Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2015, 08:27   #19156
BANNED

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Sharing these from a Friend's wall. Happened today morning at 1am near Rasta Café, Mysore Road.
Villagers say it hit the median and toppled 7-8 times.
Apparently, Driver is dead while 3 passengers are badly injured.
Yeah, I am only too familiar with such photos. My close friend was returning from Hosur side towards Bommasandra 2 months ago. It was around 3 am or so. The vehicle (a swift) smashed into a divider and then rolled over a couple of times.

Only my friend who was the driver was killed. The other two did not have even a scratch on them. I do not know if anyone was wearing seat belts. I don't think it would have made any difference if you saw the state of that vehicle.

I still remember that awful condition of the vehicle when all other friends and me went to the police station the next day.

The swift too was in a similar state as these verna photos. No engine, no front wheels and body damage on every square inch all around. I really don't know how the 2 co-passengers escaped injury or came out of the vehicle in the first place.

I don't want to post those photos. It wont help anyone.
hangover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2015, 09:01   #19157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangover View Post

I don't want to post those photos. It wont help anyone.
Sad to hear about your friend but I think you should post those pictures mate. If it inflicts fear and makes someone to be careful behind the wheel, that might save many lives.

Thanks
Anand
Old 20th November 2015, 10:05   #19158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
I was eye-witness to this accident!

I did not have heart to take pictures of the ghastly sight; just took a pic of the numberplate for reference. The car anyway is mangled beyond repair.

Attachment 1439641
That's decency and human values my friend. I hope everyone should have the sense of differentiating between capturing the moment and acknowledging the gravity of situation and that humans were hurt in it.
Message is always clear in such incidents, drive carefully and respect human life. Hoping the passengers didn't had serious injuries.

Regards
Harish
hrsraghav is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2015, 10:42   #19159
BHPian

Quote:

I & my friend decided to go on a leisure ride on Mysore road at midnight and come back before dawn.
This is the most dangerous time to be driving on a highway. We may be very much alert and awake,but the other person might not be . Most truck drivers are exhausted and drunk, lot of drivers will be driving at neck breaking speeds.We are putting our lives at risk.
Old 20th November 2015, 11:29   #19160
BHPian

Saw this happened yesterday, but couldn't see much due to the rush, figured out the incident today after seeing the article:

Napping trailer drive kills constable & crashes into 7 parked taxis
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20taxiaccident.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20truck.jpg

Quote:
32-year-old Gajendra Kumar Sukhdevsingh fell asleep at the wheel, and lost control of the vehicle. The trailer ran over Patil who was unable to get out of the way in time. After running over Patil, the trailer went on to crush seven taxis, parked alongside the road, two of which were completely damaged due to the impact, and the speed of the vehicle.
Source
Old 20th November 2015, 11:40   #19161
BHPian

My knowledge of physics tells me that bald and slick tires have better grip than tires with a lot of treads. It is plain simple rule - more area of contact means more sliding friction.

It is only on wet surfaces that make bald tires aquaplane and thus lose the grip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Looks as though the curve behind was taken at some high speeds and add to that the worn tires in the front. Must have over steered straight onto the divider. Just assuming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Scary situation to witness indeed. A combination or just any of these: balding tyres, bad brake pads, bad calipers, bad rotors and bad wheel bearings could cause a car with ABS to lock up its tyres.
Old 20th November 2015, 11:46   #19162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
My knowledge of physics tells me that bald and slick tires have better grip than tires with a lot of treads. It is plain simple rule - more area of contact means more sliding friction.

It is only on wet surfaces that make bald tires aquaplane and thus lose the grip.
Holds good, on a race track .

On a public road with all sorts of debris and muck, a bald tyre is no good.
Also a bald tyre is one that is worn its threads off, unlike a race tyre which is made for just one purpose-to grip.
So, the characters of both these are greatly different.
tharian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th November 2015, 11:52   #19163
BHPian

I believe that the treads on a tyre help release grip on a defined manner. Sliding friction is more efficient on a smooth surface like glass and may not be that efficient on a tar road or wet road. . Especially when tbe tyre is turned at a tangential when in a curve the treads are working overtime to control the arc. This is IMHO.
Old 20th November 2015, 11:53   #19164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
It is best to keep a max speed of 80 on NH in the dark.
There are enough morons roaming on the NH driving haphazardly (be it cars, trucks or even bikes), loads of tractors carry load and many diversions, thereby making the speeding beyond 80 not worth the risk.
Couldn't agree more. Till few years back, I used to drive almost every weekend to my hometown 250 odd KM away and knew the stretch like the back of my hand. Even then, my instincts wouldn't allow me to cross 80-90 odd post sunset. And only I know how many dangerous situations were avoided thanks to me listening to my instinct. This despite having a reasonably equipped vehicle (3rd Gen City).

And it's extremely distressing to hear people equate better/expensive cars with high speeds. The refrain often heard is, I bought this 10L vehicle, it does 140 or 160 so easily. How the hell did the road conditions get changed just because you spent 10L
avisidhu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th November 2015, 12:23   #19165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
...On a public road with all sorts of debris and muck, a bald tyre is no good.
I think we have the analogy here itself.
If its not water (which leads to aquaplaning) but debris/dirt/etc, it leads to more wheel-spin with bald tires.
Grooves allow this debris to be displaced between them thus helping in better hold of treads on road.
Old 20th November 2015, 12:56   #19166
BHPian

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/49850931.cms

One of the Victim's-Ashwin used to be my In-laws neighbor in Hosur.His father used to work for Silk board,Bangalore and was transferred to Anantapur since 2014 .Have personally met him a couple of times in Hosur.He was a goofy and well pampered kid.Cant believe he is no more.RIP Ashwin .On the other hand nobody is to be blamed for the loss except for the victim himself.Driving under the influence of alcohol has no excuses!
Old 20th November 2015, 14:05   #19167
BHPian

Not everyone buys the version with ABS. How old was this Verna?

Quote:

A question to Verna owners: From the screeching noise I heard, the car tires seemed to have locked under hard braking. Doesn't Verna come with ABS?

Attachment 1439640

Attachment 1439641
Old 20th November 2015, 14:51   #19168
BHPian

Saw an accident on Fergusson college road (FC road) late yesterday evening. We were standing outside Wadeshwar after enjoying rassam wada when BAM!

We saw two 2-wheelers collide head on, both were fairly fast. Both fell down, one of the riders took 3 rolls to come to a stop. He was wearing a helmet but it came off due to the impact. Dont know if the strap was not put on or it broke. Fortunately he was only shocked but no major injuries.

The other rider (who was to blame for driving on the wrong side) sustained no injuries and he was taken to task by the public. Both the riders made their way after 10-15 mins.

No idea how the accident happened - I mean FC road is a pretty wide road and it is a one way. The accident occurred on the edge of the road. Anyway this does not in any way justify the wrong side driving.
Old 20th November 2015, 14:59   #19169
BHPian

This happened to my brand new Punto Evo a few months back. Some idiot who was learning to drive with all the family members, no seatbelts and no learning license just rammed into my parked car at Moti Bagh CCD parking. Though she's all back to shape now.

The issue was solved in a couple of minutes but it still aches to see these pictures.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1448011595898.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 20th November 2015 at 21:19. Reason: Post edited for grammar & spell-check.
Old 20th November 2015, 15:15   #19170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by proxax View Post
Not everyone buys the version with ABS. How old was this Verna?
I think this verna is 1.6 crdi sx version which comes with ABS.

Most Viewed