Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2017, 23:24   #25321
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
A baleno with "L" board crashed on to an electric pole on the wrong side of a narrow road. Airbags deployed and heavy frontal damage as well. Probably a newbie who pressed the accelerator pedal instead of brakes or an overtaking gone terribly wrong.

Its advisable for all newbies to learn driving through a motor driving school under a good trainer. There are many advantages that include getting one's personal doubts and difficulties duly resolved, gain of driving confidence and lastly saving of the wear and tear ( and accidents too) that a new car undergoes with a new driver.

Only after the driving school does its job and the newbie driver is fully satisfied with his newly gained driving abilities, should he venture to drive his personal car all by himself or herself.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 23:25   #25322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_naik View Post
I always stick to 100-110kmph mark since anything below that is too slow for that stretch and anything above that is too dangerous for that stretch.
Agree, lot of unknowns on Indian highways. I also try to be below 100 kmph irrespective of how tempting the road is.

I have a written communication from the NHAI that Indian Highways Management Company Limited (IHMCL) is developing software to catch over-speeding violations using toll booth data. Distance from one toll to next toll is fixed and would require certain minimum time within prescribed speed limit. If someone is reaching earlier proves over-speeding. Similar system is currently in place in Tirumala (time bound travel requirement). For FASTag users, data is already available, they just need to use it
airbus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2017, 00:28   #25323
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Not an accident , but a nearly fatal one it could have been.

Wonder why the honda city moved to the right without any reason
Suicidal biker. Utterly stupid. I was going to say that perhaps the biker couldn't see the reason either, but mayankk spotted it. The biker either didn't, or ignored it. Failure to "read the road" and work out how things are going to change must be the cause of thousands of accidents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Mostly the biker's fault. There was a blind spot at the turn,
Overtaking on a blind curve. Actually, nothing more need be said. Suicidal act,

(and well spotted)
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2017, 11:37   #25324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post

I have a written communication from the NHAI that Indian Highways Management Company Limited (IHMCL) is developing software to catch over-speeding violations using toll booth data.
Do you mind sharing that communication with larger group? Curious to know more about it.
Old 21st December 2017, 12:24   #25325
BHPian

Accident near Karingachira. Huge block on the Seaport-Airport road in the morning. No other details. Got the images as Whatsapp forward.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1513839151632.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1513839167041.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1513839180760.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1513839192431.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1513839203728.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1513839213176.jpg  

Last edited by GeneralJazz : 21st December 2017 at 12:25.
GeneralJazz is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 21st December 2017, 12:36   #25326
BHPian

Car falls off Bangalore Airport elevated road.

News reports [1] [2]
Old 21st December 2017, 13:04   #25327
BHPian

https://www.ndtv.com/mumbai-news/mum...ome-topstories

Yet another accident on Pune-Mumbai expressway. I don't know why do people not take care of basics like health of tyres/speeds. Three dead. Sad.
Old 21st December 2017, 13:07   #25328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Do you mind sharing that communication with larger group? Curious to know more about it.
It wouldn't be a rocket science. If a car passes between two toll plaza which are 140kms apart in one hour then the avg speed of the car would be considered as 140kmph. The question is will they expect the average speed to be a few kmph less than the speed limit in order to pass non-overspeeding test? If so, how will they calculate it.

In hindsight, the restaurants near toll plaza will see some increase in revenues. People who oversped will take a break before the toll plaza.
bhavik.1991 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st December 2017, 13:15   #25329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
What happened to those Brifen ropes, which were supposed to avoid such accidents in first place? Entire e way should have these ropes as Tyre bursting does happen on Eway ( of course due to poor maintenance ).

Amazingly everyone in ritz survived.
Old 21st December 2017, 13:57   #25330
BHPian

https://www.ndtv.com/mumbai-news/mum...raffic-1790415
One more tyre burst incident on the Mumbai Pune Expressway !
Old 21st December 2017, 14:45   #25331
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

is Mum-Pune Eway concrete ? I've never been on it, but considering the huge number of grip loss or tyre burst cases, im tempted to ask. If it is concrete, it is a major blunder to do similar speeds that one would do on tar.
Old 21st December 2017, 14:56   #25332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
is Mum-Pune Eway concrete ? I've never been on it, but considering the huge number of grip loss or tyre burst cases, im tempted to ask. If it is concrete, it is a major blunder to do similar speeds that one would do on tar.
It is. Concrete surface + crazy speeds + badly maintained & inflated tyres is not a good combination to have unfortunately. From my limited knowledge, Tar offers a bit of cushioning and does not create the same level of heat build up in the tyres as Concrete has.
Bigzero is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2017, 14:58   #25333
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It is concrete end to end but till now there has been no concrete evidence when it comes to reasoning tire burst as the cause of the accident where the car jumps the corridor and collides with the traffic from the opposite direction.

It's now by default that all such accidents are written off as those caused by tire bursts whereas many would have suffered tire burst only after brushing or hitting against the medians.
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st December 2017, 15:04   #25334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
What happened to those Brifen ropes, which were supposed to avoid such accidents in first place? Entire e way should have these ropes as Tyre bursting does happen on Eway ( of course due to poor maintenance ).

Amazingly everyone in ritz survived.
Another report I read says that the Ritz driver died.

Regardless of whether this is true or not, this is ridiculous - that cars speed to the extent of jumping the large median strips and land in the path of oncoming traffic. Which is why I never stay in the fast lane if I can avoid it, and even prefer the one at the extreme left. But how many things can one defend against?
Sawyer is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st December 2017, 16:14   #25335
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Far greater speeds are done in western countries that predominantly have concrete roads. The problem(s) here are more about maintenance.

1) A majority of our population isn't conditioned to replace tyres at specific intervals (both time and kms driven); tyres are given least priority when it comes to replacement. Until a tyre goes bald, most people don't see the need for change. I've seen umpteen cabs being driven with decent tyres up front but bald ones at the back

2) Tyre pressures are rarely monitored; wonder how many people make it a point to check air pressure periodically (fortnightly); more so, at least know what the right pressure should be

Last edited by libranof1987 : 21st December 2017 at 16:24.
libranof1987 is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks