Team-BHP - Accidents in India | Pics & Videos
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Accidents in India | Pics & Videos (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/109249-accidents-india-pics-videos-1558.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tushargohil (Post 4187866)
This accident occurred on 24th April 2017, at Ooty around 9.30am.

So the Bolero and the bus had a collision and to avoid that, the Rajnikanth bus took a plunge into the ditch.

If only he had maintained a safe gap...

Yes, it does look like an overtaking maneuver gone horribly wrong. If I remember this road well, it seems to be the road to Ooty via Masinagudi. Narrow uphill roads mean that many a times, cars have to trundle behind the bigger but slower buses on this road. And it is often seen that frustrated car drivers tend to take undue risks to overtake the vehicle in front. This surely seems like the Armada misjudged the time and distance he had to overtake the "Rajnikanth" bus safely before the oncoming TNSRTC. In the end, he seems to have tried to squeeze through and cut across the private bus pushing him off the road, while it still didnt help prevent the impact with the TN state bus. One more case in the annuls of stupid driving. :deadhorse
On a curious note, how would the unwritten law of "Yield to the vehicle driving up" be interpreted in this case? Should the bus traveling downhill have braked earlier anticipating the "dimwit" coming uphill?:Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by AshyRocks (Post 4188211)
On a curious note, how would the unwritten law of "Yield to the vehicle driving up" be interpreted in this case? Should the bus traveling downhill have braked earlier anticipating the "dimwit" coming uphill?:Frustrati

Generally vehicles that are going down should give preference to vehicles that are climbing up. That is the rule but not sure if this is being followed these days

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom (Post 4186191)
A great deal will be achieved if the young ladies would stop being impressed by this stuff. Ladies: If your guy can't drive safe, find one who can! This would really shake things up.

Sadly, this is not going to happen. Instead, the ladies are learning and practising the same nonsense.
:deadhorse

I beg to disagree here. Most Ladies never support such nonsense. They would prefer safe and soft driving. It is just the assumption of the "young and energetic" male drivers that ladies get impressed with their driving styles. This can be verified by talking to our own better halves at our home :)

However, as every rule has exceptions, there may be a few who support this nonsense and they undergo such mishaps as well

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by suresh_gs (Post 4188419)
Generally vehicles that are going down should give preference to vehicles that are climbing up. That is the rule but not sure if this is being followed these days

That's the general rule as it is easier for the vehicle going downhill to resume the journey than it is for a vehicle climbing up. You can spot this mentioned on several Himalayan roads. But, I don't expect this courtesy from the opposite driver as many times they don't seem to understand it. You never know who is behind the wheel. If the guy doesn't seem to relent, it's better to stop and let him pass rather than exert the rule on him.

If it is a big vehicle (loaded tanker/truck/bus) barreling down a slope, I feel, it is all the more safer to let it pass rather than expect it to brake and stop to allow a smaller vehicle(car/jeep) to climb up. Just because that's the general rule. :)

Quote:

I wouldn't risk my life on the basis that the other vehicle should be yielding way to me, especially when it is the case of improper overtaking from my side.
The way I have seen the rule practised and practise it myself is in case of really narrow roads where one has to completely stop so as to let the other vehicle pass, and in that case the right to pass first should be given to the vehicle driving uphill. But I don't feel that it should be translated to allow hasty drivers to overtake irresponsibly, especially when there is enough room for two cars to pass comfortably.
I don't feel the need to slow down in such a case whether it is a hilly or a plain road. However, keeping in mind that I am responsible for the lives of other passengers as well as my own, I have had to brake when I have come face to face with such reckless overtakers. If I was driving a truck or a bus, and we had a fair justice system in place, I would just ram them and keep continuing to my destination.

Folks, i noticed an accident on elevated highway from Hebbal to Bangalore Intl Airport yesterday. It happened around 9pm and involved a truck and a swift. Couldnt take pics or video due to traffic but i noticed a swift with its rear completed bashed and gone and a truck parked further down. The plant lots on the middle median was also broken. Couldnt really figure out if the car jumped the median. Damage on the rear end was bad but people inside should have survived. It was on the direction towards the airport within few kms from Hebbal.

A Toyota Innova rear ended a Mahindra e2o this morning in front of Bageecha Restaurant, Marathahalli. The visible damage to the Innova was significant, even I saw fluid leakage (probably coolant) from the Innova. In comparison the e2o had minimal damage with a broken tail lamp. Considering that Innova is bigger and heavier than e2o, this was quite a surprise to me. Few images from my dash cam:

Mahindra e2o is made up of ABS body panels which is dent and scratch proof. Whereas other Cars use metal body panels.

ABS plastic is very tough.

The Innova might have hit the body structure / chassis of the E2O and suffered damage. Bonnet crumpled indicates a hit at moderate speeds. Coolant leakage usually occurs as the radiator is usually directly behind the front grill.

Quote:

Originally Posted by airbus (Post 4189426)
In comparison the e2o had minimal damage with a broken tail lamp. Considering that Innova is bigger and heavier than e2o, this was quite a surprise to me.

Doesn't E2O have its battery unit at the rear ??? I think the rear frame is reinforced to handle the payload.

But, I think E2O owner will be proud to see the damage his puny steed caused to the behemoth Innova. :uncontrol

Got a forward on Whatsaap .. A test drive GTI vehicle met an accident in Mysore SC and the result is so disheartening. I am wondering who is going to bear the repair bill as it most certainly be upwards of 10L

Quote:

Originally Posted by vin_b (Post 4189728)
Got a forward on Whatsaap .. A test drive GTI vehicle met an accident in Mysore SC and the result is so disheartening. I am wondering who is going to bear the repair bill as it most certainly be upwards of 10L

All Company operated cars, either for Test drives or for promotions will have a complete Insurance coverage.

Even this very same car which met with an accident during the test drive was well covered with B2B Insurance coverage.

The dealers usually try to show it as a write off hence they get complete ex-showroom price - Reason? usually the dealers will have RTI along add-on coverage for all their promotional and test drive cars.

This isn't the first incident or experience these showroom's or dealers have come across.

They usually don't burden their customers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaaz (Post 4189465)
Mahindra e2o is made up of ABS body panels which is dent and scratch proof. Whereas other Cars use metal body panels.

ABS plastic is very tough.

In this case, the toughness of the ABS is in no way responsible for damaging the Innova. It's not that strong at all in this application (almost like a PU bumper). The steel structure below it must be responsible.

The ABS body panels however would have happily returned to close to their original position & look, completely masking actual damage that the structure of the e2o might have suffered.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vin_b (Post 4189728)
Got a forward on Whatsaap .. A test drive GTI vehicle met an accident in Mysore SC and the result is so disheartening. ... ... ...

Why? Accidents can be anything from a scratch through a dent to complete destruction --- of any car.

But (and I know this question can lead to pages of speculation on this thread, so sorry for starting it ;)) what happened here?

From what we can see, and we do not know what happened to the removed parts, the front of the car is in reasonably good shape but the engine is knocked out of place. What could have happened: a concrete block on the bonnet? Or... ?