Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2017, 15:42   #22831
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
“The deceased was under the influence of alcohol when he was riding the motorcycle but, at the same time, the driver of the dumper was duty-bound to control his vehicle.“

Thoughts?
Yes, This definitely deserves to be in Jokes thread. If I were the Tribunal, I would have caught hold of any pedestrian walking around in 1/2 km Vicinity there and would have fined him as well at least some 25%

Reason: It should be the responsibility of the Pedestrian also to observe the drunken bike driver and as proactive measure, stop OR at least signal the BMW Car before he approaches the biker.

On a serious note, In my view, these kinds of judgement aids the public to drink and drive. The attitude would be probably, anyways, the car owner(And pedestrians walking in vicinity ! ) will pay for my injuries since I do not have insurance as well !! And in case of my death, My family will get compensation which anyway, i wont earn in my life time.
gkveda is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th February 2017, 14:45   #22832
Distinguished - BHPian

Chennai. A couple of bikers (rider+pillion) take a flying lesson off Alwarpet flyover. One dead.

News report talks about sharp curve and necessity to make barrier higher. It mentions that they were on their way home, which was nearby. Surely they must know that flyover. Yet another accident blamed on everything else but the rider/driver.

(I'm not heartless: I'm sorry for the death and injury, and for the family. But the driving and the thinking has to change.)
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2017, 15:46   #22833
BHPian

Does anyone here know about an accident in Bangalore where a guy from a local college lost his life? A car accident probably.
Old 20th February 2017, 15:53   #22834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Chennai. A couple of bikers (rider+pillion) take a flying lesson off Alwarpet flyover. One dead.

(I'm not heartless: I'm sorry for the death and injury, and for the family. But the driving and the thinking has to change.)
Agree with you. I frequently take this flyover to reach LB road. It is not a tight curve for someone to loose balance/control unless he was riding beyond his capabilities. The long approach to the curve is tempting for many to speed up, and if not careful, could lose control as they enter the turn.

Few of the riders think, they need to be riding at the machines capability, than their own ability to handle/control these machines. Many a time I have seen some of the riders ride up close to the vehicle in front and just wiggle and zoom off.
Old 20th February 2017, 16:25   #22835
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingheaven View Post
Does anyone here know about an accident in Bangalore where a guy from a local college lost his life? A car accident probably.
Not heard of any fatal car accident in Bangalore recently.

A student from Kerala was killed in a bike accident at Hebbagodi area during the last week.
Old 20th February 2017, 17:11   #22836
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingheaven View Post
There was this ;
http://m.deccanherald.com/articles.p...ree-21-yr.html
Old 22nd February 2017, 13:52   #22837
BHPian

A bad accident at the junction between Shanti Nagar main road and Medavakam High road in Adambakkam. A grey i10 driven by lady was sideswiped by an MTC bus trying to avoid the car.

I passed by just a minute or so after it happened and on enquiring the below tale was told by a bystander. The lady coming from Shanti Nagar main road took a right turn without checking her left. An approaching MTC bus tried avoiding her car. The driver swerved left but the rear right of his bus ended up sideswiping the i10. Result was a totally crushed front door, fender, bumper, bonnet, left headlamp&foglamp, left front tyre& rim and the radiator grille. I hope the above story told to me is correct because the only other scenario possible is of the MTC bus overtaking the car from the left and an overtake gone wrong. But that road is not wide enough for an overtake due to many vehicles parked on the left lane.

No one was hurt but the lady was visibly shaken up. I didn't take a picture as I was on my two wheeler. When I passed by a few minutes later cops had arrived and were assisting her in moving the wreck to the side.

People don't realise that they always have to give way to a heavy vehicle cause it is not easy for them bring their vehicle to a stop on a dime like our cars. Plus if they try swerving it could end up having catastrophic consequences. This is ofcourse done properly when you can gauge distances and speed of the approaching vehicle.

Last edited by Shanksta : 22nd February 2017 at 13:55.
Shanksta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2017, 17:52   #22838
Senior - BHPian

If the bus was going straight and she took a right - my guess is the bus driver was in a hurry and just tried to squeeze it past her overtaking from the left.

I have had that exact same thing happen to me - only damage a busted mirror - on a narrow and crowded road with shops / parking on the left (near thiruvanmiyur signal in Chennai) - I was going straight and the driver wanted to take a left into thiruvanmiyur depot. Space available for maybe a m800 to overtake peacefully if he kept on the road .. guy seems to have driven well on the shoulder to overtake from the left, and bashed my mirror while turning.
Old 22nd February 2017, 19:09   #22839
BHPian

http://www.newindianexpress.com/stat...e-1573514.html

Looks like a high speed crash. Innova was damaged very badly, folded beyond B pillar.
Three people perished in this accident, including Vice Chancellor of JNTU-Ananthapur, Andhra Pradesh.
RIP.

Last edited by Hickstead : 22nd February 2017 at 19:19. Reason: Added additional information
Hickstead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 00:09   #22840
BHPian

RIP. Andhra Accident

Pictures as received on WhatsApp.

The Driver is wearing Seat Belt, but No Airbags.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1487788533982.jpg

Last edited by bblost : 23rd February 2017 at 00:17. Reason: removed a picture of the victims.
jaaz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 00:34   #22841
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
The Driver is wearing Seat Belt, but No Airbags.
Very tragic. However, airbags wouldn't have made any tangible difference.

In an accident, there are three impacts:
  1. The first (primary) impact is vehicle-on-vehicle
  2. The second impact is between the occupant and enclosing vehicle
  3. The third (and most lethal) impact is the brain on skull; can also be extrapolated to impact on other organs (e.g. spleen rupturing)

Reducing the "violence" (i.e. energy) of a higher impact reduces the harm caused by a lower impact.

The purpose of airbags is to minimize the energy dissipated by the second impact in a controlled manner, which in turn reduces the violence of the third impact. Without airbags, the occupant would either hit quickly and sharply against the steering/dashboard, and that sharp jerk will result in an equivalent sharp impact within the skull.

In this accident, the primary impact has sadly been 'Innova occupant' and lorry, not Innova and lorry (yes, the Innova is damaged, but it took the major hit in the windshield area, which will not have dissipated much of the crash's energy).

This is a pretty telling example of how a vehicle-height mismatch caused such a grievous accident, and the absence of protection mechanisms enabled this. No underrun bars on the lorry meant that there was nothing to engage with the frontal crash structure of the Innova.

Last edited by arunphilip : 23rd February 2017 at 00:38.
arunphilip is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 00:58   #22842
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Very tragic. However, airbags wouldn't have made any tangible difference.
Surely it would have not made a difference, Maybe a bit, But the impact was just too much for the airbag to save the driver's life.

Quote:
In this accident, the primary impact has sadly been 'Innova occupant' and lorry, not Innova and lorry (yes, the Innova is damaged, but it took the major hit in the windshield area, which will not have dissipated much of the crash's energy).
This simply seems to be a head on collision, The Innova took it how much ever it could but there is simply no stopping a speeding truck towards you, Even if the innova had better built quality with airbags, I hardly think the passengers would have made it out, RIP.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 01:28   #22843
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
there is simply no stopping a speeding truck towards you,
I read the article and saw the picture, however I don't understand how it automatically becomes the lorry driver's fault. "The car ran head on into a speeding lorry coming in the opposite direction"
Well, whose fault was it? I'm pretty sure it's the cars who do most of the speeding on highways -trucks are pretty low on power. Was one of them going in the wrong direction, and were there other factors? I'd like to hear the facts before directly blaming the bigger/ heavier vehicle.
mxh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 01:35   #22844
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
trucks are pretty low on power.
An empty truck can attain some seriously high speeds and is also very difficult to control. It bounces about like crazy and braking is also greatly reduced.

I don't know if THIS truck was empty or loaded.

But I completely agree with the spirit of your post. Its wrong to automatically assume that a particular vehicle is at fault without more information.
It could have been the Innova or it could have been the truck, which was moving in the wrong direction.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 01:36   #22845
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
I read the article and saw the picture, however I don't understand how it automatically becomes the lorry driver's fault. "The car ran head on into a speeding lorry coming in the opposite direction"
Well, whose fault was it? I'm pretty sure it's the cars who do most of the speeding on highways -trucks are pretty low on power. Was one of them going in the wrong direction, and were there other factors? I'd like to hear the facts before directly blaming the bigger/ heavier vehicle.
Well i obviously cannot be certain if the car was speeding towards the truck or the truck was speeding towards the car, In any case i feel the end result would be the same? Maybe, Some articles are usually written for the sake of it, I have read several articles where one accident is described differently in all of them, Even getting the name of the car wrong is pretty common, Considering the amount of accidents that happen because of speeding trucks and buses's these days, Anyone would at first assume it was the lorry/bus/Truck driver at fault.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed