Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2015, 20:54   #18436
BHPian

In early June 2015, during the entire trip in Ladakh I saw zoom cars (I can recall red Scorpios only) driving rashly and parked idiotically. The drivers were obviously hatchback experience ones, no offence to some of the seasoned drivers I have noticed on the roads other than Ladakh.

A real bad one comes to mind on the Tso Moriri to Jispa stretch, after 5 pm this boy would just tailgate. I had to repeatedly get down and reassure the boy that darkness is not bad, Incase I do not see him behind for 5 mins then I will make a u-turn and get him out. The roads were bad that day with a lot of slush and water crossings were scaring Locals.... Just the setting or scene where experience shows and one likes to cling to any security without knowing that a 4WD will go though the turn but a 2WD will spin and face the mountain or the cliff and speed is the worst enemy in such scenarios.
Old 17th August 2015, 06:55   #18437
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Sad, the concept of Zoom cars is great but am not sure how well it would work in this country, am sure many who are not used/good to drive cars will rent the car and misuse it!

A month back when i drove to Bangalore via madikeri, i came across many "zoom" cars esp XUV and Scorpio which were driver very rashly and many of the cars were packed....
I will not blame the Zoom cars in this case. Whether it is a rental car or one's own car, it all boils down to driving ethics and basic road sense.

It is pretty obvious one has to slow down along a curve. Unfortunately in this case it did not work out. Agreed one may question the condition of the rental car. Also what is the guarantee that one's personal vehicle is maintained very well.
suresh_gs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 09:07   #18438
BHPian

+1 to suresh on that.
Why do we blame the car after all the person who rented the car should have checked the conditions of the tyre. Secondly rash driving is not fault of provider but of user.
Old 17th August 2015, 10:02   #18439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Sad, the concept of Zoom cars is great but am not sure how well it would work in this country, am sure many who are not used/good to drive cars will rent the car and misuse it!
On the lighter side, may be they should change their name.

Whoever is renting those cars are forced to believe that they have to ZOOM when they really can't [shouldn't]. Have seen many such ZOOMs on road. I thought they were rash because they don't own the vehicle. They are forgetting that they are owning their life
FORTified is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 10:05   #18440
BHPian

Saw a very disturbing scene at ORR just opposite to Eco Space while coming to Office in the morning at 7:15am, 2 men one in Khaki uniform and other with a Backpack (could not see any Helmet) lying on the road with Blood and further a Bullet crashed to the Divider.

Assuming the Biker rider lost control and crashed with the Khaki uniform person who was crossing the road....

Why on earth there is No Sky walk at Eco Space junction.... both the authorities of the Company and Government was few more to Die at this junction....
Pumpy_Raj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 19:11   #18441
BHPian

Looking at this recent Bangalore incident with Zoomcar, this aspect of fatigue does strike. Sure, the drivers must be aware that slowing is of utmost importance on a curve but when fatigue sets in, you tend to take things lightly.

You might gave experienced this when you are reaching home after a long driving day that tired you a bit for any reason, the mind gets tempted to drive faster through rough sections, speed breakers, etc. and reach home at the earliest. I can imagine a similar scenario if we were to think from a driving point of view.

Well, but 13 people in a car!! Can't see any justification for that! And these were educated enough folks...
Old 17th August 2015, 19:44   #18442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumzup View Post
Self-driving rental cars + irresponsible/immature drivers = perfect combination of disaster waiting to happen
Any car + irresponsible/immature drivers = perfect combination of disaster waiting to happen.
createrkid is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 20:47   #18443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by createrkid View Post
Any car + irresponsible/immature drivers = perfect combination of disaster waiting to happen.
Mon ami. Bit more nuanced than that. Please see my restatement below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumzup View Post
Self-driving rental cars + irresponsible/immature drivers = perfect combination of disaster waiting to happen
Its more like
Drivers who are unfamiliar with the driving dynamics of a bigger car (e.g hatchback driver in a SUV) +
"lets push hard since we're on holiday/ drive fast on expressway (without getting familiar with the car's limits / behavior under hard braking etc)
= Much higher probability of disaster.

I'm sure there are (much rarer) stories of people crashing brand new cars because they ripped it on day one without getting comfortable with the car's limits.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 22:35   #18444
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Its more like
Drivers who are unfamiliar with the driving dynamics of a bigger car (e.g hatchback driver in a SUV) +
"lets push hard since we're on holiday/ drive fast on expressway (without getting familiar with the car's limits / behavior under hard braking etc)
= Much higher probability of disaster.
Drive it as if you stole it.

Well, rented it is not far off.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2015, 23:22   #18445
BHPian

Accidents in India - PICS

Just got out of a huge traffic jam due to accident... A cement mixer involved was greatly damaged. Couldn't see what else was involved - hope people are safe. Traffic is held up on both sides for a couple of KMs! This is below the rail over bridge between Marathahalli and soulspace/total mall on the outer ring road, Bangalore.

Last edited by chakri400 : 17th August 2015 at 23:30.
Old 18th August 2015, 07:56   #18446
BHPian

Two teens on bike kill cyclist in Chennai.

Quote:

Two teenagers crashed their superbike at high speed into a 30-year-old mechanic, killing him on the spot in Selaiyur on Sunday afternoon, police said. Raji Ganesh, 18, and Akash, 15, later smashed into a parked minilorry and are now in a private hospital where the condition of the older boy is said to be critical. The impact of the crash destroyed the bike which, according to unconfirmed reports, was a Kawazaki AZ-14R with an on-road price tag of Rs 17.66 lakh.

I believe the vehicle is mistyped and should be Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14R.
Police version says 18 year old was riding the bike nevertheless without a license and safety gears

News LINK
treadmark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 08:58   #18447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
I will not blame the Zoom cars in this case. Whether it is a rental car or one's own car, it all boils down to driving ethics and basic road sense.
Not exactly. Blame the mentality of people also over here. Many, who rent the car literally fly over the humps, obstacles etc. and drive it rashly just because they don't own the car. They will never do it to their own car. For many people, a rented car is something which comes to them without any strings attached and they have to make good use of their money by trying out everything which they usually don't dare to do with their owned car.
Last week, I saw a Zoom Figo sitting on top of a pile of boulders near Vijaya Bank layout, off Bannerghatta road. Somebody lost control over it and ended up on top of the rocks.
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 13:05   #18448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
Not exactly. Blame the mentality of people also over here. Many, who rent the car literally fly over the humps, obstacles etc. and drive it rashly just because they don't own the car.
You nailed it.
I know people who rented these ZOOM cars because they don't want to spoil their own vehicles. They man-handle the cars because once they return them, they got nothing to do with that car anymore.
At the risk of repitition, I would like to say - They are forgetting that they are owning their lives
FORTified is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 13:19   #18449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakri400 View Post
Just got out of a huge traffic jam due to accident... A cement mixer involved was greatly damaged. Couldn't see what else was involved - hope people are safe. Traffic is held up on both sides for a couple of KMs! This is below the rail over bridge between Marathahalli and soulspace/total mall on the outer ring road, Bangalore.
My friend witnessed this accident and apparently a trailer carrying construction equipment dint notice the hight limit and ended up crashing it's top on the arch. The cement mixer rear ended it.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1439883773033.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1439883813384.jpg
kp1992 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 13:56   #18450
BHPian

On the way to my office, saw a huge crowd gathered on the ORR opposite country club on the road going towards marathalli, could not see anything, as I was in cab going towards ecospace. Anyone crossed that side? This was around 1:15 PM.

Most Viewed