Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2016, 09:50   #21916
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Yet another case of drunk driving has resulted in a horrific accident in Hyderabad just three months after a similar incident claimed the life of 8-year-old Ramya.

A 5-year-old girl, Sanjana is on ventilator support while her mother Sridevi, 36, is in serious condition. A Hyundai Santro had rammed them as they were crossing a road on Sunday evening.

http://www.ndtv.com/hyderabad-news/5...-lateststories
Old 4th October 2016, 10:47   #21917
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparth View Post

According to him the damage couldve been reduced if Hyundai had provided better brakes in Creta. He has always been complaining about the brakes and has had a few near misses recently because of the brakes but this time he wasnt that lucky.
One question : Why is your friend counting so much on the efficiency of the brakes? Now that he had a few near misses in past already, wouldn't he be well off driving more defensively?
If it were me, I will drive defensive.
I don't bet my life [or for that matter, other lifes on the road] on my brakes.
I drive a fortuner, notorious for its breaking capabilities.
FORTified is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 11:33   #21918
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karts View Post
I have seen many drivers having this habit of swerving as soon as their body (Front half of the car) gets clearance, They don't account for the other half of the car while changing lanes. Same with bikes as well.
The primary reason for this is the guy thinks that the vehicle behind is supposed to stop and give them way and not the other way around. I have had 2 such near misses in the recent times and in both cases I gave the idiots a piece of my mind much to the chagrin of my family members in the car
Old 4th October 2016, 11:35   #21919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
This happened at around 9:30 PM on September 30th.

Anyone who has seen the crashed car in the flesh, has said that it was impossible for anyone inside the car to have survived. As such, the 4 survivors are thanking their lucky stars.
These kind of accidents raise question on the utility of crash tests done in developed world traffic situations, where as roads in India offer innovative and indigenous threats.

Perhaps a detailed study of accidents in India could come up with ground breaking car designs such as
1. Vehicles that will not roll under a truck/bus
2. A pillars that can take 80 kmph hit, still not crumble
3. Body shell which can withstand major hit without losing it's core shell
Old 4th October 2016, 12:57   #21920
Senior - BHPian

That picture of Fiesta accident is giving me chills. This shows it is unsafe even to park your vehicle well outside the shoulders of the road on a highway. Swap the lorry and the car, results would have been same. I always make a point to park the car behind a tree, lay byes or only if a divider separates the main carriageway and parking spot.
poloman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 13:52   #21921
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post
Yet another case of drunk driving has resulted in a horrific accident in Hyderabad just three months after a similar incident claimed the life of 8-year-old Ramya.

A 5-year-old girl, Sanjana is on ventilator support while her mother Sridevi, 36, is in serious condition. A Hyundai Santro had rammed them as they were crossing a road on Sunday evening.
Absolutely heart wrenching incident this. The perpetrators of this heinous crime only deserve capital punishment. A young girl lost her life - there is nothing that can be done to subside the pain of parents. These demons should be made example of. How can a human be so callous? Rabid Dogs are better than this.
pratyush6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 15:40   #21922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
In this case , I don't think the truck had the bar at all. The pipe like object on the truck wheel is the Fiesta's air box.
It is indeed the Fiesta's Engine Cover and Intake. I have a Fusion and I know that shape very well. It is possible that the under-run protection bars were either dislodged during or prior to the accident resulting in such severe carnage.
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 20:17   #21923
BANNED

Re: Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Returned from Chennai yesterday. What was till then...the SMS that the surveyor's work is done; waiting for the call from service advisor.

The car, at the scene of the accident:
So did they replace the bumper and match its color to the body color? There is an excellent mechanic for this type of damage based in Koramangala. I do not remember it's name. It is run by 2 brothers in a rather grimy lane.

Top end cars come in with cracked bumpers for some TLC. A new bumper would cost 10k to 100k. This is where parsimonious drivers get their cars.

The owner and painter-in-chief is an expert in tinkering and matching color shades.

In this case they would staple the broken sections and use a heat gun. That embeds the staples into the plastic bumper.

The value add starts now. They expertly apply metal paste (greenish and radioactive to look at) and smoothen it to the original shape. Then roughen its surface and do an exact color matching of its paint to the actual car.

This makes a huge difference for a slightly older car. One may not notice that it's original color has faded a little over time.

I don't know this garage's present exact location. I recall vaguely that one of them is called Nagaraj reddy.
hangover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 21:15   #21924
Senior - BHPian

Received these on whatsapp.

Happened somewhere on Avinashi road.

No idea what happened, the lady is belted and it seems like the seat belt has failed and has been holding the person in this suspended state. Also seems like she was in between the Rapid and the Swift, going by the color on the Swift.

Some graphic content, not for the weak hearted.

Gruesome gruesome accident.

EDIT / UPDATE : It was NOT a seat-belt failure, the person who departed was not belted, which was confirmed by pics I received later. Also, there was 6 people in the car.

Last edited by Rehaan : 6th October 2016 at 16:56. Reason: Added note as requested
Old 4th October 2016, 21:53   #21925
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
Happened today near....Jump to 0:13 for the actual footage.
You may blame the scooter rider. You would get full marks in that exam.

But you would be wrong. Totally.

It is actually due to faulty civil and road planning engineering. Road dividers, medians and one way streets are constructed and designated based on unscientific principles.

Data on road usage patterns and analysis of work hours and the direction people head towards and at what time must be collected for 6 months minimum. This is prior to getting even one grain of sand or jelly stone to that road.

Historical (say 10-20 years) places like public markets and government offices must have even more planning. Thousands visit such places. It is the engineers job to plan out how.

To illustrate: If you travel on Old Madras road right now in bangalore city, you will see 20 feet of footpaths being constructed on both sides of a 100 feet wide road. This is from Bayappanaalli metro station to just before the RMZ tech park.

Why is it wrong? On one side is the HAL senior officers quarters. This is a half km long compound wall. It has had maybe 100 pedestrians going from one end to the other in the last 60 years. Now a 20 feet width of that side of the road is becoming a footpath.

The other side is some Defence land or possibly NGEF (gov.) property. It is an empty parcel of land. This has had only 10 pedestrians in a thousand years. Their ghosts are now getting a top quality 20 feet wide path.

It is not even a low cost footpath. Provisions for fancy street lights and crafted plants and public benches are being made. All this for a historic traffic of 110/millennium. Some were mendicants.

So this 100 feet wide road is going to be a 50-55 feet wide gully type of road. I forgot to mention that it already has a 3 feet (actual 2,plus debris of 1 feet) wide divider.

I can't find keys to my JCB, else I would have rearranged it myself.
hangover is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 21:57   #21926
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
This guy was lucky there was a CCTV footage. There could be many other suicide cases where the driver would have been unnecessarily caught and jailed. And the way some people blindly cross roads, I think they are practically trying to commit suicide!
Hope is not lost without CCTV. The car went over the body. The injuries would be different from those being hit front-on. Autopsy would have revealed the probable cause. But CCTV footage cleared it beyond doubt.
Old 4th October 2016, 22:05   #21927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangover View Post

To illustrate: If you travel on Old Madras road right now in bangalore city, you will see 20 feet of footpaths being constructed on both sides of a 100 feet wide road. This is from Bayappanaalli metro station to just before the RMZ tech park.

Why is it wrong? On one side is the HAL senior officers quarters. This is a half km long compound wall. It has had maybe 100 pedestrians going from one end to the other in the last 60 years. Now a 20 feet width of that side of the road is becoming a footpath.

The other side is some Defence land or possibly NGEF (gov.) property. It is an empty parcel of land. This has had only 10 pedestrians in a thousand years. Their ghosts are now getting a top quality 20 feet wide path.

It is not even a low cost footpath. Provisions for fancy street lights and crafted plants and public benches are being made. All this for a historic traffic of 110/millennium. Some were mendicants.

So this 100 feet wide road is going to be a 50-55 feet wide gully type of road. I forgot to mention that it already has a 3 feet (actual 2,plus debris of 1 feet) wide divider.

I can't find keys to my JCB, else I would have rearranged it myself.
I think you are missing the whole point here. This is being constructed as a footpath/cycle track for the passengers alighting at Bypanahalli metro station. They can easily reach RMZ, Gopalan malls or KR Puram by foot or by cycle.
poloman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2016, 22:43   #21928
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
I think you are missing the whole point here. This is being constructed as a footpath/cycle track for the passengers alighting at Bypanahalli metro station. They can easily reach RMZ, Gopalan malls or KR Puram by foot or by cycle.
I sincerely hope you are proved right. We can discuss this in a month or two.
I am unable to figure out how our traffic cops will manage the present bumper to bumper 1 km long traffic on the new pedestrian friendly road.
I hope they do not get inspired to make this a one way road. That will allow this Hyderabad video to be remade into a Kannada news report.
Old 5th October 2016, 09:27   #21929
BHPian

Not from India may be Thailand.
Mods: kindly remove or move it to appropriate thread if required

Sad to see the gentle giant lost life

may be authorities should have taken necessary steps for the animal crossing or slowing down the vehicles in the wild forest areas.
Mr.Bangalore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2016, 12:45   #21930
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
These kind of accidents raise question on the utility of crash tests done in developed world traffic situations, where as roads in India offer innovative and indigenous threats.

Perhaps a detailed study of accidents in India could come up with ground breaking car designs such as
1. Vehicles that will not roll under a truck/bus
2. A pillars that can take 80 kmph hit, still not crumble
3. Body shell which can withstand major hit without losing it's core shell
See attached photo.

You are underestimating mechanical engineers. Designs for all 3 points have been around for 3000 years.

Take a flat sheet of metal (i.e. any car panel) and weld a 1 inch wide 5 mm thick steel band (called as a "flat" by steel traders) all along its inner side (not visible on outside).

Weld these flats at 6 inch gaps. It must be perpendicular to the sheet metal.
Your car (driven by a robot) can have a head on collision with a Russian T-72 tank. You can pick out tank spare parts like depleted uranium from the road and drive away richer.

I know this because we had built revolving car display units for an exhibition.

A 1.7 or maybe 2 ton bolero jeep was placed on a ladder frame of I shape columns. Below it I welded this flat piece I refer to all along its 8 feet length.
There was zero bending even after 5 days of resting that bolero and slowly rotating it at 1.5 rpm for display.

Car mfrs. merely make a few ribs on roof tops. That is only useful as a rain gutter. Feel free to use my idea if you need T-72 spares.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-image.jpeg  

Last edited by hangover : 5th October 2016 at 12:59.
hangover is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks