Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2017, 12:54   #22741
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
....Alternatively, take a close look at the right rear tyre - it looks like it might have burst.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
You are right. Even I thought that the tyre burst could be the reason for this. But for a tall vehicle like this to do a 180 degree flip, I felt that there should be something more. falling on its side wouldn't have surprised me.
Maybe the tyre burst-lost control-crossed the drain in the centre from the opposite direction and landed on the oncoming lane.
But rarely do we get to see a a vehicle turned turtle on the middle of the road. Normally it occurs when they are on the kerb or edge of a road due to overloading.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 8th February 2019 at 10:20. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
Old 1st February 2017, 13:34   #22742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
You are right. Even I thought that the tyre burst could be the reason for this. But for a tall vehicle like this to do a 180 degree flip, I felt that there should be something more. falling on its side wouldn't have surprised me.
For a tall vehicle, the stability will be less compared to short vehicles with more width. When a Tyre bursts, due to the difference in apparent radius of the tires and thus the difference in speed of tires (Left and right), the vehicle tends to turn left or right.

Due to its shift in the center of gravity to outside of the vehicle due to difference in height on left and right side, the vehicle falls down.

Even after falling on one of its side, if the vehicle is at high speed, the momentum would not have zeroed down. Hence, Due to the remaining momentum, the energy still forces the vehicle to turn in the same direction of rotation along its axis and hence it topples upside down.

If the remaining energy is not enough to topple the vehicle upside down, then, the vehicle tends to topple but returns to side position

Last edited by gkveda : 1st February 2017 at 13:35.
gkveda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 10:07   #22743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
https://www.facebook.com/dukeshiva/p...55016126089357)
But I suspect it was the bullbar that impacted the airbag triggering.
From the pictures on FB it looks like the vehicle skidded and T-Boned itself on the railing corner that is or was there on its left. In such a situation curtain airbags are supposed to deploy if available. Attached another angle from the FB post. The continuation of the concrete railing seems to be missing in the front, probably broken from impact.

Bull bars on any vehicle are a bad and unscientific idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-16406742_10155016125339357_6501543908768223785_n.jpg  

Old 2nd February 2017, 11:00   #22744
BHPian

This happened last night on a busy road. The road is about 80 feet wide on either side. A woman walking with 2 of her kids on the side of the road were hit by the car and her 10 year daughter old died on the spot. And the vehicle ended up climbing over a 2 feet high divider.
Note the bull bar in front, Dunno if she would have survived even without it - but the presence of this killer 'bumper protector' would have done nothing to help her.
The dodo who filed a PIL to ban sunfilms must instead be asked to do something about this instead. As an afterthought, Can lawyers and others amongst us discuss the possibility of doing this ? I think many of us would willingly pitch in for the cost involved.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-xylo_acc.jpg  

WasavaTyres is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 12:05   #22745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
The dodo who filed a PIL to ban sunfilms must instead be asked to do something about this instead. As an afterthought, Can lawyers and others amongst us discuss the possibility of doing this ? I think many of us would willingly pitch in for the cost involved.
I will strongly vote for a PIL for pedestrian safety - to ban all after market accessories like Bull Bars, side steps that jut outside vehicles. It is crazy to see even 1510 Tata trucks owned by sand mafia having bullbars - they think it is a cosmetic add on. In addition they compromise Airbag like active safety devices as well for the occupants of vehicles.

Maybe another PIL to ban the chrome grills as well - they look so ugly. There should be a limit to the %age of chrome on front of the vehicle.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 2nd February 2017 at 12:22. Reason: Removing image tags for smiley.
shajoshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 12:14   #22746
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shajoshi View Post
I will strongly vote for a PIL for pedestrian safety - to ban all after market accessories like Bull Bars, side steps that jut outside vehicles. It is crazy to see even 1510 Tata trucks owned by sand mafia having bullbars - they think it is a cosmetic add on. In addition they compromise Airbag like active safety devices as well for the occupants of vehicles.
When the powers that be are setting an example, what else do you expect the common man to do? In his desire to exude Power, he apes the higher powers.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-capture.jpg

Image from http://depositphotos.com/search/gove...qview=15432055
Dry Ice is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 12:14   #22747
BHPian

But will they budge......? Not only it is a safety issue but also increase the defined length of the vehicle which is a clear violation.
Attached Images

Last edited by aerohit : 2nd February 2017 at 12:24.
aerohit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 13:01   #22748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
When the powers that be are setting an example, what else do you expect the common man to do? In his desire to exude Power, he apes the higher powers.
IMO fixing bull bars in SUVs in particular defines the masculinity of the vehicle. (That's what the SUV owners think so). It increases the overall appeal of the SUV giving it kind of menacing look. I have seen many of the SUVs belonging to politicians in Chennai (G P Road) fixing the bull bars by default followed by sun films, seat covers etc...
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 13:11   #22749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
But will they budge......? Not only it is a safety issue but also increase the defined length of the vehicle which is a clear violation.
While I certainly agree on the impact of safety due to this non-scientific add-on, that seems to be a favourite. But this will not add to the length of the vehicle (at least not in the legal sense) as the length of a car is to be measured from bumper to bumper only - as per our motor vehicle rules.
The EcoSport, Avventura and TUV3OO all have the spare wheel protruding outside of the bumper, and are all fully legal small cars under 4 metres of length.
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 13:21   #22750
BHPian

As far as PIL goes, it really does not matter if the whole country is using Bull Bars, if there is a verdict against it, everyone has to adhere to it, be it the PM or CM or commoners like you and I.

Lets pool whatever is needed to eradicate this scourge from our society. Again, it kills me to see that a child on a sidewalk is not safe. Whoever was involved in that dastardly accident should be tried for murder.

People might not agree but I somehow feel, SUV drivers, most of them just like to muscle their way through without any regard for safety for others. Yes, there is the good driver but he is in minority. I will go as far as saying if we cannot fix the problem then SUVs should be banned in the city limits - it is a tough thing to do, but that's a different problem.
pratyush6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 14:50   #22751
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
SUV drivers, most of them just like to muscle their way through without any regard for safety for others. Yes, there is the good driver but he is in minority. I will go as far as saying if we cannot fix the problem then SUVs should be banned in the city limits - it is a tough thing to do, but that's a different problem.
Hope your are just joking!

If you talk only about bull bars, then there are all types of car on the road with bull bars! It doesn't limit to SUVs!

Just because you have problem with politicians and their cars, you cannot be generalising this as an SUV problem.

I own a SUV, my brother has one, my parents and relatives too. For records, none of them have bull bars on it.

Yes, I agree bull bars are a trouble for pedestrian safety! For that matter lets not simple shoot the SUVs. Let the government also provide some basic footpath for pedestrians to walk. We cannot be expecting pedestrians to use the road to walk (for lack of footpath) and then blame it for bull bar!
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-bullbar.jpg  

Last edited by LoneRidder : 2nd February 2017 at 14:52.
LoneRidder is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 15:08   #22752
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
... ... ... SUV drivers, most of them just like to muscle their way through without any regard for safety for others. ...
And mini goods carriers. I often joke about having a sign in the rear window, "I'll turn off the engine: you can push." A few months ago one of them got so close that they did.

There is a small dent. I'm advised to live with it as it is not very visible, the paint is not broken, but apparently the entire tailgate would have to be repainted if it was beaten out. I thought it would be a small add-on to the wheel-arch damage I am about to get fixed: turns out it would cost more!

(The arch damage, now that I have cleaned the paint off, is actually not much at all, but still requires tinkering and painting. It was my fault.)
Old 2nd February 2017, 15:32   #22753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post
Hope your are just joking!

If you talk only about bull bars, then there are all types of car on the road with bull bars! It doesn't limit to SUVs!
How did you infer I said that all SUVs have Bull Bars (and are a problem?)

Quote:
Just because you have problem with politicians and their cars, you cannot be generalising this as an SUV problem.

I own a SUV, my brother has one, my parents and relatives too. For records, none of them have bull bars on it.
Just because I have a problem? Any car with a bull bar is a problem, good for you, you don't have one on.

Quote:
Yes, I agree bull bars are a trouble for pedestrian safety! For that matter lets not simple shoot the SUVs. Let the government also provide some basic footpath for pedestrians to walk. We cannot be expecting pedestrians to use the road to walk (for lack of footpath) and then blame it for bull bar!
Heard something called 'Moral Hazard' - When you drive on the road - it is your responsibility to take care of others on the road - even if the pedestrian is at fault/there is no walkaway/improper conditions. This is basic road safety etiquette. You cannot cite the above 'excuses' (and they are exactly that - excuses) in case of an accident.

If you read it properly, I mentioned SUV drivers are 'generally' rash - it is a fact - google it to cite many studies showing the same. Are they the only one, definitely not.

SUV + Bull Bar = Big Problem for others and it does not show anything else, except that the user is either stupid or most likely has a low self esteem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
And mini goods carriers. I often joke about having a sign in the rear window, "I'll turn off the engine: you can push." A few months ago one of them got so close that they did.
I detest those, others that are always rashly driven are Water Tankers (generally owned by Politicians/related).

The point is that for the stupid acts of perceived masculinity (and horribly perceived may I say) citizens get maimed and killed on the road, for no fault of their own. And when a child loses their life due to this, I find it unforgivable, it's like something is so messed up with this world that I want no part of it.
pratyush6 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 17:04   #22754
BHPian

I am disgusted reading this. Where are we headed as a society? The boy is pleading for help and we can see people walking past him and camera flash's.

http://www.news18.com/news/india/tee...s-1344033.html

First, people deliberately let animals (shark, dolphins) die because they wanted their prized selfies, this takes it to a different level!
Old 2nd February 2017, 17:26   #22755
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enobarbus View Post
The TV reporter said that the rider was actually on his mobile phone when this happened.
In that case, it was sheer recklessness and "nothing-will-happen-to-us, we're-invincible!" kind of attitude that claimed their lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
can't our traffic police have giant screens at important junction/intersection showing such videos educating people on road safety?
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
This video is hardly educational. It only has shock value, and there will be road users who will be adversely affected by viewing such videos.
Rather than displaying videos to educate people after letting them drive on roads, RTA must take up such educational sessions prior to issuing driving license.

Most Viewed