Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2015, 10:19   #19036
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

Saw a live accident on my return journey from Goa on Sunday (01 Nov).

The Manza driver was having a ball of a time messing with other vehicles for over 15-20 kms of drive we had him in sight. All in all, his nastiness paid off big time - he should be thanking his stars that the victim escaped with just two cuts on his face.
Honestly swiftnfurious, I feel such idiots behind wheels must skid off the road and slam head on into a tree or a barricade. I know I am being quite cruel here, but IMO only victim of such reckless drives must be the one who does it

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post

Did you miss any word in the last line? Why did the ladies bite their arms & legs?
Hahaha common FORTified, I am quite sure it was a typo (hit their arms & legs).

Considering everybody involved are safe, this typo is quite funny
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 10:29   #19037
Senior - BHPian

A police jeep was involved in an accident at Mysore this morning. Seems a speeding two wheeler somehow T boned into this police jeep.

Name:  ForumRunner_20151104_102841.png
Views: 6309
Size:  565.1 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20151104_102909.png
Views: 6278
Size:  545.1 KB
Old 4th November 2015, 10:55   #19038
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
A police jeep was involved in an accident at Mysore this morning. Seems a speeding two wheeler somehow T boned into this police jeep.
Justice would definitely be served to this biker. I once had the misfortune of touching an inspector on a scooter, who cut across me from the left to right at hosa junction. He literally tore into my car, but the traffic police there had seen the entire incident and asked him to cool down and asked me to move on.

The positive side of the incident, I got myself a dashcam.

Saw this on my way to office today. Not sure how he managed this as there traffic on this road is minimum. He might have gone too generous in giving side to the oncoming traffic.
The sides of the road were ok, till a "well-known" builder started construction around that area.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-nov4.jpg
Old 4th November 2015, 11:40   #19039
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.gt View Post
Justice would definitely be served to this biker. I once had the misfortune of touching an inspector on a scooter, who cut across me from the left to right at hosa junction. He literally tore into my car, but the traffic police there had seen the entire incident and asked him to cool down and asked me to move on.
I'm not sure if you implied sarcasm in the bolded quote?

The biker apparently wasn't harmed. However the chief of police for our area was also there, not sure why he'd come to check on a supposedly usual accident. Things are definitely murky. That stretch is a wide open straight road, one of the very few left in Mysore with no cross roads.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 12:03   #19040
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
I'm not sure if you implied sarcasm in the bolded quote?
Very much implied, SunnyBoi. There could be several reasons for the top brass landing up there. May be the police was in the process of capturing a runaway felon.
What I said is strictly from my POV based on my experiences and the things I've seen while driving. One never escapes the long arm of the law if involved in anyway with the law enforcement. Again, this discussion belongs in a different thread
Old 4th November 2015, 12:41   #19041
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Saw a live accident on my return journey from Goa on Sunday (01 Nov). The Manza driver was having a ball of a time messing with other vehicles for over 15-20 kms of drive we had him in sight. He has blocking a 525d for quite sometime from overtaking. While we overtook him, he tried to swerve his car to the right to block us. All in all, his nastiness paid off big time - he should be thanking his stars that the victim escaped with just two cuts on his face.
I have done limited driving on high density, fast 2 lane National Highways but I could not help but notice that the situation is worst on NH17.

Trying squeeze through when there is hardly any gap. Recklessness on the loose on the ghats. Overtaking on curves in front on oncoming traffic. Especially, if there is a slow moving truck chances are you will find one these morons floor it and try to squeeze in. When not in the mood just block others from overtaking by their silly behaviour of jutting towards the right or driving on the middle of the road.

I do wonder why this absurd behaviour of many of my fellow motorists on NH17.

Last edited by cyberwhizs : 4th November 2015 at 12:42.
Old 4th November 2015, 13:23   #19042
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Toll booths are easily one of the most dangerous spots on our NHs ....... , people still continue to speed and brake only at the last min just before the toll . ...someone would ram into the vehicle ahead of them just because they were drowsy or not paying attention( collecting change for the toll amount ) or because the driver ahead braked suddenly for the speedbreakers just before the toll booth entrance .
The most irritating and inconvenient aspect is the non-rounded toll amount charged. (Eg: Rs 41, 22 etc). It holds up the driver too long at the toll boot juggling for loose change and contributes to an increased queue.
Why don't they just charge in multiples of Rs 10 ? The way these toll amounts are designed are extremely inefficient. Total apathy by the NHAI here and absolutely no common-sense. It is very much possible that they fix these non-rounded amounts deliberately as a scam. Out of the lakhs of people passing through, not everyone will have change and there is always scope for excess unaccounted money trickling here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberwhizs View Post

Recklessness on the loose on the ghats. Overtaking on curves in front on oncoming traffic. Especially, if there is a slow moving truck chances are you will find one these morons floor it and try to squeeze in. When not in the mood just block others from overtaking by their silly behaviour of jutting towards the right or driving on the middle of the road.
Likewise on the ghats on the NH48/AH75. One has to be extremely careful if you see a line of vehicles approaching you around a curve (curving to your right). Chances are that one the vehicles behind the vehicle approaching you will be in an overtaking manoeuvre and will be in your lane and the situation is extremely risky because you won't be able to see this vehicle.

To counter this, all you can do is slow down before the curve, blow your horn and flash your lights a couple of times to provide enough visual and audible signals that you are around, and hope that none of them in front are overtaking madly on the curves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameyawaghmare View Post
This looks to be a clear case of terrible driving skills! Even if this was a case of overtaking on a a blind curve, there looks to be enough space for 3 cars.

The Indica went to an extreme right side of the road (or more correctly, wrong side!). I am wondering what could we do if we come across a situation like this (like Santro's driver). There is no other option than to get off the road towards left to give way to such a rash driver...
If the driver overtook blindly on a curve without being able to see the oncoming traffic, that is the worst possible form of rash driving. I faced the same situation recently and had no option but to steer clear of the road completely onto the left bank and let the vehicle (swift) in front pass by a whisker.
High time they enforce strict driving tests before dolling out licenses.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 4th November 2015 at 13:26.
Old 4th November 2015, 13:57   #19043
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
The most irritating and inconvenient aspect is the non-rounded toll amount charged. (Eg: Rs 41, 22 etc). It holds up the driver too long at the toll boot juggling for loose change and contributes to an increased queue.
Why don't they just charge in multiples of Rs 10 ? The way these toll amounts are designed are extremely inefficient. Total apathy by the NHAI here and absolutely no common-sense. It is very much possible that they fix these non-rounded amounts deliberately as a scam. Out of the lakhs of people passing through, not everyone will have change and there is always scope for excess unaccounted money trickling here.

This is because of the Public Private partnership which entails some %age of the toll collected to go to the government. Hence the odd figures. If say 27% of toll has to go to the Government then whatever the base amount be the final figure will end up in an odd denomination. Nothing much can be done on this. What i have observed though is, the toll between long highway stretches are almost always multiples of 10 and 5. It is the short stretches that result in such odd denominations
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 14:20   #19044
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
If say 27% of toll has to go to the Government then whatever the base amount be the final figure will end up in an odd denomination. Nothing much can be done on this.
When this toll collection is being implemented at a National level, they better ensure a rounded up figure(multiple of 10s) for the toll charged and factor the 27% that goes to the Govt within this amount. They can easily implement this, its a matter of their will to bring a positive small change that can make a big difference to road users.
Old 4th November 2015, 14:43   #19045
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
When this toll collection is being implemented at a National level, they better ensure a rounded up figure(multiple of 10s) for the toll charged and factor the 27% that goes to the Govt within this amount. They can easily implement this, its a matter of their will to bring a positive small change that can make a big difference to road users.
Yea, it will be a great convinience to road users ! No doubt in that.

Like i mentioned , the long stretches already have this round figure tolls(NH4 majority of the tolls). However it would be good if it is implemented across all the tolls
Old 4th November 2015, 15:33   #19046
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameyawaghmare View Post
This looks to be a clear case of terrible driving skills! Looking at the road in photos, I must say it was a very wide stretch of a road. Even if this was a case of overtaking on a a blind curve, there looks to be enough space for 3 cars.

The Indica went to an extreme right side of the road (or more correctly, wrong side!). I am wondering what could we do if we come across a situation like this (like Santro's driver). There is no other option than to get off the road towards left to give way to such a rash driver...
A good driver would have escaped without harm if there is a bike on the left. 3 cars together is a bit tight on the curve. The Manza guy locked his wheels & hence drifted to the other side.

The Santro could have moved to the left, but the guy came to a halt just before the collision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
Did you miss any word in the last line? Why did the ladies bite their arms & legs?
Sorry guys, typed all those from a mobile. I see there are a bunch of errors, will request the mods to clean it up.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 4th November 2015 at 15:34.
Old 4th November 2015, 19:24   #19047
Distinguished - BHPian

Read this on HVK Forum a while ago. Accident on Pune-Mumbai Expressway today involving multiple vehicles:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-11201179_10208003427584120_217471798895121279_n.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-12187905_10208003425824076_6905384968719653533_n.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-12189962_10208003433264262_8647477668292182564_n.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-12193408_10208003420183935_8088954503450457486_n.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-12193503_10208003414303788_2651785405012099208_n.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-12195850_10208003418463892_9050723079283047834_n.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-12195986_10208003424104033_3077841505222744748_n.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-12208843_10208003415903828_1361304608632446930_n.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-12208843_10208003423264012_2937838346378690092_n.jpg

Discussion here.

Last edited by paragsachania : 4th November 2015 at 19:27.
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 19:28   #19048
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Accident on Pune-Mumbai Expressway today involving multiple vehicles:
I'm guessing tailgating + speeding to be the biggest contributors to such a pile up on a clear day!
Old 4th November 2015, 19:32   #19049
BHPian

OMG!! This is a terrible accident. I cannot make out the car, but the one between the Dzire and the Verna, seems to be in a really bad shape.
I cannot open the discussion link but I hope and pray that all are safe and survived this ghastly accident.
Old 4th November 2015, 19:32   #19050
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I'm guessing tailgating + speeding to be the biggest contributors to such a pile up on a clear day!
One of the contributors along with haphazard lane indiscipline and overtaking without least assessment just because someone else did that ahead of you.

Anyway, I notice that there were some fatalities (As per the discussion) and would wait for what the papers have to say. Cannot rule out the truck(s) too if there was some failure or rash driving/maneuvers on their part that may have caused a chain reaction.

Most Viewed