Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2017, 10:41   #22816
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Even today I do the same and wait for all lanes to either clear off, or cross when the incoming vehicles are a decent distance away (100+ meters).
I did not mean to blindly defend jaywalkers and pedestrians. While this has worked for you, there are times when I am forced to dart around as there is continuous traffic- including a free left and folks who break the signal. Even when the signal for pedestrians turn green that is only for a few seconds and that is not enough to cross a big intersection.

To highlight a certain part of your quote- I could be a bad driver, accelerate and close these 100 meters very quickly and curse jaywalkers. I stay on Kanakpura Main road @ JP Nagar 6th phase, and far too often, vehicle drivers (irrespective of white or yellow boards) speed up rather than slow down, even at designated crossing points.

Who knows what really happened in this case where that lady was crossing the road.
Old 15th February 2017, 11:29   #22817
Senior - BHPian

Hi Friends,

I think we have discussed JAYWALKING enough and it is time to move-on.

Regards-Sonu
ariesonu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2017, 13:12   #22818
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpMan View Post
Two Killed in Ghastly Accident

My 17yr Old Cousin Brother & His 19yr Friend(Driven by him) perished in this accident, which happened on 11th Feb around 1am on Chandigarh-Patiala Highway.
Oh My God. This is a nasty accident. May their souls rest in peace.
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2017, 14:17   #22819
BHPian

Quote:
Ghastly Accident
Any info on the occupants of the truck?
Old 15th February 2017, 17:37   #22820
Senior - BHPian

Spotted this Esteem on my way to Bhimnath, Gujarat. The accident spot was mostly between Tarapur and Vataman, but cant remember it exactly.

When I stopped there to click images, a guy on Activa reaches the spot too and asks me if I know whose car it was. Told him I dont know, but he was curious. His concern ? The car took down a hoarding of his "Dhaba". He then twice asked me the same question if I knew who crashed and repeated "Mera board tod diya". Did try to know if he was observed it was a crash, but his attention was on hoarding. Pretty odd behavior.

Yesterday, I observed absolutely senseless traffic on a route that I am frequenting since 2005. Probably this was my worst experience, absolutely horrendous. Highway never seemed like one, it has 2-wheelers, 3-wheelers, apart from cars and trucks of various sizes. Around 7-8 times I had a near miss , just avoided crash. Cars driven in fast lane on wrong side, three wheelers taking turns on highway like they do in city. Was barely centimeters away from hitting a previous generation Skoda Superb to avoid one such idotic Auto driver. My car does not have ABS, under hard braking cars pulls towards left side. All this at 80 kmph on a highway wider than Vadodara-A'bad Expressway. In short, highway didnt' feel like one, it was more like driving in urban roads.

Average speed on this stretch has gone down considerably. Be safe, observe for anything that can dart across from any direction. Night driving on this route is best avoided.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20170214_103335.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20170214_103415.jpg  

Last edited by aaggoswami : 15th February 2017 at 17:41.
Old 15th February 2017, 19:42   #22821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
Any info on the occupants of the truck?
Driver and cleaner fled the scene before anyone reached for help.
Old 16th February 2017, 15:38   #22822
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Two Killed in Ghastly Accident
Sorry man!

It looks like an overtaking maneuver gone wrong. Unfortunately, even if the truck driver is caught nothing much happens in road accident cases.
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2017, 19:44   #22823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
So this happened today and the two wheeler rider got a well deserved slap from the guy who got hit. While I was coming home and was near Shantinagar Bus station, I was in the right most lane when an Ambulance started blaring siren behind us. He was juggling between the left and center lane(much to the average Indian thought that the left side
Hey Audioholic, a little I'm in love with the music in the video, can you please help me on which track this is! Must admit you've an apt handle for sure.
Old 17th February 2017, 10:56   #22824
Distinguished - BHPian

Wanted to put this in the joke thread, but it's unfrtunately true:

"Tribunal: 25% of blame on drunk driver who died in mishap. His kin get Rs 38L
Rebecca Samervel
Mumbai:

A motor accident claims tribunal recently held that if you are drunk and die in an accident, your contributory negligence in the accident amounts to just 25%; the rest of the blame lies with the other party .
The tribunal's reasoning came while deciding the 2008 case of a 33-year-old drunk biker who was killed after a BMC dumper truck rammed into his two-wheeler. At the time of the fatal accident, the biker was riding with two others on Holi.

The civic body has now been ordered to pay a total compensation of Rs 38.1 lakh to the biker's kin. The tribunal held that driver of the heavy vehicle was “more responsible for causing the accident“.

Referring to the FIR, the tribunal said, “The deceased was under the influence of alcohol when he was riding the motorcycle but, at the same time, the driver of the dumper was duty-bound to control his vehicle.“

While calculating the compensation, the tribunal kept in mind the victim's an nual income of Rs 1.4 lakh and loss of future earnings.

It stated that compensation payable to the family was Rs 24.75 lakh. However, while deducting 25% towards the victim's contributory negligence, the tribunal brought down the figure to Rs 18.6 lakh. Additionally, the compensation amount also includes Rs 1 lakh towards loss of companionship of a spouse, Rs 1 lakh towards the loss of love and affection suffered by the mother and son and Rs 50,000 for loss of estate and towards funeral expenses incurred. The total amount of Rs 21 lakh also attracts an annual simple interest, bringing the total amount to Rs 38.1 lakh.

The application for compensation was filed in June 2008 by six members of the victim, Pravin Mane's family, including his wife, minor son, mother and siblings.

The victim ran a garment business at the time of his death. The family told the tribunal that the accident took place on March 22, 2008, around 2.15pm. They claimed that while Mane was riding the bike with due care and caution at a moderate speed, the truck rammed into it at full speed in a rash and negligent manner. Mane sustained multiple injuries and died on the way to the hospital.

The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) denied that the driver, on his way from the Deonar dumping ground to collect garbage from Vikhroli, was rash and negligent.

BMC alleged that the driver had given a signal before taking a left turn. It alleged that at that time, Mane's bike came at high speed from the opposite direction and collided with the front and middle portion of the truck. “All the three riders seated on the motorcycle were under the influence of alcohol and so the accident occurred solely due to the negligence of the deceased as he could not control his motor cycle,“ the BMC submitted."

http://epaperbeta.timesofindia.com/A...17022017010031

Thoughts?
mayankk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th February 2017, 11:03   #22825
BANNED

I witnessed a fatal accident on the NICE Road between the Kanakapura turnoff/exit last evening around 1730.

On the road going towards E-City, there was a huge jam and a decapitated body lying on the road. The torso was completely intact. There was a TN registered truck standing behind the body and a completely intact Bullet on the road.

It initially looked like the rider was trying to cross the road after parking his bike when the truck hit him but the intact torso had me thinking if something else could have been the reason.

Tried to find a news article but could not.

Last edited by moralfibre : 17th February 2017 at 12:56. Reason: Toning down the post.
Old 17th February 2017, 13:31   #22826
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Additionally, the compensation amount also includes Rs 1 lakh towards loss of companionship of a spouse, Rs 1 lakh towards the loss of love and affection suffered by the mother and son and Rs 50,000 for loss of estate and towards funeral expenses incurred.
Aren't these amounts absurd, to say the least? Any other such category that is eligible for compensation?
jinojohnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2017, 14:45   #22827
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wanted to put this in the joke thread, but it's unfrtunately true:
What's funny about this? Compensation amount does not depend on whether the deceased was drunk or not. The MACT does not even get to decide the compensation - it has to be calculated based on formulas set by higher courts.

And quantum of contributory negligence is arrived at based on the FIR, which we do not have access to and hence cannot say is appropriate or not.

Pretty bad piece of reporting, though. Seems to be blaming the kin of the deceased for getting compensation. And worse still, seems to indicate MACT judgments set precedents.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2017, 14:53   #22828
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
What's funny about this? Compensation amount does not depend on whether the deceased was drunk or not. The MACT does not even get to decide the compensation - it has to be calculated based on formulas set by higher courts.

And quantum of contributory negligence is arrived at based on the FIR, which we do not have access to and hence cannot say is appropriate or not.

Pretty bad piece of reporting, though. Seems to be blaming the kin of the deceased for getting compensation. And worse still, seems to indicate MACT judgments set precedents.
I dont understand. So in case of a drunk idiot banging into my car, falling off, and cracking his skull, its fair that I am responsible, sorry "more" responsible for his death because I am in the bigger vehicle? In this case, three men, drunk, on a bike, probably no helmets(no indication given, so presuming), but the driver is more at fault?
“The deceased was under the influence of alcohol when he was riding the motorcycle but, at the same time, the driver of the dumper was duty-bound to control his vehicle.“
I call bull.

Last edited by mayankk : 17th February 2017 at 14:56.
mayankk is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th February 2017, 15:29   #22829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I dont understand. So in case of a drunk idiot banging into my car, falling off, and cracking his skull, its fair that I am responsible, sorry "more" responsible for his death because I am in the bigger vehicle?
Of course not. I did say MACT judgments don't set precedents - in fact, MACT does not even try accident cases. If the scenario you outline above happens, it has to be dealt within its merits in a trial court (and not MACT).

Quote:
In this case, three men, drunk, on a bike, probably no helmets(no indication given, so presuming), but the driver is more at fault?
As I said, we don't know what all is recorded in the FIR, and the evidence & arguments that emerged at the trial court.

Think of it this way. Suppose three obviously drunk men emerge from a bar, get on a bike and drive away without helmets. Do you want a system where anyone can intentionally bang against them with no consequences?
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2017, 15:39   #22830
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post

As I said, we don't know what all is recorded in the FIR, and the evidence & arguments that emerged at the trial court.

Think of it this way. Suppose three obviously drunk men emerge from a bar, get on a bike and drive away without helmets. Do you want a system where anyone can intentionally bang against them with no consequences?
I wish they'd quantified that the driver was masked vigilante out to run down drunks on holi. Luckily, a majority of drivers are just going from point a to b.
A drunk on the street is a drunk on the street. Basically, a law twister. Driving, he's a law breaker. Unfortunately, full sympathies this time around with the driver and the corporation for being held responsible for the death.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks