Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2017, 06:18   #24016
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Now I don't have anything against the age group, but if you do a bit of survey, this is very sinister. And sad.
They have extremely fragile egos as well.. its like "what's your problem dood" "I'm entitled" "mere maa baap bhi kuch nahi bolte" types. They simply do not understand how the earth works and how they are ruining the fabric of society by being themselves.

More than the age problem I think its a tech generation problem.. I wasn't like this when I entered my 20's (which was just a decade ago) and even with this minute age-gap I still feel I can't relate to the current lot of 20's. Today it's all about feeling entitled and being unique and rebellious and what not. They know how to be sarcastic, even vitriolic in their defense but they crumble when facing the heat.

Reminds me of the time a rash driving adrenaline junkie tried to enter a one-way the wrong way and blocked my car in the process.. I merely waved in irritation to him to take the side and be on his way and then his "ego" got hurt and he started with the dissing and gestures.. I got out the door and walked to him and away he ran LOL. I blame the traffic cops and overall pathetic road rule enforcement in the country.. just a couple of thousand examples of harsh punishment for triple riding/rash driving/underaged riding will put the fear of hell into such people.
dark.knight is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th July 2017, 10:47   #24017
Senior - BHPian

Today just narrowly missed me getting famous on this thread by becoming a victim. I was riding to office and was on the sarjapur road near the fire station round about (if I can call that). There is a u turn at that spot and so you will see almost the entire road being taken over by people wanting to take the U turn and proceed towards Haralur road. I was on the extreme left and was in speeds of 20-30 kmph. Slightly further and just in front of the fire station the road curves a little and also generally trucks & few vehicles will be parked there creating a blind spot at the curve. Now there are couple of apartments there and many people drive on the wrong side from there to enter the road towards haralur. As soon as I entered the curve near the fire station, I got the shock of my life when I see 3 two wheelers coming at me and at fairly high speeds. I had to stomp my brakes so hard ( I think I was around 30-40 kmph) and my bike fishtailed. I somehow managed to control and didnt fall down. Those folks didnt even bother and went off . What bothers me were that they were all looking like educated folks and one of them even had a kid probably dropping to school I guess. I dont understand what kind of education they have had.

Below I have tried to manage to portray the situation in what I call a masterpiece but what you all can call as a gibberish drawing (I know its much worse than a kindergarten kid. )

Orange line is me and the red line are the 2 wheeler's. The two small grey rectangles are the trucks parked in front of fire station.
Attached Images

TorqueyTechie is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th July 2017, 11:23   #24018
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickstead View Post
It is good to see that the driver of the Honda City coming in the opposite direction has enough time and presence of mind to observe the I20 and to steer away from it's path.
Definitely impressive that he was clued in to what was happening ahead! However, he got very lucky -- because if the scooter guy (probably in his blind spot) was just a little further ahead, the Honda City would have ended up side-swiping him, possibly leading to another major injury or innocent death.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot-20170713112709.png

Given our densely 2-wheelered roads, I always prefer to brake first and then evaluate an evasive maneuver after quickly checking mirrors.

It's a habit you have to form with a lot of discipline, and a conscious choice that you're willing to risk a lot of damage rather than even take a small chance that you might knock a biker (or full family) off their 2-wheeler.

The same thing applied (brake hard, rather than swerve) might have also prevented the Eeco from being collateral in the Dzire-Lambo-Eeco accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
the deceased was moving with his rickshaw-cart on the wrong direction of the road, it cannot be brushed aside that rickshaw-cart is a slow moving vehicle
A slow moving vehicle coming at even 20 km/h the wrong way can make it a 100 km/h accident!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Orange line is me and the red line are the 2 wheeler's.
Arggh. This really pisses me off.

I bet they do this at the same time every morning. I'd even consider going back, taking a video of them doing it, and then having a word with them for putting you (and their children / themselves) in danger.

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th July 2017 at 12:31.
Rehaan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th July 2017, 12:05   #24019
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post

I bet they do this at the same time every morning. I'd even consider going back, taking a video of them doing it, and then having a word with them for putting you (and their children / themselves) in danger.
I have tried doing this and its of no use. Be prepared for answers like 'You are not my Father'.

Any knowledge (Gyan) given to especially the younger ones and the above reply has become standard. Be more assertive and they will be willing to pick a fight.

Sad but eventually Karma will catch up with them.
tazmaan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2017, 12:36   #24020
Team-BHP Support

Note from Mod: Posts from the Dzire-Lambo-Eeco crash have been consolidated into this discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
I have tried doing this and its of no use. Be prepared for answers like 'You are not my Father'.
Quite likely, though in this case:
1) Seems to be an older, more mature/working crowd
2) They had kids with them (helps to emphasize that even if you risk your own life, don't risk your kids' lives)
3) It's not just a moral schpeel, they actually almost got TorqueyTechie into an accident!
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2017, 22:57   #24021
Senior - BHPian

Got this as a forward - car jumped the divider and hit the tempo traveller on NH 66 at Uchila, Udupi District, Karnataka.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20170713wa0015.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20170713wa0014.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20170713wa0016.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20170713wa0017.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20170713wa0018.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20170713wa0019.jpg

The car most probably aquaplaned as there are spots on that stretch where water logs.

Last edited by samaspire : 13th July 2017 at 22:59.
samaspire is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 03:38   #24022
Senior - BHPian

Not an accident but a near miss for the car coming in the opposite lane. Luckily most of the cars were going slow, I was doing 20-30 kmph.

I know it's not safe to use mobile and drive.
Old 14th July 2017, 08:15   #24023
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Got this as a forward - car jumped the divider and hit the tempo traveller on NH 66 at Uchila, Udupi District, Karnataka.

The car most probably aquaplaned as there are spots on that stretch where water logs.
So, if the car jumped the divider, how on earth did it end up getting rear ended? Did it spin 180-degrees after going across to the other side?
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 08:20   #24024
Team-BHP Support

The rigidity of the Etios makes me queasy. I would have assumed the impact speed was high but the Tempo is relatively unscathed (note the word relatively). Note the windscreen impact marks due to head impact
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 08:37   #24025
Senior - BHPian

Saw this post on rushlane: https://www.rushlane.com/valet-crash...-12246615.html

The article states that the owner of the Rapid, handed over his car to the Valet at The Park Hotel in Somajiguda in Hyderabad, only to have the Valet crash it. He was then apparently promised that the Hotel would compensate/repair damage to his car and given a loaner car in the meanwhile, but after several days of silence, was contacted by the Hotel urging him to take the matter to the police and threatening that they would claim he stole the loaner car.

Hard to say what's what at this stage but if what the owner of the Rapid claims is true, then this is absolutely despicable behavior IMO
Old 14th July 2017, 08:58   #24026
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
So, if the car jumped the divider, how on earth did it end up getting rear ended? Did it spin 180-degrees after going across to the other side?
If it actually aquaplaned hit the divider, it would have mostly started a spin since the front right tyre would be the first point of contact with the divider. Hence, by the time it reached the opposite side, maybe not 180 degree but the rear left corner has hit the tempo. Hence the car is deformed diagonally. It should have happened at a high speed for so much damage to have occurred.

These days repeated incidents of vehicles jumping dividers has made me a little nervous to drive in stretches where the road has a thick bush on the divider. Once upon a time I used to appreciate this concept since it would block the headlight beams of the opposite vehicles. But without proper guardrails, this is now turning out to be some game, starting with dogs appearing out of these bushes to cross to the road, followed by people, bikes and now cars and bigger vehicles jumping out into the path of oncoming vehicles which is almost impossible to dodge since we cant predict when something will pop out, what will pop out, how it will pop out into our path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Pathetic attitude by the hotel. But nothing new in the kind of law and order setup we have. Hence I make it a point to NEVER give my car to a valet. I dont understand the big deal in being received at the porch and someone driving away my car in an unknown fashion. I usually ask for the location of the parking, and if they dont have a dedicated parking setup, I usually dont go to such a place, or if going is not my choice I find a parking myself. That feeling of luxury which the valet gives will be short lived, and an expensive affair if something goes wrong.
audioholic is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 09:22   #24027
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickstead View Post
Here are the CCTV footages of yesterday's I20 crash in Banjara Hills Road no:3, Hyderabad.
On seeing this video, A friend told this to me and I kind of agree with him.
He said that, if the divider had been taller, chances of the car toppling would've been much lower. On impact the divider height pushed the tyre inside and the car toppled.
Had the divider been taller, it would've contained the car from toppling
Although not in all cases, but this being a curve, I think he is right.
hemanth.anand is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 11:22   #24028
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Had the divider been taller, it would've contained the car from toppling
Although not in all cases, but this being a curve, I think he is right.
True, but can we afford to have such tall dividers in so many places across the country and expect people to drive at such high speeds?

This is simply a case of immature and irresponsible driving.
LoneRidder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 12:25   #24029
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post
True, but can we afford to have such tall dividers in so many places across the country and expect people to drive at such high speeds?

This is simply a case of immature and irresponsible driving.
Definitely a case of bad driving. Absolutely no arguments about it.

We can afford anything that can save lives. In this case, All I wanted to convey was we must "Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst". Hope that drivers drive as they should, but prepare the road for such worst case scenarios.
The road developers with Traffic police also can design the road to make it more safer for everyone.
As someone wrote, there is a downward gradient and a curve at this spot. Someone else wrote that they have seen another car topple in the same spot. So, i guess its an accident prone area. Imagine if that i20 had hit that City-for no fault of his, he would've paid a huge penalty.
The main point I wanted to stress on was that while designing the traffic features, we must do it with some thought put into it (which is unfortunately lacking to a great extent in our country)

Again, I'm saying, it was completely the driver's fault.
hemanth.anand is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 13:22   #24030
BHPian

Quote:
It's a habit you have to form with a lot of discipline, and a conscious choice that you're willing to risk a lot of damage rather than even take a small chance that you might knock a biker (or full family) off their 2-wheeler.
I absolutely agree with this and try to follow it. On my daily route in Pune, many or rather most vehicles would rather swerve to avoid a little pothole without caring about the amount of ripple that they cause. Even bus drivers of huge buses carrying company people do it on a regular basis.

:

In my previous IT company, I used to travel by the company bus everyday. The driver as usual most of the times tried to run red lights and generally intimidate smaller vehicles. Now many of us did not speak out. But one particular gentleman gave the driver a piece of his mind. Not that it affected his driving much. Later on I found out that the guy was the head of Facilities in my company. So maybe that was why he could speak out but I was glad that at least someone let the driver know that his driving was causing stress to his passengers.
luvDriving is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks