Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2017, 23:40   #25171
BANNED

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I hope that police managed to trace down the truck and put the driver behind bars. Absolutely no road sense - stopping in the middle of the road.
If you look thoroughly, then the truck seems to be parked next to the solid line, IMO if it is truck driver at fault, then Brezza driver is four times at fault by trying to overtake going across the solid line, he wasn't supposed to drive there and especially at the speed it was being driven.

Possibility of a last moment hard swerve though. R.I.P., no matter who was at fault, 2 precious lives are lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
He was trying to overtake a truck traveling in middle lane that too from the left side assuming that left side will be clear, big mistake. Only at the last moment he might have realized the stationary truck in the leftmost lane. He tried to swerve to left to avoid the truck, but by that time it was too late. The right front have got ripped apart taking those precious lives.
I guess there are only two lanes on that road, left and right. I felt like it was more of a high speed overtake maneuver gone wrong just because it was tried wrong way. We frequently come across such cars on highways where the drivers keep coming at very high speeds from behind and don't have patience to wait for any of the two available lanes to clear off (I have myself been there, but I thank God now that teenage hasn't taken my life) and directly throw the car across the solid line and pull out a high speed overtake. From the video, it is well evident that Brezza was indeed being driven at high speed and since it isn't night time, that means visibility wasn't an issue either.

I have a firm belief that he just entered the lane at a very high speed and got surprised to find a huge loaded truck parked there. This wasn't a broken down truck, by no means the driver would park it in the middle of any of the traffic lanes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Video of Brezza, watch the way truck calmly walks away
Shameful IMO, nobody did try to stop the truck at all, very shameful.
Old 3rd December 2017, 06:17   #25172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Shameful IMO, nobody did try to stop the truck at all, very shameful.
If no one around help the victim and IF people around to help, get off that scene and surrender to the next police station.
You certainly would not like to get lynched by a mob and also possibly have a burnt truck, in this case.
Whether the mistake was yours or not, NO one can reason with a MOB.

This is MY personal experience of being in India.

I am still amazed to see drivers like these end up like this, knowing the fact that you can have trucks or any vehicle stopped, broken down on any of the lanes.

Brezza Driver fault.

If you cannot SEE ahead (your first lesson of driving / riding), slow down however ASSUMPTION is in the back of most drivers minds.

RIP to the unfortunate.

Last edited by Jr Godzilla : 3rd December 2017 at 06:19.
Jr Godzilla is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2017, 11:08   #25173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
If you look thoroughly, then the truck seems to be parked next to the solid line, IMO if it is truck driver at fault, then Brezza driver is four times at fault by trying to overtake going across the solid line, he wasn't supposed to drive there and especially at the speed it was being driven.
It is clear from this screen grab that the truck is in fact across a solid white line or what at least seems to be one. There must be a higher quality version of the CCTV video.

Source: http://www.amarujala.com/photo-galle...ha-of-ludhiana
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ludhianaaccident_1512199132.jpeg  

shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2017, 11:14   #25174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
It is clear from this screen grab that the truck is in fact across a solid white line or what at least seems to be one... ]
I think the solid line is on the service road. The truck seems to be parked on the LHS of a divided highway and not really in the middle /wrong side of the road.

The majority of the mistake seems to be on the Brezza drivers part - high speed overtaking on the wrong side.

The callousness of the truck driver in moving off is astounding!
Old 3rd December 2017, 11:59   #25175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
I think the solid line is on the service road. The truck seems to be parked on the LHS of a divided highway and not really in the middle /wrong side of the road.
Here is a higher resolution video of the same. It is very clear the truck driver is parked with almost 90% of its width over the solid line or otherwise called the shoulder, thus absolving it from much of the wrong doing at least on paper. However he could have done a lot better by parking on the service lane instead or at least completely over the solid line.

The accident could have easily been much worse if it was a family waiting by the side in a small hatchback or something.

As far as the truck leaving and probably surrendering to a Police Chowki down the road, it's a wise thing to do as in such cases most of the ire gets directed on the truck drivers, maybe get beaten up or even killed.

shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2017, 13:27   #25176
BHPian

It seems the truck was parked on the shoulder and the stupid Brezza driver was driving on the shoulder and ultimately wanted to oveftake from dirt. Ignorant driving to say the least. Shoulders are meant for emergency parking and emergency vehicles, NOT driving on them.

Truck driver is no way at fault also people need to drive at saners speeds. I hope the speed freak bhpians amongst us stop doing this.
desiaztec is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2017, 14:18   #25177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiaztec View Post
It seems the truck was parked on the shoulder and the stupid Brezza driver was driving on the shoulder and ultimately wanted to oveftake from dirt.
Seems like leftmost lane to me.
I agree the speed of Brezza is bad, but highway parking by trucks is one of the major causes of accidents in India - either direct hit to the back or last minute swerve hitting other vehicles / curb / mediator.
Couldn't get the placement of trunk w.r.t road in the video. May be curvy road, may be driver drowsy.
iamswift is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2017, 15:41   #25178
BHPian

The Brezza accident happened on the NH-44 section(Ludhiana-Delhi Highway) its a 6 lane highway, I frequent this road a lot and 90% of the drivers do this kind of criss-cross overtaking at high speeds especially from the left side without seeing whats in the left most lane. It's a very common practice, people just dont have the patience for the right or middle lane traffic to clear/pass so that the overtake can be performed. As far as this accident is concerned it can be clearly seen the ill-fated brezza driver was doing very high speeds and didnt bother to slow down and when he finally spotted the truck it was too late he actually tried to swerve to the service lane as can be seen but the speed was too high. According to other pictures which are viral on social media(but not fit to post here) the airbags have deployed so safe to assume that the occupants were wearing seat belts plus the front passenger survived the crash. As for the blame, truck driver can also be blamed but IMO rash driving/over speeding is the main cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Godzilla View Post
If no one around help the victim and IF people around to help, get off that scene and surrender to the next police station.
Truck driver didnt surrender, he just sped away as per news reports, though police has done the usual - booking him with death due to negligence and other cases.
trinity0114 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 08:29   #25179
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Sad part being the truck could have been parked on the service road instead of the left side of the main road.
And the fact that he moved out after the collision says that it wasn't broken down either.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 08:53   #25180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity0114 View Post
It's a very common practice, people just dont have the patience for the right or middle lane traffic to clear/pass so that the overtake can be performed.
So true! I was driving to Jaipur on Friday, crusing in the middle lane, even though the fast lane was empty most of the cars overtaking me took the 3rd lane!

One can spot hundereds of trucks parked on the shoulder near Delhi on NH-44 and NH-48. They arrive early and leave for Delhi around the time they are allowed entry. It is a common sight to see cars zooming past these trucks at breakneck speeds in the 3rd lane.
sinharishi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 08:54   #25181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
Yes, very heartbroken!

Anybody with similar unfortunate experience as mine or have heard of time taken in such cases?
Talk to Vincy at the Body repair at Advaith Hyundai at ORR, one expert guy, he will give you a very reasonable estimate of time.
You are looking at a minimum of 2 weeks.
I think you should be taking compensation from the Indigo guy, as 1, You will loose your NCB,2 You will end up with a higher insurance premium from next year3, some parts may not be covered if you are not on bumper to bumper/zero dep cover.
Old 4th December 2017, 09:31   #25182
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
I am hearing that these repairs might take 2 weeks as the spare parts come from Chennai. Does that sound reasonable or unlikely?
I have heard stories of these jobs being done in a week's time to more than 1.5 months based on spare part availability

Anybody with similar unfortunate experience as mine or have heard of time taken in such cases?
2 weeks seems reasonable for such a big list of replacements for a new model like yours.
I'm surprised there is not dashboard component in the list...especially with the airbags inflated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
Talk to Vincy at the Body repair at Advaith Hyundai at ORR, one expert guy, he will give you a very reasonable estimate of time.
You are looking at a minimum of 2 weeks.
I think you should be taking compensation from the Indigo guy, as 1, You will loose your NCB,2 You will end up with a higher insurance premium from next year3, some parts may not be covered if you are not on bumper to bumper/zero dep cover.
Point #3 not applicable because he mentioned it is bumper to bumper cover.
But regarding point 1 and 2, I agree, bhpfaninblr should get that part compensated from the Manza owner, especially since he has a written acknowledgement from him
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 09:45   #25183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
^^^
Sad part being the truck could have been parked on the service road instead of the left side of the main road.
And the fact that he moved out after the collision says that it wasn't broken down either.
Agree.
It wasn't broken down, however now he has a broken spare wheel at the accident site, evidence enough for further investigation.

Last edited by Jr Godzilla : 4th December 2017 at 09:46.
Old 4th December 2017, 12:36   #25184
Team-BHP Support

Not necessarily applicable to this accident, but another reason for wrong lane driving is the lack of gap judgment for a surprisingly large chunk of drivers on our roads.

I've asked a few people over the years why they cruise in the fast lane, but overtake from the left. The answer in both cases is they're more comfortable judging gaps on the driver side, and passing someone from the right at high speed makes them nervous.

These weren't necessarily newbie drivers either.
Old 4th December 2017, 13:12   #25185
BHPian

Drunk and drive accident in Hyderabad on late Saturday night.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/61909201.cms

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks