Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2017, 09:41   #22606
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Today morning, while on my way to office, on the service road under the Bommasandra flyover, I saw a heavily damaged swift dzire cab kept on the road side. On my right, I could see the median also heavily damaged for quite some distance (may be 50ft). it is one of those 1.5feet concrete kind of "strong" medians.
It was clear that the reason could be one of the following three reasons

1. The taxi driver would've tried a fast overtake move without knowing that the median exists.
2. The driver miscalculated an overtake move and he couldn't come back to his lane as planned.
3. DUI.

I haven't yet fixed the dashcam on my new car so couldn't take pictures.
Old 16th January 2017, 09:50   #22607
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Today morning, while on my way to office, on the service road under the Bommasandra flyover, I saw a heavily damaged swift dzire cab kept on the road side. On my right, I could see the median also heavily damaged for quite some distance (may be 50ft). it is one of those 1.5feet concrete kind of "strong" medians.
It was clear that the reason could be one of the following three reasons

1. The taxi driver would've tried a fast overtake move without knowing that the median exists.
2. The driver miscalculated an overtake move and he couldn't come back to his lane as planned.
3. DUI.

I haven't yet fixed the dashcam on my new car so couldn't take pictures.
Regular affair for these guys who want to take the exit at the last moment thinking that the people who are already on the exit lane would give them space to fit. Hence they try to accelerate and then nudge into some gap available. Works sometimes when there is a calm driver on the other side who would slow down and let him pass. Get a bus or TT there who is again happily coasting down to the exit uninterested in slowing down, and the cab driver would have realised that he would crash and do some maneuver to save himself from crashing and this happens.

This is a usual affair even in KR Pura bridge where majority of the traffic wants to go below the bridge. Even buses and T Ts try this trick of rushing down till the point where the median begins and then cut into the lane. Many instances I have noticed them almost crashing into the median when they realise they dont have a gap to cut into.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2017, 09:56   #22608
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Regular affair for these guys who want to take the exit at the last moment thinking that the people who are already on the exit lane would give them space to fit. Hence they try to accelerate and then nudge into some gap available. Works sometimes when there is a calm driver on the other side who would slow down and let him pass. Get a bus or TT there who is again happily coasting down to the exit uninterested in slowing down, and the cab driver would have realised that he would crash and do some maneuver to save himself from crashing and this happens.

This is a usual affair even in KR Pura bridge where majority of the traffic wants to go below the bridge. Even buses and T Ts try this trick of rushing down till the point where the median begins and then cut into the lane. Many instances I have noticed them almost crashing into the median when they realise they dont have a gap to cut into.
You are right but this particular case was not at the exit. After the exit and after some distance on the service road, there is a median for a short distance just before the junction exactly under the flyover. but yes same behaviour as you told. I just hope it was not the case of another vehicle letting him pass because in that case even that would have suffered damages
Old 16th January 2017, 11:56   #22609
Senior - BHPian

An accident has occurred at the railway under bridge in Kumarapark. The underbridge that is in between Nehru circle and Shivananda circle. The Swift has been moved to the side of railway parallel road. The damage indicates reasonable speed crash. The glass shattered at passenger side windshield looks bad. Looks more like a person without seatbelt caused it. Couldn't find any other vehicle around. Don't know if other vehicle absconded or the Swift hit the bridge itself. There was some debris just before beginning of the bridge(Nehru circle to Shivananda side lane)

Possibilities are:

- Swift came from Nehrunagar side at a good speed and crashed up/into something. More likely cause in my opinion. Its possible that Swift was speeding and he suddenly sees some vehicle coming from railway parallel road and taking a left to under bridge, and swift guy panicked and crashed.
- Swift came from Railway Parallel road descending at a good speed and crashed into up/into something. [Less likely. The road is so bad that by time he picks up speed, some pothole would have consumed the car or toppled it. Its that bad.]

Note: Pics clicked by me only. The traffic was moving too slowly as everyone were interested to know what happened as there were many onlookers. When I clicked pics, my car was stand still.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-09e4cee89059451f9c8689b9f7ae6b83.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-c5601c6cdf58447aad46d9838717ef61.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-caca5ed7b5444fa5b15ac67aee333c2b.jpg  

Last edited by funkykar : 16th January 2017 at 11:57.
funkykar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2017, 15:36   #22610
BHPian

This happened on the 14th near Malappuram, Kerala. The driver lost control of the lorry near a busy junction, hitting 13 vehicles. One bike rider lost his life.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot-135_edited.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot-142_edited.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot-141_edited.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot-139_edited.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot-138_edited.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot-140_edited.jpg

Pics received in Whatsapp.

Last edited by deerhunter : 16th January 2017 at 15:49.
deerhunter is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th January 2017, 15:53   #22611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This happened on the 14th near Malappuram, Kerala. The driver lost control of the lorry near a busy junction, hitting 13 vehicles. One bike rider lost his life.
Holy crap this is quite scary, considering the fact that I returned from a weekend trip to Wayanad.

Even an iota of basic road manners are absent from many of the motorists here, and I am not even referring to those Kerala Buses and Tempos

I had to swerve dangerously twice to avoid idiots trying to overtake a vehicle at a blind curve, and they hardly slowed down even while passing me

As an insult to injury, I also had to panic break once when one of the two wheeler decided to greet his acquaintance in the middle of the road and pulled over almost horizontally!!

Last edited by Vik0728 : 16th January 2017 at 15:55.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2017, 19:58   #22612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I don't know about you, but I am a far more mature + calmer driver now than when I was 18 - 20. Am sure it applies to a majority of folk out there.
You might be. But it doesn't guarantee that you'll be mature + calmer under the influence. That's what i said. Irrespective of age, Alcohol + Driving is dangerous. Peace.
Old 17th January 2017, 07:35   #22613
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
An accident has occurred at the railway under bridge in Kumarapark. The underbridge that is in between Nehru circle and Shivananda circle.
Apparently, there was one casualty, the driver who passed away.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20170117-07.33.10.png

The Swift hit the pole of the level crossing as per this report.

Source - Deccan Herald

Last edited by paragsachania : 17th January 2017 at 07:43.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 08:33   #22614
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

Attachment 1596267

Source - Deccan Herald
The speed should have been pretty high for a person to be killed on hitting a pole. And I bet no seatbelts either. What a pity! These days more cars are getting into the hands of some people with no knowledge of roads and rules, forget safety features and in the coming years, I am not seeing any reduction in the number of accidents.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 11:38   #22615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1596267

Source - Deccan Herald
Thank you. I noticed debris still lying near that pole yesterday evening when I passed by again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
The speed should have been pretty high for a person to be killed on hitting a pole. And I bet no seatbelts either. What a pity! These days more cars are getting into the hands of some people with no knowledge of roads and rules, forget safety features and in the coming years, I am not seeing any reduction in the number of accidents.
Yes. To hit that pole, the driver really had to be reasonably fast. Also, the road leading up to the pole isn't smooth and feels a bit bumpy. He had to also pass the Nehrunagar circle. On an average, even the people who naturally drive fast, wouldn't speed to this extent passing the under bridge. I wonder if it was a DUI that hasn't been mentioned in the article.

Last edited by funkykar : 17th January 2017 at 11:52.
funkykar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 22:10   #22616
BHPian

I was this close from getting featured on this thread.

There is some kind of digging work going on on the Manjeera pipeline road at Hafeezpet. Those of you who are not very familiar with this area, two lanes of this 4-lane road are elevated (I guess there is a pipeline beneath). This elevation acts as a divider. Because of the digging, the road is closed in one direction. So now everybody uses only one side of the road for both to and fro.

So here I am at 7pm coming back home. On my left side is the elevated wall. And on my right is oncoming traffic. I must be at 30-35kmph. It is quite dark. I can see a 2 wheeler coming in the opposite direction, but I don't give it much attention. Suddenly, when it is about one car length away from me, the guy skids and falls. His pillion rider (an aged lady) lands on her head, right in my path!! I distinctly remember seeing her face in the area illuminated by my lights. I instinctively honk and try to steer away from the lady, towards the wall. It all happened in seconds. I must be few cms away from the wall when I stopped. And sitting in my car seat, I could see the lady lying in front of me, but her head was hidden from my vision. It appeared I had run over her! But then I peep out from the window and see that I am atleast 5-10 cms away from her. Took me couple of seconds to comprehend what happened. Wife prompted me to go and help her. I then regain senses. Helped the old man who skid because he saw a pothole in front of him. He is mumbling something in Telugu, but thankfully he isn't blaming me for anything. He is shaken but is fine. We then pick up the old lady (presumably his wife). She seemed to have sprained her hand - she landed on her hand to save her head. A crowd was slowly gathering and before somebody thinks that this happened because of me, I excuse myself. It looked like the old man could take care of her.

I look back at my car and realize how lucky I was - few cms away from the wall on one side, and few cms away from the lady on the other side.

Lessons learnt -

* I am always slow at this stretch. Except sometimes. Now there will be absolutely no exceptions. I can be late, but I'll never go beyond 30-35kmph here.

* My belief in karma is reinforced. I generally drive quite defensively (atleast I feel so ). I must have given way to countless people so far, and those brownie points must be the reason I got lucky today. I'll now need to earn the points that I paid for luck today.

Last edited by shifu : 17th January 2017 at 22:19.
shifu is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 23:37   #22617
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Oh, for goodness sake! Now people don't even need trains to help kill themselves at crossings

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
I was this close from getting featured on this thread.
Terrifying experience. So glad you managed to stop the car. And that you could drive again afterwards: I think I'd be shaking like a leaf.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 09:06   #22618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Terrifying experience. So glad you managed to stop the car. And that you could drive again afterwards: I think I'd be shaking like a leaf.
Oh, I was. But having my wife with me helped me regain my composure. Women are certainly made different!!
shifu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 16:28   #22619
PGA
BHPian

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-16114714_1394253520619947_9116018303654064964_n.jpg

First Ford Mustang in Chandigarh and blown
PGA is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2017, 17:33   #22620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGA View Post
Here's the article describing the Mustang accident.

http://www.drivespark.com/off-beat/f...er-020155.html
Prodigy07 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks