Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2009, 10:03   #2011
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadman View Post
I'm really scared now .. Look at this accident!

"The accident occurred as the one of the rear tyres of the car ruptured" "The car, which lost its velocity and balance, swerved to the roadside and hit a tree there before coming to a stop after tumbling into the field. The car was turned into a mound of mangled metal because of the impact." 4 died!

My neighbor had a similar incident on the way to chennai last year. He was doing around 80 in his estillo with his family and kids. When the rear tyre burst, he had a presence of mind to be steady on the brake and hold the steering wheel with both his hands to get the vehicle to a standstilll.

By the way, does TUBELESS tyres help in such a scenerio ?

Thanks
Old 3rd April 2009, 10:18   #2012
Team-BHP Support

I had a tubless tire blowout at 90kmph, luckily I did not lose control, and slowly moved towards the left side and stopped
Old 3rd April 2009, 11:14   #2013
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post

Thanks
My right back tyre busted once when I was doing 100+. It was a tubeless tyre and I havent lost control. Infact, I havent even realised it for a moment. Any expert advice please?
Old 3rd April 2009, 12:01   #2014
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRash View Post
My right back tyre busted once when I was doing 100+. It was a tubeless tyre and I havent lost control. Infact, I havent even realised it for a moment. Any expert advice please?
That is how it is supposed to be. Tubeless tyres will help you run at a lesser speed to the nearest place that you can get them fixed, rather than leave u stranded or cause an accident. But yes you will surely notice it!
Old 3rd April 2009, 12:08   #2015
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
That is how it is supposed to be. Tubeless tyres will help you run at a lesser speed to the nearest place that you can get them fixed, rather than leave u stranded or cause an accident. But yes you will surely notice it!
You are right; I had a puncture last sunday and did not realise it till it was brought to my notice by a guy on a 2 wheeler.
Old 3rd April 2009, 12:45   #2016
BHPian

I think overspeeding is the primary reason for most of the accidents. i also met with an accident because i could not handle my accent at 160 kms/hr and it just hit the divider and was completely ruined.Thankfully, i am still alive.
Old 3rd April 2009, 13:35   #2017
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Girl View Post
I think overspeeding is the primary reason for most of the accidents. i also met with an accident because i could not handle my accent at 160 kms/hr and it just hit the divider and was completely ruined.Thankfully, i am still alive.
160 would be as fast as an accent would go, I suppose. You are lucky to have survived a 160km/h crash!
Old 3rd April 2009, 14:01   #2018
Senior - BHPian

Bursting tyres is one of the biggest horror stories of things that can go wrong when you are cruising on a highway.

I guess, using tubeless tyres will help you minimize such incidents (as they seldom burst at high speeds) could be exceptions though.
Old 3rd April 2009, 14:02   #2019
BHPian

I had a long trip of over 400 kms on a punctured rear tubeless tyre, and managed 120+ kmph with less air, though I had to fill air 3 times by the time I got back home, no issues at all, I'd say unless yours tyres burst, tubeless tyres can run with a puncture for over 100 km's atleast at moderate speeds. The tyres in question were Yokohama S Drives.
Old 3rd April 2009, 19:38   #2020
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Girl View Post
Really lucky, u Giri. Please do share that experience in our forums as we do not live till we learn all for our own mistakes
Old 3rd April 2009, 19:51   #2021
Senior - BHPian

thats scary.what speed was it doing ? look at that B pillar (if it still can be called that) !!!

rev
Old 3rd April 2009, 20:41   #2022
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
Dear All

Please find attached herewith the news published in the Lokmat (Daily Marathi Newspaper), ]Akola on 18th March 2009 .

Below are the details of the news. While the accident was unfortunate, it underlines the inherent robusstness and safety of Tata vehicles and especially of Indica.
The family was traveling in a hired Indica Car MH 30 PA 1270 from Akola to Amaravati, at high speed. The car went out of control in traffic, rolled over, and finally crashed under a goods carrier tipper (MH 30 B 2921) near Dr. Panjabrao Krishi Vidyapeeth, Akola .
The passengers in the car were from a family of Mr. Omprakash Zunzunwala, the owner of Prakash Studio at Akola . The other family members in the Indica included, two daughters, two grandsons- 2 and 5 years old and his son-in-law Mr. Alok Agarwal. They were returning from a family function from Akola to Amaravati.
All the family members escaped relatively unhurt from this terrible accident. All the members came out of the car’s broken glasses.The people at the scene were not been expecting that the travellers could come out of the crushed car unhurt.
The Civil Line Police took the car driver Raju Wankhede and Tipper driver Mahadev Vakade in to custody for legal proceedings
Really admire the Tata Indica's robust build quality. I hope this safety quotient will impress us all for we often label Tata cars as unreliable and so on.If without ABS and airbags which no Tata car costing below a price tag of Rs 10 L has, the occupants can escape unhurt its a miracle and a tribute to the carmakers ability to make solid cars!
As I had once very recently written in the "Letters" section of Autocar India narrating about my experience on the NH 6 near Amravati in 1996.A white Tata Sumo had collided with a new red Peugeot 309 . The Peugeot's engine bay was smashed. And here's what was happened to the Sumo-its black,crude bull bar was bent and the bumper was a bit dented. The grille was damaged within repairable limits.
And lo and behold! The 309 was designed in some great European design studio, surely with crash test dummies on board, for safety tests and crumple zone mapping. And the Sumo - we all know about its genes and where it was designed and later made!Thats Tata for us all !
Old 4th April 2009, 08:17   #2023
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Yes, they are helpful. There wont be sudden loss of control as the tyre will deflate not as rapidly as tubed type one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Really admire the Tata Indica's robust build quality. I hope this safety quotient will impress us all for we often label Tata cars as unreliable and so on.If without ABS and airbags which no Tata car costing below a price tag of Rs 10 L has, the occupants can escape unhurt its a miracle and a tribute to the carmakers ability to make solid cars!
As I had once very recently written in the "Letters" section of Autocar India narrating about my experience on the NH 6 near Amravati in 1996.A white Tata Sumo had collided with a new red Peugeot 309 . The Peugeot's engine bay was smashed. And here's what was happened to the Sumo-its black,crude bull bar was bent and the bumper was a bit dented. The grille was damaged within repairable limits.
And lo and behold! The 309 was designed in some great European design studio, surely with crash test dummies on board, for safety tests and crumple zone mapping. And the Sumo - we all know about its genes and where it was designed and later made!Thats Tata for us all !
I think rather than taking pride in such vehicles, we must feel sorry for such vehicles. The vehicles without crumple zones transfer all the energy of impact to the passenger inside the cabin. These vehicles must be not be allowed to ply on the road.
Peugeot 309 was a European vehicles that was relatively well received all around the world. The fact that it has those energy absorbing bodyshell must have been of a great help to save lives.

If we consider sumo as a great strong car, then by similar standards, the Indian trucks are the best in business as far as safety goes. You ram into any other road worthy vehicle and truck will survive.
I believe that atleast the SUVs in India must have energy absorbing body shells and not rigid body shells.
Old 5th April 2009, 13:11   #2024
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadman View Post
I'm really scared now .. Look at this accident!

"The accident occurred as the one of the rear tyres of the car ruptured" "The car, which lost its velocity and balance, swerved to the roadside and hit a tree there before coming to a stop after tumbling into the field. The car was turned into a mound of mangled metal because of the impact." 4 died!
May their souls RIP, It just happened to be that this family was returning after finalizing their daughter's marriage proposal. She was to be engaged sometime later this month. This family was known to my parents and they have been really disturbed after this incident.
Old 5th April 2009, 19:27   #2025
BHPian

Yesterday I was driving down to Vijaywada from Hyderabad in the morning. At 125 km, just a few km before Suryapet I noticed a few trucks standing in the road. Obviously there was a road block. There was no vehicle coming from the opposite direction. I decided to drive on to reach the front. Just as I was nearing the the front and was wondering as to how to make a truck driver to give me some space to squeeze to the left an amblulance pulled up behind me with its lights flashing and siren blaring. I was in a quandry. I was blocking its way. I couldn't give way as there was a line of trucks on my left and the road dropped to five feet or so to the field on my right. I was feeling enormoulsy guilty and praying if one truck driver could move a bit.

Luckily one driver started his vehile and turned left, almost 40 degrees, to give me way. I squeezed through the gap and let the ambulance proceed. There were 5 vehicles in front of me. Within minutes they started inching forward. That's when I saw the dreadful sight. A tata ace was lying on its side facing me. It was loaded with aluminium ladders. There was this truck, again facing me, but off the road on the right, sitting in a kneeling positon, its front axle missing. As I was passing close to the overturned tata ace I noticed its front had been completely smashed up.

Then I saw the most gruesome sight. The body of its driver was haning out of the smashed vehicle. There was nothing above his shoulder. His head had been pulverized and only some hair was visible where his head should have been. I suddenly felt a pang of guilt. Did I contribute to his demise by not allowing the ambulance to come forward. I knew I blocked the ambulance for about 15 seconds. I stopped and got out of my vehile to find out. What I gathered was that the accident happened about 5 minutes ealier. The driver of the tata ace died instantly. There were a couple of occupants, greviously injured. It was for them that the ambulance came. I was relieved.

There are a couple of things I want to mention: the ambulance service called 108 (started by the infamous Satyam company) does an enormous job of helping accident victims. I myself can vouch for that. Just last week I happened to witness a man being run over by an Innova in Begumpet area of Hyderabad. I dialled 108 and the call was answered at the first ring and the ambulance came withing minutes.

Secondly, very often we drive through when we see the traffic that came to stand-still. Especially we do that when we see a long line of trucks. Very often we don't know what caused them and if we are in a small vehicle we assume that we can squeeze through. My question is whether it is wrong to drive forward on the wrong side in such situation. Should we just wait behind the line? To my defence I have instances where I found long lines of trucks standing at places (once an incredible 40 km line of trucks, on my way to Jamshedpur from Kolkata) and if I chose to stand behind them, I would never reach my desitnation.

Last edited by Jaggu : 5th April 2009 at 20:51. Reason: Readability, paragraphs help

Most Viewed