Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2017, 15:06   #23191
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
[url]
Watch closely. The car has it's ORVM folded. The driver is completely unaware of what is happening on left side or right side of his car. If he had the habit of seeing ORVM's he would have avoided the biker. Forget about honking or flashing, this driver just doesn't see anything except through his front windscreen.
RajaTaurus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 15:43   #23192
BHPian

Looks like the car driver didnt watch this video-

It doest matter if biker is occupying space or going slow. Car must stay behind him until it is safe to overtake. Have some patience - just be happy that you are not stuck in a massive jam. Note: I dont own or ride a 2 wheeler.

In all other countries, I have seen car stay behind for 10 MINUTES until it was safe to overtake. India is the only exception - blame it on poor up-bringing and 'class-based' driving culture.

BTW: The car driver had run away but he was caught up by other bikers and got arrested for hit and run.

Last edited by aerohit : 5th April 2017 at 16:04.
aerohit is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 15:49   #23193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Just today I spent a lot of time in a traffic jam and the cause I found was a woman talking on the phone driving in the fast lane.
Well, there are could be lot of idiots on road! That said, the person overtaking doesn't have right to run over the biker.

This is clear case of car driver misjudging the speed of the bike, the bus and his own car.

Would the car driver make such an attempt if it was bigger vehicle? Simple, never overtake when you are not sure.
Old 5th April 2017, 16:26   #23194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Well, not just this video, the car driver had no basic courtesy or the conscience to stop and apologize, or inquire what happened to the poor biker.

If he had the reflexes to cut to his left sharply and avoid the bus, why not use the brake also? That could have saved the biker a lot of trouble and bad memories.
Old 5th April 2017, 16:48   #23195
BHPian

Quote:
In all other countries, I have seen car stay behind for 10 MINUTES until it was safe to overtake. India is the only exception - blame it on poor up-bringing and 'class-based' driving culture.
It is the lack of basic driving etiquette in India; bike or car. Come to NICE Road in Bangalore, where the speed limit is 120kmph, with boards asking slow moving traffic to keep to the left lane, you can see bikers riding at 40kmph on the fast lane. So, rather than class based driving culture, I would say that there is a complete lack of knowledge, ignorance or "I own the road" attitude from a majority of road users whether they are on a bike or car or truck.
Coming back to the accident, it definitely is the mistake of the car driver because he should have waited a couple of seconds for a clear road ahead for overtaking. And, there is no justification for his actions before, during and after the accident.
A350XWB is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 18:39   #23196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Well, not just this video, the car driver had no basic courtesy or the conscience to stop and apologize, or inquire what happened to the poor biker.

If he had the reflexes to cut to his left sharply and avoid the bus, why not use the brake also? That could have saved the biker a lot of trouble and bad memories.
Sorry, but the mistake is on both ends. I would say the Biker is more at the wrong side. It is a 2 lane road, you cannot ride your bike in middle of the road.

Also, if a vehicle is trying to overtake you, you are expected to allow it to do so. Slow down if needed and allow that vehicle to overtake you safely.

The biker did none of that. He was swaying on both sides of the lane. This Biker reminds me of bikers in Bangalore who ride carelessly on the highway. They don't have any driving sense and this guy does seem to fall in that category.

In the end , if you are on a bike you have to be the one who is doubly careful because of lack of protection in case of accident.
dreadknight5 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 18:58   #23197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadknight5 View Post
Sorry, but the mistake is on both ends. I would say the Biker is more at the wrong side. It is a 2 lane road, you cannot ride your bike in middle of the road.

Also, if a vehicle is trying to overtake you, you are expected to allow it to do so. Slow down if needed and allow that vehicle to overtake you safely.

The biker did none of that. He was swaying on both sides of the lane. This Biker reminds me of bikers in Bangalore who ride carelessly on the highway. They don't have any driving sense and this guy does seem to fall in that category.

In the end , if you are on a bike you have to be the one who is doubly careful because of lack of protection in case of accident.
A bike or car or a truck has equal rights to a level road. There is no rule that in a 2 lane road biker has to keep on the left. But to be safe in India road conditions, yes a biker be on left end if he/she is slow

secondly its the responsibility of the overtaking vehicle to overtake when there is enough space and time to safely complete the overtaking. The vehicle on the front cannot do that for the vehicle in the back. Had this incident happened in USA, I am sure the car driver would have been awarded few points in his driving record.

Yes I see that the biker was all over the road, but that doesn't meanthat the car driver miscalculated his overtaking plan.
arjithin is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 19:04   #23198
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

NO!!! Seriously?! This is absolutely wrong info you have!

ABC of driving would teach you to always check if everything is clear before overtaking. It is the responsibility of the vehicle trying to overtake to keep all the safety margin and not that of vehicle being overtaken. The above case is a clear fail.

Even if you have attempted an incorrect overtaking, you are supposed to back out and not try to push on to the other vehicle on the side. Just imagine if that was a truck instead of a bike there, the getz would have got munched up!!

Last but not the least, the car is in the classic blind spot of the bike. Even if the biker was constantly checking the mirror he might miss that car till about it was too close to the bike. And bike is being ridden well within his right of the lane.

This is a classic case of poor road etiquette and rash driving from the car drivers end.
Jaggu is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 20:13   #23199
BHPian

Quote:

Seriously?

In fact, I never move over to my left or to the road shoulder for a bigger vehicle to squeeze through until I find it safe for me and the overtaking vehicle to do so.

Share the road is the motto.
sgmitr13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 21:38   #23200
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

It doest matter if biker is occupying space or going slow..

BTW: The car driver had run away but he was caught up by other bikers and got arrested for hit and run.
Though I am mostly more of a driver than rider, I still blame the car driver for the incident. His stupidity could have taken the life of the biker. The Biker did stick to the side many times but that is equally dangerous. If he was riding on the edge of the road and due to the space created if the car overtook him, a slight left steering of the car could have again pushed the bike off road. This video explains the scenario well.

It was a poorly planned overtake and some amount of bullying thinking that if the car went back to the lane it would push the driver back and would create space for the car. Hope the car driver was taught some good lessons for this. Running away from the scene itself shows the attitude of the driver. If he had really done this by mistake he should have stopped and owned up.
Old 5th April 2017, 22:49   #23201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
It is the lack of... And, there is no justification for his actions before, during and after the accident.
Quote:

... He was swaying on both sides of the lane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
secondly its the responsibility of the overtaking vehicle to overtake when there is enough space and time to safely complete the overtaking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
ABC of .. munched up!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmitr13 View Post
Seriously?

In fact, ..is the motto.
Many different views.
My personal take : dreadknight5 has a point. It might not be a law but a just you can say some common sense or even courtesy. If any other vehicle wants to overtake you and is constantly attempting to do so, why not let it pass ? Somewhat in tune with slowing down in a pool of water so that you dont splash water on bystanders and two wheeler riders. I am not aware of any such laws which state that cars and trucks need to slow down in a pool of accumulated water in order to avoid splashing water on other road users (correct me if I am wrong), but we still slow down. I think such a thread also exists. The car in question attempted to overtake once. If I were the biker, I would have let it go in its second attempt.

However, in this particular case, the biker wasn't exactly at fault. Getz was just not able to pick up speed required for overtaking on such single lane highways. This is what I have faced in my car too, have to work hard on these single lane highways which have lots of two and even three wheelers that cant move fast and one has to really accelerate hard to overtake in limited time and space one gets.

At the same time, herewith are a few screenshots from video which indicate that the biker was moving a bit in dedicated lane. From left to right. Even was on the white marking on the road.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-bike-vs-getz-3.png

Biker moves to let Getz overtake :
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-bike-vs-getz-5.png

Though at the time of crash here, biker was well in the middle of the road and Getz driver should have noted that. He didn't just come onto rightmost part of the lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
secondly its the responsibility of the overtaking vehicle to overtake when there is enough space and time to safely complete the overtaking.
Perfectly said.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-getz-fall-back.png

With an HCV coming smack onto you, either you accelerate or fall back. This was the moment Getz should have braked and fallen back behind the biker.

On the whole, the biker in question did move towards left side of lane once when the car attempted to overtake, but its highly possible that biker wasn't expecting the car to attempt another overtaking when a bus was coming from opposite lane.

I hope the rider is safe, and the car should have stopped for any assistance. Its good to ride in group, helps in case of emergencies.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 5th April 2017 at 23:03.
aaggoswami is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 22:49   #23202
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Watch closely. The car has it's ORVM folded. The driver is completely unaware of what is happening on left side or right side of his car ... ...
He's aware of the bike: he's overtaking it.

Quote:
Or longer. Try English rural roads. It won't be a biker: they move much faster there, but a tractor, or even a pedal cycle. If there is a solid white line in the middle of the road, you do not cross it to overtake. Never mind the basics of only doing so when nothing is coming.
Quote:
Very glad to hear it

Quote:
No. The mistake is on one side. First, he is not in the middle of the road, he is in the middle of his lane. Where he has a right to be.

The one not-fault takeaway for the biker here, though, is to keep checking the mirrors for idiots. And keep out of their way not because he is obliged to, but because it is safer that way.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 00:25   #23203
BHPian

A few things came to my mind after seeing this video,

Both the rider and the car driver do not have much experience.

Was the rider listening to music on ear phones?

And the bus driver dint even bother to slow down. ( Someone sitting high above would have been able to see more clearly and predict what might happen, much ahead.)

Biker seemed he was not aware of the car. When you wear a full face helmet, peripheral vision is restricted. Car driver must have honked, unless it was conked, typical Indian mentality we all have seen on all kinds of roads and situations, even at traffic signals.

New drivers, do not understand overtaking. Their Judgement is wrong. This is a good example of that.

If someone has to choose between a bus or a bike to collide, we all know who we will avoid due to self preservation instinct hard wired in us.

Just observations. Glad it wasn't the bus that was nudging the biker, in that case the rear wheels would have run over him.

Ride safe guys, you cant talk about the right of the road to a bigger vehicle.
Old 6th April 2017, 02:51   #23204
BHPian

At the end of the day being alive is more important than being right.
Yes, car driver was at fault but he could walk away from this accident by playing usual cards. However, bike rider put his life at risk by being less careful about other's road manners.
In India, its a jungle out there on roads, survival of the most careful ones.
Acharya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 07:32   #23205
Senior - BHPian

They say, A Picture is worth a Thousand Words.

Have a look at this Tiago. Structurally intact.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-fb_img_1491415341467.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-fb_img_1491415338386.jpg

This incident took place on Mumbai Pune Expressway. And according to the owner, a large container Truck driven by Drunk Driver scrapped the left portion of the car. Both the passenger & driver came out unhurt.

Picture Source - ATOM Club
CarguyNish is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed