Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2017, 15:35   #24991
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suryendu87 View Post
One more Whatsapp Forward.

Although the etios slowed down considerably for the water logged area, the mini truck was driven way above speed for these kind of conditions.

Aquaplaning coupled with poor driving skill. Many times you need to pay for stupidity of people around you.

Any suggestions of evasive action on part of the etios driver?
Wait a minute there !

This is not a CCTV footage, there was somebody on a bike filming this accident specifically. What was he upto?

He could have been a known person to either the truck driver or the Etios driver, and they might have planned to do a video shoot of the car splashing water?

Possible??
aravind.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2017, 17:04   #24992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Wait a minute there !

This is not a CCTV footage, there was somebody on a bike filming this accident specifically. What was he upto?

He could have been a known person to either the truck driver or the Etios driver, and they might have planned to do a video shoot of the car splashing water?

Possible??
Good observation. Probably he just saw some vehicles splashing water and was waiting for the next vehicle to do it. Waiting for a funny video, he got an action thriller! Lucky that the etios escaped and more lucky that the tempo didn't cross to other side of the road, which would've been fatal.

Btw, I slightly disagree to those who put most of the blame on etios driver. That tempo shouldn't be driven this fast considering the weather and vehicles in front.
Midas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2017, 17:11   #24993
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midas View Post
Btw, I slightly disagree to those who put most of the blame on etios driver. That tempo shouldn't be driven this fast considering the weather and vehicles in front.
Exactly! The way I see it is that water generally collects near the median the most.
The Etios therefore tried to stay in the center as he was overtaking the significantly slower bike, but also trying to avoid splashing into water.

The tempo driver was simply driving too fast - for reasons unknown to us. He could've seen the biker clearly and given the road conditions should've been extra careful - he didn't maintain adequate distance, and neither did he brake on time. The only argument I can make is that he didn't expect the Etios to reduce his speed so much given the road is fairly devoid of traffic.

What the Etios driver did is what most drivers do on bad and wet roads and it is one of the most basic things to watch out for!
Old 9th November 2017, 17:30   #24994
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
The LCV with such load on its back would not have expected this, tried its best to avoid a collision and ended up climbing the median and then the sequence of events.
The LCV is practically empty - clearly seen towards the end. I think he was way over the speed limit to begin with.

I have seen these empty tempos/407s run like maniacs on highways and downhill stretches. I usually allow them a wide berth. Key is to be aware of your surroundings at all times.

Attaining speeds is easy these days, stopping in time is another story.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2017, 18:16   #24995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suryendu87 View Post
One more Whatsapp Forward.

Although the etios slowed down considerably for the water logged area, the mini truck was driven way above speed for these kind of conditions.

Aquaplaning coupled with poor driving skill. Many times you need to pay for stupidity of people around you.

Any suggestions of evasive action on part of the etios driver?
Attaching the pictures from the same accident.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-002c54c02b674e019d6b2667ac0d92df-1.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-002c54c02b674e019d6b2667ac0d92df.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-023be319555b420cb8bada81f4259963.jpg  

Last edited by SDP : 9th November 2017 at 19:48. Reason: Please remove video links from quoted portion
Mr.Bangalore is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th November 2017, 21:48   #24996
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
A little off topic, but I am curious to know what happens to the drivetrain when a forward moving car like this Etios suddenly turns 180 degree and starts moving backwards?
Sorry about an off topic response-

Probably the driver had kept the clutch pressed in panic the moment he shook? Or was it just skidding back?
Old 9th November 2017, 22:36   #24997
BANNED

I have been a frequent user of Yamuna Expressway as well as other highways, the biggest issue I have seen is that even if there is fog, near zero visibility, drivers still keep on driving at at least 60-70-80 kph; sometimes following others, sometimes in the confidence that there will be nothing on the highway. Back in December 2015, when I was on the Yamuna Expressway at around 7:30 am in morning, my chauffy was driving and me seated, following our rule of driving slow and keeping the windows down by an inch under the rain wiser (so that we can hear sounds) we got to hear a loud thud, that was an accident on the opposite side (Delhi-Agra one), and probably 3-4 vehicles were involved.

What surprised me was that, while we were travelling in a proper big hulking SUV, we were still being very cautious and following the speeds between 30-60 kph depending on the visibility (very slow, always in left lane) and there used to be cars passing us doing 100 kph (we could see them for hardly a second or two before they vanished in fog). Fortunately there was no incident on the entire route that we may have come across; still the guardian angel is not always with you.

Here in the same YEW in incident that was posted yesterday:

Here is something even worse, that has happened on Delhi-Palwal stretch today morning, killing a 53 year old lady, watch video thoroughly and you can listen one more vehicle skidding, followed by a loud thud:

This is the video of the accident that happened last day in Bhatinda, death toll at 14 now:
Warning - Viewer discretion advised

Last edited by VKumar : 9th November 2017 at 22:56.
VKumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2017, 22:48   #24998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Wait a minute there !
Could be a helmet mounted action cam of the biker. A lead, or a sweep in a group ride waiting for other bikers to catch up.

I do agree, that an accident scene is not an entertainment place. Way too many people hang out at the accident spot, hoping for fights to break out, hoping to see some action. People without training in First Aid, CPR, and trauma care, or people with no intention to help have no business standing there watching the show. If nothing, the ensuing traffic jam would prevent emergency care personnel from getting there. Get out of the way to enable emergency personnel to go help.

Also, looking at the highway accident filled with fog, why are the people standing on the median at the accident spot? People involved in such an accident related to visibility should always walk backwards a few hundred meters and flag down/slow down other cars. Standing next to these wrecked cars is very dangerous. The shrapnel, broken parts, or an entire car could come flying at anyone. In an accident with injuries on remote mountain roads (mostly riding motorcycle), I do these things.
1. Talk/Check if the victim is alright
2. Check if 911 (emergency) has been called, call 911 if you are not sure
3. Flag another motorist down. Make a quick judgement call on who stays with the accident victim, and who tries to prevent another accident.
4. One of the two - walks backwards at least 200 meters, and flags down all cars. Use a shirt, jacket, flashlight/whatever to get max attention from the roadside.
5. In areas with no cell coverage, always walk backwards to get to the highway call phone.

Another observation I made this summer while riding a Harley around Bangalore and Mysore is the blatant misuse of Hazard lights. It appears to me that these guys have hazard lights to do wheelies on the Yamuna expressway. Hazard lights have a purpose, if people use it all the time, it loses its true meaning.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2017, 08:21   #24999
Senior - BHPian

Didn't see that coming.

ecenandu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th November 2017, 08:31   #25000
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Didn't see that coming.
That could have been dangerous. Looks like the wheel wasn't fastened tight enough.

And wasn't the driver walking too casually towards the tyre
Old 10th November 2017, 08:54   #25001
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspal singh View Post
RIP Sleep deprivation is a possibility not a surety. ..
+1. Two points I would like to put forth:

1. On these expressways/highways the trucks, buses, tractors are usually parked either on the left or right most lanes. On such roads the speed of vehicles is usually high and keeping safe distance hardly anyone's worry. So,being in the center lane is recommended so as to avoid any surprises coming from behind bushes or parked vehicles or traffic from adjoining villages.

When we have been driving long through the day, we can surely make judgement errors like this truck which was parked but from far it may have "looked" like it's moving. But since there are no tire marks on the road, the Innova driver just didn't see the parked truck, which brings me to the 2nd point

2. Blind Overtaking: There are many videos about it. So, here there's a bigger vehicle in front of your car/bike, both doing high speed (without keeping much safe distance) and then the car at the back decides to change lanes to exit or stop or to over take from left or right. Now the correct way for the car at the back would be to slow down a bit, get a broader field of vision and then press on the gas to overtake knowing for sure if there's an object in front/beside the truck that wasn't visible earlier. But, due to fatigue, complacency or sheer lack of skill, the car at the back increases speed and fairly quickly moves into L or R lane only to BANG into a parked truck or bus or tractor or tempos (most common break down on highways)

Given that the Innova went *straight* into the truck, completely negates the sleeping theory for me, #2 looks more likely.

Drive safe folks. Few friends here are talking about not going above 100 on Indian roads. Fair enough, but if we don't plan actions safely (assuming that there are morons out there), our 100 kmph and the total speed of impact is easily enough to get all safety features of the car into action.

Anyhow, RIP the departed souls.
Old 10th November 2017, 11:04   #25002
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
That could have been dangerous. Looks like the wheel wasn't fastened tight enough.

And wasn't the driver walking too casually towards the tyre
The auto driver seems injured/hurt his hands and leg. He signals his hands and legs towards the end of the video. Probably he's in shock too, initially. The second time when they go to move the auto, the people, including the driver, seem more careful.
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th November 2017, 12:04   #25003
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Didn't see that coming.
He must be a just retired pilot who still thought he had wings

Wondering how would the nose lift up the moment the front tyre gave way. Isn't the front fork supposed to land and just screech on to the road. The rear wheels climb over the loosened rolling front tyre which brought its nose down. Else he would have continued in the nose up position all the way into the path of the bus.
balenoed_ is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2017, 12:23   #25004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post

Wondering how would the nose lift up the moment the front tyre gave way. Isn't the front fork supposed to land and just screech on to the road. The rear wheels climb over the loosened rolling front tyre which brought its nose down. Else he would have continued in the nose up position all the way into the path of the bus.
If you notice closely, the wheel rolls under the vehicle thereby lifting the front of the vehicle before it emerges out of the rear (0:13-0:14 seconds).
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2017, 12:23   #25005
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post

An Autorickshaw is a highly imbalanced vehicle. More so with this Autorickshaw which is a rear-engine, RWD version. I've driven an Autorickshaw (As a professional requirement) and it was pretty scary. I'm really not surprised at how it behaved.

This is how i think it flew up. Excuse the poor quality drawing done on MSPaint.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-untitled.jpg
I think this is how it went up, As the front wheel got detached, it rolled backwards and went below the vehicle body and it rose upwards. Later when the detached front wheel came under the rear wheel, it further jumped up and fell down. In all this, the driver's head hit the windshield and the windshield thrown away. Must have been a fibreglass windshield because it didn't break

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 10th November 2017 at 12:39.
hemanth.anand is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed