Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2015, 15:31   #19471
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
Continuing your bridge example, we have seen that whenever the No. of suicides increase from some high bridges or other buildings, some precautionary measures are deployed to control the incidents without blaming the buildings or bridges. Similarly speed warnings are put on various roads.

I don't want to debate whether humans and their instincts can be controlled or not but from my personal observation I strongly believe that if speed is controlled 90%+ accidents can be avoided or if not accidents, 90%+ fatalities can be avoided. Period!
I'll try to be provide a simpler example as to why speed is not the culprit. By itself. Because firstly, speed is in our control. We are not in the speeds control. We set the speed and not the other way. So the accident results when we misjudge our capability of maintaining a certain speed at given point of time, we misjudge all other things like road/traffic/pedestrian/number of idiots on the road and numerous other factors, and the liability occurs.

Say supposing we give a normal Indian rider like most of us, for example, a race spec bike and have another professional racer the exact same bike and then tell them to have a go at the TT circuit maintaining speeds above 250kph. Now even if he normal rider manages 250-ish speeds, guess who is going to die and why. Mind you, the speeds are the same.

Hope the explanation was good enough. I tried....
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2015, 15:42   #19472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
I don't want to debate whether humans and their instincts can be controlled or not but from my personal observation I strongly believe that if speed is controlled 90%+ accidents can be avoided or if not accidents, 90%+ fatalities can be avoided. Period!
Speed recommendations and warnings are all fine but speed limits based on the fact that poorly trained fools can't drive, is simply a nuisance. First take proper driving tests for a license, enforce lane discipline, then think about such stuff. By your logic, even I strongly believe that 90%+ fatalities can be avoided if only folks with proper training are allowed to drive cars, or better still if no one is allowed to drive cars or even better still, if we all just use augmented reality and skype and stay indoors; that way everyone would be safe no?
Old 25th December 2015, 16:25   #19473
Senior - BHPian

I think I should clarify a little more, by controlling speed not only I am referring to controlling of speed by external agencies (Govt, by way of signboards) but also by the drivers themselves.
To put it simply, a driver (whether properly trained or not) if driving at 80-90 kmph will have better control rather than driving at 100-120 kmph.

The main and only ingredient in safe and good driving is 'Anticipation' and we do have a beautiful thread discussing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Speed recommendations and warnings are all fine but speed limits based on the fact that poorly trained fools can't drive, is simply a nuisance.
carwatcher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2015, 20:03   #19474
BHPian

Pics from FB of two accidents on same day at Ahmedabad's SG Highway near Kargill petrol pump. This one involves a new Ford Figo which rammed into a container from behind and claimed lives of two teenagers who were the only children of their parents, returning from a friends birthday party.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc2.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-dsc3.jpg

Looking at the pictures frontal crash impact seems to be severe, links to articles here (in Gujarati)

http://www.gujaratsamachar.com/index...ol-pump-3-dead

http://gujarati.news18.com/news/ahme...ve-492809.html

Last edited by Aditya : 26th December 2015 at 07:19. Reason: Image too graphic for public consmption
KreativeGeek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2015, 22:42   #19475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KreativeGeek View Post
Pics from FB of two accidents on same day at Ahmedabad's SG Highway near Kargill petrol pump. This one involves a new Ford Figo which rammed into a container from behind and claimed lives of two teenagers who were the only children of their parents, returning from a friends birthday party.

Attachment 1453279
Attachment 1453280
Attachment 1453281

Looking at the pictures frontal crash impact seems to be severe, links to articles here (in Gujarati)

Sad thing. :( I also live in Ahmedabad.
Seems like airbags didn't deploy.
There are many youngsters here who indulge in rash and unsafe driving.
Old 26th December 2015, 00:42   #19476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iss1307 View Post
Sad thing. :( I also live in Ahmedabad.
Seems like airbags didn't deploy.
There are many youngsters here who indulge in rash and unsafe driving.
Looking at the steel rims, it seems to be a lower varient. It might be possible that this car was not equipped with airbags. Since the car rammed into a container, airbags could have been proved to be a life saver for them.

