Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2017, 16:49   #25336
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Another report I read says that the Ritz driver died.

Which is why I never stay in the fast lane if I can avoid it, and even prefer the one at the extreme left. But how many things can one defend against?
True it seems like Ritz driver died.
The thought of opposite side car coming towards you does cross my mind when on Eway. The median has thick growth of bushes in some places, hence even if a car does go out of control on other side and is headed towards you in such places, it too late to react since its out of sight for most time.

Brifen ropes is the only quick solution here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
1) A majority of our population isn't conditioned to replace tyres at specific intervals (both time and kms driven)
2) Tyre pressures are rarely monitored; wonder how many people make it a point to check air pressure periodically (fortnightly); more so, at least know what the right pressure should be
Cars in western countries have a tyres which can handle those speeds.
Its high time personal cars should have some kind of RTO inspection every 3-4 years ( Just like yellow plate cars ), to ensure they are in good condition.

Atleast get tyre pressure checked during eway runs. Not sure if using Nitrogen is a good for people who don't check tyre pressure frequently.

Last edited by silverado : 21st December 2017 at 16:52.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2017, 19:16   #25337
Senior - BHPian

The thing is that when the e way opened in about 2000, all of this was foreseen. Speeding, loss of control, and inability of drivers and tyres to cope with this. And the consequent deaths.

But nothing was done to regulate the biggest killer - over speeding. It isn't difficult to do if there is a will to do what it takes to stop the speeding - paltry fines are not the answer. But this is India and life is cheap. So, the death toll will keep rising.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2017, 19:25   #25338
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
The thought of opposite side car coming towards you does cross my mind when on Eway. The median has thick growth of bushes in some places, hence even if a car does go out of control on other side and is headed towards you in such places, it too late to react since its out of sight for most time.
I in fact like the NICE Road layout in Bangalore where they follow the US Interstate system of a huge central runoff area. At least it ensures little chance of such a head on collision.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screenshot_20171221192725.jpg  

Last edited by itwasntme : 21st December 2017 at 19:28.
itwasntme is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 12:19   #25339
BHPian

Correct. Many high speed roads are created with this kind of a section in mind that attempts to arrest the runaway vehicle in the ditch. However this does not work for fast corners where it should be supported with guard rails as well. Sand or loose gravel probably will be better than grass and ground.

Attached image is an approximation due to perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I in fact like the NICE Road layout in Bangalore where they follow the US Interstate system of a huge central runoff area. At least it ensures little chance of such a head on collision.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-nicebangalore.jpg  

Last edited by shubhodeepdas@g : 22nd December 2017 at 12:42.
shubhodeepdas@g is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2017, 06:22   #25340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
Many high speed roads are created with this kind of a section in mind that attempts to arrest the runaway vehicle in the ditch. However this does not work for fast corners where it should be supported with guard rails as well. Sand or loose gravel probably will be better than grass and ground.
You mean roads in the developed countries are built this way. Highway building needs a lot more engineering including understanding of traffic dynamics than just acquiring land, levelling it, and pouring concrete over it. The latter is our core competency, no doubt. The turns and cambers on many Indian highways do the opposite of being a safer road, they actively funnel cars towards an accident. And the less said about service road design, the better.
Sawyer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2017, 14:00   #25341
Distinguished - BHPian

That's true. I believe the responsibility is with the driver. No road actually causes an accident. But there is certainly a difference between less and more safe roads.

Building less-safe roads, especially when also making them apparently faster is kind-of crazy.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2017, 14:38   #25342
BHPian

Quote:
Thirty-three passengers died after a private bus they were travelling in lost balance fell into 100-foot Banas river bridge in Malarna Dungar area of Rajasthan’s Sawai Madhopur on Saturday, police said.

The accident occurred around 7:30am when the driver of the 34-seater bus from Madhya Pradesh was trying to overtake another vehicle. The passengers were coming from Lalsot in Dausa to visit Ramdevji.

Superintendent of police Maman Singh said the cause of incident would be disclosed after an inquiry. Prima facie it is being seen that an untrained minor was driving the bus, he said.
SOURCE

If it is true that an untrained minor was driving the bus, then the operator needs to be .

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-_59330aece79c11e7bd8cdad1885580ce.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-_2c62fc90e7a411e7bd8cdad1885580ce.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-_933bf528e7ba11e7bd8cdad1885580ce.jpg
Shanksta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2017, 15:24   #25343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
No road actually causes an accident.
Some roads come very close to giving an impression to the contrary. On the e way from Pune to Mumbai there is a well known place just before starting the climb down the ghats, where a long downhill section that ends in a turn that tightens in the course of it can trap an unwary/inexperienced driver into running out of road before enough speed has been shed.

There are similar places on the national highway coming into Pune from Bangalore where long downhill stretches with tightening turns at their end have the same effect.

And I have seen two way service roads where they join the one way bypass from Mumbai to Bangalore designed as if causing accidents were the objective of the design.
Sawyer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2017, 17:09   #25344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
a private bus they were travelling in lost balance
So the bus lost balance..... interesting way of starting off the news article.
Although the article later mentions the exact circumstance, this almost sounds like a faulty bus at the beginning of the article.

Last edited by BenjiRoss : 23rd December 2017 at 17:10.
Old 23rd December 2017, 22:47   #25345
BHPian

Accident recorded on my dashcam, passed the spot just minutes after the accident, the i10 jumped over from the opposite lane

I slowed down as soon as I spotted the accident and turned on my blinkers to warn the traffic behind me, except for the impatient duster driver everyone else slowed down.

Emergency response team was very quick to reach the accident spot as seen in the video.

Last edited by sinharishi : 23rd December 2017 at 22:51.
sinharishi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th December 2017, 00:20   #25346
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Some roads come very close to giving an impression to the contrary.
Indeed. Wrong camber makes the car feel like it is trying to fly in the wrong direction. Simple stuff like utter unexpected road layout can... well, I went, ahem, off road when I completely failed to take a corner that, according to me, just should never have been there. Ten marks to luck, that I stopped my sideways off-road excursion before hitting anything, zero marks to my driving skills at that moment. I can say the road was bad, but I can't blame it for the almost-an-accident that I suffered. Dented ego, though.

(this was in the UK, and the real problem was negotiating rural roads, in the dark, tired after a long drive.)
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2017, 00:29   #25347
BHPian

I received the following video as a whatsapp forward.
Seems very relevant to this thread.
Talks about the 3 second rule.

Ithaca is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th December 2017, 21:07   #25348
BHPian

Two things happened on the way to work today:

1) A Mercedes somewhat 'crashed' on the side of the road. Not sure what exactly happened but the car didn't have much damage. All the glass was intact, maybe some parking maneuver gone wrong, but no one uses that road for parking.
2) Shortly afterwards, a girl on a scooter was trying to squeeze her way between a cab and an auto, hit the cab and nearly fell.

ROG_AK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2017, 12:59   #25349
Senior - BHPian

On this Sunday, while going from Udaipur to Mount Abu, we noticed two accidents. In the first one, one truck from the oncoming lane had come on this side and smashed into the side of a trailer truck. There were already lots of police, two cranes and 3 ambulances on the site.

Just before this crash site, the police had diverted the traffic on to the opposite side, through a u-turn gap in the divider. No sooner, than we had passed the trucks, another one happened a few minutes before our car passed. An old gen Verna coming from the opposite side failed to notice that there was a diversion and crashed head on; onto a Beat which was in front of us. Both the car's had their front end completely destroyed, but the cabin was intact. There was green coolant all over the road, and steam coming out of both the cars. Sadly the person sitting in the Beat seemed to have passed away, he wasn't moving at all; and there was a huge dent on the front left side of the windscreen. It was clear he had not worn the seat belt.

The Verna driver was sitting dazed on the divider, looked like he was not seriously hurt but was very shocked. There were two ladies in the Beat, both screaming hysterically; but unfortunately there was nothing that could be done. The beat driver had belted up and was not hurt, he had come out of the car and was shouting for help at every passing car.

Stopped for a few minutes to see if we could help with anything. By that time the locals had managed to pull out the person and lay him on the divider. Someone was already calling the ambulance and police; thankfully the guy had the right sense to park his BRV on the extreme right side and turn on his hazard lights; and not park in the lane next to the divider (to possibly cause one more crash).

I guess, it was too late by then; a case where everyone was at fault -
  • The Verna driver for failing to notice the diversion and most likely speeding.
  • The person in the Beat for not wearing a seat belt.
  • The police for not clearly marking the lanes on the opposite side; and only diverting the traffic to the other side through the gap in the median.
I always seem to notice two common things -
  • Most of the common people who own and drive cars make silly excuses for not wearing seat belts in India, in spite of so many examples of road accidents.
  • More than the white collared people (who simply stare at the accident and pass by in their cars), it's the locals, labourers and other general public who lend out a helping hand; more often than not.
W.A.G.7 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th December 2017, 13:13   #25350
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
[*]More than the white collared people (who simply stare at the accident and pass by in their cars), it's the locals, labourers and other general public who lend out a helping hand; more often than not.[/list]
This is indeed a bitter truth. Is it because of our judiciary and law enforcement that we hesitate to get entangled in these incidents, is it because most people have too much on their plate, too many things to do and too many places to be that this is too much of an inconvenience or is it that we have become too thick-skinned to not let it affect us, or a combination of everything.

Fact remains, very few will stop to help out in an accident. Those who do, I have immense respect.
libranof1987 is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed