Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2015, 13:03   #18391
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Slightly OT:

Should the govt ban manufacturers from producing high end bikes. Unfortunately the high end bike users are not aware of the cons of going at high speed. All that they know is to rip as the bike is a powerful one. I suppose it is below their dignity to go slow with such bikes and the matter becomes even more serious if the guy's girl friend happens to be pillion.
No, that would be blanket statement and the law would appear draconian .

Though I agree that money-spirited morons abuse machines and cause severe damage to the society, one cannot take this as a reason to impose any bans.

A Free and Progressive society would only be possible when its Authorities and the Citizens have the discretion to act and the entire Onus can neither be placed on the Authorities nor on the Citizens.

The authorities already impose heavy taxes on these super machines to limit their market [ which is advisable, though not advocated by free market activists] and now, it is the users who hold the responsibility.

The Govt., in addition to the present measures, may seek to increase the vigilance on the users of these super-machines if they turn out to be habitual law breakers and impose heavier penalties in form of fines/ jail to deter the offenders, but blanket ban - NOT ADVISABLE .

I believe there are lot of Bhpians, who own superbikes and exercise the needed restraint while they ride.
poised2drive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2015, 14:09   #18392
Senior - BHPian

Well, in this case even the 100/150cc segment bikes needs to be stopped, almost every day there is a fatal accident and its getting worse. infact the un-geared scooters are more of a menace.

The problem is, there is one set of crowd which can afford a bike/scooter, the main requisite is to know to ride/balance and the rest happens on its own. last decade there are loads of such people on road and one reason their are many accidents...

And there are many who can buy expensive/powerful bikes, but lacks the knowledge/responsibility/sense and they mostly end up in grave sooner or later...

The same applies to cars, until people realise and start acting responsible their is no solution for this problem and banning is certainly not the solution.

Quote:
Slightly OT:

Should the govt ban manufacturers from producing high end bikes. Unfortunately the high end bike users are not aware of the cons of going at high speed. All that they know is to rip as the bike is a powerful one. I suppose it is below their dignity to go slow with such bikes and the matter becomes even more serious if the guy's girl friend happens to be pillion.

If people cannot understand the cons of high speed, no amount of advise will penetrate into their grey matter.
It is better if the manufacturers stop producing such bikes. At least the fatalities involving such bikes will come down.
Old 3rd August 2015, 14:46   #18393
Senior - BHPian

I think the morons behind the wheels and on the rides are the problem, not the machines. Two days back I spotted a woman driving a hatch with her baby strapped in the front - of the woman, I mean,and not the car. Though the baby would be equally safe or exposed there.
So, if the mother doesn't know what's safe and what's not, what do we do?
Old 3rd August 2015, 15:28   #18394
BHPian

I made it a point to always gear up whenever I'm riding my motorcycle. I've been called many names(showoff being the mildest) but I never care. I still know people who do not apply the front disc(riding a Karizma) saying the disc is harmful and will cause the bike to skid. Unless the mindset of the motorcycle riding crowd changes, expect more fatalities..
Manoj2268 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2015, 16:30   #18395
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Slightly OT:

If people cannot understand the cons of high speed, no amount of advise will penetrate into their grey matter.
It is better if the manufacturers stop producing such bikes. At least the fatalities involving such bikes will come down.
Then the Govt. should not give them a license.
Why is banning everything a solution? What about enthusiasts and owners who know what the bike is capable of, and have years of experience?

Problem isn't the vehicles - problem is the riders/drivers. Govt. should instead impose stricter regulations and fines to deter people.
In cities like Mumbai where DUI was a serious problem, imposing stricter penalties with better policing has resulted in significantly safer roads at nights.
Definitely a better solution than banning alcohol and vehicles at night!
Similarly, a Ferrari and a Lambo were impounded for racing on the sealink in Mumbai - post that, the number of cars and supercars racing on the roads definitely reduced for a while.

With better training, stricter penalties, and better enforcement (maybe a separate license for bikes and vehicles over a certain power band?) - we might see a change in scenario.

Last edited by lamborghini : 3rd August 2015 at 16:33.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2015, 05:51   #18396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Karma caught these morons faster than they expected!
If one checks their YouTube channel, they have clearly crossed limits with their pranks.

In another video, you will find that they almost stole a girl's scooter and a person's bicycle.

Either someone aggressive like this Punto driver or an old person with a weak heart can teach a real life lesson to the so called 'pranksters'. Theft can't be justified under the garb of a 'prank'!
ameyawaghmare is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2015, 09:46   #18397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Karma caught these morons faster than they expected!

http://www.motoroids.com/features/vi...ong-in-bhopal/

Quoting from the above link
Of all the 'most common' hatchbacks they chose a Fiat Punto.
If it was me in that car and if I were driving an Alto, Santro or something like that then I would have at-least thought twice!
But with the Punto's built? Naah! I am too scared to even care! Never mess with an Italian!

Fiat Punto tagline: Life just became more interesting!!!

Last edited by RavSam : 4th August 2015 at 10:03.
RavSam is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th August 2015, 20:03   #18398
Team-BHP Support

Spotted this mangled Grand i10 on the service lane besides the NH-8.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-wp_20150804_18_56_40_pro.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-wp_20150804_18_57_15_pro.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-wp_20150804_18_57_20_pro.jpg
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2015, 20:47   #18399
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameyawaghmare View Post
If one checks their YouTube channel, they have clearly crossed limits with their pranks.

In another video, you will find that they almost stole a girl's scooter and a person's bicycle.

Either someone aggressive like this Punto driver or an old person with a weak heart can teach a real life lesson to the so called 'pranksters'. Theft can't be justified under the garb of a 'prank'!
+1.

Maybe they got too confident with the previous stunts. Absolute idiots.

Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 00:40   #18400
BHPian

My 10 day old E250 as mentioned earlier. It's off for repairs as we speak. Watch out for hooligans in autos, guys.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_1137.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_1135.jpg
Old 5th August 2015, 08:44   #18401
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
10 day old E250 as mentioned earlier. It's off for repairs as we speak
looks , you hit something in back or was it a head-on at low speeds . You should be good after change in bumper probably - try to keep original bonnet perhaps with small touching on scratches , factory alignments of such parts are little difficult at workshop besides the paint , they have habit of getting everything changed . Normally they will discourage you on such partial paint jobs but you should persist .
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 09:21   #18402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Spotted this mangled Grand i10 on the service lane besides the NH-8.

Attachment 1399344

Attachment 1399345

Attachment 1399346
holy mommy of God! that's ghastly!

any idea what happened and the state the occupants?
Old 5th August 2015, 09:33   #18403
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
holy mommy of God! that's ghastly!

any idea what happened and the state the occupants?
No clue Anil. They have used the hydraulic cutter (jaws of life) to cut open the ceiling from the co-driver side. Last Sunday, while we were descending the flyover, we noticed this contraption (only to realise it was a badly mangled car later!) but couldn't stop as our car was on the right most lane and we were doing 70-80 kmph. Yesterday, I had to come via this route, took the service lane, clicked the snaps quickly and left the scene.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 09:57   #18404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigissimo View Post
My 10 day old E250 as mentioned earlier. It's off for repairs as we speak.
Very sad to see the new car in this shape, I think having PPF would have saved a lot for you in this case. Anyway Turbanator mentioned do not replace the bonnet, try to cover up with a tinkering job and it should look good.
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2015, 10:35   #18405
BHPian

Saw this day before yesterday in sector 55 Gurgaon. Looks like city was trying to overtake and miscalculated the distance.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_4596.jpg  

Most Viewed