Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2015, 16:48   #19516
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Hypothetical scenario --> ABS would have given the confidence to the driver to brake.

Real world scenario --> Out of sheer instinct, the driver steered away from the obstacle and did not touch the brakes, ABS or no ABS.

My reasoning is on the real world scenario and hence the question. Cheers!
Informed drivers who know how to drive a car with ABS can escape but one who has ABS but don't know how to use it, we can't really help.
Old 28th December 2015, 19:24   #19517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Is it merely body panel and suspension damage or is there more to it, any info on whether it can be fixed and how much it will cost?
I assume its only panel damage, but maybe the car frame rod at the end is bent a little. Suspension seemed perfect because I drove back after changing the tyre. There was no difference in driveability.

Car has gone to the body workshop and now waiting for the estimate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Guess it's a car without ABS.
Yes. No ABS. But I don't it would have helped here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Do you have zero depreciation insurance? Since it is a fairly new car, I am assuming that insurance would cover most of the cost, even if there is no zero depreciation coverage though. Keep us posted!!!
I do have zero dep insurance will most add-ons like engine protector, windshield cover, spare car, etc. 2 things I missed were NCB protection and life tax cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Real world scenario --> Out of sheer instinct, the driver steered away from the obstacle and did not touch the brakes, ABS or no ABS.
From what I can recollect - Yes. Steered away from the dog - no brakes. Saw the pole - steered away and hit the brakes.

I still wonder what happened to the tyre.
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2015, 19:33   #19518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
From what I can recollect - Yes. Steered away from the dog - no brakes. Saw the pole - steered away and hit the brakes.

I still wonder what happened to the tyre.
I believe your front right tyre might have hit the pole or another object (stone etc) & it might have got damaged. Another rare possibility (which cannot be ruled out), wheels locked on hard braking, tyres skidded and due to the hard rubbing of the tyre against the road on one spot, the rubber might have just given way and caused a cut.

Also it seems, the front being disc brakes and rear being drum, the front of the car came to an abrupt halt, whereas the rear of the car carried the momentum and "fishtailed", resulting in the boot banging against the pole and the severe damage.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2015, 19:42   #19519
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I do have zero dep insurance will most add-ons like engine protector, windshield cover, spare car, etc. 2 things I missed were NCB protection and life tax cover.
Glad you have the zero dep cover. Your car should be back in shape soon
kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2015, 21:07   #19520
BHPian

EBD would have definitely helped.
iss1307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2015, 22:55   #19521
Senior - BHPian

I believe when I am driving, my first priority in terms of safety is the occupants of my car. My choice would be dictated by whichever option maximises safety of my car's occupants.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2015, 00:01   #19522
BHPian

MODS, please check the link for page 1297 it is showing an image of a ship ' Investigator' rather than the page. Regards
Old 29th December 2015, 00:51   #19523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
I believe your front right tyre might have hit the pole or another object (stone etc) & it might have got damaged. Another rare possibility (which cannot be ruled out), wheels locked on hard braking, tyres skidded and due to the hard rubbing of the tyre against the road on one spot, the rubber might have just given way and caused a cut.

Also it seems, the front being disc brakes and rear being drum, the front of the car came to an abrupt halt, whereas the rear of the car carried the momentum and "fishtailed", resulting in the boot banging against the pole and the severe damage.
Surprisingly there was no rubber on the road, just the rim scraping along the road. Before the impact the car was on mud and dry grass, but after hitting the pole the car was on the road. So why is there no rubber residue left while skidding - does it have anything to do with tyre quality?

Here are some more pictures - hope somebody can recreate the scenario from it.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-3.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-4.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-5.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-tyre.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 29th December 2015 at 07:13. Reason: Correcting image orientation
Old 29th December 2015, 01:07   #19524
BHPian

Quote:
This is my car now. Happened last night at 1 am on a narrow road. A dog suddenly darted in from the left. Swerved right to avoid it and then had to immediately turn left to avoid hitting a light pole head-on. Managed that, but the back right of the car hit the pole, the car turned 180 clockwise and came to rest after hitting a second pole on the front passenger door. My wife and me were both wearing seat belts and my son was sleeping in the back. No injuries to us in the front, but my son got a couple of scratches from the shattered back windshield glass and a bump on the forehead - probably from hitting the door when the car spun.
It is high time something is done to address the menace of stray dogs and animals on our roads. It is literally a matter of life and death as this incident demonstrates, but no one in the country is concerned about this. Stray dogs run free and people happily leave their animals to wander on the roads. Many accidents are caused by this and due attention needs to be paid to this peril.

I am glad all of you escaped without injury. I was a passenger in car where the driver was driving very cautiously at around 50 kmph on a rural highway and a large dog darted in front. The driver couldn't react in time and hit the animal. Immense damage was caused to the car with the bumper, front wheel and the underside taking the hit. We couldn't locate the dog as it was dark and we hoped it had somehow survived and run away.

Last edited by Aditya : 30th December 2015 at 07:28. Reason: Typos
Old 29th December 2015, 01:35   #19525
BHPian

As I mentioned in the Aspire thread,my best wishes with you and your family Sam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Informed drivers who know how to drive a car with ABS can escape but one who has ABS but don't know how to use it, we can't really help.
I agree.I wonder if we,who have never driven cars with ABS before,have the necessary skills to fully reap the benefits it gives.Emergency evasive maneuvers are reflex based,and until and unless you have trained yourself a few times in controlled situations doing such maneuvers,I wonder if knowing tons of 'theory' or 'informations' will do anything good when you face the actual scenario.Because as per my limited knowledge reflex actions do not really depend on the judgement centers of the cerebral cortex,and reflex only develops when you have developed a muscle memory trained to act in a particular way.That is one of the reasons why racers/pilots etc train in simulators.My other cars are all decade old,and not ABS equipped.This time I have picked the Aspire TDCi Titanium+ with ABS,but I have no idea what it will feel when it kicks in,god forbid, during some dire emergency.It will be so good if some manufactures come up with some advanced level driving courses where we can pay and learn what to expect from such electronic wizardry like ABS,EBD,ESP,etc.But till the time we have such options,is there an alternative path to acquaint ourselves with all these?Maybe experienced members like you can give their valuable inputs.
dragonov007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2015, 05:57   #19526
BHPian

Accidents in India with Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
The rule of thumb is being able to see the number plate of the car in front of you. .

That's assuming the number plate is on the lowest point on the rear bumper. This fails when the number plate is on the boot.

You should be able to see the rear wheels of the car in front of you. Though the gap you leave is inviting to 2-3 wheelers, it's good to follow this in a city like Bangalore/unknown terrain, because you get to see the road and avoid crashing into craters like the taxi/car in front did.

Last edited by carrerastrax : 29th December 2015 at 06:02.
Old 29th December 2015, 07:33   #19527
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonov007 View Post
I agree.I wonder if we,who have never driven cars with ABS before,have the necessary skills to fully reap the benefits it gives.Emergency evasive maneuvers are reflex based,and until and unless you have trained yourself a few times in controlled situations doing such maneuvers,I wonder if knowing tons of 'theory' or 'informations' will do anything good when you face the actual scenario.Because as per my limited knowledge reflex actions do not really depend on the judgement centers of the cerebral cortex,and reflex only develops when you have developed a muscle memory trained to act in a particular way.That is one of the reasons why racers/pilots etc train in simulators.My other cars are all decade old,and not ABS equipped.This time I have picked the Aspire TDCi Titanium+ with ABS,but I have no idea what it will feel when it kicks in,god forbid, during some dire emergency.It will be so good if some manufactures come up with some advanced level driving courses where we can pay and learn what to expect from such electronic wizardry like ABS,EBD,ESP,etc.But till the time we have such options,is there an alternative path to acquaint ourselves with all these?Maybe experienced members like you can give their valuable inputs.
No worries! We already have,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...10-onward.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...d-october.html

Ask your Ford Dealer to keep you informed if the session is planned in your city. 9/10 Sales reps wouldn't have heard about it, so talk to some senior person
kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2015, 08:55   #19528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Edit: A video on ESC from the Polo GT TSI Review. I assume this would have been the maneuver samaspire was forced to do. In a way lucky that it happened on a deserted narrow road. Could have been catastrophic on a busy highway
I think it happened exactly like the red car in the second half of the video. Only difference being that the front wheel deflated before the car spun.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 6th February 2019 at 12:57. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
Old 29th December 2015, 09:17   #19529
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is my car now. Happened last night at 1 am on a narrow road. A dog suddenly darted in from the left. Swerved right to avoid it and then had to immediately turn left to avoid hitting a light pole head-on. Managed that, but the back right of the car hit the pole, the car turned 180 clockwise and came to rest after hitting a second pole on the front passenger door.
Sad to see the state of your new car. Glad nobody was hurt.

You should never swerve to avoid a dog or any animal. I know it is a natural instinct, but it is not a recommended action. In first world countries, it is mentioned clearly in the driver's manual. Unfortunately in India there is no driver's manual, so nobody really learns this before they get on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ driver's manual
Naturally, do everything possible to avoid hitting a small animal. However, in traffic, do not swerve from the lane to avoid hitting an animal. There is a better chance of surviving impact with an animal than impact with a vehicle.
Since we have no formal driver manuals, every action becomes a matter of debate. Link to a related debate.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2015, 09:57   #19530
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Sad to see the state of your new car. Glad nobody was hurt.

You should never swerve to avoid a dog or any animal. I know it is a natural instinct, but it is not a recommended action. In first world countries, it is mentioned clearly in the driver's manual. Unfortunately in India there is no driver's manual, so nobody really learns this before they get on the road.
. It was instinct kicking in. I do not remember everything clearly, but probably swerved seeing no oncoming traffic.
It was the Ambagilu - Manipal road at 1 am. You can imagine how deserted it was. Luckily I had a relatives house nearby who I could call to help.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks