Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2015, 15:08   #19096
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
I was eye-witness to this accident!

. The car, a Verna, was speeding heavily in excess of 100 KMPH. The driver didn't notice the bend till the last moment and then panic braked. There was louud screeching noise from the tires. The car first hit the divider and then fish-tailed. Eventually toppled a few times before coming to rest. The crash happenned at such a high speed that bumper fell off ~100 ft before the car stopped finally. Glass and pieces of metal spread over 50 ft at one side of the road.

A question to Verna owners: From the screeching noise I heard, the car tires seemed to have locked under hard braking. Doesn't Verna come with ABS?
Scary situation to witness indeed. A combination or just any of these: balding tyres, bad brake pads, bad calipers, bad rotors and bad wheel bearings could cause a car with ABS to lock up its tyres. Driver should have released the brakes and began pumping them himself. However I guess everyone needs to be taught how to handle high-speed emergency situations such as these. Had the driver shifted down to transfer weight progressively and induce engine braking that car would have been more composed and might even have been able to take the curve at those speeds. What a pity
IshaanIan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th November 2015, 18:47   #19097
BHPian

Quote:
From the Google map image, I dont think its a very sharp turn which cant be negotiated at 100kmph (Though its higher for a curve but not un-manageable) , What I feel is the driver might have got blinded by on-coming vehicle and saw the median a bit too late and over-reacted to the situation, (have been in such situations earlier, I let go off the accelarator and start applying mild brakes whenever I am blinded), I do not understand why the ABS did not kick in, In fact, Verna's ABS are way too proactive,I own a Verna and ABS kicks in even for fine gravel found before speed bumps, and have been forced to take speed bumps at higher speeds, Same has been discussed in Creta thread recently. One more thing, From the pics, Am unable to make out if the Airbags were deployed, and any idea if the driver was wearing seat belts, The driver side of the car doesnt seem to be too deformed. Sorry for too many questions
karts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2015, 19:23   #19098
MSC
BHPian

I have got this pic on FB. Incident at Rampur (Himachal Pradesh). Unfortunately no further details.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-12003862_1062003353844328_3697485046401653514_n.jpg  

MSC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2015, 23:11   #19099
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karts View Post
From the Google map image, I dont think its a very sharp turn which cant be negotiated at 100kmph (Though its higher for a curve but not un-manageable) , What I feel is the driver might have got blinded by on-coming vehicle and saw the median a bit too late and over-reacted to the situation, (have been in such situations earlier, I let go off the accelarator and start applying mild brakes whenever I am blinded), I do not understand why the ABS did not kick in, In fact, Verna's ABS are way too proactive,I own a Verna and ABS kicks in even for fine gravel found before speed bumps, and have been forced to take speed bumps at higher speeds, Same has been discussed in Creta thread recently. One more thing, From the pics, Am unable to make out if the Airbags were deployed, and any idea if the driver was wearing seat belts, The driver side of the car doesnt seem to be too deformed. Sorry for too many questions
From my initial observation I felt the driver noticed the bend a bit late. There are bushes in the median which minimizes high-beam from opposite lane to some extent (but not all of it). The driver might had been inattentive to the road (this kind of things happen to all of us at some point: tilting head towards passenger to engage in conversation; eyes off the road to change stereo setting etc). The driver panicked and braked very hard. No idea why tires got locked; ideally ABS should have kicked in. Airbags did not deploy as there was no frontal impact. In my opinion, driver error ; its not advisable to drive 100+ KMPH at night on Indian roads. And if one dares to go past 100+, double attention on the road is must.
ankan.m.blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2015, 00:17   #19100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I did not have heart to take pictures of the ghastly sight; just took a pic of the numberplate for reference. The car anyway is mangled beyond repair.

A question to Verna owners: From the screeching noise I heard, the car tires seemed to have locked under hard braking. Doesn't Verna come with ABS?
I'm surprised too. Verna does have ABS and it should have kicked in. No idea why it did not.

Also I guess if everyone wore their seat belts, they could have escaped with less injuries and avoid one death.
Old 16th November 2015, 04:51   #19101
BHPian

My Elite i20 took a hit today from an elderly guy who was driving his swift (old) in haphazard manner.

On a curve outside Sanpada Railway Station (Navi Mumbai) underpass, he lost control and kept hitting my car side until he regained control.

The case was settled instantly but the car will have to go to the workshop and I will have to be without it for a week at least.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1447629497945.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1447629508625.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1447629518435.jpg  

Dinesh_Malhotra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2015, 08:03   #19102
BHPian

Found this mangled XUV 500 while returning to Bangalore from Madurai on the NH7 before the town of Karur on 13th November.
I was running low on fuel so came down to the service road to refuel at the Indian oil service station. I don't think this is the site of the accident. The car must be kept here for insurance assessment.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20151113_093613picsay.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20151113_093620picsay.jpg
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151113_093613picsay.jpg
Views:	2534
Size:	269.2 KB
ID:	1440142
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20151113_093626picsay.jpg  

Satishtv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2015, 10:39   #19103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satishtv View Post
Found this mangled XUV 500 while returning to Bangalore from Madurai on the NH7 before the town of Karur on 13th November.
Looks like the accident is the same as the one reported in the below mentioned links. The XUV can be seen in the top left corner of the picture in the first link.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/stat...cle3125775.ece

http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...cle7871383.ece
batman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2015, 11:44   #19104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
A freak accident that came in the news
NHAI or whoever owns this stretch of highway are being questioned as well on how the car went off the road. Possibly a non installation of the protection barrier.

Quote:
Doesn't Verna come with ABS?
From the looks of it, the Verna appears to be top specification and should have all the bells and whistles on active safety equipment. However; having all the possible active safety equipment on board isn't going to save you if you are pushing a car beyond its limits. ABS, EBD must have definitely kicked in but it can't do much if the car is at excessive speed. The driver must have intervened by means of braking, steering and the tires must have lost traction. Speed was probably far too great to regain further control of the car.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 16th November 2015 at 11:48.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2015, 12:19   #19105
BHPian

Quote:
I was eye-witness to this accident!
The incident looks extremely scary with the first set of pictures. But the picture you have taken is scaring me more. I'm not able to make out the picture completely, but is that someone looking inside through the driver-side door or is it the driver himself still on the seat when you took this picture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
everyone needs to be taught how to handle high-speed emergency situations such as these. Had the driver shifted down to transfer weight progressively and induce engine braking that car would have been more composed and might even have been able to take the curve at those speeds. What a pity
Let me tell you something that I know about this particular point. I carpool to office and my colleague-cum-friend who travels along with me has got himself the Elite i20. I observed him sticking to just the brakes in order to slow down and he never ever uses the engine braking. I asked him for the reason and seems as though the ASS Engineers at Adwaith Hyundai have advised him never to use engine-braking as it destroys the engine.., and may void warranty. I'm just flabbergasted to hear this... (I request experts to enlighten me on this since I found nothing related to engine destruction on the internet ) On the other hand though, I'm used to engine braking and always stick to it. I've found that to be the best way to get the car under control on all my highway drives till date
vnidta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2015, 13:04   #19106
Senior - BHPian

That Verna is certainly totaled. That curve isnt very bad but if someone does not know the limits of his/her driving and pushes through such sweeping curves these things bound to happen. The ABS would have kicked in but then the braking was panic and on a curve plus at more than 100kph the reaction time is few milli seconds.

But whats surprising me is how the driver died, that side does not look very bad, I guess no seat belts plus late night drive after few swigs maybe.
Old 16th November 2015, 13:25   #19107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
That Verna is certainly totaled. That curve isnt very bad but if someone does not know the limits of his/her driving and pushes through such sweeping curves these things bound to happen. The ABS would have kicked in but then the braking was panic and on a curve plus at more than 100kph the reaction time is few milli seconds.

But whats surprising me is how the driver died, that side does not look very bad, I guess no seat belts plus late night drive after few swigs maybe.
Mine is top end verna 2014 Model. Now this argument is putting some thoughts or doubts in my mind when a small incident happened to me 20 days back. I was cruising in at 40 to 50 kms/Hr, and car in front of me had to jam the brakes due to small kids crossing the road out of nowhere. Looking at this I also jammed my brakes. I thought ABS would kick in but I have no clue whether that happened. Car's wheel got locked and it slided and hit the wagon R in my front. All this while I was thinking whether wheels got locked or not.

Is there a way to check whether ABS is really working ?
Old 16th November 2015, 13:26   #19108
Senior - BHPian

The Verna is totalled. There has been a lot of talk about the ABS etc.. I have a feeling that the driver could have actually dozed off. He probably realised late, jammed his brakes and steered into the divider. Not wearing seat belts could have led to the fatality. Just a thought as it happened at 1:30 am.
Old 16th November 2015, 13:37   #19109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
Looks like the accident is the same as the one reported in the below mentioned links. The XUV can be seen in the top left corner of the picture in the first link.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/stat...cle3125775.ece

http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...cle7871383.ece
No my friend, it is a different vehicle. Look at the color of the XUV 500 I have posted. Moreover the driver side is intact whereas in the pictures you have shared the driver side is damaged as well.
Old 16th November 2015, 13:37   #19110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endofdayz View Post
....Is there a way to check whether ABS is really working ?
I think the ABS light glows in the dashboard, not sure maybe other folks with ABS can comment on the same.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 6th February 2019 at 12:17. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability

Most Viewed