Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2018, 15:22   #26656
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
Just watched this in the news. It said, the truck had a tire burst and lost control and collided with the Jeep coming in the opposite direction.
Tyre-burst as a cause of fatal crashes:

If I had a 100 Rupee note for every such crash that I've either read about or heard someone i've known getting involved in, there'd be a neat sum of Rs.1 Lakh accumulated in the past 8 years.

That's why I worry about the worthiness of tyres the way Woody Allen's hypochondriac characters worried about their health in so many of his movies. The local tyre-shops probably think I'm a nutjob who generates sales for them but this year alone - I've made my uncle buy 4 tyres to replace his gnarled 2009-manufactured tyres on his Swift and made my colleague change all 4 of his cracked 2012-manufactured tyres on his WagonR.

Hell, I just saw a nail embedded in an Orange-colored i10's front left tyre in my office's parking lot. This car has a Tbhp sticker on it. I guess I'll leave a note on their wiper...but I digress.

I can tell you this much - there is very little awareness among the car-owning junta about the importance of maintaining one's tyres' health. Which is why my aunt's Ritz launched into somersaults on the highway in 2017 after a tyre-burst. She has a limp and an un-treatable hip injury to show for it today.

The less I say about the maintenance levels of commercial vehicles on our roads, the better. So I have nothing to say at all about this horrific crash in Karnataka where the lorry had a tyre-burst. What can be done about it? Create a functioning highway police patrol throughout the country who, among other things, would also penalize drivers for driving around on visibly worn-out tyres?
locusjag is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th July 2018, 21:18   #26657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midas View Post
News channel dramatized the video so much with effects that it's not clear what happened there :banghead:. They should've shown the raw footage.
There is a raw video somewhere else on youtube and it is extremely disturbing. The bus had initially stopped after hitting and dragging the woman and probably she still alive, but it is seen that the driver later drove ahead crushing her.

Quote:
It said, the truck had a tire burst and lost control and collided with the Jeep coming in the opposite direction.
The easiest cause of the accident that one can arrive at. The tyres are the first to be blamed during any such similar accidents. I am very familiar with this stretch, it is probably one of the narrowest National Highway in India with high traffic. There is no margin for error if the speeds are high. This could be also a case of an overtaking gone wrong, or the jeep driver dozing off, given that they were on a long trip as per the report.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 9th July 2018 at 21:19.
Old 9th July 2018, 22:54   #26658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
In an early morning road accident, 5 people lost their lives when a jeep hit a lorry at Uppala in Kasaragod district. The jeep was going towards Mangalore.
The NH 17, Panvel to Edapally in Kochi, is probably one of the most dangerous roads in India, especially once you start coming further south after Kumta, all the way to Edapally. And once you enter Kerala, the danger levels are doubled. It is the main arterial road, and probably the only road which connects the South to the North. So the amount of traffic on that road is unbelievable once you enter Kerala. The road is really narrow and really crowded with all sorts of traffic you can think of including loads of pedestrians. I can't fathom why we Indians can't understand the simple fact that you should walk on the right side of the road, facing the oncoming traffic. Not with your backs turned away totally unaware of what's happening behind you, especially on a narrow highway with no foot path. Driving style here is absolutely pathetic with inflated egos. Maniacal bus drivers add to the chaos. Calling it a National Highway, at least the stretch in Kerala, is a joke.

Earlier, when I used to live in Mumbai, I used to make regular road trips to Trichur via this road. At that time, even the Panvel-Goa stretch was extremely dangerous. I haven't been on that stretch in a long time, so cannot comment on the present condition, although I have been told this stretch is much safer now. You had to be on your guard the entire 1200 odd kms. The Karwar - Kumta stretch used to be relatively less crowded. I have had multiple close calls and hair-raising moments on that road. Even then it used to be the default choice for a trip to Kerala.

Then, once, my cousins met with an accident on this road near Savantvadi. They were in a Toyota 4runner, taking a wide right hander. An Indica taxi coming in the opposite direction didn't take the turn, the driver fell asleep. As per my cousin, he was doing around 60 or 70 then. The Indica hit the 4runner squarely on the front right tyre and went flying over the bonnet into the field, toppling multiple times. No airbags or any safety systems to speak of in either car. It was a 1995 model 4runner. The Indica was a write off and the 4runner suffered substantial damage forward of the windshield. The chassis was bent. It is still running, but just. Looks like a Qualirunner now, with most parts salvaged from the Qualis parts bin.
The driver of the Indica suffered major injuries and lost his legs. The lone passenger in the Indica came out unscathed. He was sitting unbelted in the back seat. Unbelievable. My cousin brothers, sitting in the front seats had only minor injuries. Both were belted. My little neice, bhabi and aunt at the back, were all unbelted. Bhabi broke one of her fingers, aunt cracked her jaw. The kid was unbelievably, unhurt. Not a scratch. Apparently, the large teddy bear she was holding, cushioned her. Thank God.

I stopped using that road from that day. Thankfully, by then the GQ had opened up and I always took the NH 4 ever since even though it is about 150 - 200 kms more.

I love to drive. So much so, that driving is the first choice as long as the destination is in India. But, I hate to drive on this road and avoid it like the plague.
SCORPION is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th July 2018, 00:49   #26659
Senior - BHPian

Spotted on the way to Jog falls. The loose mud on the side meant that the Force Toofan was completely stuck until enough people managed to push it out.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-whatsapp-image-20180707-16.14.49.jpeg
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2018, 10:23   #26660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Tyre-burst as a cause of fatal crashes....
....would also penalize drivers for driving around on visibly worn-out tyres?
There have been so many times when I have seen completely bald and worn out rear tyres on trucks. So much that sometimes the inner tyre at the back isn't even touching the road. I feel that all that weight only on 1 tyre when it's supposed to be evenly spread out across 2 tyres is a tyre bust incident just waiting to happen.

Sad situation, but unfortunately true :(
Turrrb0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2018, 11:35   #26661
BHPian

Received this video on a WhatsApp group. Have converted it to a smaller GIF.

Name:  Omni_Save_GIF.gif
Views: 7543
Size:  2.78 MB

It was a crazy near-miss for the Omni driver! The stupidity doesn't end with the incident. Look how they continue to stay stagnant in the right lane of what seems to be a 6-lane highway and exchange pleasantries.

PS: Have zipped and uploaded the full video with this post.

[ATTACH=WhatsApp Video 2018-07-10 at 10.34.05 AM.zip]1780521[/ATTACH]
Attached Files
File Type: zip WhatsApp Video 2018-07-10 at 10.34.05 AM.zip (4.70 MB, 1028 views)
Added_flavor is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 10th July 2018, 12:12   #26662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
It was a crazy near-miss for the Omni driver!

Talk about luck! This guy can't be luckier than this! Amazing that nothing happened to him / his car. He's in shock which is clear from his body language.
Old 10th July 2018, 12:23   #26663
BHPian

Quote:
It was a crazy near-miss for the Omni driver! The stupidity doesn't end with the incident. Look how they continue to stay stagnant in the right lane of what seems to be a 6-lane highway and exchange pleasantries.
This chap is really lucky and so is the camera car driver. The later should have slowed down when the truck moved into his lane, he could have easily avoided the "pleasantries" with the Omni chap as well.
Old 10th July 2018, 12:25   #26664
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Received this video on a WhatsApp group.
Whoa! What happened there? Looks like the Omni was initially in the middle-lane, with trucks on either side of it, one forward of it on the left and one flanking it on the right.

Did he pull the handbrake, maybe by accident?

He completed a full 'U' turn in front of the truck following him on his right. Looks to me like one of those handbrake-turns that Clarkson and Hammond keep droning about.
Old 10th July 2018, 13:22   #26665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
This chap is really lucky and so is the camera car driver. The later should have slowed down when the truck moved into his lane, he could have easily avoided the "pleasantries" with the Omni chap as well.
Hahaha, pleasantries is an understatement. Looks like a group of friends gathered outside their neighborhood "hole in the wall" tea shop for a chai and ciggies.
Quote:
Did he pull the handbrake, maybe by accident?

He completed a full 'U' turn in front of the truck following him on his right. Looks to me like one of those handbrake-turns that Clarkson and Hammond keep droning about.
I think it was just a perfectly pulled off freak PIT maneuver (https://www.google.co.in/search?q=pi...hrome&ie=UTF-8) by the trucker because of the omni driver suddenly cutting into his lane to avoid the heavy vehicles which seem to be stationary and partially protruding into the highway on the leftmost lane.

Just so many wrongs in this video that it's almost funny. I must say, all the parties involved in this incident are extremely lucky to have come out smiling and unscathed.
Turrrb0 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2018, 14:07   #26666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
A fatal accident involving a 2 wheeler in Mumbai.
Video is disturbing.
The worst part here is that the cops have registered a case against the bus driver for rash and negligent driving. How is the bus driver responsible here (if we leave the fact that he is driving the bus)? These draconian laws need an overhaul at the earliest else innocent people will have ruined lives

EDIT - Saw the raw video. As someone mentioned above, if he stopped and then started again, running over the woman, then guess he should booked

Last edited by centaur : 10th July 2018 at 14:15.
Old 10th July 2018, 19:58   #26667
BHPian

Quote:
It is evident that he did not have his seat belt on. Look at the way he gets thrown around in the drivers seat.
This reminded me of seeing the TV series showing police chases, where the cop cars nudge the car at the rear to get it to spin. Way too many things that happened exactly 'within limits'.

I hope the Omni driver was wearing brown pants
Old 11th July 2018, 10:18   #26668
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1780520

The first thing he does when he gets out of the car is to collect the fallen wheel cap . I suppose he was not completely out of the shock his system must have been going through. Extremely lucky
Old 11th July 2018, 10:30   #26669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1780520

Quote:
Whoa! What happened there? Looks like the Omni was initially in the middle-lane, with trucks on either side of it, one forward of it on the left and one flanking it on the right.
See the full dash cam video of the Duster before commenting. It is available on the net. The van overtook the black duster in RH lane from LH. Then moved to extreme left to overtake the truck. There is a yellow trailer with ODC cargo in extreme LH lane. The trucker has started braking and moving partially into RH lane way in time, he must have seen fast aproaching cars in both RVM's, and must have made only enough clearance for the VAN to clear the ODC on LH, leaving place for the Black Duster in the RH lane.
Duster has also braked, but being much faster than the truck come parallel to it the truck brake lights are on at 10:08:49 just as the tail of the van is dissapearing on its LH and hit the Van which has spun in its path. The truck has come to a dead stop, and immediately moved on, as his path is clear.

Quote:
Probably, or a no weight RWD drawing a donut when the driver cuts ahead of the truck and floors. These vans are known to do that under hars acceleration, expecially when a slipping clutch suddenly grips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
He is already braking, but being much faster than the truck not braking fast enough.
The vibration just before the crash are due to ABS .

Rahul

Last edited by Rahul Rao : 11th July 2018 at 10:39.
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2018, 10:50   #26670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just watched this in the news. It said, the truck had a tire burst and lost control and collided with the Jeep coming in the opposite direction.
The truck is completely out on the LH side of the road, and damage to RH side.
With a right tyre burst it should have moved to the RH of the road, not LH.
Or has it taken a full 180* after hitting.

Rahul

Last edited by Rahul Rao : 11th July 2018 at 10:52.

Most Viewed