May their souls rest in peace.

These pictures witness what my father always says, ''to always keep a safe distance between vehicles, especially at higher speeds. '' In case of panic braking if there is a safe distance between the vehicles then situations could be completely different and under control. We must not forget prevention is always better than cure.
Old 26th December 2015, 00:44   #19477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aakarsh View Post
Looking at the steel rims, it seems to be a lower varient. It might be possible that this car was not equipped with airbags. Since the car rammed into a container, airbags could have been proved to be a life saver for them.

May their souls rest in peace.

These pictures witness what my father always says, ''to always keep a safe distance between vehicles, especially at higher speeds. '' In case of panic braking if there is a safe distance between the vehicles then situations could be completely different and under control. We must not forget prevention is always better than cure.
Saw that bro.
But Figo has atleast 1 airbag as standard across all variants.
Old 26th December 2015, 00:57   #19478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iss1307 View Post
Saw that bro.
But Figo has atleast 1 airbag as standard across all variants.
In that case Ford is liable to clarify the reason why airbag(s) didn't deploy.
The impact was more than enough (prima facie from the pictures) for the airbag sensors to activate the inflation and deployment of airbag(s).

Number of instances where airbags didn't deploy is increasing rapidly in the very thread.
Old 26th December 2015, 08:00   #19479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
I don't know whether it has been shared before or not. i10 accident, careless driving, basically. watch @ 1:18.
I believe the XUV was also going at the same speed. If it makes the I10 careless what does it tell about the XUV?
IMO the fault was by the Indica. You can see the car cut across the fast lane to take the cut and stop in the fast lane waiting for the other lane to clear. Since the I10 was so close to the other car even 60kmph there would have been a crash

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 26th December 2015 at 08:38. Reason: Removing video from the quoted post.
Old 26th December 2015, 09:40   #19480
Team-BHP Support

Since the passenger cell is intact, my guess is that the two had a chance of survival if they had worn seatbelts. I could be wrong
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2015, 09:51   #19481
BHPian

It looks like the passengers were not wearing seat belts. Though the impact is severe, passenger shell is still relatively intact and intrusion into the cabin is not very high. The airbags not deploying may be explained by lack of seat belts.
Old 26th December 2015, 09:54   #19482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
I believe the XUV was also going at the same speed. If it makes the I10 careless what does it tell about the XUV?
IMO the fault was by the Indica. You can see the car cut across the fast lane to take the cut and stop in the fast lane waiting for the other lane to clear. Since the I10 was so close to the other car even 60kmph there would have been a crash
XUV guy is also taking a lot of risk by doing that speed on those roads.

See the problem here is that if your mind is involved in these stupid races, you tend to take more risk to make sure that you stays ahead. Has the i10 driver been following defensive driving, he would have slowed down even more on seeing a potential danger (Indica about to join the road).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Since the passenger cell is intact, my guess is that the two had a chance of survival if they had worn seatbelts. I could be wrong
The people inside the i10 were okay, that's what the uploader has commented there.

Last edited by ecenandu : 26th December 2015 at 09:56.
Old 26th December 2015, 10:29   #19483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaktisarangi View Post
It looks like the passengers were not wearing seat belts.
How did you deduce that?
I couldn't, after seeing that video, maybe I missed something.

EDIT: You were talking about Aspire/Figo? crash. I got confused, sorry.

Last edited by ecenandu : 26th December 2015 at 10:42.
Old 26th December 2015, 11:30   #19484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KreativeGeek View Post

Passenger cabin looks intact for fatalities, may be the lack of seat belt and internal head injuries led to fatality.

But its sad that even after so least (almost nothing) intrusion to cabin, they lost their lives.

Last edited by petrol_power : 26th December 2015 at 11:32.
Old 26th December 2015, 14:12   #19485
Senior - BHPian

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1451119101.900500.jpg

This activa caught fire suddenly, Could see the owner stand helplessly.

Most Viewed