Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2016, 11:17   #21286
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Mate, don't get me wrong. We're all good and nice human beings. Just that a wrong act is a wrong act. And one pays for it.
If you are done with your rant / speech, please consider the fallout of a "wrong act" in the real world, not the internet. Grab a seat.

For a very minor fender bender of my 70yo mom with a girl in her 20s on an activa in Feb 2016, my mother spent a full day in police station. In legal parlance, she was made to sign a bunch of papers that said that she had been arrested and bailed. Multiple court cases and counter FIRs were filed. The car was released after a week.

A week back, the police asked her to come to the police station and deposit the car's original RC and her original DL. Why? No answers. A strict response from our lawyer put a temporary stop to it though we're currently waiting for the case to come up aka be charge - sheeted.

Cause of the accident - the activa rider lost balance due to a pothole, and her scooter was ever so slightly rear ended by my mother as the activa fell and lost momentum + balance. The damage is only at the mirror and the piping on the LHS.

Why all this mess? because my mom refused to be extorted out of 5000 Rs by that woman and her male friends who were shouting and abusing my mother, including banging her car door etc.

This happened in Delhi, where we have an extensive network, and could request for a fair consideration to many levels of police, and yet, for reasons I cannot put in public, my mother is being harassed.

Imagine the mess that could happen in the i20 accident.

(mind you, at the same time, there was a mother wailing for her adult son missing since 2 days, but the same policemen were busy telling her to go to the other police station where the mobile signal was caught last - and look at how strict they were with my mother!)

Here are the pics! I've had my bike suffer more damage in a parking lot due to idiotic parking lot users!!

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-mom1.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-mom2.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-mom3.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-mom4.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-mom5.jpg
PS: Other details excluded as the matter is subjudice. In our view, the activa rider was absolutely fine and if there was a CCTV camera at the police station, it would attest to the same for the few hours subsequent to the incident.

Last edited by phamilyman : 26th July 2016 at 11:24.
phamilyman is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 11:17   #21287
Senior - BHPian

6 people killed in a head on collision between Tempo traveller and TNSRTC bus near Theni, TN. It looks like an overtaking attempt went totally wrong from pics.

Pics shows how unsafe a vehicle Tempo traveller is.

Link

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-3.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1.jpg
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-2.jpg

Last edited by arjithin : 26th July 2016 at 11:18.
arjithin is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 12:45   #21288
Team-BHP Support

That looks more like T-boned at an angle than a head-on (TT's front is intact). The van seems to be on the wrong side of an undivided highway too.
Old 26th July 2016, 13:02   #21289
Senior - BHPian

Ciaz Hatchback

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20160716_103206.jpg
Old 26th July 2016, 13:18   #21290
Distinguished - BHPian

Another horrible meaningless expressway accident kills 5 youngsters.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-yetanothermajoraccidentonmumbaipuneexpressway5dead.jpg

Quote:
In yet another tragic incident on the Mumbai-Pune expressway, 5 people lost their lives when their car overturned near the Kamshet tunnel during the wee hours of Tuesday.

According to preliminary information, there were a total of six passengers in the Maruti Ciaz (MH 14 EU 7038) travelling from Mumbai to Pune.
Link

Got the information from a Facebook group. What a waste of life.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 13:49   #21291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Ciaz Hatchback
The picture from other side would have been more interesting. I see this car everyday and keep guessing how this would have happened. The other end is hit almost till the rear of front seats!
Old 26th July 2016, 13:56   #21292
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalajprakash View Post
Things such as opening up Google Maps while driving, playing Pokemon Go while driving are all things that most of us do on a regular basis ... ...

Good Grief No!

And if that is true of even a minority of T-BHPers, then we are not spreading our message as well as we think and have to try a lot harder.

Admitted: I talk on the phone, hands off system. Actually, some studies say otherwise, but I don't find it any more distracting to talk to my wife this way than it is to talk to her when she is sitting by my side. I never make phone calls with the handset unless the car is stationary.

Admitted: I use Google Maps for navigation. The destination is set before leaving. Changes are made stationary at the side of the road.

Games? Pokemon? Would not even think of it. Don't play anyway, but if I did, I'd still be more concerned about bikers or cows in front of me than pokemons.

I've even been complaining, for decades, about music head units that require eyesight as well as just touch. People used to have accidents using even with the 2-knobs-and-buttons stuff of long ago.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 14:07   #21293
BHPian

I'm guilty of trying to set up Google maps sometimes when I'm lost but I usually slow down to crawl and stop towards the side of the road to do so. I guess I didn't convey the right meaning when I said us, I meant us as the Indian public not TeamBHP members. And that exact lack of care for safety is one of the issues forums like ours are trying to fix.

As for Pokémon Go, it's a virtual reality game that requires people to move in the real world. It has caused massive highway pileups across the world and I often see videos on YouTube of people playing the game while driving even in India. I have personally tweeted at the creators to put the game on standby if the game detects a certain speed faster than walking but haven't received a response yet.
jalajprakash is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 14:36   #21294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
6 people killed in a head on collision between Tempo traveller and TNSRTC bus near Theni, TN.
Pics shows how unsafe a vehicle Tempo traveller is.
The state of the TT resembles more like a bomb explosion rather than a collision.

We have been time and again discussing and trying to define what is a "safe vehicle". With an alarming rise of such accidents involving insane speeds and bad drivers, it really does not make any sense to judge the quality of the vehicles.

Also read some report saying the driver dozed off.
Old 26th July 2016, 14:52   #21295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
That looks more like T-boned at an angle than a head-on (TT's front is intact). The van seems to be on the wrong side of an undivided highway too.
I read about this incident in TOI today and as per police, this is what happened and pictures too suggest the same.
Quote:
The van driver failed to notice the bus coming from the opposite direction while overtaking a vehicle. The van driver tried to veer to the right in an attempt to avert a collision. But it was too late. The bus rammed the left side of the van killing the six passengers instantly
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/53390217.cms
Old 26th July 2016, 15:09   #21296
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makin Rulesz View Post
I read about this incident in TOI today and as per police, this is what happened and pictures too suggest the same.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/53390217.cms
T-bone is probably not the right word but that's what I meant. The TT took a hit side-on at an angle trying to swerve further right while already being on the 'right' carriageway (wrong side) of the road.
Old 26th July 2016, 15:15   #21297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
The state of the TT resembles more like a bomb explosion rather than a collision.

We have been time and again discussing and trying to define what is a "safe vehicle". With an alarming rise of such accidents involving insane speeds and bad drivers, it really does not make any sense to judge the quality of the vehicles.

Also read some report saying the driver dozed off.
Even a Mercedes Viano would've had a similar outcome. Most vehicles are not designed to survive a side impact crash with a bus.
Old 26th July 2016, 15:25   #21298
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Another horrible meaningless expressway accident kills 5 youngsters.
Kamshet tunnel area doesn't have any serious twist or such. This could be high speeding on rain drenched surface and probably a sudden lane changing attempt. Can't rule out tyre burst also.
Rudra Sen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 15:36   #21299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Kamshet tunnel area doesn't have any serious twist or such. This could be high speeding on rain drenched surface and probably a sudden lane changing attempt. Can't rule out tyre burst also.
That's correct. A few weeks back I encountered a similar issue. I was on the middle lane driving at around 80 or so. In the right (fast) lane was another car which was trying to overtake me. From behind me (in the middle lane) comes an Innova tries to squeeze between me and the vehicle in the right lane. In the process he brushes my car's right rear end. The Innova almost went off balance but somehow the driver managed to regain control and speed off. For a moment I thought this guy would hit the divider head on. My car sustained some scratches and couple of small dents. Funny thing is that the left lane was totally free.

I believe the above accident happened just because of a high speed lane changing attempt.
Another reason could be the driver dozing off as this happened in the wee hours of the morning.
Old 26th July 2016, 18:27   #21300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
T-bone is probably not the right word but that's what I meant. The TT took a hit side-on at an angle trying to swerve further right while already being on the 'right' carriageway (wrong side) of the road.
The bottom line is OVERTAKING ON UNDIVIDED HIGHWAY. Considering the fact that accidents are alarmingly increasing even on 4/6 lane highways with road divider, my guess is people do not know the basic rules while overtaking on undivided highway.
It is a test of one's patience if you are following a slow moving vehicle and you have vehicles coming on the opposite side. Many a time I have seen people just loose patience and blindly overtake. I can quote the Old Madras Road on the AP side. Private bus operators drive like maniacs with scant regard for the vehicles coming in the opposite side and if that vehicle happens to be a car, then in addition to braking and pulling to the left, the car driver has to pray to god that something untoward does not happen.
suresh_gs is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks