Team-BHP > Road Safety


Reply
 
50,514,056 views Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2009, 12:07   #2071
Senior - BHPian
 
suman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 278 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Till we don't know, its tough to surmise. It may have been that minute fraction of a second more of reaction time which did them in (cruising at 100+ speeds doesn't give much margin for error) - may have been an overtaking maneuver which went bad - could've been anything.
Hmmm, 2.30- 3 in the morning, going towards Delhi is normally quite empty, right? Couldn't for the life of me figure out why they crashed into the truck when it braked suddenly? Tailgating? Didn't notice the truck was slowing down? Who knows, only the third youth's statements will tell - if he ends up making them.

Till then - there will be an element of surmise. The empty beer bottles will not help their cause either.
suman is offline  
Old 13th April 2009, 12:22   #2072
BHPian
 
Bubby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 503
Thanked: 168 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Hmmm, 2.30- 3 in the morning, going towards Delhi is normally quite empty, right? Couldn't for the life of me figure out why they crashed into the truck when it braked suddenly? Tailgating? Didn't notice the truck was slowing down? Who knows, only the third youth's statements will tell - if he ends up making them.

Till then - there will be an element of surmise. The empty beer bottles will not help their cause either.
I strongly feel that one of these bottle may have made its way on into the ABC pedal region and jammed the brake pedal.
Bubby is offline  
Old 13th April 2009, 17:32   #2073
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 388
Thanked: 7 Times
Swift turns turtle on Mumbai Pune expressway

Todays papers reported an accident on Mumbai Pune Expressway where a Bandra businessman and his wife and one daughter lost their lives when their Swift hit the divider and turned turtle !!

This is probably the first case of Swift turning turtle on impact !! I had thought that with the low centre of gravity it was not possible for the car to flip over that too on impacting the dividers which are not that high in comparison to some in the city.
emkay456 is offline  
Old 13th April 2009, 18:27   #2074
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,513
Thanked: 455 Times

Must consider how the impact happened, as in the way it hit the divider.
vineethvazhayil is offline  
Old 13th April 2009, 18:37   #2075
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: KL-01
Posts: 7,671
Thanked: 4,085 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)

there have been pics posted here of a dzire which turned turtle after hitting a roadside slope at high speeds.
greenhorn is online now  
Old 13th April 2009, 18:55   #2076
Senior - BHPian
 
ramie2400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,903
Thanked: 66 Times

RIP to the lost souls,really sad to hear this.
ramie2400 is offline  
Old 13th April 2009, 19:43   #2077
BHPian
 
cruiser_1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 313
Thanked: 16 Times

May their souls rest in peace.

But shouldn't this be present in the Accidents in India thread?
cruiser_1982 is offline  
Old 13th April 2009, 20:32   #2078
BHPian
 
Perakath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 259
Thanked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay456 View Post
This is probably the first case of Swift turning turtle on impact !! I had thought that with the low centre of gravity it was not possible for the car to flip over that too on impacting the dividers which are not that high in comparison to some in the city.
Not possible? Even a jumbo jet will turn turtle given the right torque.

But I get what you mean.
Perakath is offline  
Old 13th April 2009, 21:34   #2079
BHPian
 
white_vdi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: new delhi
Posts: 857
Thanked: 38 Times

looks like a big vehicle hit the santro from behind. that it too much to pay for no fault of yours.
white_vdi is offline  
Old 13th April 2009, 23:02   #2080
BHPian
 
sudheeshnairs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Trivandrum/Bangalore
Posts: 146
Thanked: 7 Times

This accident happened on 18th February, 2009 at Pampavalley, near Erumeli. It occured at 4.30 in the morning. The bus was said to be in good speed on a descent and the driver who might not be well experience in the curvy hill roads didn't anticipate a curve.

12 people lost their lives, 10 of them aged women.

And the bus was ripped off during the fall and not sliced off during rescue operations. Perhaps several people might have escaped as they were thrown out of the bus.

See the news below

The Hindu : Kerala News : 12 A.P. pilgrims killed in accident


Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyer View Post
Clicked this picture on my way to Sabarimala on Friday in Kerala and this bus was down a valley around a hairpin bend. It looked quite fresh and god only knows what happened to the people.

Cheers
Mike
sudheeshnairs is offline  
Old 14th April 2009, 10:47   #2081
Senior - BHPian
 
Surprise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,522
Thanked: 449 Times



The Hindu : Tamil Nadu / Erode News : Four AIADMK activists killed in road accident

Went head on with a bus traveling from Palani to Salem. 5 people on the scorpio were killed on spot. Wonder how much speed they were traveling given the state of the scorpio or is it cut open to remove the deceased
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-scorpio.jpg  

Surprise is offline  
Old 14th April 2009, 11:01   #2082
BHPian
 
aerohit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: India
Posts: 955
Thanked: 904 Times

Damn - what a crazy country we live in - give the keys to bunch of animals, they drive and explode next day - This is probably the most important thread of this website

Last edited by aerohit : 14th April 2009 at 11:04. Reason: EDIT:Oooops - Just read the article - They were bunch of Politicians............................
aerohit is offline  
Old 14th April 2009, 11:24   #2083
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,209
Thanked: 523 Times

Unless the licensing norms are made stringent, accidents like this will not stop! Time for the Govt to wake up.
MileCruncher is offline  
Old 14th April 2009, 11:47   #2084
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 202
Thanked: 212 Times

Hey Sudheesh,
That was a really quick update,great keeep it up...Kudos!!!.
Cheers,
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudheeshnairs View Post
This accident happened on 18th February, 2009 at Pampavalley, near Erumeli. It occured at 4.30 in the morning. The bus was said to be in good speed on a descent and the driver who might not be well experience in the curvy hill roads didn't anticipate a curve.

12 people lost their lives, 10 of them aged women.

And the bus was ripped off during the fall and not sliced off during rescue operations. Perhaps several people might have escaped as they were thrown out of the bus.

See the news below

The Hindu : Kerala News : 12 A.P. pilgrims killed in accident
Miyer is offline  
Old 14th April 2009, 11:58   #2085
Senior - BHPian
 
vinaydas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 1,398
Thanked: 148 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
On page 3, someone said that Skodas are built like tanks.

Now Confirmed - No car is built like a tank.

(never should be)
Unless it's a H1(army version not the ones available to civilians)
vinaydas is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2023, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks