Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2016, 17:12   #20446
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
A colleague of mine who saw the accident told me that the tipper was in the AH43 road and it hit the divider on its left, crossed over and entered the BETL road and hit the car which was on the BETL road.

Yesterday the truck was still parked there to block the opening it had made in the divider so that people don't enter the BETL for free.
Thats a possibility, I heard a loud sound and next I saw the truck hitting the car. If the truck guy crossed over and then hit the car, he must have been doing serious speeds, considering the fact that there is a signal just before the place.
manojgautham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 10:05   #20447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Cabin intrusion is quite less, so if all had been belted up, IMHO it was survivable.
These types of ‘accidents’ are becoming too common these days. This is mainly due to poor road sign-ages and no accountability. I see at-least one such collusion in a week, either on the divider or at the entry point of most of flyovers. It is just a matter of putting the reflective signage at these points. Unfortunately, even after repeated accidents, that too at same points, no one takes action. A year ago there was a major accident near Intel flyover where a couple lost their lives, after which the police arrested a BBMP engineer for poor maintenance of the bridge. What next, BBMP engineers went on a mass strike to get him released: deadhorse.
The stories in most of the highways are same. Specially some of the culverts end-up on the roads creating dangerous death traps.

I guess in this accident, most of them were not belted, when will we learn
Old 28th April 2016, 11:37   #20448
BHPian

Narrating an incident which happened at the Royal Calcutta Golf Club last Sunday (24th of April, 2016).

Two of my friends' and I were at the club for a round of golf in the morning. We finished our game at 12:30 p.m. and prepared to leave. I had parked my car where the old tennis courts used to be, while one of my friends had parked near the driving range. Cars are usually parked there when the main parking becomes full. Since he would have had to walk a few extra minutes to reach his car and it was 45 degrees, he asked me to drop him till his car before leaving.

As I drove towards his car, we observed a flatbed tow truck driving in front of us towards the driving range. My friend commented that someone must have broken down and needed a tow. As we approached his car, we noticed a Renault Duster which had it's left front portion battered in. He suddenly exclaimed that the guy had hit his car (a Jazz) which was parked right after the Duster!

No sooner had I stopped my car, he had jumped out and ran toward his car. We found the Duster's owner standing there waiting for the Jazz owner (my friend) to arrive. My friend was understandably very annoyed, but no heated argument broke out and everything was discussed in a calm manner.

Turns out the Duster's owner had finished his game and given the keys to his caddy to put his golf set into the car. Now for some strange reason, the caddy decided to put the key into the ignition and start the car. Unfortunately, the car was in gear. When he started it, the Duster jumped forward and brushed my friend's Jazz and then proceeded to accelerate into a tree.

My friend's Jazz suffered scrapes to the right rear portions. On the other hand, the Duster had lost the battle with the tree. The entire front left portion was wiped out till the battery in the engine bay. The bonnet had crumpled up and the headlight was in pieces. Not sure if the car suffered any engine damage, but it would surely be quite some time before the poor guy got his car back from the garage.

The Duster's owner was extremely apologetic, but asked my friend to claim insurance for the repairs as the damage wasn't too bad relative to his car. Since my friend's father knew that gentleman, we ended the matter and went away. Thankfully nobody was injured especially since that path is usually pretty crowded. I didn't click any pictures since it would not have been appropriate at that moment.
fordfreak is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 11:48   #20449
Distinguished - BHPian

Its extremely annoying when a parked car gets damaged like this. Luckily your guy was still around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
The Duster's owner was extremely apologetic, but asked my friend to claim insurance for the repairs as the damage wasn't too bad relative to his car.

This is real nice. I have to spend SO much to repair my car, so I cant pay for your car, which was damaged by my car which did so while damaging itself?
Would your friend have let him off, if he didnt know him?
mayankk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 13:42   #20450
BHPian

Some times you have no choice but to grin and bear it.

3 weeks ago, I was driving on NH5, near Rajahmundry AP.
Stopped at a place where some road work is happening and traffic has to wait for its turn. An old gentleman in his Alto stopped to my left. When the traffic started moving, an auto came into him from his left and he swerved to right, right into my Fortuner
I have a lorry to my right and hence could not escape taking the bang. He hit the front left fender. Stopped car and went to check the damage. Not too bad but its visible.
The other driver is shivering and is not able to speak clearly. Now, I have to cool him down and tell him that in such case either he should block the Auto OR wait for him to go first. He should not be banging into others because somebody else is running into him. Was just wondering if I were not there, he would have banged into the lorry - which wouldn't even notice something going under it
FORTified is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 14:25   #20451
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Abarth Punto : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
....Also before we take a test drive, many dealers take our signature on a sheet with our DL details. The fine print in this sheet usually mentions that the damages will be borne by the driver......
Yeah Hemanth, there are many discussions on the topic, but they all say that it is the dealers responsibility to have a valid insurance policy to cover the car. The liability to the driver is maximum to the extent of the total loss minus the amount paid by the insurance company.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post1714622

Last edited by khan_sultan : 6th February 2019 at 15:41. Reason: Edited quoted posts for better readability
Old 28th April 2016, 15:56   #20452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Its extremely annoying when a parked car gets damaged like this. Luckily your guy was still around.

This is real nice. I have to spend SO much to repair my car, so I cant pay for your car, which was damaged by my car which did so while damaging itself?
No worse feeling than getting hit while parked or stationary. Since the owner wasn't even near his car at the time of the accident, it would be a little hard to put all the blame on him. The culprit was the caddy, who had no business trying to start the car for any reason. Even I give my car keys to my caddy, but he has strict instructions never to try starting or moving the vehicle.

If I were in my friend's shoes, I would have definitely demanded compensation if the person was unknown. My friend just handed the phone over to his father to speak to the Duster's owner and they settled the matter.

Just got to bite the bullet and move on sometimes I guess.
Old 28th April 2016, 16:40   #20453
BHPian

Talking about getting hit while parked, an inter-city bus rammed into a parked inter-city bus at Barpeta Road (Assam) yesterday killing 2 and injuring 30. Apparently, the bus (Bus 1) driver lost control of the bus on the highway and hit another bus (Bus 2) which was parked to let passengers get in. Bus 2 in turn hit a bike that was parked some metres ahead of it damaging it. No one was on the bike at that time fortunately.

Sometimes one has to suffer for entirely no mistake of theirs. As said by a Maruti SA once, only "luck" can save you on Indian roads.

Last edited by TD_GHY : 28th April 2016 at 16:41.
Old 29th April 2016, 07:59   #20454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I am not sure why is it so confusing to accept in India, that 'your' insurance alone is going to cater to damages or repairs to your car, no matter if you/I/random people damaged it. That is the reason of insurance, we can't ask other people (no matter if they are at fault) to compensate for repairs. I see a lot of folks lamenting about their no claim bonus vanishing for no fault of theirs, but that's hard luck...
apachelongbow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2016, 08:42   #20455
Senior - BHPian

Actually, while it may differ from who's insurance you claim compensation (yours or the other parties') a no fault claim does not affect your premium, discount or risk assessment.

If it is not your fault & you claim the insurance from your own company, then your insurance company claims the damages from the other company.

So 'tough luck' is not right. Where it fails, of course, is the delay in establishing any blame.
Old 29th April 2016, 09:28   #20456
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
I am not sure why is it so confusing to accept in India, that 'your' insurance alone is going to cater to damages or repairs to your car, no matter if you/I/random people damaged it. That is the reason of insurance, we can't ask other people (no matter if they are at fault) to compensate for repairs. I see a lot of folks lamenting about their no claim bonus vanishing for no fault of theirs, but that's hard luck...
Wrong.
Thats what third party is for.
You HAVE to ask the other person's insurer to pay for the damage caused by the other car, indian or otherwise.
As Indians, the only reason this doesnt happen is because you have to involve the system, which is painful for both people. This is why most people "settle".
mayankk is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 29th April 2016, 13:35   #20457
Distinguished - BHPian

In UK, our insurance company claims from the other driver's insurance company, or the driver themselves. They will even go to court on our behalf if necessary.

However, as time passed, some of the big companies realised that they were spending a great deal of administrative resource on making individual-case claims against each other, with the sum-total amount of money, for all claims, passing in either direction, being more-or-less equal. So, instead of company A processing 10,000 claims for GBP500 against company B, while company B processed 10,000 claims for GBP against company A, companies A and B agreed: lets just call it quits. It is called a knock for knock agreement. This is a matter between the companies, and does not affect the customers in any way.

Sometimes, even in a completive environment, common sense happens and works.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th April 2016, 22:25   #20458
BHPian

A Saudi Diplomat was killed today morning on the infamous Gurgaon-Faridabad road. Anyone having more info on this?
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsappimage20160430.jpg  

Old 1st May 2016, 06:42   #20459
BHPian

Did the accident take place on the notorious 'pahari' rasta that people refer to the ggn fbd road? I will try to dig out details from my cab guy.
Old 1st May 2016, 13:30   #20460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoj2268 View Post
Did the accident take place on the notorious 'pahari' rasta that people refer to the ggn fbd road? I will try to dig out details from my cab guy.
Yes. It has been covered by the media as well.

He took his brand new bike without properly run-in tyres to a road full of twists and turns, which must've been a factor behind the mishap.

Last edited by barcalad : 1st May 2016 at 13:32.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks