Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2016, 07:18   #21811
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
The point I'm making is that a clunky and complicated technical solution is not a replacement for common sense. And that we should stop running to technology to solve problems that are better addressed through driver education (or cutting drivers out of the loop altogether via driverless cars) and enforcement.

That's why I like the preamble to the German Highway Code, which states the following before bringing up any discussion of actual speed limits:

Summarized in two words, I'd say that means "Drive sensibly", and is the point that Thad made earlier.
"Drive Sensibly" - Exactly....and there lies our problem. We're a country where we still haven't understood the word "queue"....or "Stopping at Red Light".
Torqy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 07:30   #21812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
If only we could teach and imbibe in all drivers' minds that "the herd can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo." One in the middle wants to move faster just because he can, he hits a few on the way.!
Or wants to drive slow and slows down the entire herd. I see them all the time, either busy with a mobile or just plain stupid to be driving.

Last edited by honeybee : 20th September 2016 at 07:46.
Old 20th September 2016, 09:56   #21813
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Oh well. Nothing will happen of this too - the guy will go scot-free in some days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
Apparently the drunk driver from yesterday was a professional racing driver.
And apparently he is also the Son of a Supreme Court lawyer Vijayanand (Source: Google search).
So, there is absolutely not doubt that he'll walk away without any punishment whatsoever!
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 10:05   #21814
BHPian

Well, life does allow you certain pleasures while following all rules. Such as - using sports mode in DSG/ZF gearbox to rush from 0 - 60/80 kmph (depending on speed limit) on a empty stretch. Safe driving doesn't always have to be sedate driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
Well actually I find driving to be extremely boring because I try to follow all rules and speed limits. And I feel that driving on public roads shouldn't be considered a thrill in life.
Apologies for the OT post.
Acharya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 10:16   #21815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
Apparently the drunk driver from yesterday was a professional racing driver.
http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper...cle9125737.ece
Quote:
They were returning from a party hosted at a private residence in Poes Garden
Very influential neighbour(s) in that case. Unlikely this kid will see any sort of prosecution.

But the accident took place on Cathedral Road right - why were the damaged vehicles carted all the way to Besant Nagar?
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 11:42   #21816
CGB
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Very influential neighbour(s) in that case. Unlikely this kid will see any sort of prosecution.

But the accident took place on Cathedral Road right - why were the damaged vehicles carted all the way to Besant Nagar?
All such vehicels are always dumped behind the Bus depot in besant nagar. I have seen many such nice cars crashed and parked there. Mostly all high end cars involved in accidents and they vanish within a week or so.
Old 20th September 2016, 11:47   #21817

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-wp_20150911_020.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-wp_20150911_017.jpg

Something to lighten the mood, I guess. Spotted this recently when I was riding between Hubli and Gulbarga in north Karnataka. Single lane highway, excellent road and no real traffic as seen in the second pic. Don't know how the bus managed to slide off the road. The people were saying the driver might have fallen asleep. (But then again, I couldn't really get a lot of info because I was wearing a full riding gear kit)

Last edited by bblost : 20th September 2016 at 12:58.
Old 20th September 2016, 12:00   #21818
BHPian

We see this all the time. I think its about morals taught when you were growing up and more and more of the rich dad generation hardly have their parents around and pick up bad habits along the way?
Trying to get his idea of thrill the boy killed a poor man. Law has to deal with this as harsh as possible. To me it seems unlikely with the kind of attention the case has got, he would go scott free.

I think the only way to deal with drunken driving is to cancel people's license for a long period of time even on the first offence. Two strikes and you are out completely. Law needs to be tough as a car in wrong hands is a death warrant for others.

Feel sad for the deceased. May his family have courage to overcome this huge loss.
Old 20th September 2016, 12:25   #21819
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcat1011 View Post
Unfortunately the pictures are not visible. Clicking on the pictures link leads to an invalid link. Kindly correct it.
Old 20th September 2016, 12:27   #21820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
To me it seems unlikely with the kind of attention the case has got, he would go scott free.
I sincerely pray that is true. But the case of Salman Khan and the Reliance Marketing Manager got a lot more attention than this, and we know what the end result is...
Old 20th September 2016, 12:30   #21821
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
I sincerely pray that is true. But the case of Salman Khan and the Reliance Marketing Manager got a lot more attention than this, and we know what the end result is...
Reliance employed senior lawyer actually. https://thelogicalindian.com/news/ju...r-license-car/
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 16:00   #21822
Distinguished - BHPian

A major bus accident happened yesterday afternoon in an adjoining district, unconfirmed reports say over 50 dead. An overloaded bus carrying around 70 people went straight into a pond in broad daylight. Quoting from news snippet -

Quote:
Madhubani/Patna: At least 35 people died as the bus they were travelling in fell into a pond on Benipatti-Sitamarhi road near Basaith village under Benipatti police station area in Madhubani district around noon on Monday.
State Disaster Management control room in Patna confirmed that according to State Disaster Response Force (SDRF) team working in resuce operaiton at Madhubani 35 bodies had been fished out. "The SDRF team is still working to fish out other bodies, if any, in the water," said an official at the control room.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/54415202.cms
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-madhubanibuspti.jpg  

Last edited by BoneCollector : 20th September 2016 at 16:10.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 16:00   #21823
BHPian

http://indianexpress.com/article/ind...illed-3040652/

What exactly were they trying to do?
Old 20th September 2016, 17:49   #21824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanmd View Post
This is a nasty accident. At first i thought the biker coming from the lower part of the screen was driving on the wrong side of the road, but on closer view it seems it is a two lane road and both vehicles were driving at the center of the road.

As per the article, it was apparently a case of night racing, where the scooterist was hit by the alleged racer. And just see the speed at the time of impact. Literally no time to react.

Last edited by DriverR : 20th September 2016 at 17:53.
DriverR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 17:53   #21825
BHPian

When are we going to learn
Eight school going kids dead, due to rash driving by bus driver. What kind of person would leave injured, crying nursery kids and run away.

http://www.ndtv.com/amritsar-news/5-...-canal-1464147

We need stringent controls on school bus drivers and we need it today!

Last edited by Acharya : 20th September 2016 at 17:56.
Acharya is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed