Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2016, 18:08   #22321
RWD
BHPian

But, on second thought, the car in question (in video) doesn't look like Wagon R either. Ritz? Ertiga?
Old 29th November 2016, 18:12   #22322
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Which car is it? Doesn't look like a Wagon-R from the photo in the news link, looks like an Innova, maybe they used file image.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWD View Post
But, on second thought, the car in question (in video) doesn't look like Wagon R either. Ritz? Ertiga?
That is an Innova. I can bet on it. The length of the car can be made out in the video. And seeing the way the Loaded goods carrier was thrown around for nearly 360deg, it looks like the car should have carried enough weight and momentum to demolish the good carrier and all the water/liquid it was carrying. The WagonR would not have been able to achieve this feat.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2016, 18:43   #22323
BHPian

It is an Innova Crysta. The distinctive shape of the head lights can be seen on pausing the video.
shaktisarangi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2016, 18:45   #22324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
That is an Innova. I can bet on it. The length of the car can be made out in the video. And seeing the way the Loaded goods carrier was thrown around for nearly 360deg, it looks like the car should have carried enough weight and momentum to demolish the good carrier and all the water/liquid it was carrying. The WagonR would not have been able to achieve this feat.
The news article says there were 10 people in the car which makes me think it could be an Innova that met with accident.
Old 29th November 2016, 18:54   #22325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravimathi View Post
CCTV footage of a road accident that happened on November 5th, 2016 in Siruvachur, Tamil Nadu. Unable to get more information on this but looks like a fatal one. Because of the negligence of both the drivers, an old man who was crossing the road got hit by water cans. Hope he is ok. From the video, it looks like the car was driven at very high speed which the driver couldn't control.
By the looks of the old man crossing, I am almost convinced that he is not okay. But that apart, I cannot help notice the driver and passenger from the milk van, quietly walk away from the scene. In fact one person returns, picks something (probably mobile) and again jogs off hurriedly. I hope they at least called an ambulance when they were walking away.

I am still wondering about how the driver and passenger of the milk van were able to stand on their feet after a heavy 360* hit? Inertia? Trauma? Possible internal injuries?

Last edited by petrolhead_chn : 29th November 2016 at 19:04. Reason: Added few thoughts.
Old 29th November 2016, 18:57   #22326
RWD
BHPian

Quote:
That is an Innova. I can bet on it. The length of the car can be made out in the video.
I'm inclined to agree with you. The aspect ratio of the video is messed up. It's like 4:3 footage is squeezed into 1:1. The car is actually longer than it appears in the video. Having said that, to my eyes it looks more like Innova Crysta to be precise. Right before the impact, the rear end of the car, rising window line and wraparound taillamps, make it look like Crysta. I could be wrong though, as the increased contrast in the video is giving objects a black outline.
RWD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2016, 18:59   #22327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravimathi View Post
CCTV footage of a road accident that happened on November 5th, 2016 in Siruvachur, Tamil Nadu.

Thanks,
Ravi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post

True that the wagon r could have slowed down. But all intersections prior to this one (toll gate, padalur etc) have barricades.
And i don't think that car was over speeding. 100-120kmph, but then its a blunder to do at an intersection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
That is still not an excuse to be honest.

If that WagonR driver was any attentive:

Of course the milk van is to blame too but the WagonR just didn't slow down a bit as if it was simulated crash that happens inside a crash test facility!
Horrible accident! That isn't a WagonR for sure! Most likely an Innova Crysta. MPV dimensions, plus the image just after the crash shows long bonnet.
Moreover, no one could have survived such a horrific accident in a WagonR.

The Innova driver shouldn't have been doing those speeds at such an intersection. We all know how unpredictable these milk carriers,etc. are, along with a host of other such village traffic that darts into intersections throwing caution to wind. It was the carrier's fault to not look while crossing, but still.
Old 29th November 2016, 19:20   #22328
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan24 View Post
Horrible accident! That isn't a WagonR for sure! Most likely an Innova Crysta. MPV dimensions, plus the image just after the crash shows long bonnet.
Moreover, no one could have survived such a horrific accident in a WagonR.
Agreed! A while before I was having a discussion with audioholic on how the rear quarter panel glass' shape was giving all hints that It wasn't the WagonR when watched in Slo-mo.

However horrible that Delivery van was, as a driver of a fast car on a highway where I get enough visible hints mentioned in my earlier post, I would indeed slow down.

Moreover, when that delivery van came out of that road and crossed one side of the carriageway, that Innova on the fast lane didn't even notice something heading that way?

There are no bushes, nor is this a curved road to have missed spotting that coming out.

From the video it appears way too careless and inattentive on part of that driver passing that intersection at such speeds.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th November 2016, 19:26   #22329
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That is still not an excuse to be honest.

!
I am in no way justifying the driver of the wagon r/ innova.

I am just trying to understand why he didn't slow down, even a bit. Looks like he may have been fidgeting with something or dozed off or must have been drunk.

Anyways, relieved to know that no lives were lost.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 29th November 2016 at 19:28.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2016, 19:29   #22330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is an Innova. I can bet on it.
True, @0:42 you can see the length of the vehicle, when it is 90 degree to the road, has to be a MPV. Definitely not a Wagon-R.

EDIT: That guy nearly got run over by the pickup truck.

Last edited by ecenandu : 29th November 2016 at 19:53.
Old 29th November 2016, 20:00   #22331
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWD View Post
To me it looks like the Mahindra KUV from the screen grab. The rear 3 quarter points to this.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-car.jpg
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2016, 22:02   #22332
BHPian

Quote:
Moreover, when that delivery van came out of that road and crossed one side of the carriageway, that Innova on the fast lane didn't even notice something heading that way?

There are no bushes, nor is this a curved road to have missed spotting that coming out.

From the video it appears way too careless and inattentive on part of that driver passing that intersection at such speeds.
While i agree that the innova driver should have slowed down, is it possible to assume that the innova driver may have got distracted by the 2 fast cars ie one hatchback & a sedan which crossed the delivery van seconds before crash. maybe a blindspot from innova drivers seat?
Also video shows that the delivery van driver was alert to traffic coming from his right side, ie hatchback and a sedan , but stepped on the gas once they passed ignoring traffic coming from left. this happens so often on indian roads where the driver fails to check traffic from both ways while approaching /crossing intersections.
its like crossing a 2 way railway line illegally after checking for approaching train from one side, only to get run over by the one coming from other side
jaspal singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2016, 23:37   #22333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
To me it looks like the Mahindra KUV from the screen grab. The rear 3 quarter points to this.

Attachment 1580236
Again, no one in a KUV could've survived such a brutal impact. The momentum the car carried points to a heavier vehicle, seeing how the carrier was spun around. The KUV isn't so long either.
Rohan24 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2016, 07:19   #22334
Senior - BHPian

The Car in the CCTV and news report sure is an Innova Crysta.
I'm sure the old man got hit real bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
I drive by that spot every day.
Is it on Trichy-Chennai Highway?
Quote:
And i don't think that car was over speeding. 100-120kmph, but then its a blunder to do at an intersection.
At the intersection, I would be doing slowing down. If there are no people (or people are waiting), pass the intersection at 60-70 kmph.

I think it's very important to build grade separated flyovers at such densely populated towns. Makes life easy for everyone, including the annoying bus driver who wants to pick up passengers everywhere.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2016, 08:07   #22335
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post

Is it on Trichy-Chennai Highway?

Yes, that particular spot is 45 km from Trichy near Perambalur, towards Chennai.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed