Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2016, 21:20   #19981
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
I wonder how the i20 driver airbag deployed without seatbelts and the passenger airbag didn't.
I have limited knowledge about the conditions required for air bag deployment on cars from this segment. I have not seen a passenger seat occupancy sensor on all cars.

A lot of folks run the seat belt just to silence the alarm. They are not secured by the seat belt though. They think that doing so is a smart way to get past the cops.

Current specifications suggest that all variants of the i20 come with Airbags which is . It is possible that this is a earlier release of the Elite i20 as the Tbhp review indicates dual airbags only for the Asta variant.

It is also possible that the passenger airbag was turned off.
Old 2nd March 2016, 22:11   #19982
BHPian

Quote:
I wonder how the i20 driver airbag deployed without seatbelts and the passenger airbag didn't.
1. Driver airbag deployed : Car in motion. There must be a person on the driver seat.
2. Passenger airbag not deployed : Passenger seat belt not buckled. There is no person on the passenger seat.

Simple design logic.
May be, the inventors of these safety features were not aware that in India people wear seat belt only when they see police checking.
Old 2nd March 2016, 22:17   #19983
BHPian

As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, an airbag for a particular seat deploys ONLY AND ONLY if the seat-belt of that seat is fastened. That's a fact with all/most cars. So that's that. Hope everyone is satisfied. It's amazing no-one is aware of this technicality!!
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2016, 22:24   #19984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
Woman dies after buses collide on ECR

Source: http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...?homepage=true
Got some photos of the quoted accident today via whatsapp, accident looks bad. Bus travel is becoming too dangerous.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20160302wa0007.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20160302wa0006.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20160302wa0005.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20160302wa0004.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20160302wa0003.jpg
Old 3rd March 2016, 00:27   #19985
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, an airbag for a particular seat deploys ONLY AND ONLY if the seat-belt of that seat is fastened. That's a fact with all/most cars. So that's that. Hope everyone is satisfied. It's amazing no-one is aware of this technicality!!
That, exactly, was my question.

It seems here that the airbags deployed and then the driver hit the windshield, which shouldn't have happened if he was wearing the seat-belt.

So, either what you and most of us believe is not true, OR this is a one off case where the airbags worked without the seat-belt.
Old 3rd March 2016, 01:15   #19986
BHPian

Probably the i20 driver had fastened the seatbelt but not on himself, just over the seat, to silence the seatbelt alarm/evade cops. That explains why his airbag deployed and he hit his head on the windshield.

Last edited by heavenlybull : 3rd March 2016 at 01:19.
heavenlybull is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 01:16   #19987
Team-BHP Support

There's another possibility. Some cars have a persistent audible chime for the seat-belt reminder, and people usually plug the belt into its receptacle to get around that. Einstein was right, stupidity is infinite.

Occupant idiocy aside, airbag deployment algorithms aren't usually straightforward and/or driven by a single variable. Involves complex calculations based on readings from multiple sensors, and makes for some interesting reading. Samples here and here.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 3rd March 2016 at 01:23.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 02:43   #19988
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Quote:
That, exactly, was my question.

It seems here that the airbags deployed and then the driver hit the windshield, which shouldn't have happened if he was wearing the seat-belt.

So, either what you and most of us believe is not true, OR this is a one off case where the airbags worked without the seat-belt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenlybull View Post
Probably the i20 driver had fastened the seatbelt but not on himself, just over the seat, to silence the seatbelt alarm/evade cops. That explains why his airbag deployed and he hit his head on the windshield.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
There's another possibility. Some cars have a persistent audible chime for the seat-belt reminder, and people usually plug the belt into its receptacle to get around that. Einstein was right, stupidity is infinite.

Occupant idiocy aside, airbag deployment algorithms aren't usually straightforward and/or driven by a single variable. Involves complex calculations based on readings from multiple sensors, and makes for some interesting reading. Samples here and here.
Not true about the seatbelts. This is a very common misunderstanding. Firstly, not all cars come with a weight sensor to detect whether or not there is a co-passenger in the seat and whether or not he/she is a fully grown adult. Secondly, airbags will deploy in most scenarios if their deployment parameters in terms of impact, are met. Since seatbelts are mandatory in Europe, airbags in a lot of European cars are designed to work best when you are wearing your seatbelt but cars designed for the American market or keeping their safety criteria in mind, are optimized to offer protection in both scenarios whether you wear your seatbelt or not since some states allow you to cruise on the highway without your seatbelt on. I have been in a couple of crashes in premium cars and airbags have deployed even in the case of some not wearing seatbelts and that is perfectly normal.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 3rd March 2016 at 02:48.
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 11:03   #19989
BHPian

Just got this in my Whats App Group

Rash driving claims braveheart's life:

A speeding Audi A4 driven negligently by a certain Sarabjeet Singh claimed the life of Nk Ram Swaroop Rajput of ASSAM Regiment at Delhi Cantt in the Capital yesterday. The brave soldier was crossing the road at the time of the accident.

According to eyewitnesses, Sarabjeet was driving the car at a very high speed and was unable to control the same. The impact was such that Nk Ram Swaroop Rajput was thrown in the air and sustained severe injuries due to which he succumbed later at the Base Hospital, Delhi Cantt where he battled for life for about 6 hours.

Nk Ram Swaroop Rajput had just returned to his unit after successful IS duties in the neighbouring state of Haryana where he was part of a force instrumental in restoring law and order in the riot affected areas of Panipat & Hissar.

The deceased soldier leaves behind his wife and a two year old daughter.

Update : Sarabjeet out on bail at 1700 hrs yesterday.

Last edited by nkghai : 3rd March 2016 at 11:30.
Old 3rd March 2016, 14:02   #19990
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Not true about the seatbelts. This is a very common misunderstanding........
Agreed, and I said as much. Seat belt status is only one variable in the airbag deployment algorithm (as illustrated in the samples I quoted), and is probably overridden when required.

One study quotes an example of multi-stage airbags where not being belted up could actually cause a more aggressive airbag deployment, while the same scenario with seat-belts on would cause a less aggressive deployment (or potentially none) based on the intensity of impact and other calculated parameters.

P.S. Lots of Indians plugging in the seat-belt to avoid the annoying reminder chime is fact though.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 3rd March 2016 at 14:13.
Old 3rd March 2016, 14:10   #19991
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The deceased soldier leaves behind his wife and a two year old daughter.

Update : Sarabjeet out on bail at 1700 hrs yesterday.
This explains how weak and disorganised our law in the country really is.

It ALMOST LIKE a Rich and influential person can walk free from any sort of crime on anyone.
Old 3rd March 2016, 18:12   #19992
CDM
BHPian

Sensationalism, which has become the bane of today, appears to be unfortunately catching up with this forum also. It feels sad when someone comes up with sweeping statements like:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
This explains how weak and disorganised our law in the country really is.
OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
It ALMOST LIKE a Rich and influential person can walk free from any sort of crime on anyone.
without any understanding of either the law or the accident in question.

How does the driver's getting bail show that the law in our country is weak or disorganized? And the driver becomes an evil criminal just because he was driving an expensive car?

As far as this accident is concerned, the Times of India has reported that "Eyewitnesses have told the cops that Swaroop had tried to cross the road in a hurry when he was knocked down by a speeding, an Audi A4". The driver did not flee but called the cops himself and turned himself in. I am not saying that he is a model citizen but lets not cast him as some sort of evil criminal. He was involved in an accident and that's it.

As regards the grant of bail, the law is the same whether you are driving a Nano or an Audi. Such an offence in bailable. One must read the many posts in this very thread where bhpians have narrated accidents that occurred for no fault of theirs. What would they do if a motor accident was not bailable?

So lets hold our horses and not make sweeping statements.

CDM
CDM is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 19:19   #19993
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM View Post

As far as this accident is concerned, the Times of India has reported that "Eyewitnesses have told the cops that Swaroop had tried to cross the road in a hurry when he was knocked down by a speeding, an Audi A4".

So lets hold our horses and not make sweeping statements.

CDM
Agree with you CDM and I am sorry if I sounded a bit too stereotypical in my previous post, which I am far from.

I am not the one who just jumps into conclusion at first instance and neither do I expect people to believe my views. The reason I posted that statement is because there have been many recent instances where getting BAIL has almost become as easy as getting BHEL (puri) !!

Experts please correct me if I am wrong here but whether you are driving an Audi A4 or Nano, the bail penalty is determined by the severity of the accident/incident and not the price of the car. So, does that mean that one who can afford a luxury car will have to pay the same penalty as an owner of the cheapest car does. This just does not add to me personally, and IMO this parity in fine is a bit let off.

My comments on the previous post were inline with this:

Quote:

A speeding Audi A4 driven negligently by a certain Sarabjeet Singh claimed the life of Nk Ram Swaroop Rajput of ASSAM Regiment at Delhi Cantt in the Capital yesterday. The brave soldier was crossing the road at the time of the accident.

According to eyewitnesses, Sarabjeet was driving the car at a very high speed and was unable to control the same. The impact was such that Nk Ram Swaroop Rajput was thrown in the air and sustained severe injuries due to which he succumbed later at the Base Hospital, Delhi Cantt where he battled for life for about 6 hours.
We also have to consider the various iterations of the same report that comes through in media. I admit that I have not actually seen the news report/clip, but have only expressed my views from the first post about this incident by nkghai.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 3rd March 2016 at 19:25.
Vik0728 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 20:06   #19994
Senior - BHPian

"SPEEDING" is a highly funny and idiotic word, which is freely abused by each and everyone, from us, to victims, to media to cops

Sample this stupid use of SPEEDING:
Source:
Quote:
TNN | Dec 14, 2015, 03.28 AM IST
Nagpur: Walking along the railway track proved costly for three persons as two of them were crushed to death under the speeding Hazrat Nizamuddin Raigad Gondwana Express at Mehendibagh railway crossing on Sunday afternoon.
For heaven's sake, how can a train speed ? Doesn't it have set speed limits ? Now a train cannot suddenly cut down its speed to save the victims, can it ? So the locomotive driver gets charged under Speeding ! LOL

The speed limit on Outer Ring Road in Bangalore is 60kmph. I usually drive in that range. Now there are gazzilions of human-made cuts in the median for 2 wheelers and public to squeeze through, and is used very fruitfully. Now if someone comes in front of my car, at a speed of less than the prescribed limit of 60kmph and I ram into it, will I be charged under speeding ?

Infact sample this video captured on my dashcam. Would I have been charged for speeding if I had hit that crazy fellow ?

So coming back to the accident, lets be a bit mature and understanding and don't jump into directly criminalizing the bigger vehicle and give a free pass to the victim. My condolences to the victim, but then I hope there is a CCTV camera somewhere on the shops nearby so that the truth can be seen and the "bigger vehicle" is not simply made the criminal.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 22:12   #19995
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For heaven's sake, how can a train speed ? Doesn't it have set speed limits ? Now a train cannot suddenly cut down its speed to save the victims, can it ? So the locomotive driver gets charged under Speeding ! LOL
I think you misunderstood. The way i read it is that the train was an express, running at high speed. There is no hidden meaning or direction to say the train was wrong.

A speeding train simply means the accident happened at high speed. But i may be wrong for thats how i read that statement.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks