Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2018, 09:28   #26431
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Apart from the three second rule or five second rule, one must be able to see not just the vehicle ahead but also the road further ahead of that vehicle in order to anticipate the vehicle's maneuver and then have those few seconds to react appropriately.

In the hurry to overtake, many drivers are driving in the slipstream of the vehicle ahead and a sudden stop or reduction in speed will inevitably result in a catastrophe such as this.
Exactly. Even if you maintain distance in front, someone will be close behind, sitting in your slipstream. I try my best to slow a bit and let them get ahead, but some of them are hell bent on following, especially in the night
Old 28th May 2018, 11:24   #26432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
Exactly. Even if you maintain distance in front, someone will be close behind, sitting in your slipstream. I try my best to slow a bit and let them get ahead, but some of them are hell bent on following, especially in the night
This behavior is so irritating. Let's say there is a car/van overtaking a slower moving vehicle on a divided road. What I do generally is leave enough gap behind them to be sure I can overtake as well or not based on what's in front of them but the people behind me generally get too worked up on me not filling that gap. I'm not even talking about 4-5 car lengths gap for 80kmph like in the West but just 2 cars gap atmost. Once I can see, I push the gas, overtake and let the idiots behind me go ahead but they abolutely harass by incessant honking during day or flashing lights during nights until then. Wouldn't even have saved them 2 seconds.
Yieldway17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 13:06   #26433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...with their high beams and aux lights and light bars blazing into our RVMs.

Some just don't get it even if we slow down, they somehow feel safe and cocooned in our slipstream
Old 28th May 2018, 14:07   #26434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
See, in this case the victim was moved in to a car in under a minute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
That was very heartening to see!
All good and heartening, but is it the right thing to do?

Definitely not in case of head injuries. Because the act of lifting and carrying the victim might be aggravating any head injury. The correct method would be to secure the head and neck, and then shift the person.

I have seen someone die because of over enthusiastic helpers.
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 14:07   #26435
BHPian

Quote:
Exactly. Even if you maintain distance in front, someone will be close behind, sitting in your slipstream.

This is the biggest challenge, oflate in national highways too, similar to city traffic, but at high speeds. While I drive at the extreme left lane, leaving the right lane for the others, still, I used to see someone very close behind. This makes us to look back also, before applying brakes. It's really annoying and unsafe, especially with headlights on. That's the reason, I stopped night driving itself.

When it comes to city driving, motor cyclists are the scariest in slipstream. My Swift had maximum number of hits , only in the rear, and all by the motor cyclists, that too while waiting for signals in Chennai.

Driving is all about correct judgement and misjudgment ends with accidents!
Old 28th May 2018, 14:10   #26436
BHPian

Captured this on my dashcam yesterday on the Kundalahalli main road, Bangalore. The two wheeler guy was on phone, not wearing helmet, doubt if he has a driving license even. Saw few locals gathering at the spot and roughing up the car driver... Any one has any info, please drop me a PM and will provide the footage as evidence..

Last edited by vinair : 28th May 2018 at 14:12.
vinair is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 14:12   #26437
BHPian

Many Indians are obsessed with high beams, even If they don't benefit out of it. It's a daily routine to see even parked cars with their high beams on. Some use high beams even while reversing.

Low beam will have better visibility, If you're speed is <50 kmph.

You should never use high beam, If you're trailing other cars.
jaaz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 14:59   #26438
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
All good and heartening, but is it the right thing to do?
No it may be not the right thing to do I agree Sam.

But then, let's give the benefit of doubt here assuming that the helpers knew to what extent the victim was hurt. In fact, we also know the way injured victims are carried on stretchers without securing the straps to affected body parts that also is not the right way.

All I meant was that here the passersby didn't start to take out their phones and click pictures or videos that has so become a norm today.
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 16:05   #26439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
Saw few locals gathering at the spot and roughing up the car driver...

That's really unfortunate. Car driver could have and may be should have stopped but the biker saw the car, saw the bus stopping and give way and still went ahead in front of the car. Not surprised though as these bike riders believe it's the way to ride and they are always correct.
Yieldway17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 16:57   #26440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
Captured this on my dashcam yesterday on the Kundalahalli main road, Bangalore. The two wheeler guy was on phone, not wearing helmet, doubt if he has a driving license even. Saw few locals gathering at the spot and roughing up the car driver... Any one has any info, please drop me a PM and will provide the footage as evidence..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
That's really unfortunate. Car driver could have and may be should have stopped but the biker saw the car, saw the bus stopping and give way and still went ahead in front of the car. Not surprised though as these bike riders believe it's the way to ride and they are always correct.
Infact the car driver is also in the wrong. It is bad traffic manners to join the main road like he has done. What I always do is to take a left, drive ahead and look for a U-turn. But who has the patience?

Last edited by rajivr1612 : 28th May 2018 at 17:21.
rajivr1612 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 17:11   #26441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
Infact the car driver is also in the wrong. It is traffic manners to join the main road like he has done. What I always do is to take a left, drive ahead and look for a U-turn. But who has the patience?
Agreed and hence I mentioned that the car driver could and should have stopped and gave way to the bike.

On the patience to take a left and a U-turn, I must mention that I join/cross very similarly from a side road to a highway to get to anywhere from my home. When I started driving, I did exactly what you said. But taking a U-turn even though in theory is safer is not much safer practically here as no one wants to yield at all when attempting to U-turn without a traffic signal. At least when crossing, as volume gathers on side roads, crowd inches further and stops the traffic to cross safely. So I gave up and joined the crowd to cross at the junction.

Also to mention, in this stretch of the road where I live, there is not a single traffic signal for miles as NHAI thinks there shouldn't be signals on highways which is correct from their end. But either they shouldn't have provided so many T and full junctions for all the side roads or should have planned better. The highway is in fast growing suburbs and is essentially considered as a city road for all purposes. I don't know who to blame, town planners, city/town administration, NHAI or the people like me who live here.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 28th May 2018 at 17:40.
Yieldway17 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 17:26   #26442
Senior - BHPian

This hit and run was captured by my friend’s dashcam near Marur toll plaza.

It was the biker’s fault to barge into the fast lane without checking, but the Terrano did not even stop after the hit.

Friend says the Terrano was driving rashly and had couple near misses before this incident.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-1f1e9423dd154227ac385a6728ad9463.jpeg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-accf4ac48d0d428daf8737508bb50320.jpeg
DRIV3R is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 17:54   #26443
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Didn't understand this intentional accident. Insurance fraud? Thanks to Madhav Anil for sharing.

GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 18:36   #26444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Didn't understand this intentional accident. Insurance fraud? Thanks to Madhav Anil for sharing.
Maybe they read all the posts about Maruti's build quality and decided to check for themselves!

The Terrano video posted above was scary. Dude was literally going pedal to the metal and if he had braked at that speed, pretty sure he would have toppled or flown over the divider like a hellfire missile onto the opposite side!

Biker who was probably in la la land without a care in the world paid the price.
deathwalkr is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 20:32   #26445
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
As you mentioned, insurance fraud is likely here. The Swift had a cracked front windshield to begin with (seen in the video before they committed a kamikaze attack on the brick-stack). That made me all the more suspicious of insurance fraud; this is the modus operandi that even a certain Maruti service center that I know of employs to "help" car owners avail of insurance money for repairs when there are relatively minor dings in a car's body.

But this just seems like overkill...why incur extensive body damage and drive down resale value in the future? Hmm...
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed