Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2017, 13:45   #25186
BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I've asked a few people over the years why they cruise in the fast lane, but overtake from the left. The answer in both cases is they're more comfortable judging gaps on the driver side, and passing someone from the right at high speed makes them nervous.
Absolutely spot on. The right lane for most feels congested and the gap between the median and a truck very narrow. Then there are the "What if the truck comes to right, where do I go?" questions. In comparison, the left seems like an open bet with more space to offer and abundant run off area if anything does go south.

Here's a list of things most do not do on the highways while driving.

1. Give right indicator and flash headlamp once or twice to overtake, day or night. The right indicator is one the things that basically says you want to go right, keep right and pass right.

2. Once overtaking is done, move over to the left most lane.

3. Right lane is not for "going fast", it's for passing other cars. Most people mistake it as a lane to go fast in but "fast" is a relative term based on the driver and their vehicle capabilities. Many perceive that if they are going near the limit, it is OK to be on the right lane, which is wrong.

4. Maintain a safe distance, usually half of your speed, 50 meters for 100 kph, and get a clear view of the road ahead. Most believe in tailgating the vehicle in front and honking. Eventually when they overtake, they do so with a very narrow cone of vision blocked by the car in front.

But all these above only make sense if and only if

1. There are no tractors and bikes going the wrong way on the left most lane.
2. Cows and Sheep herds casually strolling about on the shoulder
3. Impromptu chai shops and breakfast stop "thelas" on the left
4. Tankers watering the median at 10 kph on the right most lanes

Consider these 4 and its easy to understand why most trucks and long distance travellers prefer to hog the right lane on most of our two lane dual carriageways, leaving the left lane only for overtaking.

Then there is the "Attitude of learned people", here's a recent story:

A few days back one of my neighbours got spooked by one of the school buses that come to pick up the kids everyday in the morning while walking her dogs. She got on to the common WhatsApp forum and within no time most of them deduced that the school buses be not allowed near the area and stop 500 meters outside as they are rash.

But what about the bus driving rashly somewhere else? With kids from the community in the bus? Everyday. The answer was a blood boiling "The bus can do whatever it wants to do everywhere but they are rash so we should not allow them here"

Not one person was willing to pick up their phone, google the numbers of these schools and put in a word to drive carefully for the greater good.
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 15:48   #25187
Senior - BHPian

Spotted this 2017 Verna P totalled near Acharapakkam.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_1834.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_1835.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_1836.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_1814.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_1816.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img_1817.jpg  

Old 4th December 2017, 18:40   #25188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
Talk to Vincy at the Body repair at Advaith Hyundai at ORR, one expert guy, he will give you a very reasonable estimate of time.
You are looking at a minimum of 2 weeks.
I think you should be taking compensation from the Indigo guy, as 1, You will loose your NCB,2 You will end up with a higher insurance premium from next year3, some parts may not be covered if you are not on bumper to bumper/zero dep cover.
I have given it to a different Advaith Hyundai showroom as I am far off from Dairy circle. If you know Vincy, and can whatsapp me your personal number, I can send you the list of parts and based on your comfort in sharing his details, I can talk to him on the timelines. Looks like 2 weeks is what most people suggest

I am on bumper to bumper and will be getting the quotation that will be sent for insurance only tomorrow. Am on Hyundai provided insurance
bhpfaninblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 10:02   #25189
BANNED

KRSTC Volvo and Durgamba bus met with an accident today near Sakaleshpur ,2 members died on spot as per the local news.
Construction work is going on between Hassan and sakaleshpur, due to this accident might have happened.
We have seen similar type of accidents on under construction roads. We should be extra cautious on these stretch till completion of road.
http://publictv.in/accident-between-...ba-bus-2-dead/
Old 5th December 2017, 10:26   #25190
Senior - BHPian

Today I kissed the turf when riding because of my mistake and lucky that I was not run over. There is a stretch of road where in one side is dug up for white topping and the other half is not and so there is a mismatch of road height. (This is near St. Johns hospital in koramangala for people from Bangalore). I entered that stretch from the dug up end and had to proceed towards the side which was not dug up. As there was a bike and car coming very fast I slowed down to allow them to pass before moving to left (I had the indicators on). I am suffering from cold because of the weather change and just when I was about to cross that intersection , got a sneeze at the worst possible moment. I sneezed lost control of the bike and fell. There was a bus which was coming slightly behind and luckily he was at slow speeds and he could control and missed me.

I thanked all the gods, stars what not today and thanked the bus driver too. No damage to bike and as for me, I have a torn jeans plus a big cut on my leg to show.
TorqueyTechie is online now   (33) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 14:17   #25191
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
... ... ... I am suffering from cold because of the weather change and just when I was about to cross that intersection , got a sneeze at the worst possible moment. I sneezed lost control of the bike and fell.
Good grief! What a thing that a sneeze nearly cost you your life!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 14:44   #25192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Good grief! What a thing that a sneeze nearly cost you your life!
You bet! That would have been one costly last sneeze of mine. My bike's front tire was also slightly close to the edge of the uneven surface and added to the bike getting unstable.
Old 5th December 2017, 15:39   #25193
BHPian

Quote:
Today I kissed the turf when riding ..... one side is dug up for white topping and the other half is not and so there is a mismatch of road height ..... I am suffering from cold because of the weather change .... got a sneeze ... and fell
All these are the reasons why I don't use my bike to commute to office anymore. I have a 2002 Hero Honda Ambition (obviously purchased 2nd hand 10 years ago as I was still a high school kid in 2002 ). The tiny tyres of it do not offer much grip and with the current situation of roads in our once wonderful city, I do not wish to take any chances. Last month, I had to drive alone for most of the days as my carpool partner chose not to pool and try out his office transport option. Still, I drove all alone and stayed away from the temptation to use the bike. Luckily, I got someone or the other to pool back on the way home. So, it was a one-way-single-occupancy drive. Since you also travel almost the same stretch, we could think of pooling.., only if our timings sync
vnidta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 17:25   #25194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is a stretch of road where in one side is dug up for white topping and the other half is not and so there is a mismatch of road height.
There are many such areas all over Pune where there is a mismatch in road surfaces due to weird road design during concretisation. Every day I see many two wheeler riders skidding on these up/ down surfaces.

Most of them are bikes with skinny tyres or Activas which people may not be able to balance while climbing up or down the road from one side to another. There are also various sections where interlocking tiles have been fitted at crossroads. Due to the consistent rains and ongoing usage by heavier vehicles the edges of these surfaces have turned quite slippery. This is resulting in a huge increase in the volume of accidents.

If one is lucky, they have scraped joints to show for it. Some less fortunate souls end up in the OPD or orthopedic departments of hospitals. Drivers of heavier vehicles also speed up so much that they have less time to react in case any of the bikers fall down or lose their balance.

I doubt any town planning or any other civic departments are looking into this issue at all. I intend to start something on these lines to help the relevant authorities address this issue. If you have any ideas or suggestions, please let me know how/ where we could start making a change. There is no point just waiting and watching the situation; we are told to do that at work anyway by our bosses
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 17:30   #25195
BHPian

Quote:
. I am suffering from cold because of the weather change and just when I was about to cross that intersection , got a sneeze at the worst possible moment. I sneezed lost control of the bike and fell.

This a very dangerous consequence of sneezing while on the road. I have faced a similar situation while riding my bicycle in my locality about a year back.
Recently I had been thinking about how even a car driver may lose control after a severe sneeze. Therefore I either try to control my sneeze for a moment or slow down pull to the left, sneeze then continue driving.
Storm2.0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 18:19   #25196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnidta View Post
Since you also travel almost the same stretch, we could think of pooling.., only if our timings sync
Thanks vnidta. Even I do car pooling but because of my errant timelines from past couple of months I started to ride often. I will definitely take up your offer once my timings reach sane levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Most of them are bikes with skinny tyres or Activas which people may not be able to balance while climbing up or down the road from one side to another. There are also various sections where interlocking tiles have been fitted at crossroads. Due to the consistent rains and ongoing usage by heavier vehicles the edges of these surfaces have turned quite slippery. This is resulting in a huge increase in the volume of accidents.
You said it man. The people who design the road should have some basic common sense about how the traffic pattern and the usage would be. You cannot have interlocking tiles/road mismatch on roads where the traffic density is high. But knowing the people at the top and the way they take ideas from the public I can only suggest everyone to ride safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm2.0 View Post
This a very dangerous consequence of sneezing while on the road. I have faced a similar situation while riding my bicycle in my locality about a year back.
Recently I had been thinking about how even a car driver may lose control after a severe sneeze. Therefore I either try to control my sneeze for a moment or slow down pull to the left, sneeze then continue driving.
Yes I know but in my case i was in the middle of traffic and when you have cold you generally don't have control on your sneezes/cough (well atleast I don't). When I drive I usually try to control it or sneeze after making sure that I am not (in) trouble from the traffic.
Old 6th December 2017, 00:36   #25197
Senior - BHPian

Saw this accident while driving to Pondicherry on 1st Dec on NH44 near Puliyancheri. One vehicle turned turtle and another had front damage.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-ac1.jpg  

Old 6th December 2017, 00:59   #25198
BANNED

Quote:
I thanked all the gods, stars what not today and thanked the bus driver too. No damage to bike and as for me, I have a torn jeans plus a big cut on my leg to show.
Whoa!!
I am going to leave riding right from today if I am suffering with a cold.

Sounds like an episode from 'final destination' in which the man won. Everything seems to have went out like a master plan, it's just that your stars were stronger than the plan and the bus was slower.

I tried to imagine it and a shiver ran down my spine even thinking of that moment, hair rose and I turned from a man into a Hedgehog, got back to senses and typed the post
VKumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 02:12   #25199
BANNED

This is insane. It's one of the reasons why I would suggest buying a used nano or Alto instead of a two wheeler. They are just not safe. Very lucky to escape unscathed
H_Dogg72 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 09:16   #25200
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Spotted this 2017 Verna P totalled near Acharapakkam.
Impressed with the body shell. It looks like a catastrophic multiple rollover accident but seems all the safety systems have deployed as they should.

Eminently survivable IF ALL occupants had their seat belts on.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed