Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2016, 10:35   #22456
BANNED

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

May the departed soul RIP.
Versys went off the road and hit something real hard. So is the Daytona; which was following the Versys and hit the Alto quite hard. Doesn't it sound like a street racing going wrong?
Driving is all about intuition, either the riders were too fast to stop in time or the Alto guy just tried a sudden and real quick U turn. I don't know who was at 'more' fault, but I am sure that all the parties involved in the crash have done a considerable part here.

Last edited by VKumar : 19th December 2016 at 10:38.
VKumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 11:02   #22457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
May the departed soul RIP.
Driving is all about intuition, either the riders were too fast to stop in time or the Alto guy just tried a sudden and real quick U turn. I don't know who was at 'more' fault, but I am sure that all the parties involved in the crash have done a considerable part here.
Couldn't agree more. There should be a sense of responsibility when we venture out on the roads. Be it driving a car, riding a bike or walking on the road.
Looking at the damage done to the Alto, it's obvious that the bike was indeed doing good speeds when it hit the car. Also, we can't deny the possibility that the Alto driver took the turn all of a sudden or without any indication.

Here is another incident from Mumbai: http://abpmajha.abplive.in/mumbai/bi...e-death-331564
The news is in Marathi, but it says the bike stunt has gone bad and two of the bikes collided head-on and one of the bike caught fire. One guy lost his life and other two are seriously injured.
Old 19th December 2016, 11:29   #22458
BHPian

High Speed XUV accident on the Hyderabad ORR from today's TOI Newspaper

They say that the car was travelling at a very high speed. Link to article below:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/56057059.cms
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-capture.jpg  

Last edited by bigben : 19th December 2016 at 11:32.
bigben is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 13:55   #22459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan24 View Post
That looks like quite an impact, from the damage! Must have been doing decent speeds.
The fact that the occupants escaped with minor injuries speaks a lot about the Fiat's crash safety! Front has crumpled well, it appears.
There could be lots of factors involved which we don't know.
There are numerous instances in similar other incidents where the involved car's passenger cage were fully opened up or flattened in similar front end collisions with a bus or truck.

But having taken a frontal impact from such a heavy bus (relative to the weight of the car) and remaining in one piece says a lot about the structural integrity of the car (solid passenger cage and crumple zones around).

Fiat's design philosophy about building solid cars and its commitment to provide the level of solidity to the Indian market needs to be appreciated.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 19th December 2016 at 14:00.
for_cars1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 14:14   #22460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
An accident in Kollam today. The car was taking a U turn. The Versys guy went off the road and crashed trying to avoid the car. The Daytona trailing the Versys hit the car. Sadly the Versys driver lost his life on the way to hospital. The car driver has sustained some injuries too.
I know the guy who lost his life. He is a good friend and a promoter of safe driving. He has been a rider for 30+ years. We are all shocked by his death.He was a family man and rides with all safety gears. The whole group is known to Trivandrum . The Alto was on the wrong side and it was sudden.
commonman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 14:36   #22461
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonman View Post
I know the guy who lost his life. He is a good friend and a promoter of safe driving. He has been a rider for 30+ years. We are all shocked by his death.He was a family man and rides with all safety gears. The whole group is known to Trivandrum . The Alto was on the wrong side and it was sudden.
This crash reminded me of a safety video that talks about how just a few kilometers per hour difference makes a huge difference.

bblost is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 17:17   #22462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkulkarni.2106 View Post
Here is another incident from Mumbai: http://abpmajha.abplive.in/mumbai/bi...e-death-331564
The news is in Marathi, but it says the bike stunt has gone bad and two of the bikes collided head-on and one of the bike caught fire. One guy lost his life and other two are seriously injured.
This is a common problem at Bandra Reclamation over the weekend especially late in the evening. These local kids gather with their bikes and ride extremely rashly up and down the Reclamation route. They are often racing one another even while riding in the wrong direction.
Old 19th December 2016, 21:22   #22463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
This crash reminded me of a safety video that talks about how just a few kilometers per hour difference makes a huge difference.
True, slowing down does matter, and I would also add the Mind/Brain matters more, which will actually slow you down in the first place.

During accidents, there is literally no time to analyze the situation. For someone who knows a bit of cognitive science, such tricky situations are like solving math sums, in a competitive examination(extreme time constraints).

A person who has practice, can just glide through the math problems presented to him, without using a lot of his analytical part/System 2 of the mind. He will use a pattern matching kinda thinking to approach the problem.

Practicing anything a lot makes a person train his System 1/ Instinctive mind using System 2/Analytical mind. One more important factor for the System 1 to work flawlessly, even if you have loads of track and road experience on your bike/car is the Short Term memory or Associative Memory or RAM.
You will be having a bad day, when your Short Term memory is preoccupied with some random stuff and the pattern recognizing 'RAM' is NOT engaged during that critical moment, even if you are a Rossi/Hamilton.

So to conclude, never go bonkers on your bike/car if you are a bit rusty. Even if you are not rusty, always remember, the System 1 is NOT trustworthy and will always crave for some unwanted attention. Keep it slow EVERY TIME, unless it is a 'fight or flight' situation, like a dog chasing you on your bike

Last edited by bblost : 19th December 2016 at 21:32. Reason: Removed embedded video.
shree_shell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 22:10   #22464
BHPian

As you talked about cognitive science here. I am curious if NFS which is close to simulation environment would really help the reflexes. I know the difference between real world and the reel do anyone think playing computer has some sort of impact on reflexes.
Old 19th December 2016, 22:25   #22465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shree_shell View Post
like a dog chasing you on your bike
Long time back, when I used to return on my bike to my erstwhile home in Bangalore, the dogs used to chase my bike if it happened to be late in the night. I used to speed up to get away, and came close to losing balance and falling a couple of times, since most of the focus used to be on the dogs instead of driving. Until a friend told me to simply stop when dogs give chase and face the dogs. He said the dogs would stop if the bike stops. I did not believe him and was pretty sure that the dogs would pounce on me if I stopped. Since the said friend kept pestering me, I decided to try this one night when he happened to be sitting pillion. Amazingly, the dogs stopped just like he had said. After that, I tried multiple times alone as well, and everytime I stopped and faced the dogs, they stopped. The key here is to face the dogs.

I hope this helps someone avoid a dangerous situation or accident.

Disclaimer: The above technique is not expected to work on rabid dogs.

Last edited by mustang_shelby : 19th December 2016 at 22:28.
mustang_shelby is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 22:31   #22466
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
As you talked about cognitive science here. I am curious if NFS which is close to simulation environment would really help the reflexes. I know the difference between real world and the reel do anyone think playing computer has some sort of impact on reflexes.
Two things are involved here.
How accurate is the simulation? How close it is to real world scenario?

Talking about reflexes, how close is the experience to the real life scenario?

The first question will answer the training of the System 1.

The second will answer how well the experience learnt by playing on the Simulator, will help the motion of body parts/reflexes.
It won't help your cause if you are using your keyboard. It won't help much to train the brain/CPU, if you are using an inaccurate Gaming Steering/ Pedal setup.

The best idea I can correlate with this is the F1 Simulators. They are having all sort of actuators and fancy gadgets to emulate the real life scenario.
With all that tech, it might still lack the exertion and fatigue caused due to the G Forces.

Hence, yes, playing NFS will help you train 'playing NFS' but not your reflexes, unless you have some contact with McLaren F1. But again that will train your associative memory on F1 track and not on a Ladakh expedition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_shelby View Post
Long time back, when I used to return on my bike to my erstwhile home in Bangalore, the dogs used to chase my bike if it happened to be late in the night. I used to speed up to get away, and came close to losing balance and falling a couple of times, since most of the focus used to be on the dogs instead of driving. Until a friend told me to simply stop when dogs give chase and face the dogs. He said the dogs would stop if the bike stops. I did not believe him and was pretty sure that the dogs would pounce on me if I stopped. Since the said friend kept pestering me, I decided to try this one night when he happened to be sitting pillion. Amazingly, the dogs stopped just like he had said. After that, I tried multiple times alone as well, and everytime I stopped and faced the dogs, they stopped. The key here is to face the dogs.

I hope this helps someone avoid a dangerous situation or accident.

Disclaimer: The above technique is not expected to work on rabid dogs.
Oh boy! No, that statement was implied in a figurative sense, more of a pun.

But yeah, your solution works.

Last edited by SDP : 20th December 2016 at 09:32. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 20th December 2016, 12:45   #22467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonman View Post
He is a good friend and a promoter of safe driving. He has been a rider for 30+ years. He was a family man and rides with all safety gears. The Alto was on the wrong side and it was sudden.
Sometimes accidents occur without any fault of yours. This happened last Saturday. I was driving towards Mysore. As always I found herds of two wheelers going on the weekend rides. Generally they would stick to the left corner of the road maintaining a decent speed of around 80~100.

I am not sure what suddenly happened, this chap had overtaken me a minute back (obviously from left), and near this junction, I find him T-boning a Tata-Ace in the right side of the road. Fortunately, he was able to stand and move.

This whole stretch is notorious for cross roads and infamous for the speed breaks.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident.jpg  

Old 21st December 2016, 00:09   #22468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
No idea what the reporter was smoking, it's Avventura not Xylo. Occupants escaped with minor injuries.

http://www.daijiworld.com/news/news_...sp?n_id=428245
Apparently, they realized their mistake that it wasn't the xylo. Now the website mentions "the accident was the result of head on collision of KSRTC bus and a ford car"

The Ford Avventura

Nice to see the passenger cabin somewhat holding up well in spite of the front end being in such bad shape. It seems the front doors were also in openable state, at least partially. Practically no damage seen beyond the B pillar.

Last edited by Night Raven : 21st December 2016 at 00:21. Reason: adding more text
Night Raven is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2016, 00:16   #22469
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Raven View Post
Apparently, they realized their mistake that it wasn't the xylo. Now the website mentions "the accident was the result of head on collision of KSRTC bus and a ford car"

The Ford Avventura
This is heights

I guess they do not even know that Fiat cars exist in India. Anyways the car has taken the impact well and saved the occupants.
Old 21st December 2016, 00:37   #22470
BHPian

Hope the brand FIAT is alive to keep others alive. It did take the crash well. I can vouch that the taxi driver will go for another Fiat.

Most Viewed