Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2015, 10:41   #18901
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
But tankslapper is bad, very bad. Something like, when in an OTR, if you catch hold of the steering, it might break your hand.
A steering damper sure helps. But its just additional weight on track. When this happens you just hope you can save that day or atleast fall safe on your back or sides.
Old 13th October 2015, 12:18   #18902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
One thing though, the front impact, he may have been ok after the crash. I mean, the airbags, the structure would probably have allowed him to be in a state to walk out dizzy, I feel. But that transformer falling, that must have sent him to hospital.
I agree. From what I see in the pictures, it looks like the transformer fell on the car after the car rammed the pole (looking at the first picture). Though again, with a narrow pole impact, not sure if the sensors would understand it as a full frontal impact and deploy airbags.

Having said that - and continuing with the theory of the Transformer having fallen on the car after it hit the pole - I dont know how the airbags would have helped, because even after the airbags would have got deployed and the transformer would have fallen on the car after a couple of seconds. It is a double whammy.
Old 13th October 2015, 13:08   #18903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post
I'm not taking sides here but ,in general the bikers are always notorious for this. They over take you from the left when you're negotiating a turn. The gap we usually leave is for us to turn safely without hitting the pavement , these guys squeeze through and force us to brake hard & move to the right lane and make us look like 'bad drivers'.
The worst part? They pick up fights if you give a blaring honk or if you don't give way.
Bikers drive with the most foul attitude and temperament on the road. Maybe the natural elements or getting pushed around by 4-wheelers are the cause. Nevertheless, they seem to have no worry for man, animal, or weed and their own lives.

My biggest fear is: taking U-turns on roads where there is no dividing median. I usually am dead-slow and look back physically and keep my eyesight periphery focused on the front, then negotiate the turn on a crawl. I also look at the outside mirrors -only- for bikers. Even then, at the last moment some biker will come zooming down, do a circle around the vehicle and zoom by, from the driver side. Usually at high speed. If there is an impact the legs of the biker are zilch, and he will go flying off with a perpendicular hit. They never think all this. Why..? Instead they stare with mechanical glare and cold sullen eyes when honked or flash passed. Their patience level is probably 0.00.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 6th February 2019 at 10:56. Reason: edited post for better readability
Old 13th October 2015, 13:53   #18904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
....My biggest fear is: taking U-turns on roads where there is no dividing median. ...
Not trying to justify, I have recently increased my commute on my bikes and I have noticed couple of things. Its difficult to bring a bike to stand still every time there is a guy taking a U turn or cutting lanes, especially when you have a pillion, I my self have been on both sides(car and bikes) and I believe the car drivers are also reckless these days, especially when they need to take a U Turn, its like Clarkson "Power !!!" people just take a U turn without even looking.

Second thing is people don't stop before taking a U turn, half of their cars are already half way through the U turn before the decide to look if their way is clear. I feel today's traffic situation is a trickle effect of people (both Cars and Bikes) ignoring basic etiquettes for a really long time. No one knows who started first, but would require some serious enforcement before the behaviour changes.

PS: I personally despise people(both Cars and Bikes) who turn the roads into their own race tracks, who put other motorists on risk. Lets be reasonable and not paint every cabbie, Car guy, biker, bus driver, auto rick guy with the same brush.

Pramod

Last edited by khan_sultan : 6th February 2019 at 10:57. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
pramodkumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2015, 14:19   #18905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGA View Post
A Merc got supercharged in Ludhiana on Saturday night.

Few years back similar accident happened near my home

1) My brother's friend lost control of his rental car - hit a transformer

Result - Damaged post,badly damaged car, and the guy was in hospital for 5 months

2) Next year his brother took his FIL's Zen, misjudged a turn and hit a transformer

Result - Damaged post and transformer, badly damaged car, and the guy was in hospital for 6 months

Both these accidents happened in same locality - result was more or less same

Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 07:03   #18906
Senior - BHPian

Spotted this nasty accident on the ORR near Banaswadi. I passed by the place at around 6:00am and there were already a few fire trucks and a crane trying to clear the mess.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-web1.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-web2.jpg

The rear axle completely sheered off the truck and was elsewhere. Looked to be a fully loaded truck since there was fuel all over the place and we could smell it 100 meters away from the accident spot.

Dint look like a tire blowout, in all likelihood the driver must have dozed off at the wheel and completely missed the curve.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 09:59   #18907
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post

The rear axle completely sheered off the truck and was elsewhere. Looked to be a fully loaded truck since there was fuel all over the place and we could smell it 100 meters away from the accident spot.

Dint look like a tire blowout, in all likelihood the driver must have dozed off at the wheel and completely missed the curve.
If it is a loaded one, then it would be heading towards Hebbal , which means it jumped the divider to the opposite lane and then again jumped one more divider to land on the service road.
That would have been major if it had happened during peak time or during the day.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 10:32   #18908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
If it is a loaded one, then it would be heading towards Hebbal
Why would a loaded fuel tanker be only going towards Hebbal? Every petrol pump in the city receives fuel stock in these type of trucks, right? So it could have been going to anywhere in the city?
Old 14th October 2015, 10:55   #18909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Why would a loaded fuel tanker be only going towards Hebbal? Every petrol pump in the city receives fuel stock in these type of trucks, right? So it could have been going to anywhere in the city?
The fuel depot is at Devanagonthi near Whitefield from where these trucks originate. So they come through KR Puram and divert accordingly from there to different parts of the city.
Highly unlikely a loaded one would be going the opposite way.
tharian is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 11:05   #18910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
If it is a loaded one, then it would be heading towards Hebbal , which means it jumped the divider to the opposite lane and then again jumped one more divider to land on the service road.
That would have been major if it had happened during peak time or during the day.
Yes it was heading towards hebbal and then jumped the median with a load of fuel still in its tank. I dread to imagine what would have transpired if the accident occurred during peak hours.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 14:32   #18911
BHPian

Sccoter v. Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Who do you think is at fault here - the scooterist or the driver of the Swift?
From a lawyers point of view.
1. The left was thru the dedicated lane earlier in the video
2. The car giving the signal was wrong.
3. The Scooter guy- for whatever his shortcomings- is not to blame. You can call him all sorts of name- npoob* Novice* fool* beginner* BUT he was not in the wrong.
4. The Car guy was wrong.
5. The 4-way junction does not mean that there was a left provided for.
6. It was provided for before the main intersection.

The ONLY thing that changes, is if a physical inspection of the junction shows that the left lane HAS an allowance to turn left-
which looks unlikely in the presence of the dedicated left lane.
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 14:43   #18912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer & Anvil View Post
Sccoter v. Car

From a lawyers point of view.
3. The Scooter guy- for whatever his shortcomings- is not to blame. You can call him all sorts of name- npoob* Novice* fool* beginner* BUT he was not in the wrong.
4. The Car guy was wrong.
If you play the video again you will notice that at the point of impact, the scooterist is actually well into the road that IS the left turn. Do you still believe that the scooterist is not at fault?
Old 14th October 2015, 14:57   #18913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post

Few years back similar accident happened near my home

1) My brother's friend lost control of his rental car - hit a transformer

Result - Damaged post,badly damaged car, and the guy was in hospital for 5 months

2) Next year his brother took his FIL's Zen, misjudged a turn and hit a transformer

Result - Damaged post and transformer, badly damaged car, and the guy was in hospital for 6 months

Both these accidents happened in same locality - result was more or less same

Sorry mate, I am not sure whats funny here. The guy spending 5 to 6 months in hospital? If some of your relatives or loved ones have gone through the similar trauma, you will understand my emotion.
Old 14th October 2015, 15:31   #18914
BHPian

Received this crash video from a friend who rides a Harley. This HOG group was apparently on the way to Leh from Manali. One of the riders who was seemingly riding too fast could not handle a sudden depression and crashed (you see quite a few of them in and around Leh. Probably they are designed to provide exit to water-streams).

Having been to Leh, I have had first-hand experiences of some of these fantastic roads. It's kind of easy to be tricked into a false sense of security while riding / driving. But, one has to be extremely careful about these dangers (sudden depressions and missing roads) which are just waiting for you to let your guard down.

Will urge caution to the group members riding / driving to Leh. One can't even imagine the horror of being stuck (with broken car / bike and a few bones) in a remote location with rarefied oxygen. Any kind of help will probably take at least a few hours to arrive at these locations.

Last edited by Gotham_City : 14th October 2015 at 15:34.
Gotham_City is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 17:05   #18915
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
If you play the video again you will notice that at the point of impact, the scooterist is actually well into the road that IS the left turn. Do you still believe that the scooterist is not at fault?
The turn that the Swift took is NOT a left turn, its meant for the vehicles of the opposite lane to turn right, at that intersection. The Swift already missed the dedicated left turn that was provided. He should have continued straight and made a U turn where provided.
heavenlybull is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed