Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2015, 20:44   #19126
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
... Engine braking would only be harmful if you drop too many gears down and cause the rpm needle to raise above the red-line (several modern cars already have a electronic rpm limiter). ....
The electronic rpm limiter will not have any effect during engine braking. It only works when the car is under acceleration on fuel.
anupmathur is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2015, 23:41   #19127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
'Deens Academy', according to the RC details.

Attachment 1433172
Did you notice, the tax certificate expired in July 2015? So, had he gone ahead with complaint the school would have been in trouble.
Old 18th November 2015, 15:06   #19128
BHPian

Note from Support: Post edited. Please pay attention to grammar & spacing for better readability. Thanks!

We visited Siliguri went to my childhood school Don Bosco Siliguri & then to city centre & then left for Lataguri through Mainaguri had a jungle safari & stayed up at Suncity Resorts erstwhile Rose valley.

And now comes the return - it was nightmare. Long jams in Kaliachowk & in spite of all my friends & my elder brother advising to halt at Malda, I thought of driving straight to Kolkata & encountered a 2 hour traffic jam at Krishnanagar.

I had left Lataguri at 9.30 am, and it was 12.20 am when I was stuck up in Krishnanagar jam.

My eyes started drooling, so had coffee. My wife insisted to carry on till Kolkata. My class 6 daughter repeatedly asked me to halt in Malda & then again in some Krishnanagar hotel but vinaash kal viprit buddhi struck me & I droolled off in Ranaghat but stopped & splashed my eyes with water.

Finally I dozed off near Barasat & woke up to a huge thud!
Blood all over - my wife's head was bleeding.

My speed was around 30 kmph & I drifted to the wrong side & head on with a Mahindra big pickup. My wife was talking, my door not opening, my breathing stopped for a while & in 20 sec I could make out what happened.
It was 5:40 am & in Barasat - not a single car stopped to help me and finally I found that we are ok. My daughter in back seat was totally ok.

My wife didn't have skull fracture. Her CT scan is ok & I thought I was ok but after 2 days I developed severe pain in my left lower rib cage & I got it X-rayed. The 7th rib lumbar tip slight fractured and have been advised not to drive or ride a bike or lift weights for 2 months.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20151114wa0002.jpg

To all friends don't be overconfident & drive long hours.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-wp_20151117_11_11_02_pro.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th November 2015 at 17:17. Reason: Back to back posts merged; Posts formatted
Samratrek is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 18th November 2015, 16:42   #19129
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samratrek View Post
Glad to know you guys are safe, and escaped with minor injuries. It could have easily been far worse.

More than driving long hours - it's not being overconfident that's important. Knowing one's and the vehicle's limits is absolutely crucial. Hope you guys get well soon.

Last edited by aah78 : 18th November 2015 at 21:45. Reason: Quoted section has been edited.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2015, 16:44   #19130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally I dozed off near Barasat & woke up to a huge thud!
Blood all over - my wife's head was bleeding.

My speed was around 30kmph & I drifted to the wrong side & head on with a Mahindra big pickup.
My worst nightmare. I have found that a powernap of about 15 minutes helps, though in no way a substitute for one's full quota of rest and sleep. Glad that you and family are relatively unscathed.

Last edited by aah78 : 18th November 2015 at 21:46. Reason: Quoted section has been edited.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2015, 17:01   #19131
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a hunch that you people were not wearing seatbelts? I think that, with seatbelts, there might have been no injury at all from this accidents.

Lessons: wear seat belts, and acknowledge that, sometimes, the six-year-old in the family can be spot on right. Next time, listen to her advice and take that break
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 18th November 2015, 17:55   #19132
Senior - BHPian

That's a real nasty one. Glad you guys escaped without a life threatening injury. In my personal experience of Highway driving one should not drive more than 2.5-3 hours on a stretch and have coffee at each break. Caffeine certainly helps in staying active n agile.

Over confidence is really easy to get. It helps if other members in the car also stay awake n indulge u in a conversation in between. Otherwise blast the Music as loud as you can if others are sleeping.
harry10 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2015, 18:31   #19133
BHPian

Note from Support: Please pay attention to grammar & spacing before posting for better readability. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I have a hunch that you people were not wearing seatbelts? I think that, with seatbelts, there might have been no injury at all from this accidents.

Lessons: wear seat belts, and acknowledge that, sometimes, the six-year-old in the family can be spot on right. Next time, listen to her advice and take that break
Spot on! I was wearing seat belt but not my wife but still the lower steering wheel cracked my bottom rib and my wife's injury was due to her head banging the windshield. Thank god, we got a 2nd life. Had I dozed off an 10 minutes ago where the speed was around 70-80...

Last edited by aah78 : 18th November 2015 at 21:50. Reason: Post edited. Final warning. Next time infraction.
Samratrek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2015, 18:57   #19134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Spot on! I was wearing seat belt but not my wife but still the lower steering wheel cracked my bottom rib and my wife's injury was due to her head banging the windshield. Thank god, we got a 2nd life. Had I dozed off an 10 minutes ago where the speed was around 70-80...
Mate, Thanx for sharing your personal trauma. It is a lesson not only for you but for others as well.
In future, whenever you find any indication of tiredness/drowsiness in your body, kindly do not drive. There is always another day to test your driving distance.

Last edited by aah78 : 18th November 2015 at 21:48. Reason: Quoted section has been edited.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2015, 19:22   #19135
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry to hear the situation and hope your family recovers from this trauma quickly.As you have mentioned its a big mistake from your side when you knew that you are being stressed.

Thank the almighty and please spread this as a awareness among your family and friends if you don't mind.

Drive safe.

Last edited by aah78 : 18th November 2015 at 21:47. Reason: Quoted section has been edited.
RJ411 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2015, 21:05   #19136
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Spot on! I was wearing seat belt but not my wife but still the lower steering wheel... ... ...
Then, I have another hunch: that you sit too close to the steering wheel. Compare your driving position with those shown in the car manuals, etc, and consider a revision.

And, best wishes to that rib. get well soon.

Last edited by aah78 : 18th November 2015 at 21:48. Reason: Quoted section has been edited.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th November 2015, 23:57   #19137
Team-BHP Support

Is your daughter safe?

Was she wearing a seatbelt? If she was not restrained there is a possibility that she hit your seat and pushed you into the steering wheel.

bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 04:08   #19138
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing the incident. I am sure you learnt a lesson but always listen to your daughter and family or anyone in the car. I believe they are messengers. I personally have a cut off which is when i feel sleepy even for a scond, even after a couple of cans of red bull, i simply pull over. Luckily have been following this all these years including in my motorcycle.

I have parked next to a dhaba and slept for 30 minutes on my bull just to get that deep sleep out of the head.

Dont hesitate to take a break. You will never regret this. This is a big escape and appreciate the second chance.
VW2010 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 11:03   #19139
Distinguished - BHPian

I found this Honda City (previous gen) ivtec in such a miserable condition at a fuel station on the NH45. I am guessing the speeds to be north of 120kmph as most people plying that region drive at those speeds casually as the roads are staight and flat! A second of missed attention can cause disasters. Hope all occpants got out safe, looking at the intact cabin and airbags deployed.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-wp_20151028_11_00_15_pro.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-wp_20151028_11_00_40_pro.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-wp_20151028_11_00_53_pro.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-wp_20151028_11_00_22_pro.jpg  

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 19th November 2015 at 11:06.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 11:06   #19140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
I found this Honda City (previous gen) ivtec in such a miserable condition at a fuel station on the NH45. I am guessing the speeds to be north of 120kmph as most people plying that region drive at those speeds casually as the roads are staight and flat! A second of missed attention can cause disasters. Hope all occpants got out safe, looking at the intact cabin and airbags deployed.

That looks bad. Looks like it has rolled over at good speeds. This seems like the BP bunk at Ulundurpet.

Most Viewed