Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2009, 09:53   #2386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
So you spend more time than usual by looking at the rear view mirrors to know who is coming fast at you?!
Guess we are going completely OT here! There is one whole thread on highway driving etiquette and this was one hot topic of discussion over there!
Old 21st May 2009, 09:55   #2387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Guess we are going completely OT here! There is one whole thread on highway driving etiquette and this was one hot topic of discussion over there!
Oops!

Sorry about going offtopic mate!
Old 21st May 2009, 11:20   #2388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Anyone who frequents this Blr-Mlr route will agree that the Volvo drivers (especially Airawat) drive recklessly like mad. Overtaking with such close shaves, swaying swinging, speeding - they misuse the power of these buses to the fullest extent with no concern to other road users.

Two stretches on which even Volvo drivers are beaten (from my experience) : (a) Managalore to Udupi; (b) Calicut to Cannanore.

Only when the roads are divided, the head on crashes will be reduced - till such time only prayer and stars can help!!

I fully agree that the drivers misuse the power of these buses - we aren't ready for such powerful vehicles on the road - these drivers are just another normal guy when out of the buses but become monsters when occupying the drivers seat!
Old 21st May 2009, 14:49   #2389
Senior - BHPian

Guys got a news that one more Volvo bus has involved in accident yesterday night.

Anyone have the pictures of the KSRTC Volvo bus accident near Belgaum which was carrying 45 Infosys employees, the bus going towards Pune from Mysore and had left Mysore at 10PM.

Last edited by gowda79 : 21st May 2009 at 14:54.
Old 21st May 2009, 15:15   #2390
BHPian

Unfortunate that 5 people died in this accident, RIP.
Old 21st May 2009, 15:28   #2391
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Guys got a news that one more Volvo bus has involved in accident yesterday night.

Anyone have the pictures of the KSRTC Volvo bus accident near Belgaum which was carrying 45 Infosys employees, the bus going towards Pune from Mysore and had left Mysore at 10PM.
Yes me too heard this on Headlines today! Very unfortunate loss.
RIP
Old 21st May 2009, 15:35   #2392
Senior - BHPian

That's really unfortunate! RIP to the departed! Guess another case of a volvo bus in an accident!
Old 21st May 2009, 15:52   #2393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
Unfortunate that 5 people died in this accident, RIP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Yes me too heard this on Headlines today! Very unfortunate loss.
RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
That's really unfortunate! RIP to the departed! Guess another case of a volvo bus in an accident!
Yes it was indeed 5 people died and i guess the speed on this vehicle is the contributor for such accidents, needs to be done something seriously by the KSRTC dept.

Think they should install speed controllers on these Volvo buses to see it is driven at a safer speed.
Old 21st May 2009, 15:55   #2394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
these drivers are just another normal guy when out of the buses but become monsters when occupying the drivers seat!
Isnt it mandatory for the driver to be trained by Volvo or so ?
Old 21st May 2009, 16:25   #2395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Overtaking with such close shaves, swaying swinging, speeding - they misuse the power of these buses to the fullest extent with no concern to other road users.
Absolutely another case of high speed rash and negligent driving.
Recent times have been traveling often on 300-500 kms trips in Govt.buses. My preference would the first seat just to enjoy the road view and observe the driver mannerism on road. Found that most of these buses were not maintained properly and all sort of noises were coming from every pieces on bus. Invariably these buses have very poor pick up & struggle to pull in initial stages even on plains. When these drivers were on a roll after gaining momentum , last thing they wanted to do is BRAKE the bus to slow down.

They overtake slow moving lorries and you see another heavy vehicle in opposite direction. I bet myself whether its possible to make it or not & every time I say "NO", I lose it. They just move ahead with closing in the gap on left with the vehicle they are overtaking & wanted to vehicle from opposite direction to give way for them to cut through. In this process the vehicle being overtaken brakes a bit to let the overtaking vehicle cut through. All the three has to time perfectly to make this happen. Even if one party miss that, they end up in crash.

While chatting with the drivers he casually said " Adhu ellam onnum problem ella sir, niruthina thirumba vegam edukarathu kastam" (Doing that way is not a problem sir, If I slow down its difficult to gain the momentum again quickly"

Hence I took a lesson of not playing around with Govt.buses when they were in the process of overtaking.
Old 21st May 2009, 16:30   #2396
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
When these drivers were on a roll after gaining momentum , last thing they wanted to do is BRAKE the bus to slow down.
Private buses agreed! Whats up with Government drivers? Whats the hurry? As if anyone is going to ask "Why are you late?"
Old 21st May 2009, 16:37   #2397
Senior - BHPian

Got this picture from a friend and no idea whether this is the same accident which we are talking here

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accident.jpg
Old 21st May 2009, 16:43   #2398
Senior - BHPian

Picture of the Volvo accident near Belgaum

Picture taken from here Five Infosys employees killed in accident at Sankeshwar | All About Belgaum
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accidentns.jpg

Seems to be a pretty bad accident.

Edit: Could it be a case of too many Volvos' these days has meant the earlier system of training drivers has gone for a toss

Last edited by pypkmsrikanth : 21st May 2009 at 16:48.
Old 21st May 2009, 17:08   #2399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Got this picture from a friend and no idea whether this is the same accident which we are talking here
Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Picture taken from here Five Infosys employees killed in accident at Sankeshwar | All About Belgaum

Seems to be a pretty bad accident.

Edit: Could it be a case of too many Volvos' these days has meant the earlier system of training drivers has gone for a toss
these two are the same vehicle, i think.
Old 21st May 2009, 17:33   #2400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Private buses agreed! Whats up with Government drivers? Whats the hurry? As if anyone is going to ask "Why are you late?"
Govt buses too have to keep time & explain the reason if there was an unusual delay. That is the reason they enter into all cities (not getting into bypass roads) to make time entry into the ledgers kept at Depots. Agreed that slowing down "n' picking up the speed is not going to consume more time & that is not the reason for not slowing down.

Its the feel not to slow down and restart all again especially with those poor pick up buses. Something like we ask our family members to ensure that they pick every item in one store and not to stop at every other they come across. This attitude of bus drivers is one of the reason for head-on collisions.

Last edited by Surprise : 21st May 2009 at 17:34.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks