Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2018, 02:33   #26761
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Law apart, it ought to be common sense that overtaking is done on the right. Especially on a road with no divider. Whenever going faster than other vehicles on such a road, it is always best to stay on the right IMO. I do overtake from the left on occasion but only in much slower moving traffic on clogged up roads. At the end of the day most laws come from a little common sense. If only all this is taught and tested properly when it comes to issuing out driving/riding licenses, our country would have so much less dangerous roads to drive/ride/cross
IshaanIan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2018, 06:56   #26762
Senior - BHPian

Another celebrity accident. Not enough details in the article to infer what happened, so no comments on how this happened.
Actor Siddharth Shukla Crashes BMW Into 3 Cars, Mumbai Road Divider: Cops

https://www.ndtv.com/mumbai-news/tv-...akamai-rum=off
Old 22nd July 2018, 22:28   #26763
BHPian

Here in Hyderabad most of the zebra crossings are not covered by a proper signal. I dont know whether same goes here or not as it is not clear from the footage. But given that bus was normally moving, apparently the signal was either green for cars or there were no signal at all. If there was green signal then biker is at fault. If the signal was green then the pedestrian. But if there was no signal then the infrastructure is clearly at fault, who failed to understand a proper signal is necessary for somebody to cross the road.

More than anything else, I am shocked to see the headline of news channel. "Speeding Bike", "Priest".. They can surely make C grade masala movie. A leading media got to have certain sense of responsibilities. How long you want to make money out of everything??

Last edited by cp171185 : 22nd July 2018 at 22:35. Reason: Addition of text.
Old 23rd July 2018, 08:33   #26764
Senior - BHPian

A couple of minor accidents. We somehow dismiss a lot of bumps and bruises as minor accidents and no-one changes anything.
A 'jeep' makes a rash turn on the wrong side and knocks down a 2 wheeler. No injury and so no lessons learnt obviously. The only thing that was lost is the riders daily wages as his products for sale are knocked down.
A 2 wheeler slowly tailgates a 4 wheeler and bumps, slips and falls in slow motion. All is well, so he will probably do the same thing again.

BenjiRoss is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2018, 08:55   #26765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
Yes, may be in Utopia.
Never been there, but pretty much everywhere in Western Europe.

During my driving lessons once I missed the stop line. The instructor apologised to the pedestrian and for the rest of my course every single day I was lectured about how to approach pedestrian crossings.
binand is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2018, 09:55   #26766
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post

However in this case, the biker is clearly not in a position to see the person crossing the road due to the bus obstructing his view.
YOU SAID IT!!!!
The biker couldn't see.
Then, the biker need to slow down.
He would have been far wiser [and safer] if he did not try to overtake the bus and use the bus as his shield against any pedestrians crossing at the ZEBRA.
If he crossed the ZEBRA along with the bus, with the bus getting onto the strip first, the priest would have gone home long ago and we all would have saved many key strokes
FORTified is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2018, 10:43   #26767
BHPian

Well, how can it be bikers fault?
When one is used to overtake from wrong side all the time, take non-existing gaps and cut other vehicles hundred times everyday, it is common sense to expect pedestrian to yield for you vehicles on zebra crossings!

If you talk to most riders they don't see anything wrong in cutting vehicles on roads or overtake around a turning vehicle. Once I was waiting at air pump behind another car and a biker. A second biker comes and joins the queue in front of me (not behind!). When I questioned him, his answer was it's common sense

On zebra crossing pedestrians have right of way, it is motorist/rider's responsibility to expect, observe, slow down & stop for people crossing. Period.

Last edited by Acharya : 23rd July 2018 at 10:51.
Acharya is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2018, 11:57   #26768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Never been there, but pretty much everywhere in Western Europe.

During my driving lessons once I missed the stop line. The instructor apologised to the pedestrian and for the rest of my course every single day I was lectured about how to approach pedestrian crossings.
Your location says 'Bangalore'. Do you drive in Bangalore? Why I ask is because I find it amusing that you find it fair to draw a comparison between Western Europe and India as far our roads are concerned. Even as I type, there is a thread right here on TBhp on the 'Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation' alone, running into 1059 pages and still counting. As far as the Indian roads, traffic and pedestrians are concerned, Western Europe is 'Utopia'. You have earned a driving license in the Utopia of the driving world where people actually respect traffic rules, adhere to speed limits, drive on the correct side of the road, obey traffic signals, follow lane discipline, do not honk unnecessarily, overtake from the correct side, stop at zebra crossings, generally ride/drive without being a nuisance to other road users, pedestrians do not jaywalk and use the foot paths and cross where they are supposed to, where vehicles are not overloaded, where people have patience, where people use their common sense - the list is endless, actually.

I assume you have an Indian driving license too? How was your experience compared to your experience in Germany?

So please, let's not compare Western Europe, Germany included, to Indian driving style. That would be futile in this accident that we were talking about. This was very much a typical Indian driving/riding/road crossing scenario. If it had happened, if at all, in Western Europe, the comments and posts here would have been entirely different.
SCORPION is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2018, 12:14   #26769
Senior - BHPian

Everyone on the roads just needs to slow down. It is not as if speeding up/ cutting across vehicles is going to save the average person from the clogged up traffic further ahead.
I have tried both ways and slowing down by a few kmph increased a few minutes of driving time but reduced my blood pressure by a lot. We are not in a race, no one is monitoring our riding/ driving as auditions for the next moto GP/ F1 race.
Take your time, take a few deep breaths. The extra few seconds here would have saved the priest an extended stay in the hospital and the biker multiple trips to the police stations. It could be much worse; just slow down everyone and enjoy your ride/ drive.
As of date, if someone wants to go faster, I just allow them to pass. Let us see how long that lasts for

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
If you talk to most riders they don't see anything wrong in cutting vehicles on roads or overtake around a turning vehicle. Once I was waiting at air pump behind another car and a biker. A second biker comes and joins the queue in front of me (not behind!). When I questioned him, his answer was it's common sense
It may be common, but there is definitely no sense in such behaviour.
selfdrive is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th July 2018, 09:40   #26770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Your location says 'Bangalore'. Do you drive in Bangalore? Why I ask is because I find it amusing that you find it fair to draw a comparison between Western Europe and India as far our roads are concerned. Even as I type, there is a thread right here on TBhp on the 'Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation' alone, running into 1059 pages and still counting.
Yes, I drive in Bangalore (and an occasional contributor to that thread you speak of). But I did not draw a comparison with Western Europe and India. What I said was that driving habits that include adequate respect for pedestrians is not a Utopian concept, but something that is being practised daily in Western Europe (and presumably elsewhere; I have seen it in Sri Lanka too) and hence it is not an unattainable target.

Quote:
I assume you have an Indian driving license too? How was your experience compared to your experience in Germany?
I haven't driven in Germany, not sure why you are bringing it up (maybe you are confusing me with someone else?). Mine's mostly in Spain and UK. The point is that even today I drive India the way I used to drive in Europe 10 years ago. It is not tough to practice.

Quote:
So please, let's not compare Western Europe, Germany included, to Indian driving style. That would be futile in this accident that we were talking about. This was very much a typical Indian driving/riding/road crossing scenario.
Let me put it this way. If I were in that biker's position I wouldn't have ended up in that accident. And I truly believe it is something everyone can practice, irrespective of the road conditions in India.
binand is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 24th July 2018, 09:46   #26771
Senior - BHPian

One more expensive car crash invokving a Jaguar- article is sketchy about the details.
It says there is cctv footage, so I'm sure that this video will come up soon.
Lots of injuries and about 10 cars damaged in this crash. Mobs damaged the offending car and driver before handing over to cops which seems to be the standard management of a driver who tries to runaway.
https://www.ndtv.com/mumbai-news/spe...home-topscroll
BenjiRoss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2018, 15:25   #26772
BHPian

Quote:
What I said was that driving habits that include adequate respect for pedestrians is not a Utopian concept, but something that is being practised daily in Western Europe (and presumably elsewhere; I have seen it in Sri Lanka too) and hence it is not an unattainable target.
Absolutely agree. I am in no way advocating that pedestrians should not be respected. They should be and they have every right to use the road. In the Indian context, analysing this accident, if I were to apportion a percentage blame, the pedestrian is 50% to blame, the biker 20%, the authorities who made that thoughtless crossing there 20% and the bus 10%, for blocking the entire right lane.
Things are very different in India and achieving the standards of road usage and etiquettes in developed countries certainly looks like a distant dream. We are light-years away. It could easily take us another century to reach anywhere near those levels. I doubt the mindset of people on the road has changed much since the last 50 years. If at all, it is only becoming worse each day.

Consider the same scenario, like you said, in Western Europe. Let's see what would have been different in that CCTV footage:

1. The zebra crossing wouldn't have been in that location. Had it been there, seeing it is such a busy road, there would have been a pedestrian crossing light with a switch that can be activated by the pedestrian. Or a foot over bridge instead.
2. A warning sign to motorists that a zebra crossing is coming up ahead - may be it is there here too, not sure. But in all probability, no. I can see rumble strips just before the crossing though.
3. The bus would have been on the left lane.
4. The biker would have been within the speed limit.
5. Biker would have waited for the bus to move over, before overtaking.
6. Both of them would have slowed down after seeing the red light for the pedestrians to cross.
7. The pedestrian himself wouldn't have run across like his tail was on fire.
8. That scooter wouldn't have been parked where it is parked on the road near the zebra crossing. Would have been parked in a designated parking area.

These are a few things I can see which would have been different in a sane country, and the accident wouldn't have occurred in the first place.

Quote:
I haven't driven in Germany, not sure why you are bringing it up (maybe you are confusing me with someone else?).
Sincere apologies. I mistook someone else's post as yours. I should have rechecked.

Quote:
Let me put it this way. If I were in that biker's position I wouldn't have ended up in that accident.
Agreed. Even if 10% of the Indian populace thought like you and me and like several others here, our roads would be a much nicer place to be in.

Last edited by SCORPION : 24th July 2018 at 15:32.
SCORPION is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th July 2018, 23:25   #26773
BHPian

Mumbai: 4 injured after Jaguar rams into 10 vehicles, locals thrash driver

Quote:
Four people, including children, were injured and ten cars were damaged after a speeding Jaguar rammed into them in Mumbai’s Versova on Monday evening. The injured were rushed to a nearby hospital. The driver of the Jaguar was apparently under the influence of alcohol and was thrashed by onlookers before he was handed over to the police. The locals damaged the car as well.

The driver, identified as Hitesh Golacha (45) allegedly lost control of the speeding Jaguar before ramming into the vehicles on a narrow road at New Madha Complex at around 7 pm in Versova.

It was only after police reached the spot and took the situation under control that Golacha was rushed to a hospital as he sustained injuries after locals thrashed him. He has been booked with rash and negligent driving under the Indian Penal Code, the police said.
Source:IndianExpress

Fraz33r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2018, 10:24   #26774
Senior - BHPian

For all those debating about Western countries vs India driving habits and pedestrian safety, please watch this video.
Those 2 pedestrians ran into oncoming traffic and caused accident.
I don't think there is any debate left to do about speeds and slowing down and defensive driving etc.
As someone rightly said, those in favour of the suicidal act of the pedestrians, please share dashcam footage from your respective cars, for a date prior to that incident and judge yourself.

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 25th July 2018 at 10:25. Reason: Typo
Soumyajit9 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th July 2018, 10:31   #26775
Senior - BHPian

The video complaints about the MVD vehicle not stopping by to help the accident victims.
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screen-shot-20180725-10.26.21-am.png

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screen-shot-20180725-10.26.34-am.png

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screen-shot-20180725-10.26.45-am.png

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screen-shot-20180725-10.27.01-am.png

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-screen-shot-20180725-10.27.11-am.png
ecenandu is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks