Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2016, 20:12   #20161
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

School van / bus drivers and drivers of company buses / company contract vehicles are some of the worst drivers on the road. It boggles the mind that officials in charge of transport in these organizations don't have even basic screening / training procedures in place.

When I was doing some consulting for a company in Chennai in 2007, a cab arranged by them dropped me to Chennai airport. It was a nerve-wracking ride. I wrote to the transport manager the next day, saying I had ridden in cars since birth (my father had cars before I was born, and I'm not exactly a spring chicken), and I had never before been so terrified / nauseous before in a car. My instructions to slow down, respect rules and drive carefully only elicited a "yes sir" with no change in behavior. That cab & driver were sacked never to be hired back.

I partly blame passengers of these vehicles (not school kids obviously) for not speaking up.
TheTeacher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2016, 22:33   #20162
BHPian

One of the fears I have of driving on our roads is being hit by a flying object and got a glimpse of it the other day!

Luckily, damage was just the number plate.

500ContyCruiser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2016, 19:42   #20163
BHPian

Another sad accident near Aruyalur, jeyankondam in Tamilnadu where a private stage carrier collided with a livestock carrying mini Lorry causing deaths of 18 cows. Let the poor souls RIP.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1459692658.636245.jpg
We humans die because of our actions but it's heart wrenching to see these innocent animals die not by their actions but by us humans.
printh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2016, 23:52   #20164
BHPian

This accident happened in Pune when some mad driver hit 5 cars from the back.
Look at the brown car which is none other than India's lightest car - Renault Kwid
Again raising a concern in my mind
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1459707651880.jpg  

DriveOnceMore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2016, 00:57   #20165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ne of the fears I have of driving on our roads is being hit by a flying object and got a glimpse of it the other day!
More than the object, my fear is to make these multiple overtakes from different lanes like riding in a track. At that speed just crossing over multiple lanes makes no safe sense.

You have your own proof to see what can go wrong and drive safe.
Old 4th April 2016, 20:17   #20166
Distinguished - BHPian

Came across this truck which had caught fire while returning from Chennai to Bangalore over Easter weekend few KM's before Krishagiri

Not sure what caused the same, however when I crossed only cabin was on fire. Hence it should be due to any mechanical / short circuit issue and not due to the contents carried by the truck.

Called up toll booth helpline and they informed patrol vehicle was already enroute.

mpksuhas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 12:24   #20167

Another tragic accident resulting from driving under influence.

Quote:
Sarthak, grandfather Bhiku Kolekar (65), mother Shilpa (30) and grandmother Indu (58) - residents of sector 2 in Gorai- were crossing a road in Anand Nagar in Oshiwara while returning from a relative's birthday party around 10 pm when a speeding Volkswagen crashed into them.

The driver, Indrajit Nattoji, a 45-year-old resident of Yari Road in Andheri West, however, did not stop. He was chased down by locals and passersby on bikes and caught.

Source: http://www.ndtv.com/mumbai-news/mumb...bed-1338827?fb
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-assignmentnameinbrief_5e8e5ea0fa9611e5bced6695953481e2.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-mumbaiaccident_650x400_51459835606.jpg

Last edited by StringerBell : 5th April 2016 at 12:41. Reason: Added source
StringerBell is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 18:33   #20168
BHPian

Re: The Royal Enfield Himalayan Test-Ride Thread

An accident with scooter? This has a lot of people puzzled.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-hima2.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-hima3.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-himq1.jpg
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 18:37   #20169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer & Anvil View Post

Sorry, but what is puzzling in this? A motorcycle and scooter crashing against each other?
Viju is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 19:15   #20170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Sorry, but what is puzzling in this? A motorcycle and scooter crashing against each other?
Probably he is referring to the shearing off of the front fork/tube. Normally one would expect them to bend but not break.
arulpeem is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 19:23   #20171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
Probably he is referring to the shearing off of the front fork/tube. Normally one would expect them to bend but not break.
Depends on a lot of factors. This incident left the front fork shearing off of this Ducati as well; so one cannot generalize

It seems like the Himalayan crashed at a pretty high speed. That scooter did not fare too well either
Urban_Nomad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 19:26   #20172
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Sad to see this! Hope riders of both the bikes are safe.
A bit alarming is seeing both the downtube broken on the himalayan. TR no plate, was it a test ride bike?
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 21:44   #20173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Lol exactly I agree , by just posting pictures with no reference and a cryptic one liner don't mean jack . What exactly was the poster hoping to achieve or convey is lost...sensationalism maybe ? Let's stick to discussing the bike and keep this for the accidents in India thread ..
howler is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 21:58   #20174
BHPian

The accident details were not available when I posted the pics- and the reason for posting the pics is that all new owners will start posting their reviews within the coming days.
Without a dent on the rim- the breaking of BOTH the tubes,shows the shearing off, indicative of poor metallurgy and/or a poor miscalculation of what longer downtubes mean in terms of stress on the knuckle.
A few on FB were kind to put out a link that indicated to how the accident could have happened etc- that was post my post.
I am equally vocal about other brands when they are wrong and here is a picture of a HD Super Glide that hit a truck at a combined speed of 120. This is what happens on all bikes provided you cross a reasonable threshold of material strength- not a Duo. That Ducati was from Pune on the Lavasa road- and doing again in excess of 120- when the imbalance threw him off and the bike hit a culvert and broke.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-super-glide-120.jpg
This i assume is a thread on ownership and the poor quality that is reflected in this should be a part of this thread.
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 22:53   #20175
BHPian

In-campus-accident #2: This one happened inside our campus when the lady driving this micra (Yes, she's an infamous driver) crashed into a pole and hit a motorcyclist. The biker sustained few minor injuries.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_4080.jpg
Pferdestarke is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks