Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2017, 18:28   #23161
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Came across this news of a major accident near Hunsur, looks like a pretty bad crash http://starofmysore.com/four-bengalu...t-near-hunsur/
Old 31st March 2017, 20:08   #23162
BHPian

I saw a Chevy Sail that had a nasty crash in Adyar, Chennai today. The car was being pulled away by a truck. This accident caused a huge traffic jam on the Kotturpuram bridge at around 2pm. I couldn't click pics as I was driving to work. It seems the car misjudged the flyover as it came from the Kotturpuram bridge, and hit the barrier at the start of the Flyover. Hope the occupants were safe!
Old 31st March 2017, 20:35   #23163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Hope everyone recovers from this accident.
If the driver was noticeably drunk, I wonder why the owners went ahead with the trip.
Also if the impact was so great that the drivers seat moved backwards, I wonder how the driver continued to drive.
Got updates that they are recovering well. Mrs Saha is to be discharged in two to three days. Mr Saha will remain hospitalised however for some more time as he has undergone operation on both his legs that have been injured and fractured.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 15:07   #23164
BHPian

Just read an unfortunate news on CARTOQ.

Two bikes collided, one dead.

Two bikes collided head-on, A Dominar 400 and the other one was a HYOSUNG GTR 650. Both riders were wearing helmets but the Dominar rider, 20 year old chap, didnt fasten straps. His head hit the termac and he succumbed to his injuries in a hospital.

Another young life lost.

The link is http://www.cartoq.com/bajaj-dominar-...ne-biker-dead/
Old 3rd April 2017, 16:26   #23165
BHPian

Mumbai: 15 cars charred as heat sparks fire in parking lot
http://toi.in/WIzCzb/a19lh

Trapped heat caused a full parking lot go up in flames?

Sounds wired, specially when reported time of accident is early morning 5AM or before.

If fire started earlier, like in night hours, it seems either sabotage or short circuit, rather trapped heat (to me).

But as reported, fire man believes, it's trapped heat from hot summer and as per interviewed fire officer, it's common (??) for parked cars to go up in flames.
Old 3rd April 2017, 21:17   #23166
BHPian

More dashcam footage:

Accident in front of CSEZ. I think the girls were expecting the lorry to move ahead and miscalculated the distance. And the helmet wasn't secured.

The ladies had a few cuts and bruises. Unfortunately, they still think it's the lorry drivers fault
GeneralJazz is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 21:28   #23167
Team-BHP Support

Pics: Accidents in India

Actually I agree the girls have the larger blame here but it seems the lorry also move a bit to the right just at an unfortunate time because of the red car edging ahead to cross the road. I can think of so many typical bad Indian driving habits that have caused this or could have resulted in worse consequences.

- The red car on the right which instead of staying off the road keeps 'nosing / edging' ahead on the road to ease in and cross.

- The lorry doesn't consider its mirror before moving right suddenly.

- The girls are just at horribly close proximity to the truck for comfort - so close they can't take evasive measures.

- Non strapped helmet.
Axe77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 23:32   #23168
BHPian

The girls had no reason to be so close to a lorry tyre. It's just plain ignorant. I personally believe big vehicles need to be given their due space and leeway keeping in mind it's a bigger mass moving around and it takes more time to stop, veer, or move out of the way. People tend to think they are just as easily maneuverable as smaller vehicles and that's a very dangerous mindset.

That said, ideally I think that big vehicles like trucks, lorries, trailers, busses etc should be always be kept in view and more importantly we should always maintain a safe distance from them in every direction. There is simply no taking any chances when it comes to having a misjudgement with these guys. For everybody's good. You just can't afford to have your ego come in between when dealing with biggies. It's a no brainier.

With other lesser vehicles you might get hit, hurt, maimed, scraped or possibly killed. But anything coming under those big tyres is just plain history. Obliterated. Deleted. No two ways about it. I'm amazed that people take them so lightly!
pixantz is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 00:26   #23169
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
You just can't afford to have your ego come in between when dealing with biggies. It's a no brainier.
Agree.
A 25-ton laden truck moving at 10-kmph carries more momentum than a 2-ton fortuner moving at 120-kmph - shows how massive mass is.
venkyhere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 00:39   #23170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry_der View Post
..........Two bikes collided head-on, A Dominar 400 and the other one was a HYOSUNG GTR 650. Both riders were wearing helmets but the Dominar rider, 20 year old chap, didnt fasten straps. His head hit the termac and he succumbed to his injuries in a hospital.

Another young life lost.

The link is http://www.cartoq.com/bajaj-dominar-...ne-biker-dead/
The report from our local whatsapp group from folks who arrived half an hour after the accident was that they GTR rider was doing crazy fast speeds (someone said 100, someone said 150). A scooty rider gent took a U turn misjudging the GTR's speed. The GTR rider had a pillion and in trying to avoid the scooty, it went head on into the Dominar rider, who died for no fault of his.

The chin strap theory was not mentioned by multiple accounts of the story I heard across various groups. I would not give too much credence to it.

http://www.drivespark.com/off-beat/b...24-021431.html atleast mentions the GT as being responsible.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 8th February 2019 at 16:57. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
Old 4th April 2017, 08:58   #23171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

The chin strap theory was not mentioned by multiple accounts of the story I heard across various groups. I would not give too much credence to it.

http://www.drivespark.com/off-beat/b...24-021431.html atleast mentions the GT as being responsible.
The GTR was said to be doing speeds above 100 ans the DOMINAR 400 was at 40. The helmet theory might(not) be true but it was the only available theory that time . Some news agencies are also claiming "Stunt gone horrible wrong".

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/d.../1/919892.html

One life lost, two are fighting for their life.

What kind of madness for speed it is.

Ry_der is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 10:31   #23172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
More dashcam footage:

Accident in front of CSEZ. I think the girls were expecting the lorry to move ahead and miscalculated the distance. And the helmet wasn't secured.
Did by any chance they got pulled over by the 'under run protection bar' of the lorry?

Often I see, in slow moving traffic, bikers trying to overtake from the space available between the 'under run protection bar' and the tyre. The gap gives an illusion of abandon space, but which is not.
LoneRidder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 10:57   #23173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Actually I agree the girls have the larger blame here but it seems the lorry also move a bit to the right just at an unfortunate time because of the red car edging ahead to cross the road. I can think of so many typical bad Indian driving habits that have caused this or could have resulted in worse consequences.

- The red car on the right which instead of staying off the road keeps 'nosing / edging' ahead on the road to ease in and cross.

- The lorry doesn't consider its mirror before moving right suddenly.

- The girls are just at horribly close proximity to the truck for comfort - so close they can't take evasive measures.

- Non strapped helmet.
The lorry does not need to see the right. There is oncoming traffic on a two lane road with slow moving traffic, there shouldn't be someone overtaking. As long as he is not coming in the way of the oncoming car he should be fine. Also you may not know, maybe he did check his mirror before moving to the right, and then has to check his left to make sure he doesn't hit the Santro. I would have done that, check my right to see if it is empty and then see my left to negotiate the car. If someone comes in between that time, it's not my fault. Even the scooter behind them was moving into the lane seeing the oncoming traffic.

In my opinion it's completely the lady's fault and she is lucky to have lived with just a few bruises. When she is seeing that oncoming traffic is present, why does she need to squeeze herself between them. However it seems, she is a new rider and was trying to move to her left because of the oncoming traffic and moved to much to the left.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 4th April 2017 at 11:02.
Altocumulus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 11:24   #23174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Biker of the day:
This is Rajpalya road. The S shaped turn is very badly designed.

Last edited by moralfibre : 4th April 2017 at 12:23. Reason: Removing embedded video from quoted post.
Old 4th April 2017, 11:41   #23175
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post
Did by any chance they got pulled over by the 'under run protection bar' of the lorry?

Often I see, in slow moving traffic, bikers trying to overtake from the space available between the 'under run protection bar' and the tyre. The gap gives an illusion of abandon space, but which is not.
Yup, very much the under-run bar. Those ladies had no right to go so close to it. Serves them right to tailgate the truck in such random stop-start traffic.
itwasntme is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks