Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2015, 09:54   #18661
Senior - BHPian

This looks scary !

Soumyajit9 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th September 2015, 14:47   #18662
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Bad enough to read about it in the paper. Even apart from the wheels, she could have been hit by any part of the bus, including the floor itself as she fell. Astonishing to see her get up and walk away!

Thanks for posting.
Old 18th September 2015, 09:20   #18663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
This looks scary !
This is horrible, what if it was on a highway?! The lady is very very lucky to be alive.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th September 2015 at 09:31. Reason: Removing video from the quoted post.
Old 18th September 2015, 12:10   #18664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
This looks scary !
This is obviously scary and horrible maintenance of the bus. How can the floor of a bus cave in like that on the move, I think it was rusted and the bolts were in the stage of falling apart which then fell down due to the weight of the lady. Serious action should be taken against the bus owner if it is a private bus
Old 18th September 2015, 12:21   #18665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
IF that's the BSK-Sompura stretch of NICE Road, this could very well be a high-speed flip across a divider (that stretch has some very juicy sweeping elevation changing corners and I've seen plenty of idiots ripping under-tired contraptions here) OR possibly a fall from one of the overhead passes over the NICE corridor (Uttarahalli Road?).

All conjecture of course and this could be somewhere/something else entirely.
I think you are right. I think this is a fall onto NICE road from a fly-over above.

And this is the what the largest selling sedan by a huge margin looks like from a safety perspective. Its soon becoming like the airlines, you get into an accident, you pay with your life
Old 18th September 2015, 13:53   #18666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
This is obviously scary and horrible maintenance of the bus. How can the floor of a bus cave in like that on the move, I think it was rusted and the bolts were in the stage of falling apart which then fell down due to the weight of the lady. Serious action should be taken against the bus owner if it is a private bus
Hey Fusionbang, buddy!

This is a Tamil Nadu owned State Transport Bus. These buses are very very badly maintained and I try my best to stay away from them when I see them on the road. Today it was the floor, tomorrow it might be brakes or an axle or a rogue tire flying right at me.

State owned and operated, and so nothing can be done unfortunately.
DDiSLover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 14:17   #18667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDiSLover View Post

This is a Tamil Nadu owned State Transport Bus. State owned and operated, and so nothing can be done unfortunately.
Here is the picture

source: Mathrubhumi
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-bus.jpg  

Latheesh is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 14:44   #18668
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
And this is the what the largest selling sedan by a huge margin looks like from a safety perspective. Its soon becoming like the airlines, you get into an accident, you pay with your life
Do you think that cars should be engineered to survive vertical drops off flyovers? Or that aircraft should still be whole after falling out of the sky?

Even if these things were engineering possibilities, the cost would be astronomical.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 15:09   #18669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Do you think that cars should be engineered to survive vertical drops off flyovers?
With absolutely no offences to you sir, I am sure that in India most of the cars don't even go through the Basic crash test as in other countries. Forget about the "advanced tests or upgrades" that you suggested.

Regards,
Saurabh.
saurabh2711 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 15:39   #18670
Senior - BHPian

Regarding the woman dropping from the floor of a bus, I think its the second time that I have seen something like this happen. Found the link where a school girl died. Again from Tamil Nadu!

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle3682688.ece
Old 18th September 2015, 16:11   #18671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDiSLover View Post
Hey Fusionbang, buddy!

This is a Tamil Nadu owned State Transport Bus. These buses are very very badly maintained and I try my best to stay away from them when I see them on the road. Today it was the floor, tomorrow it might be brakes or an axle or a rogue tire flying right at me.

State owned and operated, and so nothing can be done unfortunately.
As a matter of fact most of the state owned transport corporation buses are maintained very badly. Earlier there was a case wherein the rear axle detached from a Maharashtra state transport bus.
In another such case the tyre of a KSRTC bus melted completely with only the rim remaining. So we cannot say which transport corporation is the best when it comes to maintaining buses.
I would say to some extent the private owned buses are maintained properly when compared to the state owned buses.
Old 18th September 2015, 16:23   #18672
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post
With absolutely no offences to you sir, I am sure that in India most of the cars don't even go through the Basic crash test as in other countries. Forget about the "advanced tests or upgrades" that you suggested.
This is true. Look at the Maruti utterances of not so long ago, and the subsequent T-BHP discussion. However, that, and the selling of cars where the Indian model is substandard compared to other-market models is, as they say, a whole other story.

On the other hand, we have many who look at a lot of accident pictures and claim that the damage shows that the vehicle must be weak and unsafe. People make these comments about valid crumple-zone damage, which actually makes the occupants safer, and they make them about accidents so severe that they would flatten a Bentley, and probably even cause major damage to the proverbial tank.

We know little about the circumstances of the picture that began this exchange, but my view is that neither safety design nor testing need to include the remote possibility of vehicles falling ten or twenty feet. I don't think it is a reasonable requirement. Others' views may vary.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2015, 17:23   #18673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
As a matter of fact most of the state owned transport corporation buses are maintained very badly. Earlier there was a case wherein the rear axle detached from a Maharashtra state transport bus.
In another such case the tyre of a KSRTC bus melted completely with only the rim remaining. So we cannot say which transport corporation is the best when it comes to maintaining buses.
I would say to some extent the private owned buses are maintained properly when compared to the state owned buses.
Yes yes, I meant most State owned buses, not TN state in particular. Mentioned TN to clarify that the particular bus in question was from TN.
Old 18th September 2015, 18:40   #18674
BHPian

Is life so cheap ? Why is that the so called top brasses never bother about the condition/safety of the public transport ? Or is it a skill problem ? I mean would an IPS/IAS officer be the right fit always to run a transport corporation ? With the advent of Ola/Uber etc, i think they should start looking at such partnerships to run public transport - government should provide guidelines on safety, condition of the bus etc. Government need not run everything and create avenues for leakage of tax payers money.
sunishsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2015, 09:11   #18675
Senior - BHPian

Another addition to the increasing list of Zoomcar cars involved in accidents. This one was on the tank bund near Harohalli, NH 209. The scorpio seems to have gone down a few feet into the tank. No information about the occupants. Pictures were clicked by my friend.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20150919_080545a.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20150919_080547.jpg
sandsun7 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed