Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2016, 14:52   #21976
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post
I came across a similar accident last Tuesday while travelling from Hunsur to Mysore. A cow had suddenly jumped out of a median, with heavy vegetation. The Etios was too late to change the course and had hit the cow resulting in its death. The car had frontal damages to its wind screen and bonnet. Its very dangerous some times to travel near the median!

Sometimes, you would have these giants waking in your way when you are in their territory. Specially night time travel would be quite dangerous.
Animals on Indian roads are a nightmare to drivers & especially riders on 2 wheels, who bear an equal brunt as the animal in injury
cosmic_ocean is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2016, 17:11   #21977
Distinguished - BHPian

There was a horrible accident today morning at around 07:30 hrs close to the Kanakapura exit coming from EC side.
A company bus and Bolero pickup commercial vehicle were involved.
The Bolero was in the central median/gutter with the Bus over it!
By the looks of it, we thought that the bus must have been doing high speeds and hit the bolero from behind. the impact must have taken both the vehicles towards the median and the bolero had toppled and then the bus has climbed over it before coming to a halt.
Lot of people had gathered and helping the injured. An ambulance arrived in the mean time and were lifting people inside.
I was driving and in the centre of all the traffic blockage and couldn't stop.
Anyone has any more info or pictures?
Old 13th October 2016, 18:00   #21978
BHPian

What's up with today? I saw at least 3 accidents today enroute to airport early morning all airport cabs. Must be the rains in morning coupled with overworked drivers.
Old 13th October 2016, 18:48   #21979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
Wrong. The Small overlap frontal test is specific to IIHS (introduced in 2012) and not a part of Global NCAP (which is heavily based on Euro NCAP) who tested the Nano. Compare the below images of the tests and you can find that the Nano is tested @ 40% overlap and the Spark @ 25% overlap.
Absolutely. The Nano Crash with the truck is a "Small Overlap" crash with most of the front still intact as visible in the photo with the post however the side has completely disappeared. The NCAP test in the following post shows a 40% frontal impact. Hence the example of the Spark with a "Small Overlap" test. Nanos and most cars sold in India are not tested for "Small Overlap" impacts yet.
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2016, 19:31   #21980
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
There was a horrible accident today morning at around 07:30 hrs close to the Kanakapura exit coming from EC side.
A company bus and Bolero pickup commercial vehicle were involved.
The Bolero was in the central median/gutter with the Bus over it!
By the looks of it, we thought that the bus must have been doing high speeds and hit the bolero from behind. the impact must have taken both the vehicles towards the median and the bolero had toppled and then the bus has climbed over it before coming to a halt.
Lot of people had gathered and helping the injured. An ambulance arrived in the mean time and were lifting people inside.
I was driving and in the centre of all the traffic blockage and couldn't stop.
Anyone has any more info or pictures?
Got the photos from one of my colleagues who was coming in the same route. The LCV driver was hurt real bad it seems. Wish he makes it through

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20161013wa0045.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20161013wa0044.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20161013wa0043.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20161013wa0042.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20161013wa0041.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20161013wa0040.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20161013wa0039.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20161013wa0038.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20161013wa0037.jpg
hemanth.anand is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th October 2016, 19:48   #21981
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Got the photos from one of my colleagues who was coming in the same route. The LCV driver was hurt real bad it seems. Wish he makes it through
Thanks for sharing the pics Hemant. Just yesterday I was driving back from work on NICE and had my father and uncle and It was easy to show them all the bad drivers on this road even at 9PM.

We were discussing how I also, despite of ranting on the road has ended up taking this road on an everyday basis only because it is a fantastic time saver (49 kms in 75 minutes even in peak hours - Combination of NICE + The "Better" Part of ORR, Door to Door!!) but the only drawback is the way people drive here.

I don't recollect a weekend that has passed by where there is no accident (involving at least one life) on NICE and no such week that sees no accidents on this road.

Coming to this accident, that Bus (from the color) doesn't look like it belonged to some Tech Giant in EC? The closest I can recall (with Prakash Coaches) is Infy but never noticed this shade till date.
Old 13th October 2016, 19:57   #21982
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Thanks for sharing the pics Hemant. Just yesterday I was driving back from work on NICE and had my father and uncle and It was easy to show them all the bad drivers on this road even at 9PM.

We were discussing how I also, despite of ranting on the road has ended up taking this road on an everyday basis only because it is a fantastic time saver (49 kms in 75 minutes even in peak hours - Combination of NICE + The "Better" Part of ORR, Door to Door!!) but the only drawback is the way people drive here.

I don't recollect a weekend that has passed by where there is no accident (involving at least one life) on NICE and no such week that sees no accidents on this road.
True that.

Quote:
Coming to this accident, that Bus (from the color) doesn't look like it belonged to some Tech Giant in EC? The closest I can recall (with Prakash Coaches) is Infy but never noticed this shade till date.
The current Infy buses are all Yellow in colour.
It seems this bus belonged to Buhler company located on Hosur road. Everybody in the bus were safe
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 08:50   #21983
Distinguished - BHPian

Passed this one on last weekend, near NIMHANS, Bangalore.

Traffic from Lalbagh was crawling at an unusual pace till I realized the reason behind it.

Name:  Etios 2.png
Views: 5487
Size:  339.4 KB

(watch the video for more clarity)

Those of you familiar with this road know that there is a Pedestrian Crossing signal here. In all probabilities, from the looks of it, it appears that the Etios braked hard to avoid jumping the signal at the last moment while the LCV carrying metal pipes tailing this Etios braked hard too.

While the LCV managed to stop in time, the badly secured pipes weren't happy - The sheer mass of these pipes is good enough to cause this when you suddenly brake. They will just rip apart those loosely tied bands and come off!

It has managed to completely destroy the Boot and push down the car to that extent. Luckily, these pipes didn't get pushed beyond the rear seats and that means there would be no fatal injuries to the occupants.
paragsachania is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 09:02   #21984
BHPian

3 innocent college students lose their lives for no mistake of theirs :(
Has happened in the heart of Chennai city yesterday.

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/c.../1/786409.html
Old 14th October 2016, 09:22   #21985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post
Sometimes, you would have these giants waking in your way when you are in their territory. Specially night time travel would be quite dangerous.
Wow! That's a great pic - Must have been pretty scary for you folks to see the elephant making a beeline at your car! What happened afterwards ? Did you back up and move out of the way or did it side track and go into the woods ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmic_ocean View Post
Animals on Indian roads are a nightmare to drivers & especially riders on 2 wheels, who bear an equal brunt as the animal in injury
Not to mention, that one has the risk of facing the ire of the local people(s) who sometimes wait for an opportunity like this to fleece money from the vehicle owners.
My friend hit a goat off kanakapura roads - nothing much happened to it, after a few mins it shook off and started ambling along. But the owner harassed my friend and took almost 4K from him. His claim, the goat will not survive more than a day or two and will die of shock. It was another matter that the goat was probably was en-route to the fair where it was to be sold for butchering - (It was few days before Bakrid). My friend, didn't have a choice and since he couldn't speak the local lingo, he coughed up and paid 4k.

Last edited by haria : 14th October 2016 at 09:29.
haria is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 09:32   #21986
Senior - BHPian

I guess the driver of either or both vehicles were drowsy. The TATA (or so it appears to me) is damaged beyond recognition!
Old 14th October 2016, 09:55   #21987

Saw this on dusshera. Those cars belong to some pretty unlucky owners
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1476419071827.jpg  

Old 14th October 2016, 09:55   #21988
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
Absolutely.
I missed the incident that you were referring to (my bad). The Nano indeed seems to have been hit at its weak spot. Severity of many accidents increase due to the way the car gets hit. Many times, a head-on collision makes the accident more survivable than a small overlap. Sad to see that the truck was having the under-run protection bar which is a rarity on our roads.
For example, in the case of Titanic, many believe that the ship would have been afloat for a much longer time, had it hit the iceberg head-on. When the iceberg side swiped the ship, half of the water tight holds were ripped open and then, there was no chance for the ship.
Old 14th October 2016, 10:26   #21989
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
For example, in the case of Titanic, many believe that the ship would have been afloat for a much longer time, had it hit the iceberg head-on. When the iceberg side swiped the ship, half of the water tight holds were ripped open and then, there was no chance for the ship.
Yes if the titanic had hit the iceberg head on rather than sideways it would have survived the sinking. On the flip side of the sinking, the quality of steel used in the titanic had high sulphur content. This coupled with the freezing Atlantic temperature made the steel highly brittle.
Old 14th October 2016, 13:09   #21990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
Wow! That's a great pic - Must have been pretty scary for you folks to see the elephant making a beeline at your car! What happened afterwards ? Did you back up and move out of the way or did it side track and go into the woods ?
Being from this part of the world (Coorg) we were not scared, but obviously cautious! When in their territory respect them, give them their right and way.

We patiently waited for 5 minutes for the whole herd to pass by. Most of the times they quietly give way. You can judge them by their appearance and decide.

However, this year there has been lot of elephant attacks on people as they venture to human territory for lack of food in forest.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20161011_121840.jpg  

LoneRidder is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed