Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2017, 12:51   #24766
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post

I don't know why people are speaking of structural rigidity concerns here! The main body Shell which is the main "structure" is being replaced! Also, the lucky "CAR" which the owner speaks of will not be the same car at all after the job! Except for the engine and some other crumbs. And wheels maybe.

Am I missing something here?
Most commuters are unibodies. If the body shell being mentioned includes the frame underneath, then yes, the whole car, more less, is being replaced. However, I do believe the frame will be straightened, and the "body shell" in all probability implies the body panels. In either case, sentimentality is taking over common sense.
Old 3rd October 2017, 13:27   #24767
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Most commuters are unibodies. If the body shell being mentioned includes the frame underneath, then yes, the whole car, more less, is being replaced. However, I do believe the frame will be straightened, and the "body shell" in all probability implies the body panels. In either case, sentimentality is taking over common sense.
In the case of the SX4 here, there is no separate body and frame. The shell will be similar to what is posted here by pixantz and it will contain the entire structure of the car. The separate body parts are the doors, boot and bonnet, fenders and bumpers. Hence, the damaged parts neednt be tinkered with. The interior bits and the powertrain will be removed from the damaged shell and transplanted into the new shell. Since in this case most of the outer panels are damaged too, they will be replaced with new panels. The body shell of the SX4 costs around 2L IIRC. The rest of the money will go into the other parts and massive labour.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2017, 13:58   #24768
BHPian

Quote:
With all respect, from all the posts above, I get it that we understand that the BODY SHELL of the said car is being replaced. Now if that is true and my general knowledge serves me right, the whole body Shell IS a WHOLE NEW CAR in itself. It's about 90 percent of a car, right?
Now in this case, it's the whole "car". At least more than 90% of it. So the only thing left do add will be exterior body panels (which are totalled in this car and will have to be new, I guess) like doors, boot-lid, bonnet, bumpers, lights, etc, interiors, suspension frame, the suspension components themselves and the engine and wheels. Most of these components will have to be new as well in this case.

I don't know why people are speaking of structural rigidity concerns here! The main body Shell which is the main "structure" is being replaced! Also, the lucky "CAR" which the owner speaks of will not be the same car at all after the job! Except for the engine and some other crumbs. And wheels maybe.
Absolutely agree with you here. Reminds me of Theseus's Paradox
If you change much of the car, will it even be the same lucky car?
Link to Theseus's Paradox
Old 3rd October 2017, 13:58   #24769
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
In the case of the SX4 here, there is no separate body and frame. The shell will be similar to what is posted here by pixantz and it will contain the entire structure of the car. The separate body parts are the doors, boot and bonnet, fenders and bumpers. Hence, the damaged parts neednt be tinkered with. The interior bits and the powertrain will be removed from the damaged shell and transplanted into the new shell. Since in this case most of the outer panels are damaged too, they will be replaced with new panels. The body shell of the SX4 costs around 2L IIRC. The rest of the money will go into the other parts and massive labour.
This is how a typical bodyshell looks like:

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-insigniashell.jpg

It doesn't need any welding. Only bolt on parts like doors, panels etc will be added.

In case of the SX4, the body shell costs Rs. 2,62,500. None of the metal panels including the suspension sub frame and alloys will be reused. It will be like complete reassembly at the MASS. The only thing which won't be 100% perfect will be the fit and finish, which will need multiple visits to fix.

The labour for shell replacement is actually much lesser compared to say cutting the panels/straightening shell on car-o-liner etc.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2017, 13:58   #24770
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
In the case of the SX4 here, there is no separate body and frame.
Correct. All cars are unbodies now. Now body-on-ladder-frame types. Well, except for some old-school Tata SUV's/Muv's maybe.

The "frame" that I mentioned is a part I don't know the exact name for(it's called "dhadi" local language), and is a frame type apparatus which doesn't run underneath the whole car from front to back like before, but is divided into two separate parts, one for front suspension and one for the back. It's basically a frame to connect the car body to the suspension. For example, in the front, the wheel hub, steering rack, struts and all related paraphernalia are fitted onto this guy and this guy fits onto the car body.

Attaching a reference image for front and back ones of SX4:

Front:
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1507019022109.jpg

Rear guy:
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1507019070523.jpg

Hope this makes it clearer.

The front guy tends to get bent in frontal collisions and is best if replaced. But lots of folks do juggads and hammer them to be as best as possible and reuse it. Not an ideal thing to do though.

In a toppling situation these guys may be saved from damage and reused.

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd October 2017 at 15:33. Reason: Removing additional space
pixantz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 22:18   #24771
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Godzilla View Post
I too wondered why and how could Europe & UK allow

If a person has driven only in India or any other country which does not maintain EU or UK standards, allowing to drive, is a major flaw in their rules and a liability let loose.

Cheers!
This is based on an international agreement (1949 UN Convention on Road Traffic, Geneva) that allows member nations' short term visitors to drive in other member nations. You can't discriminate based on some assumption that drivers from X country are better than Y country. Similarly most visitors to India can also drive here temporarily.
Old 5th October 2017, 05:32   #24772
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
This is based on an international agreement (1949 UN Convention on Road Traffic, Geneva) that allows member nations' short term visitors to drive in other member nations. You can't discriminate based on some assumption that drivers from X country are better than Y country. Similarly most visitors to India can also drive here temporarily.
Thanks for the information.
However there is no assumption here, it is reality that drivers from X country are better than Y country, whether we like it or not.

So that 1949 agreement requires a major overhaul.
Jr Godzilla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 14:03   #24773
Senior - BHPian

Accidents on Leh -Manali route

1. Blind corner for both vehicles and they were at speed and this happened - Full length scratches and few broken windows for TT.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20170925_092307.jpg

2. Innova was said to be at a very high speed and couldnt control. It hit/pushed the lorry to the side before rebounding to the edge of the road; plain lucky that Innova stopped at the edge, its a very steep cliff on the other side of the road. (not visible in the pic - Innovas rear left tire is on air)
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_20170928_112314378.jpg
arjithin is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 10:23   #24774
Senior - BHPian

Four students killed in a car accident at Ramanagara, Bangalore-Mysore road.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ram.jpg Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ram1.jpg

The news is in Malayalam. Could not find an English version.
Courtesy:
http://www.mathrubhumi.com/news/kera...75?pq=1.536818
balenoed_ is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 11:40   #24775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Four students killed in a car accident at Ramanagara, Bangalore-Mysore road.
All four were MBBS students.
And the truck had lost its control due to overspeed , hitting divider first and then completely crushing the car. SO unfortunate.

johannskaria is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 18:19   #24776
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannskaria View Post
... hitting divider first and then completely crushing the car.
There is no question about the massive crushing force of the truck on the car (Verna), however, it would not be unreasonable to expect the passenger frame of the car to maintain its integrity and hold up without crumbling and provide some survivable space to the occupants.

Having come across a number of similar occurences in the same thread, the European variants (Mercs, VWs, Fiats) cabin/cage seem to hold up a lot better. Not intending to nitpick here but cannot help mentioning numerous such instances of the Verna's cabin disintegrating way too easily.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 6th October 2017 at 18:21.
Old 7th October 2017, 10:55   #24777
BHPian

Quote:
And the truck had lost its control due to overspeed , hitting divider first and then completely crushing the car. SO unfortunate.
The printed version of today's Mathrubhumi and other newspapers say that the car lost control, jumped the divider and hit head-on with the truck.
http://www.thenewsminute.com/article...arnataka-69508

Last edited by A350XWB : 7th October 2017 at 11:00.
A350XWB is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2017, 11:58   #24778
BHPian

Quote:
As per today's Mathrubhumi and Times reports, the car was speeding, jumped the divider and crashed into the truck in the opposite lane. Earlier reported that the car was headed to Bengaluru, giving an impression that tragedy struck at the fag end of a journey. Now it appears the trip - a short one- was in search of food...though the person who drove the car alone was responsible for the tragic loss of other three young lives, their collective obligation for a safe trip and hinting the driver to maintain sane speeds should have worked.

I used to be a regular in this route a couple of years ago. I think the reported location has properly elevated divider with bush plantings, and it takes a little effort for a sedan to cross over to the other side. My sympathies with the truck driver, couldn't help at all when the car literally flew into his truck. I seldom find the colour of the vehicles discussed in this thread, I stand to get corrected if not. Don't you think in this case (a black Verna at 3 45 AM) a brighter coloured vehicle would have alerted the reflex of the truck driver faster for a dodging maneuver? Of course there are elements such as approach speed, headlights, other vehicles on road, etc. but still, just my two cents...
Nalin Kumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2017, 16:53   #24779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
There is no question about the massive crushing force of the truck on the car (Verna), however, it would not be unreasonable to expect the passenger frame of the car to maintain its integrity and hold up without crumbling and provide some survivable space to the occupants.
The truck's massive overhang made it worse by taking in more of the car under it, i guess.
Old 7th October 2017, 21:31   #24780
BHPian

Quote:

Wow. What was the accident? That car seems totalled!
Yes, I guess it was. Caused a major traffic snarl on the away. All the 3 passengers in the car miraculously escaped with minor injuries I was told.

Last edited by Samurai : 8th October 2017 at 13:47. Reason: too many typos

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks