driver.
Name:  dd.png
Views: 6045
Size:  317.0 KB
Malayalam report here. http://www.mathrubhumi.com/story.php?id=562940

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks