Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2016, 14:29   #21076
Senior - BHPian

Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
In the company where I work (in Pimpri), SAFETY IS PARAMOUNT AND NON-NEGOTIABLE! It is taken extremely seriously, which is very good. In my own small way, I internally conduct an interactive program called "VEHICLE BEHAVIORAL FEEL".

Also remember that the stretch from the Pune end start of the expressway upto the toll booth is also rough, it is like the short wave pitching track in VRDE Ahmednagar (the Sanpada crossing bridge is still worse, it shakes up the whole suspension).

I would love to accompany you sir on one of your Vehicle behavioural feel sessions!

Thankyou for clarifying the uneven road at the start of Pune end of expressway! I travel infrequently on the e-way and this stretch always makes me doubt my ride. Due to this I now prefer to take the old road and join the e-way at Lonavala while coming from Pune.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 14:36   #21077
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Senior official from Bajaj loses his life in E-Way crash. Article says it was BMW but no other details have been mentioned (if anyone knows please do share), neither is there any hint of details on whether the occupants had worn any seat belts. This just reiterates the fact that no car in the word is safe enough, be it a 3 lac car or a 30 lakh car and drivers are supposed to exercise extreme caution at all times. Lets not take life from granted

Quote:
Senior Bajaj Auto exec, wife die in e-way crash; kids injured

PUNE: Amrut Kumar Rath, a top-level manager working with two-wheeler major Bajaj Auto, and his wife were killed while their two children suffered serious injuries after their car hit the median of the Pune-Mumbai expressway at Malavli, around 60km from Pune, on Sunday afternoon. The family was returning to Pune from Mumbai when the accident happened.

The Highway Safety Patrol (HSP), Pune, and Lonavla police rushed the family to Lokmanya Hospital in Nigdi, where Rath (47) and his wife Padmaja (45) breathed their last under medical attention at 1PM. Their daughter Adisha (18) and son Alman (10) have been admitted to the intensive care unit (ICU) of the hospital.

Police inspector Shankar Awatade of the Nigdi police station told TOI that Rath was the president (human resources) at Bajaj Auto Limited. The family resides at Wakad. Both Adisha and Alman are studying in the city. Awatade said the family had gone to Mumbai in their BMW car early in the morning to drop off Rath's sister. They were returning to Pune when Rath apparently lost control over the vehicle.

The police said that while it had rained heavily in the area in the morning, there was only a slight drizzle at the time of the accident.

Late in the evening, the Nigdi police sent the bodies for a post-mortem to Yashwantrao Chavan Memorial Hospital. Doctors at Lokmanya Hospital said Adisha and Alman sustained joint dislocation and fractures in the accident. "Adisha suffered a hip dislocation and pelvic injuries. The hip dislocation has been immediately taken care of. Though she is still in the ICU, her condition is stable. Alman has sustained abdominal trauma and has fractured his right femur (thigh) bone. His condition is critical but stable. Both children were conscious-oriented at the time of admission," the doctors said.

Source
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 15:30   #21078
BHPian

A budding life snatched by reckless, senseless alochol guzzling youngsters. Was pained to see a innocent young kid and another family member die for no fault of theirs. The family had been to pick up the little one from school on her first day - turned into her last. When will drunken driving be made the single most, harshly punishable crime in India. How much more do we need to see...how many more kids should go to the grave when they should be playing, having fun at school and enjoying chocolates and ice-creams?

RIP Little Angel.

On our part - Let's all PLEDGE and TAKE A SOLEMN OATH that we will NEVER drink and drive AND discourage others from doing so. Let's not take away precious little lives. They deserve to see and enjoy this beautiful world...Just like us.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-hyderabadgirl_650x400_51467542974.jpg

http://www.ndtv.com/hyderabad-news/h...t-dies-1429795

Last edited by GTO : 13th July 2016 at 08:35. Reason: Removed link to the young casualty
ukamath is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 16:09   #21079
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
If they actually weren't wearing the seatbelts then its sad. Not expected.

Do be careful in your Yeti. I find the Yeti is prone to aquaplaning too, and another dangerous thing is the front wheels somehow manage to splash water right onto the windscreen which can be blinding.

I have ZERO hopes of the authorities doing anything to make the expressway better. In fact you may have seem some of the lanes they are resurfacing, which is done horribly and is far rougher and worse than the 15 year old + concrete of the original road.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-imageuploadedbyteambhp1468233316.319930.jpg

One can clearly see in the pic that the damage is not very severe. It looks like the kind of damage you see after the NCAP crash test which these cars are designed to survive. If you look carefully, one can see the bulge in the wind screen.

Thanks Akshay1234. I do and will take care. While the Yeti handles absolutely brilliantly in most conditions, you are right about the front wheels lose grip in very wet conditions.
shaktisarangi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 17:13   #21080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukamath View Post
A budding life snatched by reckless, senseless alochol guzzling youngsters. Was pained to see a innocent young kid and another family member die for no fault of theirs.......
RIP Little Angel.
http://www.ndtv.com/hyderabad-news/h...t-dies-1429795
It pains to see such a tragic loss of innocent young life to meaningless drunken driving. We need strict enforcement & punishments to keep such morons off the driving seat.
Old 11th July 2016, 17:23   #21081
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A budding life snatched by reckless, senseless alochol guzzling youngsters. Was pained to see a innocent young kid and another family member die for no fault of theirs. The family had been to pick up the little one from school on her first day - turned into her last. When will drunken driving be made the single most, harshly punishable crime in India. How much more do we need to see...how many more kids should go to the grave when they should be playing, having fun at school and enjoying chocolates and ice-creams?
RIP Little Angel.
It pains me to no end. Lives lost due to drunk driving can be saved and all it needs is a strong law and then its implementation.

Last edited by ampere : 12th July 2016 at 08:27. Reason: Removed image from quoted post
extreme_torque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 17:39   #21082
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A budding life snatched by reckless, senseless alochol guzzling youngsters. Was pained to see a innocent young kid and another family member die for no fault of theirs.
Basically, people are not scared to violate traffic rules. As long as the punishment is not severe, nothing is going to change. Unfortunately, till then we will be losing innocent lives like this.
arun_josie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 18:04   #21083
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post

It is necessary to educate people on how to drive properly on the expressway in the simple way and in the language that they can understand, then it is very much possible to achieve the target of zero accidents on the expressway.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Long ago, may be 20 or more years ago, there used advertisements on TV showing safe driving tips. They used to teach people how to take turns, slow down, park etc and were very educative. Unfortunately such initiatives are lot less and cars on roads are many times more. Manufacturers may take initiative and produce such adds for TVs as well as print media.
Old 11th July 2016, 20:20   #21084
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
It pains me to no end. Lives lost due to drunk driving can be saved and all it needs is a strong law and then its implementation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Basically, people are not scared to violate traffic rules. As long as the punishment is not severe, nothing is going to change. Unfortunately, till then we will be losing innocent lives like this.
Very tragic accident. Apart from being drunk, the driver was too young to drive too.

In Hyd the police is quite strict about DUI. If you are out on the road driving on a Fri night or a Sat night, it is pretty much certain that you will be stopped and checked.

But yes, the punishment should be more severe. I am reading reports that this guy, if convicted, will be in jail only for 10 years. This is after he has injured one and killed two innocent humans!!

In another tragic news, one of my colleagues in the US was killed in a similar car crash (DUI + rash driving). He also lost his parents in the crash :(. His wife is still critical and in the hospital. His 11 month old son survived miraculously! I just can't imagine the pain the family would be going over staying far away in India.

http://abc7ny.com/news/law-enforceme...rash-/1416039/
shifu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 20:36   #21085
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A budding life snatched by reckless, senseless alochol guzzling youngsters.

RIP Little Angel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
It pains to see such a tragic loss of innocent young life to meaningless drunken driving. We need strict enforcement & punishments to keep such morons off the driving seat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Feel very sad, to see the picture of the innocent little life that's lost now... And it hurts me even more that I do have friends who think its 'Cool' to drink and drive extremely fast and then update on WhatsApp about how fast they reached that very night. I keep discouraging this behavior, but somehow this display of speed has become a style statement these days.

I still remember how guilty I felt when, during my college days, my friend once ran over a dog at night (it howled and limped back, alive) but that incident left me deeply wounded for many days. I wonder, if these drunkards will ever feel remorse for their wrong act!
Old 11th July 2016, 20:46   #21086
Distinguished - BHPian

A friend of mine here was mowed down by two guys on a bike. She was on her pedal cycle. They left her lying there with a broken leg and just drove off.
Old 11th July 2016, 21:30   #21087
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A friend of mine here was mowed down by two guys on a bike. She was on her pedal cycle. They left her lying there with a broken leg and just drove off.

Sorry to hear that. But why was she alone on her pedal cycle. Was her parents away from her or was she riding it in a place that is basically a normal road.

And please do share the location where it happened. I have had ugly confrontation with many including lady riders in mylapore to slow down. While others didnt care, i had no second thoughts to confront.

Increasing i am seeing speeding motorist in by lanes and small roads which we traditionally see safe and calm. And i am forcing myself every time i take the car to not speed, accelerate and tell myself that i dont want to ruin someone else life.
Old 11th July 2016, 21:42   #21088
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Sorry to hear that. But why was she alone on her pedal cycle. Was her parents away from her or was she riding it in a place that is basically a normal road.
She is an adult, so parents don't come into the question.

Quote:
And please do share the location where it happened. I have had ugly confrontation with many including lady riders in mylapore to slow down. While others didnt care, i had no second thoughts to confront.
It was somewhere in Royapettah.

Quote:
Increasing i am seeing speeding motorist in by lanes and small roads which we traditionally see safe and calm. And i am forcing myself every time i take the car to not speed, accelerate and tell myself that i dont want to ruin someone else life.
I'm not sure that [motor-]bikers realise that they can cause as much injury as a car. I see them charge through pedestrians crossing the road without even glancing at them.

My friend has her leg in plaster, and says she will be laid up for some time. Sorry, I know this thread is "with pics" but the only one I have is the pic of her plaster. It was just a short whatsapp chat in which she was explaining why she could not come to a concert, so a little short on detail.
Old 12th July 2016, 08:41   #21089
Senior - BHPian

Got this new Innova Crysta accident picture on WhatsApp.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20160712wa0003.jpg

More images here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post4013364
Old 12th July 2016, 09:25   #21090
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Got this new Innova Crysta accident picture on WhatsApp.

More images here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post4013364
Looks like all of the airbags deployed in such small looking crash, isn't that too much?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks