Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2016, 09:47   #19561
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Found this gif shared by my friend via facebook.

This is how you will be ejected out of the car incase of not wearing seatbelt.
Here is a real time example,
arun_josie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2016, 11:28   #19562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
I wish to share my accident experience in Maruti SX4 last year

Attaching pics for reference
How many Kms had your car clocked then ? I ask because the tyres do not seem to have a lot of tread remaining on them. Or it could be the picture and the fact that some of the loose mud is still stuck on the tyres.

Panic braking + Bald Tyres = Recipe for Disaster
GJ01 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2016, 13:52   #19563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Here is a real time example,

Oh man! That is just a horrifying scenario to behold. Speechless :(
Old 1st January 2016, 14:20   #19564
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ01 View Post
How many Kms had your car clocked then ? I ask because the tyres do not seem to have a lot of tread remaining on them. Or it could be the picture and the fact that some of the loose mud is still stuck on the tyres.

Panic braking + Bald Tyres = Recipe for Disaster
My car had clocked 72500 km and front tyres were relatively new (9k run). Both front tyres were damaged post accident. Current odo is 95k kms and SX4 is my daily drive.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 1st January 2016 at 17:11. Reason: Corrected odo reading. :)
Old 1st January 2016, 14:38   #19565
BHPian

I was driving on Delhi-Lucknow highway. Near Garhmukteshwar, this gentle man braked to save a pedestrian and the UP state transport bus running right behind this car rammed into it.

After crossing Muradabad, saw this tractor who had lost control and toppled sideways.

Fortunately, nobody was injured in either of the accidents.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1451638871474.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1451638895716.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1451638926823.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1451639142222.jpg  

cruising_rapid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2016, 16:18   #19566
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
80 kmph is not the issue. I had no time to judge and it happened within a second. I lost control on a corner and hit a huge pile of rocks before I braked. My eyes were burning due to smoke and chemicals of airbag deployment. I had a compression fracture of my lumbar vertebra and was on bed for a month.
I was thinking of the speed itself, rather than your specific accident, but I am very glad to know that you have recovered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Let me tell you, as impact speeds go, 80km/h is definitely on the higher side mate. Most folks tend to exaggerate their claimed speeds because while in an accident no one actually bothers to stay calm and watch how much speed they shed before impact.
Sure. My last serious accident was at 80kph. I know, because I had adjusted my speed to the limit, was was 50MPH on that British road. Another driver went to cross in front, but he had a problem and stalled, literally straight in front of me. I don't know, but I think I probably had more time braking than Dr.Naren did. I had time to try to steer and realise that I couldn't as the car was skidding in a straight line (no ABS). My impact speed would have been much less that 50MPH, but I have no idea how much less. Anyway, I suffered no injury. With less braking time... who knows, I might not have been so lucky.
Old 1st January 2016, 16:50   #19567
BHPian

Quote:
My car had clocked 725000 kms and front tyres were relatively new (9k run). Both front tyres were damaged post accident. Current odo is 95k kms and SX4 is my daily drive.
I guess you meant 72500.

Thank god you survived the accident.
Old 1st January 2016, 16:59   #19568
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnvvishwa View Post
I guess you meant 72500.

Thank god you survived the accident.
My bad! Yes it's 72500 kms. I thought I escaped with nil injuries. But I had to wake up with back pain next day morning. Headlamps, crumple zone,radiator, intercooler, drive shaft, lower control arm, suspension struts, anti roll bar, etc were broken.
Old 1st January 2016, 17:20   #19569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wish to share my accident experience in Maruti SX4 last year
I lost control ( thanks to oil on road) and crashed into pile of construction stones at speed of around 80 kmph.
Car took all the impact,airbags deployed and seatbelts did save my life( Impact did manage to fracture my spine)

Maruti cars are known for poor built,but sx4 is really an exception.
It took 2 months for repair and bill came up to 4 lakhs. I had to pay 1.3 lakhs from pocket

Attaching pics for reference
Sorry to hear about your accident Dr. Naren. Glad that you recovered. Wish you lakhs of miles of safe driving.

I too own an SX4 and it is really a good car for space, seating comfort and road view. Was there any damage to the engine and transmission? Rs. 4 lakhs sounded more to me.

Where did the accident occur?
Old 1st January 2016, 18:27   #19570
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Sorry to hear about your accident Dr. Naren. Glad that you recovered. Wish you lakhs of miles of safe driving.

I too own an SX4 and it is really a good car for space, seating comfort and road view. Was there any damage to the engine and transmission? Rs. 4 lakhs sounded more to me.

Where did the accident occur?
Accident occurred in Mangalore, Karnataka.Initially I was told car is total loss since engine is damaged. Later after thorough inspection it was found that engine escaped the damage by just 2 inches. It costed around 50 K for airbags, 25 K for seatbelts with pre tensioner. Also entire wiring harness was changed which was around 50k.Bill was around 12 pages with more than 400 items.
Dr.Naren is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2016, 21:08   #19571
Senior - BHPian

The body structural integrity would be more or less gone I guess? You'd have been better off declaring it a total loss. I am not sure even after those repairs the car would be safe to drive.

My sympathies - that sounds like it was a horrendous accident.
Old 1st January 2016, 21:24   #19572
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
The body structural integrity would be more or less gone I guess? You'd have been better off declaring it a total loss. I am not sure even after those repairs the car would be safe to drive.

My sympathies - that sounds like it was a horrendous accident.
I too had doubts about the structural integrity post repairs. I have driven more than 20k kms and wheel alignment is perfect (would never be perfect if chasis alignment is disturbed). SX4 weighs 1245 kgs and one of the well built Maruti. There is a machine called car o liner in MASS which gets chasis alignment right for accident vehicles. Crumples zones took the impact and there was no chasis twist or damage post right front fender.
Going for total loss would have been profitable for me. But it was not possible for me to dispose My Sx4-My beast!!
Dr.Naren is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 1st January 2016, 21:54   #19573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I too had doubts about the structural integrity post repairs. I have driven more than 20k kms and wheel alignment is perfect (would never be perfect if chasis alignment is disturbed). SX4 weighs 1245 kgs and one of the well built Maruti. There is a machine called car o liner in MASS which gets chasis alignment right for accident vehicles. Crumples zones took the impact and there was no chasis twist or damage post right front fender.
Going for total loss would have been profitable for me. But it was not possible for me to dispose My Sx4-My beast!!
Such a car is a keeper all right. They pulled it from the production line in 2014 to make way for the Ciaz - which is a pity.

I assume your insurance would have covered most of the ~ 1.5 lakh repair costs? (towing / incidentals of transporting the vehicle back to your location etc added on). How much was the actual damage to your wallet beyond say the copay mentioned in your insurance plan?
Old 1st January 2016, 22:52   #19574
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Such a car is a keeper all right. They pulled it from the production line in 2014 to make way for the Ciaz - which is a pity.

I assume your insurance would have covered most of the ~ 1.5 lakh repair costs? (towing / incidentals of transporting the vehicle back to your location etc added on). How much was the actual damage to your wallet beyond say the copay mentioned in your insurance plan?
Total bill was 3.96 lakhs. I got the repairs done in mangalore itself, I stay in kasaragod, kerala (just 45 minutes drive from mangalore). I had to put 1.33 lakhs from pocket since I had no zero depreciation insurance
Dr.Naren is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2016, 23:06   #19575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As a proud owner of SX4, I totally agree with your feeling. It is indeed hard to dispose this car.

Secondly, if the car is capable to be repaired, disposing it off would not have been good for the community (pool of car owners is paying for this through their premium) and for the environment. So, you have acted in a socially responsible manner too.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed