Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2016, 08:27   #22366
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
And video says "speeding car." What speeding car?
Exactly!! The speed is shown in the very bottom of the video. The car was doing 7 kmph as the biker begins to fall over.

Last edited by darklord : 5th December 2016 at 08:28.
Old 5th December 2016, 09:55   #22367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Slow speed saved the biker.
I liked the background music!

As the name suggests (speeding car) the music too is nicely sensationalised
LoneRidder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2016, 12:05   #22368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Attached is a pic of the crash of the mighty S-class. The driver died on the spot. I am sure you are never going travel in an S-class now.

Attachment 1581971

Let people here first understand what safe driving is and how important having a car with safety features like abs,airbags.etc.

We as automobile enthusiasts first need to clear our misconceptions about safe drivers and safe cars. And by safe cars I mean the actual safe cars and not the ones judged by their kerb weight.
I agree with you. while the man behind the wheel on a kerb light weight car can be a safe driver, a car with inherent safety features can be driven in the most unsafe manner causing distress to self and others. So, the car and the monkey behind the wheel has to be considered as a total system as safe or not and not the car alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Very sure that he was a skilled rider, but then we tend to think we are invincible. He thinks he doesnt need a helmet because he can be safe.I thought so when i was in my early 20s until i saw my face rubbing against mud when i fell from my Karizma R. I was lucky to learn the lesson and live to implement it. I wish he too would!
Kudos! Many people advise but very few share their own mistakes in order to educate others. Your introspection is admirable!

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by SDP : 5th December 2016 at 12:27. Reason: merging back to back posts
Old 5th December 2016, 12:58   #22369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravimathi View Post
CCTV footage of a road accident that happened on November 5th, 2016 in Siruvachur, Tamil Nadu. Unable to get more information on this but looks like a fatal one. Because of the negligence of both the drivers, an old man who was crossing the road got hit by water cans. Hope he is ok. From the video, it looks like the car was driven at very high speed which the driver couldn't control.
The Car driver did not slow down on seeing the white zebra markings, which should be visible from far off. All the same, the minitruck crossing the main road is also callous. Look at the driver and co driver of the minitruck. They quietly ran away from the accident spot. The Chennai Trichy highway is a pleasure to drive between Villupuram and Perambalur. After Chengalpat till Villupuram is reasonbly good to drive. But between Perambalur and Trichy, one should be very careful. You can expect all sort of nonsense including vehicles coming in the wrong lane, vehicles crossing from X roads without looking out for main traffic, passenger getting down from stopped bus trying to cross the road without looking out, etc.

Last edited by ampere : 5th December 2016 at 17:43. Reason: Removed video link from quoted post
alavandar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2016, 15:42   #22370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post

Personally, I follow the habit of letting go of the throttle and keeping foot ready on the brake in any intersection once I spot a gap in the median. Though however empty it is and how good the visibility might be, you can always expect all sorts of surprises from dogs till huge trailers. First hit the brake, and then think of steering. Holding speed when there is a gap in a median in Indian roads is a suicidal move

Hi

Very well said and a sensible thing to do.

I however, fear people jumping onto the fast lane, even if there is a median.
Indian roads and highways are not closed highways, like in the west. Here we have all kinds of animals and brain devoid humans who feel the compelling urge to cross the road and jump into the road from the median, without looking for oncoming vehicles.

And nowadays many medians have bushes and trees planted (obviously to avoid glare at night), so as to offer these people a cover where they can hide and then jump out at the most inopportune moment!.

Sad to see such accidents, and its just scary how lives are lost and accidents happen in a blink of any eye!.

Only one solution, drive as slow as practically possible, without holding up traffic and never let your guard down or concentration waver when driving.

Cheerio
alphadog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2016, 16:04   #22371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alavandar View Post
But between Perambalur and Trichy, one should be very careful. You can expect all sort of nonsense including vehicles coming in the wrong lane, vehicles crossing from X roads without looking out for main traffic, passenger getting down from stopped bus trying to cross the road without looking out, etc.
This is the problem with all the highways/expressways created here in India. They allow vehicles to reach and maintain 100~150km/hr easily. But their design is so poor at intersections and one can expect any surprise.

This becomes worse during night drive and one has to be at utmost caution during such times.

It becomes worst when there is a rain. No matter it is during daytime or night.
Old 5th December 2016, 19:31   #22372
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Personally, I follow the habit of letting go of the throttle and keeping foot ready on the brake. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog View Post
Very well said and a sensible thing to do.

I however, fear people jumping onto the fast lane, even if there is a median.
Words from echo from one of my driving gurus. Hazard or even potential hazard? "cover the brake." Even if you don't need to press it, the foot is already there.

A hint from me is to just touch the pedal enough to light the brake lights. It communicates to those behind you that may slow down.

People climbing medians frighten me. I always regard them as a hazard. The people behind me hate that!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th December 2016, 01:35   #22373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayvelprakash View Post
This is the problem with all the highways/expressways created here in India. They allow vehicles to reach and maintain 100~150km/hr easily. But their design is so poor at intersections and one can expect any surprise.

This becomes worse during night drive and one has to be at utmost caution during such times.

It becomes worst when there is a rain. No matter it is during daytime or night.
Two issues, One, Design at intersections are poor, Two, The attitude/ awareness/ responsibility level / maturity / alertness of drivers are below par. Further aggravated by poor implementation of rules.
alavandar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2016, 09:53   #22374
BHPian

3 killed, 20 injured after car jumps traffic signal

Quote:
Kolkata:
Three persons were killed and 20 others, including nine children, seriously injured today when a private car jumped the traffic signal before hitting two bikers and several pedestrians here. The speeding car, jumped a red signal near the AJC Bose Road - Belvedere Road crossing near the Police Training School this afternoon, and hit two bikers, police said.
http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...jured-car.html
LoneRidder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2016, 21:22   #22375
BHPian

Two killed, 5 injured near Ernakulam

Link to the article:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/55818371.cms

Quote:
The bus lost control and hit the SUV before colliding with the bike. The SUV and the bike got crushed in the accident. The vehicle had to be broke open to rescue those who were trapped inside.
My friend was in this bus when it happened. The KSRTC bus was on the way to Ernakulam from Kottayam. From what he told me, the bus was speeding, lost control on the bridge and crashed into an oncoming vehicle. The report says its an SUV, but my friend thinks it was a Tavera/Qualis. The bus proceeded to scrape the railing of the bridge, ran over a bike coming behind the SUV and crashed onto a tree/post. A few passengers suffered bruises to their foreheads/noses. Seems the driver immediately got down, flagged down an oncoming bike and fled the spot.

Last edited by GeneralJazz : 6th December 2016 at 21:23.
GeneralJazz is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2016, 08:54   #22376
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Skids? Looks to me like he just fell over. Drunk or about as good on two wheels as I would be?
And video says "speeding car." What speeding car?
Yeah, speeding through crowded city roads without concern for others' life at 7km/h
By the way, did anybody notice the Innova which emerged out of the left lane, driving opposite to the traffic and merged into the other side?
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2016, 11:41   #22377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
By the way, did anybody notice the Innova which emerged out of the left lane, driving opposite to the traffic and merged into the other side?
Indica first and then an Innova!
Old 7th December 2016, 12:39   #22378
BHPian

Looks like the girls school seems to have an IR Security Camera pointed at the junction. They must be seeing a lot of action at this roundabout. It's the IR whiteout in the middle mounted on a post. I could be wrong though, might be some other device as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
Yeah, speeding through crowded city roads without concern for others' life at 7km/h
Old 8th December 2016, 16:14   #22379
Distinguished - BHPian

Kolkata Car Accident: Shocking CCTV Visuals Out
Quote:
Shocking CCTV footage of Kolkata car accident accessed by TIMES NOW shows how a speeding car killed 3 people in broad daylight in one of the worst accidents this year.

The accident took place when a speeding car jumped a red light near the AJC Bose Road - Belvedere Road crossing near the Police Training School and hit two bikers.

The vehicle then mounted the footpath and knocked down 7 pedestrians.

Reports suggest that the driver was under the influence of alcohol when he lost control and hit other vehicles.

The incident has left the driver- Saroj Kumar Banik (37) who was driving a Volkswagen Jetta - seriously injured too. He is presently unconscious and admitted at SSKM along with the other injured.
http://www.timesnow.tv/india/video/k...edium=Facebook

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 8th December 2016 at 16:17.
Old 8th December 2016, 16:44   #22380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Kolkata Car Accident: Shocking CCTV Visuals Out

http://www.timesnow.tv/india/video/k...edium=Facebook
This infuriates me beyond anything, as if diseases and 'accidental' accidents are not enough, DUI and taking innocent lives. Capital punishment should be imposed to such people.

Most Viewed