Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2016, 16:34   #21586
mxh
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Could not find an English version of this report. Here is a regional version for those who can read-
http://www.mathrubhumi.com/thrissur/...news-1.1289974

Attachment 1543598
pic courtesy-www.mathrubhumi.com

Being an ardent fan of this car, it is heart wrenching to see it in such a sad state.

Happened in Thrissur, Kerala. One killed and 4 others seriously injured. All of them in their early 20s. As per report, it happened at 1.30 am, when the car rammed into an electric transformer, and the transformer and the electric posts fell on to the car mangling it.
Wow, I can't believe only 1 died. Seems to be very fortunate for the others. I love the Baleno too, it was my previous car. But it became a big hassle to maintain since Maruti doesn't have many parts. There are some after market parts but of very low quality. People should think before giving their kids such old used cars. It might not have been a driver error.
mxh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2016, 16:52   #21587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Got these as WhatsApp forward, happened somewhere in Rajasthan. Anyone has more info about this? Scary to look at the roof of the D'zire and scarier to think about the occupants. Looks like the D'zire rear ended the camel at high speed.
Woah. I have not seen any such accident like this. Looks like a high speed rear-ending case. The poor camel is fully wedged completely into the front compartment. The occupants would be very lucky if they survived. A camel easily weights over 500kg, so that much mass went right through the front driver section.

Any additional news about this?
Old 24th August 2016, 17:46   #21588
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
OT:

Are you sure about this?

If it is , it is something which is not right on their part to give you out the address to any Tom/Dick/Harry asking for it based on the registration number as it can be mis-used , not to mention risky.

I know phone companies don't give out the address attached to the phone number unless it is from cops with a valid request.

Correct me if I am wrong.
I see that schakravarthy has already given details. A few points from my experience are below.

This is very much needed for vehicle transfers/sale or hypothecation. If you buy a vehicle how will you know if it's loan (if mentioned in RC) is closed or not? This is the only way.

When you sell your vehicle you must get this paper to prove that it's no longer in your name.

Well, you may feel threatened by such details being given out. Frankly if someone wanted to do mischief this method is the least of your worries.

I use "your" purely in a general all India population encompassing manner.

And it's not just in Karnataka. Almost every state offers this in one or other way.

You may say it must go via official RTO channels. In Indiranagar RTO there is just 1(one, single, uno, ek) main RTO inspector. He does Learner licenses, fitness certs., this and that. If you give this task too, he will run away.

Again speaking generally, anyone can pay an RTO tout 100-200 and get say, Sunny Leone's (she likes only bald, bespectacled men with OHC cars) address.

Man, with all due respect, phone companies are not steel bank vaults. It's a vault built with chicken mesh.

For 5 (very low) digit rupees any C, D or Z minus quality detective or even that CID actor on TV (forgot the name; wears many rings) can get your annual phone records.

This is of course invalid in court. Feel happy or scared, it's a fact.

Note: I've not tested these illegal methods. I've heard this from some birds flying near my house. Owls.

Owls always lie, say the crows.

Last edited by hangover : 24th August 2016 at 17:59.
hangover is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 07:21   #21589
Distinguished - BHPian

This happened in outskirts of my city on highway during daytime. Apparently there were 4 people in car and the driver lost control and hit the outside barrier. Damage is extensive with whole left side ripped off. The car looks like a Datsun Go/ Go+.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-refhbmbta5tcssb9bdrmfq40.jpg
Snap is from a newspaper. No links available.

Last edited by Zappo : 25th August 2016 at 15:42. Reason: Typo corrected
Old 25th August 2016, 10:33   #21590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
This happened in outskirts of my city on highway during daytime. Apparently there were 4 people in car and the driver lost control and hit the outside barrier. Damage is extensive with whole right side ripped off. The car looks like a Datsun Go/ Go+.

Attachment 1546792
Snap is from a newspaper. No links available.
Both A and B pillars have disappeared Is the build quality that bad? As in, the tough passenger survival cell (the norm in car safety design) does not seem to exist in this car!

Yes, this does look like a Datsun Go.
Old 25th August 2016, 10:37   #21591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Thanks for this piece of information.
DUI,No licence or permit is so difficult a conclusion to come to with this evidence
Hemant,
Just a suggestion. Can you try reaching out to Abhishek Goyal? https://twitter.com/dcptreastbcp / https://twitter.com/goyal_abhei
He is the most tech-savvy IPS officer in Bangalore AFAIK. Unlikely that you will be ignored.
DejavuTrip is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 10:43   #21592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Both A and B pillars have disappeared Is the build quality that bad? As in, the tough passenger survival cell (the norm in car safety design) does not seem to exist in this car!

What else should one expect from a car that was recommended by the Latin NCAP program officials to be put out of production? Its sad to see that many car makers don't see the risk in putting Indians on such vehicles. While they know these tin cans cannot be sold elsewhere, so they even have heavier and well built variants of the same cars for the export variants.

The Government is least interested, worse still - even the customers do not realize the importance of safety features, as they don't seem to demand them.
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 12:27   #21593
BHPian

Quote:

The side could have been cut after the accident to take out the victims. Without knowing the speed its hard to put the blame entirely on the car build, although its does look like its a high speed crash. The car does have a general poor build as evidenced by the crash tests.

Last edited by heavenlybull : 25th August 2016 at 12:43.
heavenlybull is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 13:48   #21594
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The A and B pillars have been ripped apart and lying entangled with guard rails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenlybull View Post
The side could have been cut after the accident to take out the victims. Without knowing the speed its hard to put the blame entirely on the car build, although its does look like its a high speed crash. The car does have a general poor build as evidenced by the crash tests.
If you look closely, you'll see that the left side front and rear doors are stuck into the guard rail. Moreover, this place hasn't got much of procedure to follow in case of such accidents so highly unlikely that the shell was cut open.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 17:16   #21595
Distinguished - BHPian

Fiat Linea vs a private bus, near Kochi on 22nd August.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-14054257_10154441089599122_6441997827844651300_n.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-14102315_10154441089829122_7468810473627710287_n.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-14022349_10154441089604122_7413441942535856630_n.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-14040185_10154441089879122_1726397928716108687_n.jpg

According to the OP:

Quote:
the driver of the car a 60 yr old man escaped unhurt with a small bruise only to his finger from the splinters from glass

guys this is not my car, happened to meet that driver of the car yesterday at hyson motors kochi just after the accident and he was saying it was a rebirth for him
HV Kumar group on FB
RavenAvi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 17:20   #21596
BHPian

Quote:

The Go scored a ZERO in Latin NCAP tests, with the reason being that its body shell was not rigid enough to withstand a high speed crash. No survival space in the cabin in the event of a crash, as the body was found to deform.
I think Latin NCAP itself, or some other international body, asked Datsun to immediately stop the sale of the Go, wherever it was being sold. But apparently, Indian authorities rubbished their claims saying "It is up to our standards and can be sold".
Datsun did not care and still continues to sell it. So much so that they even released an MPV on the same platform!
This is just sad. Utter negligence to people's lives.
Rohan24 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 17:22   #21597
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
I'm pretty sure that if the bus had proper under-run protection at a low height, we wouldn't see even this much damage in the passenger compartment. Something like this:
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-volvo9700frontpanel.jpg
I say this because the damage is not to the front of the car, rather it is to the top of the bonnet and windshield area, indicating that the primary crash absorbing structure (i.e. engine compartment) went under the bus.

Makes me want to go out and buy a Fiat.

Last edited by arunphilip : 25th August 2016 at 17:27.
arunphilip is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 17:30   #21598
BHPian

Quote:
What speeds did this happen at?!
Nonetheless, the Linea fared exceptionally well! The primary crumple zones, i.e. the front bumper, fenders have not even been involved and yet there's not much intrusion in the cabin.
Rohan24 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 18:03   #21599
BHPian

Quote:
Linea Owners can confirm this:
I see alloys, but no Steering mounted controls, and no airbags as well.
Is this the Active Variant?
or the Dynamic one ? In that case, why didnt the Airbag deploy?
aqualeo2040 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 18:16   #21600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
Linea Owners can confirm this:
I see alloys, but no Steering mounted controls, and no airbags as well.
Is this the Active Variant?
or the Dynamic one ? In that case, why didnt the Airbag deploy?
If this is indeed the Dynamic variant, then it should have airbags, you're right.
The impact sensors are generally located in the bumpers at around 4 points, AFAIK. Since the impact was mostly on the top part of the bumper, and mostly bonnet and windshield, the sensors wouldn't have detected a crash. Hence, the airbags may not have deployed.

Most Viewed