Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2018, 14:06   #26521
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
I was really surprised to see such a behaviour, the car behind me managed to brake and swerve to left, the car ahead of me too did the same. What actually surprised me was that how this person even managed to drive in the opposite side of such a busy stretch!! Anyone who knows the Delhi-Meerut stretch will understand what sort of traffic density I am talking of.
20 years ago in Jamshedpur, as a teenager in class 10, I witnessed my school-van driver training his younger brother to drive the Omni when we kids were in the vehicle. The seasoned elder brother instructed the younger one to take the wrong-side, and drive on what was the fast lane for the oncoming traffic, adjoining the median. (The inner-city roads in Jamshedpur were neatly laid like the national highways of the Golden Quadrilateral were later on, even back in the late '90s.)

Headlights on karo aur phir isi side pe chalao, phir neelima ke ghar ke saamne right maaro. Side waale lane mein wrong-side thode hi chalate hain...yahi theek hai. Risk nahin lene ka hai. ("Turn on the headlights and drive just like this (i.e., the fast lane). It is not the right method to drive facing oncoming traffic on their slow lane, when you're driving on the wrong side. There's no need to take risks [!]")

I'll always remember the fact that our drivers get mis-educated in this manner by their fore-runners and their fathers before them. And I have observed that 8 out of 10 commercial vehicle drivers do systematically drive on the fast lane, facing oncoming traffic, with their headlights on. Kyun ki risk nahin lene ka hai, nah?
locusjag is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th June 2018, 15:42   #26522
Senior - BHPian

Spotted this Toyota Corolla at Anand.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-20180606_091735.jpg
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2018, 21:12   #26523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
I had seen something similar on YouTube earlier, sharing it here.
Trying a costly but faulty part replacement through accident insurance claim. That's anther chance. I know a guy who had done it with his fluence.

Last edited by bblost : 7th June 2018 at 00:44. Reason: removed embedded video.
Old 8th June 2018, 21:01   #26524
BHPian

Got these pics from multiple what's app sources so seems to have occurred today. No idea on the fate of the brezza driver but the fire department had to cut open the car to get to the driver.

I don't know how this accident happened but hope the driver is alive.

Another reason why trucks require underrun protection, may prevent these accidents in future.
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20180608wa0013.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20180608wa0021.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20180608wa0006.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20180608wa0019.jpg  

Last edited by rambo1o1 : 8th June 2018 at 21:04.
rambo1o1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2018, 21:32   #26525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post

Another reason why trucks require underrun protection, may prevent these accidents in future.
Sadly, I don't think from the looks of it.

The truck does have one in the front, but it looks like the speeds were too high for it do any protection.

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th June 2018 at 15:31. Reason: minor typo
Old 8th June 2018, 22:02   #26526
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:

Underrun issues we mostly see for the side and rear impacts on the truck. This brezza has smashed straight into the H ladder frame of the truck, it has not "underrun" much (headlights on the truck are intact, however the roof of the brezza seems to have been cut open by rescue team). A simple case of david vs goliath

Last edited by venkyhere : 8th June 2018 at 22:03.
venkyhere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2018, 23:55   #26527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looking at the position of the truck and movement of other vehicles, it appears that overtaking went wrong for the Brezza. Truck appears to be on proper lane and was stopped at an angle, maybe it was trying to give some room to the Brezza. Also, I see solid line at centre of the road, so overtaking should not have been attempted at this spot. Another possibility is driver fell asleep at the wheel.

Last edited by airbus : 8th June 2018 at 23:58.
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2018, 03:23   #26528
Senior - BHPian

I had witnessed this accident on June 6th Wednesday. Some bruises on the leg of the lady riding pillion.

govigov is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 9th June 2018, 09:58   #26529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
I had witnessed this accident on June 6th Wednesday. Some bruises on the leg of the lady riding pillion.
Ah our lovely wide multiple lane highways

Been ages since i took the car out for a drive between towns. Trains no matter how late they run have been the preferred choice. Less drama.
deathwalkr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2018, 11:35   #26530
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
...Also, I see solid line at centre of the road, so overtaking should not have been attempted at this spot.
Both accidents could have been avoided if the Truck in the video and the Brezza remained in their lanes respecting the white line. And the only way to get this done is through imposing some minimum speed limits along with a maximum. Although its a continuous white line, but it can be mighty frustrating and sometimes outright impossible to follow a tractor doing 10 kph on an incline.

Quote:
Lets not blame the Truck or the Brezza here, looking at the pics its clear that its a high speed small overlap crash which ripped out the side of the car. Very few German giants manufactured before 2016 will survive this type of crash.
Old 9th June 2018, 14:30   #26531
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That trucker has absolutely no right to be in the middle of the road, attempting to overtake in the face of oncoming traffic.

But let me tell another story. On a Chennai city street, I am driving on my side of the road, and I see a guy driving towards me, straddling the centre. There is room on my left, but hotheadedness takes my mind off defensive driving. The guy was drunk and hit me. It was expensive. Defensive driving saves money as well as lives.

So here we have a trucker breaking the law and driving dangerously. And we have a pair of two-wheelers, minding their own business, perfectly legally, absolutely on their side of the road. But two-abreast, and that places the rightmost rider closer to danger.

So what is that lady supposed to do? Either she failed to look ahead at all, or she thought like I did. Sadly, both are likely to have the same result.

Absolutely the truck driver's fault. He should be prosecuted (not that there is anything unusual in that driving style) but, the lady could easily have avoided the bruises to her and her vehicle. And the accident could easily have been much, much worse for her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Ah our lovely wide multiple lane highways
Sure, totally deficient roads. But people have to drive on the roads they have. Even UK has miles and miles of two-way "A" roads. Get stuck behind a slow agricultural vehicle around never ending curves? Stay stuck. The journey takes as long as it takes. How to change people's egos (or, sometimes, their employers' requirement) that one's journey time is not what should dictate the driving.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th June 2018, 17:53   #26532
BHPian

Yesterday witnessed an accident involving a cement mixer truck and a bike. While returning from Meerut my brother's car and the truck stopped side by side on a signal as it is red as soon as it turns green a couple on a bike arrives and the lady gives a hand to the truck to stop and let them go, in the meantime my brother had started moving a few seconds later the truck also moves just to witness the hand of the lady and stop, I started looking back because I got a hunch as something will happen . So the truck stopped and so did the bike so the truck started moving and so did they and the truck was late to brake and stopped only after the front wheel of the bike had got crushed under it's tyre. The couple came out unhurt. I was shocked to see their mentality of stopping the truck
Old 9th June 2018, 18:34   #26533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Sure, totally deficient roads. But people have to drive on the roads they have. Even UK has miles and miles of two-way "A" roads. Get stuck behind a slow agricultural vehicle around never ending curves? Stay stuck. The journey takes as long as it takes. How to change people's egos (or, sometimes, their employers' requirement) that one's journey time is not what should dictate the driving.
But of course. Try teaching that to the people on the road here!

Like i said in a previous post somewhere, we see a gap we fill it. Right or wrong be damned. Just boggles the mind just how easy we take the rules of the road and like they say, common sense is not so common

Last edited by deathwalkr : 9th June 2018 at 18:36.
deathwalkr is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th June 2018, 23:08   #26534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvharder View Post
Yesterday witnessed an accident involving a cement mixer truck and a bike. While returning from Meerut my brother's car and the truck stopped side by side on a signal as it is red as soon as it turns green a couple on a bike arrives and the lady gives a hand to the truck to stop and let them go, in the meantime my brother had started moving a few seconds later the truck also moves just to witness the hand of the lady and stop, I started looking back because I got a hunch as something will happen . So the truck stopped and so did the bike so the truck started moving and so did they and the truck was late to brake and stopped only after the front wheel of the bike had got crushed under it's tyre. The couple came out unhurt. I was shocked to see their mentality of stopping the truck
Forgot to add they had appeared from a side lane and wanted to cross the road from front of the truck.
Old 10th June 2018, 00:03   #26535
BHPian

Witnessed another one just now was returning with the driver from airport after picking up my dad and suddenly out of nowhere a white Honda city jumps of the divider landing in bang middle of the road on our side. The girl appeared to be drunk got out of the car and just drove off like nothing had happened.

Last edited by revvharder : 10th June 2018 at 00:11.
revvharder is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks